Chapter 1: Totally normal.
646 6 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I am normal, completely and utterly average. Your completely run of a mill teenage girl. I go to school like everyone else, I have a group of friends like everyone else. I have subjects I‘m good at, subjects I‘m not so good at. Things I like and things I don’t like. So on first glance I‘m normal and let me tell you right now I. Am. Normal. Let me repeat: I AM NORMAL! There is NOTHING strange about me!

While I am normal, totally and utterly normal, the city I live in isn’t really normal, it looks normal and feels normal and on the surface there is nothing wrong with it and truthfully there isn’t, however what does not make this city normal would be the attacks of intergalactic beast simply called 'Demons' by most people.

They come in all kinds of forms, colours and sizes and often times they look like an unnormal (unlike me, as I am normal) amalgamation of different animals with oversized features like horns and claws. And just like the animals they were an amalgamation of, they worked solely on instinct, at least so I heard, destroying and eating what ever lies in their way.

And I absolutely LOVE them!!!

My name is Sonya and as I have just told you, I am veryyyy normal, nothing strange about me, I am a very normal 16 year old girl in Highschool, living in the city of Halburg. I am 159cm, or how those dumb people across the ocean would say, 5.2 feet, tall and have long black hair that almost reaches my waistline. I am neither skinny nor fat nor especially athletic, so just like everything else about me I look average, because I am normal.

Now as to why I love these Demons, it’s because they are the reason one can witness the most beautiful and most perfect thing in existence.

Explosions.

The power to destroy almost anything in its path, while also being beautiful to look at, as buildings and anything else is blown to pieces  is evidence enough that explosions ARE perfection, there is nothing in the world that can come even close to their level of perfection, if Picasso were an good artist, he would have drawn paintings of buildings falling apart under the might of an explosion and no "Guernica" does not count, it only shows what happens after an explosion, not an explosion in itself.

That‘s why I love my current situation, sitting on a bench in the city park, overlooking a sea of screaming people, as they fled the city‘s center from a giant Elk-Bear hybrid that’s shooting energy attacks from its antlers, which of course cause the wonderful explosions. I sigh dreamily as an particular large office building erupted from within, scattering stone, steel and fire everywhere.

I really don’t get all of these people, sure you have to admire the beauty of explosions from a distance, as their perfect nature also meant any human to close would be ripped a sunder, and so even I can only watch dreamily from a distance, what I do NOT understand is the reason for all the screaming! Others want to enjoy their explosions in peace you know!? I have complained multiple times, but in the sea of screams no one noticed apparently.

Then they appeared.

The spheres of bright colours in the sky rushed towards the Demon, although it was midday their light was so disgustingly bright it was like you were looking straight at the sun. Of course it were a team of the resident Magical Girls. You heard me, Magical Girls and they come with the whole cliche package and when I say whole cliche package I mean it.

Completely over the top outfits, that no one can understand why they would ever voluntarily fight in, I am speaking about fanservice most anime’s couldn’t compete with. Stockings, sailor uniform, ribbons, like I said, the whole package. One thing that’s actually somewhat different from the classical Magical Girl experience was the fact that they weren’t 12 or 13 years old, they tended to be around my age, like 16 to 18 years old, which meant at least a little bit of maturity, but still not a lot.

Now I will not lie, I have watched, and enjoyed some Magical Girls Manga and Anime myself, but these right there? I hate them. I hate them more then I hate the guy who killed my parents 2 years ago. These girls absolutely disgust me, not only is their attire the definition of overkill, but more importantly they always, ALWAYS, interrupt my calm explosions sessions! How on earth is one supposed to enjoy the beauty of explosions, if there are rainbows and rainbow coloured stars everywhere?! And the most disgusting thing are these fakes, cheap copies they call 'Bursts'.

How dare they try and copy one of the most beautiful things in the world and turn it into rainbows?!! I wanna puke just thinking about it…

But sadly I don’t have to think about it, as the very thing happens right before my eyes. It’s so disgusting I can’t, I just can’t!!

I double over as my stomachs insides become my outsides in a puddle on the walkway of the park. It was at this moment I was actually fine with all the terror running through the streets, as no one noticed my rather embarrassing display of indecency, but I couldn’t help but get somewhat red regardless.

Now I gotta evacuate to the next nearest bench, as to not be affiliated with the puddle of goop and half dissolved food remains. Scanning around I quickly found my target and almost sprinted towards it and I only bumped into like 4 other people on the way.

With a sigh, I sat down once again and looking onward once again I can barley see the massive frame of the Elk-Bear fall to the ground, smoke comeing off of its body. The resulting sound its bodys lovely meeting with the earth made could be heard for kilometers and sort of resembled an explosion. But of course it was none and as such I had no intrest in whatever would happened now.

Some random small critter appears, their mascot or whatever, and all of the sudden the moster and all the damage caused just vanished. Poof, and it was gone.

I sigh in desperation, the screams of terror have now been replaced by cheers and the like, the magical girls were practically celebrities at this point, most anyone with an internet connection knows about them and their organisation.

Personally I couldn’t give two shits about any of this, but it is so prominent that it is practically impossible to not stumble over something. Although they try to keep as many things secret as possible, it is Weddit we are talking about, so it really shouldn't surpriese anyone they basically squezzed everything out they could.

Apparently there were at least 10 of them, each with unique weapons, outfits and magic at their disposal, but that is all I know, Thor bet other people could rattle of far more then me, but like I said earlier I really don’t give two damns about them, the only way I could describe my relationship with them is that I actively despise them, those outfits are a crime against nature and the fact they disgrace the perfection that are explosions are worthy of a death sentence in my eyes.

But in the end, it’s not like I can do anything about it, as much as I want to deny it but it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that if I try and confront them about it, I would get obliterated. I don’t have any magical powers or weapons, I am just a normal girl. A very normal girl.

"Aahhhh, I wish I could get rid of these pesky magical girls, I just really really want to be finally able to watch explosions in peace…"

"And what are you willing to pay to be able to do just that?“

I nearly fell of the bench in fright at the sudden voice right next to me, it was deep and sounded very much not human, but at the same time it radiated a warmth I couldn’t really place, I looked to my right and saw a huge person completely obscured by a black trench coat and black, large brim hat, the only thing visible where two red dots in the space between the hat and the trench coat.

Now what any normal person would do in such a situation would be freaking out, I mean who wouldn’t when I freakishly tall guy, who looks like the picture perfect drug-or/and arms dealer, randomly appears next to you and starts talking to you? Well I know someone who wouldn’t, it would be me, because a random guy appearing wasn’t that much more impressive considering I just saw a huge demon from another dimension being blasted to smithereens by high school girls, but I was still very much creeped out.

"Okay, first up You don’t sneak up on a young woman like that, if I were to scream you would be forever destroyed socially and secondly I would give anything to rid the world of these heathens who dare disrespect the almighty explosions." I looked the strange guy straight in the eyes? I don’t know if it were it’s actual eyes, but I think the message got through.

As for why I was telling him this? Well I mean this was obviously some demon or otherwise magical being, here to sell me what I utterly desire in exchange for something like my immortal soul, or maybe something else like my firstborn son or something. This is very normal and classic procedure in such a situation, have you ever even read a book? How can you be so uncultured?

Anyway the guy didn’t speak for some time, but I kept up my look, we sat like this for multiple minutes, multiple people walking by but they completely ignored us, probably some magical shenanigans from his side. Eventually he spoke again.

"The price for that what you desire is not cheap young one, are you truly sure you desire it that much? It could render you completely unrecognisable to others, and you could lose yourself in the power, the evil. You might be driven mad by… wait no, that can’t happen you already are after all…" How rude! How dare he just insult me so brazenly and call me mad? Do I seem insane to you? Do I look like I am not completely normal?!

I glare at him, he keeps on his whole spiel of saying I shouldn’t be really doing this because I would lose my humanity and what not, but I absolutely don’t give two fucks about all of that, if he can make me get rid of the magical girls I will gladly throw my old life out of the window of the 50th floor! There’s absolutely nothing cool about being human anyway.

"Look man, I don’t care how many potential side effects this could have, do you use medicine? Because have you seen the lists of potential risks they include in some of them? You offered this, so it clearly can work and I want it. If I stop being human because of it, I don’t care, I would welcome it, humans are just soooooooo boring and to be honest have you seen the shit we do? To not be associated with them anymore would be a blessing if nothing else."

I was getting impatient with him, he had been trying to talk me out of it for like the last 2 whole minutes. Why would you offer if you don’t want people to accept in the first place? What kind of salesman are you??
The man sighed and looked me in the eyes, he seemed tired, for a moment, before he sprang to life and he shook my hand vigorously, to be honest, it kinda hurt.
"Hahaha, you truly are quite the insane little human aren‘t you? And to think it would be this easy! Okay then the deal can then be made! I will give you what you want and I get to keep your immortal soul in return!"

See, told you!

"Deal!" And we shook hands one last time. Before he snapped his fingers. And I felt something leave me? It was an rather odd sensation, kind of like you felt stuffed from eating to much and in the next second you are hungry again. That was probably my soul leaving my body.

"So, once you return home it should start, I hope you have soundproof walls or very tolerant neighbours. Tata!“ And with a snap of his fingers, he vanished. Now of course, like any good normal person would do in this situation, I practically ran towards my home, I lived alone ever since my parents had died a few years back, now technically I live with my aunt, but practically not so much, since she is never home, life of a prominent reporter I guess.

It took me around 10 minutes, before I finally stood before my home, I opened the door to my humble abode and instantly locked it behind me, before sprinting up the stairs and into my room, before locking that door as well, then as I made my way towards the bed, it happened, a terrible pain shot through my entire being, like every single cell and fiber of my being was lit on fire and then dunked into a tank of acid.

I collapsed onto my bed and screamed in pain, I tossed and turned around as my body withered in pain, at least I know now why he hoped I had soundproof walls and luckily for me I did have them, oh how lucky I was.

—————————————————————————————————————

"Did you sense that brother? What was that spike in magic, do you have any ideas?“

"Not really sister, I am just as baffled as you are, I told the girls to be on their guard for now, let’s hope this is nothing to serious, although I truly don’t believe it, with it being such a huge spike…"

"Calm down brother, I‘m sure we can deal with whatever it is, the girls have grown quite capable over the months no? It’s not like this spike could result in some kind of evil nemesis, hell bent on destroying us."

"Ahhhh, please don’t say that, you‘ll jinx it!"

"Oh, please it’s not like this! Just trust me on this, I truly believe I am right in assuming that spike was nothing to dangerous, strange but nothing dangerous."

"I hope your right…"

"Of course I‘m right, don’t worry about it!"

Unfortunately, she was wrong.

24