Chapter 40: Recovery
257 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jennifer laid in bed, staring up at the ceiling, feeling bored and anxious.

       

So… this is what being normal is like… Jennifer pondered as she lay there feeling powerless. I always wondered what it was like to not have psychic powers… like! How did people live if you didn’t have them… now? I’m beginning to wonder how I’ll live without them…

Her thoughts were depressed as she lay there thinking about her lack of abilities.

Jennifer also thought about what the Doctor and her parents had told her.

              

                     

                        

—————-Three Days Earlier—————

                          

                          

“So, Jennifer? How are you feeling?” The doctor asked Jennifer as he began to examining her again.

Jennifer winced at the Doctor stared into her eyes, to examine her eyes.

“…bright…” Jennifer murmured.

      

“Hmm? What was that?” Doctor Lang asked curiously.

        

Jennifer blinked as he pulled back after looking examining her eyes.

“Nothing Doc, I’m fine.”

      

He looked at Jennifer with a knowing smile.

“Come on now. Even the smallest thing might help me if you let me know what’s wrong.”

      

“*SIGH* Just complaining that your little Doctor thingy there, was too bright, Doc.” Jennifer told him.

       

“Ahh!~… Sorry about that,” Lang said with a shrug. “Standard procedure…” He told Jennifer. “…Still feeling light sensitive?” He asked her.

          

“…Yup…” Jennifer told him. “Still feeling a bit sensitive to harsh lights…”

“Mmm… that is to be expected I suppose.” Doctor Lang pondered aloud as he wrote down a note on his clipboard.

        

“So? Doctor? When is that specialist supposed come here or whatever?” Rebecca asked impatiently.

“Miss Barakat,” Doctor Lang spoke cordially. “As I’ve said. I’ve called informed Commander Lance; He and I have discussed this; which is why we’ve sent for a request for a specialist to come and diagnose Jennifer.” He said shortly to his Lieutenant. “Honestly Rebecca,” Lang breathed out in frustration. “You should just be thankful that your daughter is alive.” He turned as he snapped at her. “With the kind of torture she received: blurry vision; photosensitivity; headaches; and the loss of her psychic powers, are actually the least that could have happened to her!” He berated. “She very well could have ended up a vegetable!”

“Doctor Lang!” Johnathan shouted.

Lang turned in surprise at the man’s unexpected loud noise.

                

Johnathan stared daggers at the man, which held Lang frozen into place.

“I’m sure my wife understands.” Johnathan told him firmly. “But I would ask that you refrain from snapping at my wife and causing her more distress, and saying these things in front of my daughter: you’re scaring her.”

Jennifer looked down to see, that sure enough. Her hands were tightened into balled up fists, as she clenched her sheet.

Arceus… what is wrong is me?… Jennifer thought upset with herself.

Doctor Lang lifted his hand and coughed into his fist, to hide his embarrassment.

“Yes, well… that was unbecoming of me as a doctor.” He turned towards Jennifer and gave her a reassuring smile. “I’m sorry about my candor and unprofessionalism I displayed in front of you: I apologize.” He said to her with a bow. “This is not an excuse for my behavior; but I’m often dealing with types like your mother, who wish for me to work a miracle and slap a band-aid on their wounds, so that they can rush back towards the line of duty.”

This made Jennifer giggle at how very much like her mom that sounded.

        

“Doctor Lang!” Rebecca shouted scandalized. “I would prefer that you don’t use me as an example!” 

Doctor Lang shrugged his shoulders at her.

“Stop being an example.” He told her.

Rebecca growled at the Doctor as he stood there mocking her in front of her daughter.

“You know what!—“

“You know!” Johnathan cut in, interrupting his wife. “As fun as it is to poke fun a Rebecca. Can we give it a rest today Doctor Lang.” He asked him with a pleading stare.

           

Doctor Lang shrugged unapologetically.

“Sorry. It’s my knee jerk response for Field Operatives; since they like to fight me at every suggestion I make for them.”

Rebecca looked like she wanted to protest, but a look from her husband  made Rebecca close her mouth in silence.

                             

“So, Jennifer.” Doctor Lang addressed his patient. “According to the tests I’ve run, and from your previous medical records. You’re eye sight has deteriorated by more than point-five-three, from when you had your last physical. But I can say for certain, as I’m not an expert in optometry: so I recommend going to an optometrist friend of mine and having her check out your vision personally.”

“Great…” Jennifer groused. “So now I’m going to have to start wearing glasses?” She asked worried.

Doctor Lang smiled sadly at the girl.

“More than likely, I’m afraid so.” He told Jennifer regretfully. “While laser I surgery is an option; do to the nature of your injuries and the swelling of a portion of your cerebrum, I would hazard to guess that my colleague would recommend against it: as would I; especially since you are also experiencing photosensitivity.” Doctor Lang pointed out.

Jennifer let out a sigh.

“Great… another thing I’m going to be sharing with my dad: bad eyesight.” Jennifer quipped with a straight face.

“H-Hey!” Johnathan complained without rancor. “Glasses are the in thing right now, right honey?!” He stated while pushing his glasses up for emphasis.

Rebecca chortled at her husband’s sensitiveness at their daughter’s brevity and reluctance at wearing glasses like Johnathan.

“Yeah, I do find the glasses look on your father to be adorable.” Rebecca asserted. “And who knows,” Rebecca shrugged. “Maybe you’ll meet a nice boy once you have a pair; I think they’ll frame your face nicely and make you look extra adorable!~” Her mother gushed.

But unbeknownst to Rebecca, Jennifer squirmed on her bed as she bit her bottom lip in worry.

Right…… So much has happened… I forgot I was going to tell mom and dad that I’m…

But Jennifer shook her head.

Now isn’t really the right time. Jennifer thought. We have much more important things to worry about, and it’s not like I’m dating anyone anyways. Jennifer conceded to herself.

≈And if you do find a nice girlfriend Mistress, I have to approve of them first.≈

Jennifer looked over at her Pokémon with a skeptical smile on her face.

“Oh you do, do you?” She said to Kirlia.

         

“Hmm? What did she say?” Rebecca asked curiously.

“Oh,” Jennifer turned towards her mother. Jennifer could feel her face heating up, at the mortifying thought about what Kirlia had said, versus what she’d have to tell her mother. “J-Just that, if I do meet someone, it would have to be someone she approves of.” She told her mother.

“Oh she did huh?” Rebecca got down to Kirlia’s height and gave her a thumbs up. “You make sure no scoundrels try and get with my daughter. Understand?”

“Kirl lia!” Kirlia shouted with a salute while standing at attention.

“That a girl!” Rebecca praised as she rubbed the top of Kirlia’s head.

          

Jennifer just rolled her eyes at her mother’s behavior. She gave a chortle as she thought how funny it was, that her mother seemed to be taking on the stereotypical roll of a protective father, rather than a mother.

I really need to tell them… probably tomorrow. Jennifer procrastinated. We’ve had to much stuff happen recently. Let’s just get through today and give my parents a chance to cool down after what happened to me yesterday.

           

But unfortunately for Jennifer. Tomorrow came and went, and her parents didn’t came back until the day after.

        

When they did. Both Rebecca and Johnathan had somber looks on their faces.

               

“Jennifer……” Rebecca started speaking while wringing her hands nervously. “Your father and I……     ……John… I—…… I just can’t!” She shouted before launching herself at Jennifer and holding her in a tight embrace while looking back at her husband.

“Wha?!— Mom?!—“ Jennifer shouted in confusion.

“Please John!” Rebecca pleaded. “Isn’t there any other way?!”

“…………………” Johnathan stood there as he thought through their current predicament.

“Dad?! What’s going on?” Jennifer asked her father once she realized that her mother wasn’t listening to her.

         

Johnathan let out a sigh before reaching up to rub at his slightly bolding head.

“Your mother and I…… we… *SIGH* ……Rebecca… to keep her safe… I really don’t see any other way.”

“Oh Johnathan!” Rebecca whimpered as she buried her face into Jennifer’s shoulder.

“Protect me from what?! What is happening?!” Jennifer demanded.        

                    

Johnathan let out a deep breath he had been holding.

“It sum up everything we’ve learned from our investigation. We have good news Jennifer: I managed to find a trace to a company back that’s in Ejapul, which we’re certain has a connection to Team Dunes.”

“Oh? How did you guys figure that out?”

“………….And that’s where the bad news comes in.”

Jennifer looks at her father inquisitively as soon as he says this.

“Normally, people allow the person to choose whether they want to hear the good or the bad news first.” Jennifer jokingly pointed out.

Johnathan smirked at his daughter’s sanguine nature. Though his expression still remained slightly somber.

“Normally, you’re right. But… it was just always going to be easier to tell you this way; the bad is.., pretty bad.”

“Oooh… that bad huh?” Jennifer asked.

“Worse than bad actually.”

“Oh…”

                             

“Yeah…” Johnathan scratched the back of his head. “…We found evidence that they know you.”

“That they know me?” Jennifer laughed incredulously. “O-Of course the do, they’ve been after me since I was born.” She stammered nervously.

          

“Not like that.” Johnathan told his daughter. “They know your psychic.”

                              

Jennifer felt her stomach drop out from under her.

                      

“……T-They… *GLUP* They do?!” Jennifer questioned with large eyes. She let our a snorting laugh as her expression turned into an amused smirk. “What am I saying… Of course they do.” Jennifer spoke with a sarcastic lit. “They found and kidnapped me… I guess, I suppose they’ve known for a while.”

But to Jennifer’s shock, her dad shook his head.

“That’s not it.” Johnathan told Jennifer. “I don’t believe that the whole of Team Dunes knew that you’ve retained your family’s psychic powers until recently.” He informed her. “I believe this devision just found out, because of the incident you were involved with and then put two and two together.” Johnathan held up a rectangular flash drive. “This is the research and info that this division had sent to their headquarters.” He explained. “I don’t believe that they got the entire thing uploaded to them, because there leader received an E-mail, which explained vaguely that a piece he had sent to them was corrupted and incomplete. From that file they sent back however, I was able to gather. That there is no way, that the main branch doesn’t know you’re a psychic by now.”

        

After hearing this, Jennifer leans back and flops into her pillow.

“Great……” Jennifer says in a disgruntled manner. She looks at her parents with a sad desperate expression, before asks them the question on her mind. “Does that mean I can’t stay here now? What does all of this mean? Are you— *SNIFF* —leaving to go back to Ejapul mom?” She said in a worried filled voice.

       

“Actually honey… that’s what we really wanted to talk with you about; this has all lead to telling you that…” Johnathan spoke shakily before pausing to take an equally shaky inhale.

“That we; your mother and I: we’re both going to go back to Ejapul.”

“What?!” Jennifer exclaimed in shock. “Then— kah!” Jennifer started speaking, but tsked as she sat back up. “Then what about me?! What am I supposed to do?!” She asked them desperately. “Aren’t they going to be coming here looking for me?! Is this place safe enough to hide? Am I going to be in this safe house for months?!”

“Woah, woah there! Slow down!” Rebecca said softly to calm her daughter. “Just relax.” She said calmly. “We’re not just leaving you here; it would be too dangerous just to leave you here in Hoenn, now that they know you’re here and have psychic powers: their cells and members would flock here by the droves.”

Johnathan nodded his head in agreement.

“Your mother’s right, honey.” Johnathan agreed before adding. “We hate having to make this decision, but we have to both go there and stop them. Once and for all.” Johnathan told Jennifer with a tone of contempt that he held towards Team Dunes. “We going there to stop them Spearow.” He said to his daughter. “We’re both going, because they stole my device and I am not going to just sit back and watch as they use it for evil.” He explained to Jennifer. “So I asked Lance to let me return back to the G-Men and let me be your mother’s handler.”

“Back into…—! You’re part of the Pokémon G-Men as well?!” Jennifer exclaimed in surprise.

          

Johnathan nodded in confirmation.

“Yeah, me too. ha ha~” He confessed with a laugh. “Before you were born, Lance approached your mother and asked her to come help him work for his newly established G-Men group.”

Rebecca chuckled before expounding.

“But your father told Lance at the time: “If you’re planning to take my wife that I just married, you may as well take her husband as well!” She said with a giggle at the memory.

“Ah yes… that’s right. Ah~ the memories!~” Johnathan said with a reminiscing sigh.

        

“Serious…” Jennifer groused as she watched her parents fawn over one another. “Can you two stop acting like your a couple of teenagers? You’re grossing your actual teenage daughter out here.”

Rebecca scoffed at her daughter’s words.

“You should be thankful to have parents who still are very much in love with each other.” Rebecca scolded.

Jennifer held up her hand.

“Look, the less I have to think about it, the better it is for my psyche. So can we please drop the tangent of your love lives, which I would really rather not hear about anyways.” Jennifer stressed before adding. “Can we please get back on topic, please?!” She pleaded.

“Haha, I suppose your right,” Johnathan chuckled once more, before his expression grew somber. “As I was saying. I’m really the only one qualified in identifying my project, or any form it takes from Team Dunes perverse designs; also, since I’m your mother’s partner and a computer expert: so I’ll be helping her with everything computer related while we infiltrate this company that sent this E-mail.” He explained to Jennifer.

          

Jennifer nodded understandingly to what her father was telling her.

“But, I don’t think understand somethings.” Jennifer questioned with a tilt of her head. “If you both are going and you think I’ve been exposed to be a psychic; what is it that I’m supposed to do? Am I just supposed to hide here or something?”

“We were about to get to that.” Rebecca spoke up. “Jennifer,” She called to her daughter with trepidation. “You’re probably going to hate this and say no, but hear us out.”

Rebecca looked to Johnathan for him to pick up from where she left off. Johnathan nodded his head and looked into his daughter’s eyes.

“You see… the only way we, or I should take the fall for this, since it was my idea; but we agreed that you’d be safer and better off, if you weren’t staying in one place, at any one time, so that Team Dunes can’t keep track of your location.”

Jennifer looked at her dad with narrowed eyes.

“So you’re suggesting that I……”

        

Johnathan nodded his head.

        

“We suggest. That now that you have Pokémon: that it’s about time you go on a Pokémon journey.”

          

Jennifer’s eyes went wide as she heard this.

“But I!— You know I hate!—“

Johnathan held up a hand to forestall Jennifer.

“I wasn’t suggesting you do the Pokémon league.” Johnathan told her, before smiling fondly at his prodigy. “But I’m pretty sure you’ve talked with someone about doing something with your Pokémon recently though.”

“Huh?” Jennifer exclaimed in confusion. “How do you know that—“

        

“Because.” A voice called from down the hall.

         

Jennifer watched as a light brown haired girl walked into the room from the hall, appearing behind her parents. The girl smiled at Jennifer once they locked eyes; which Jennifer returned and once she saw who it was.

“I was the one who told him about what we talked about.” Jennifer’s best friend said to her, after coming out from around the corner.

        

“May!” Jennifer cheered with excitement at the appearance of her friend.

                

May gave a little wave and a smile to her bedridden friend.

“Hey Jen!” She said with a bright smile. “Good to finally catch you awake. Every time I’ve been here, you’ve been asleep or busy.”

Jennifer chuckled at her friend’s easy going nature.

“Yeah, sorry about that. Haven’t been trying to ignore you on purpose.”

May shook her head while smiling at Jennifer. Her eyes shiny as she looked at her.

“D-Don’t— *HIC* —“ May began speaking, but her emotions quickly over came her; her smiling face became strained. Her shining eyes turned watery in seconds, right before tears started spilling out. “—Don’t you ever! Apologize for being injured to me again Jennifer!” May said before rushing to her friend’s side.

Jennifer sat there on her bed, as she was enveloped into a hug by May; her arms wrapping around her shoulders tightly.

“Don’t you never ever! Scare me like that again Jen!- *HIC* …I thought I lost you!” May whispered. “I thought I was going to lose my little sister…”

Jennifer sagged and relaxed into May’s embrace. Returning it with one of her own.

“Your right May…” Jennifer whispered to her worried surrogate big sister. “Thanks for being there for me Big-Sis-M.”

              

After a moment of reconnecting. Both teens pull away from each other with smiles on their face as they looked at one another with teary eyes.

“So? What is this all about? You’re in on this?… on whatever it is that they’re planning?” Jennifer asked May.

May nodded in confirmation.

“Yeah,” She told Jennifer. “Remember a while ago, when I said I would take you around and show off the different contests and such?”

Jennifer nodded in remembrance of May’s words.

“Yeah, back when I was talking to you about keeping Ralt— err! Now Kirlia.” Jennifer pointed out to the Pokémon snuggling next to her.

Kirlia smiled at being included into the conversation and jumped at the opportunity to be involved.

“Kirli! Kirlia kirli lia li!” Kirlia greeted May once again.

May giggled at Kirlia’s response.

“Yeah, I know. She and I have met while you’ve been a sleep. Sad to see that I missed her evolving or to hear about when it happened. But I’m just glad to see that you’re both alright.”

Jennifer let out a dry chuckle at the latter half of what May said.

“Yeah,” Jennifer agreed dryly. “We’re fine.” She told May with a smile.

         

May looked at her friend with a concerned look on her face.

“I know that you’re really not Jen… you don’t need to pretend to be.” May informed her.

Jennifer just let out a tired sigh.

“I know…… But I’m tired of being not okay with it.” Jennifer told May. “I’m done crying over it, and I just want to stop talking about it.” She gave May a reassuring smile. “Really… I’m fine; mentally at least…” Jennifer said before adding. “I’d much rather hear about what you talked about with my parents.”

              

               

“Okay,” May conceded. “If that’s what you want. To make it short, your father came up with the idea to get you out of Hoenn and send you on a Pokémon journey.”

“Yeah, I got that much.” Jennifer quipped.

“Then let your big sister explain without interrupting.” May groused before flicking Jennifer’s forehead gently.

“Ow!~ No beating up the patient!” Jennifer complained playfully as she rubbed her forehead.

May laughed at Jennifer acting petulant.

“To summarize it all Jen,” May said with an extended hand towards her. “Let me take you on a once and a life time journey: let me show you and teach you what it means to be a trainer and a Pokémon contest champion.”

Jennifer looked at her friend with surprise and gratitude.

“R-Really?” Jennifer asked her friend. Who confirmed it with a nod of her head.

“Really.” May replied.

            

“Yes,” Johnathan chimed in, drawing Jennifer’s attention. “So the plan is, that we send you and May to Kanto, to my old home town.” He explained. “After which, I would like it if you didn’t stay there after finishing earning your ribbons and worked on getting Kirlia stronger and possibly evolve her; then head to another region: the whole idea of this, is to go from region to region, hopping from one place to another, keeping Team Dunes guessing, as to where you’re currently at.”

Jennifer nodded at what her father was suggesting.

“I get it now. If I don’t know where I am, then how will my enemies.”

Johnathan snapped his finger before pointing at Jennifer with a wink.

“Exactly.” He acknowledged.

Jennifer tilted her head in confusion for a moment.

“Why Kanto?” She decided to ask.

May shrugged.

“Because I’ve been there, and know my way around. Plus we have the added benefit of knowing people there: I have a few friend we can call on if we need a place to stay or need any assistance.” May explained before sticking out her chest boastfully. “Not that we’ll need them! I’ll be all the assistance you need Jen!”        

          

“Plus, on the same token.” Johnathan spoke up. “That is where Lance is from and where he’ll be for the foreseeable future.” He informed Jennifer.

“He’s not going to go to Ejapul to help you guys?” Jennifer wondered.

“Hahahaha!” Johnathan started laughing. “What kinda commander and chief would he be, if he came with every operatives he had.”

“But won’t you two need back up or whatever? Team Dunes is merciless!” Jennifer fretted.

Rebecca smirked at her daughter.

“Honey? Look who you’re talking too.” She reminded Jennifer.

“Huh?”

Rebecca jerked a thumb back and forth, between her and her husband.

“We’ve been working on Team Dunes down fall since before you were born. We can take care of ourselves.” Rebecca assured her. But when she saw that Jennifer’s dubious expression hadn’t left her face. She narrowed her eyes at her daughter.

“What?!” Rebecca demanded in a loud voice. “Do you think the eighth gym leader and former champion of Ejapul, needs your uncle Lance’s help?! Dream on!” She boasted. “That is my home and they are my problems.” She told Jennifer. “All I need is Lance’s resources and your father to help me with the technology part of it, and I’ll take care of any of those bozos they might have there.”

Jennifer still clenched at the sheet covering her in worry.

“I know… and I wasn’t doubting you mom… but!—“

“It’s still dangerous?” Rebecca pointed out.

          

“Yeah.” Jennifer agreed.

Rebecca nodded her head in acknowledgement.

“Yeah… I get it. And I won’t lie and say it won’t be dangerous.” Rebecca confirmed her daughter’s fears, before walking up to her and lifting her chin to look into her eyes. “But you have to believe in us; you have to trust us. once this is all over; once we’ve caught them all: You’ll finally be safe and free. No more hiding or running. No more fighting or lying.” She told her daughter. “Once were done and once your better. You’ll be free to just be Jennifer, who is my daughter and who just so happens to be a psychic.” She smiled at the watery, worried expression on Jennifer’s face. “So will you please wish us luck and keep us in your thoughts and prayers?” She asked her.

Jennifer nodded with emphatic enthusiasm.

“Of course mama! A-Always!” Jennifer reached up and threw her arms around Rebecca’s neck. “I love you mom!”

Rebecca returned the hug to her daughter.

“I love you too my sweet little Spearow.”

                   

                             

————————————————-

                      

                   

That was a couple days or so ago… but everything blends together in a hospital. Jennifer thought to herself. Her parents had left just the day before, as they didn’t want to delay getting to Ejapul and stopping Team Dunes before they could complete their device.

Jennifer was now just waiting to get the all clear from Doctor Lang for her to travel.

Apparently… Jennifer looked down at her sleeping partner next to her, who was being cradled in her father Machamp’s arms. She has been using her healing Move on me every single day… I wish she would stop… she’s exhausting herself…  Jennifer thought in worry.

            

*KNOCK*

          *KNOCK*

                     *KNOCK*

               

Jennifer looked up. Spying May peeking at her from around the corner.

“Hey May. What’s up?” She asked her friend who had been coming to see her regularly now.

May giggled as she stepped into the room proper.

“Oh!~” May drawled as she walked in. “Nothing much, just letting you know you have a visitor.” May informed Jennifer.

Jennifer chuckled at her friend’s silliness.

“You hardly need to call yourself a visitor anymore; you practically have moved in here with me.” Jennifer pointed out.

“Pfft!~ No!~ Not me!” May corrected Jennifer, as she pointed behind her. “Her.”

        

“Hmm?”

            

Jennifer looked behind May as she hummed in curiosity of whom May was referring. But her eyes went wide as she spotted the young adult walking into the room from the hall.

She spotted her dark-green hair first, then was held into place by the woman’s slanted pink eyes, as she stared at Jennifer with a smirk.

                 

“Well,” The psychic trainer cut to the chase. “Seems what Lance told me was true; it appears as though you have lost your psychic abilities.”

      

“S-Sabrina!” Jennifer shouted in surprise. “W-What are you doing here?”

But instead of replying, Sabrina just narrowed her eyes at Jennifer.

“W-What?!” Jennifer exclaimed as she was being stared at.

“Jennifer Barakat. It is one thing to have your powers recede and lay dormant, it is another to lose all your common sense along with it.” Sabrina berated.

“W-What is that suppose to mean?!” Jennifer stammered nervously in embarrassment at having been lectured by this cool beauty.

Sabrina harrumphed as she flicked her hair and pulled the wheeling chair the Doctor used towards her before sitting next to Jennifer’s side.

≈Flattery like that will get you no where I’m afraid. But I do thank you for the compliment: you are just simply not my type.≈

Jennifer heard Sabrina within her mind. She stared at Sabrina, as she almost blatantly showed off her abilities in front of her. It made Jennifer feel a tiny bit jealous of the fact that she didn’t have hers.

             

May giggled from her other side, which caused Jennifer to turn towards her.

“I think what she meant was, that it should be obvious why she’s here right now; especially since she said that Lance called for her.”

Jennifer blinked at what May was suggesting. Then turned back towards Sabrina.

“Are you!— *GULP* —Are you here to fix me?”

            

Sabrina gave her a small waning smile.

“I’m afraid not.”

“Huh?”

“Huh?!”

Jennifer and May had similar but different emotional reactions to Sabrina’s answer.

“I’ve pretty much already have a good idea on what the problem is with your psychic powers.” 

        

“”You do?!”” May and Jennifer ask at the same time.

      

Sabrina nodded her head.

“Yes,” She told them. “I pretty much had been able to tell what was different about you the moment I stepped into his room.”

“Different about me?”

“Yes,” Sabrina replied. “This will take a moment to explain, so you should listen carefully; for I am not in the habit of repeating myself.”

Jennifer’s expression changed to a serious one, as she listened intently to what Sabrina was about to say. The same went for May, as she pulled out her phone and started recording, just so that she could have what Sabrina said on recording, just in case if they needed to hear what she said again.

As she said, she won’t repeat herself!  May thought.

                  

“When I first met you Jennifer Barakat. I had thought of your power as something large and chaotic; your powers swirled and slithered around the room as something akin to a twisting vortex.”

Jennifer’s eyes went wide as she heard this. It was a surprise to hear another psychic’s opinion on her own.

“Do not be mistaken and think that this isn’t me complementing you; Your powers were leaking from your like a running faucet. Tell me something, Jennifer Barakat: when was it that you discovered I was a psychic myself?”

“When?…” Jennifer said as she pondered that moment from a month ago. “I guess when you floated those PokéBalls above your head—“

“As I expected…”

“Huh?” Jennifer mumbled in confusion as Sabrina cut her off.

          

“Jennifer Barakat. As a fellow psychic, you should have noticed me the moment I entered into the hotel.”

Jennifer looked at her in confusion.

“R-Really?”

“Of course you should.” Sabrina scolded. “I noticed you.”

      

Jennifer blinked at the unexpected lecture she had received.

“Hey, Sabrina.” May called out to her. “Go easy on her, she just lost her powers. And to my knowledge, she hadn’t been training with her powers since she was born like you had been.” May defended.

“That’s irrelevant.” Sabrina told her. “With her latent abilities, she should have been able to do this much at least; if someone has even a fraction of psychic potential: noticing when one stronger than yourself comes near you is pretty basic.” She told May. “And that is the reason Jennifer didn’t.”

“What is?” May questioned.

“Hmm… to put it simply for you to understand, her powers were very much always open.”

“”Open?”” Both May and Jennifer questioned.

                   

Sabrina blinked at their panoramic question before letting out a sigh.

“I expected May to be the one confused, but not you as well, Jennifer Barakat.”

“H-Hey! I just don’t know what you’re talking about…” Jennifer defended weakly.

Sabrina turned her gaze back on Jennifer. Which locked Jennifer into place as she saw the intense disapproval in Sabrina’s eyes.

“And that is the problem I’m afraid. I was lead to believe that your grandfather instructed you in the use of your psychic powers.”

“I mean, he did. But he only taught me how to suppress them, so that I wouldn’t have to deal with so many peoples thoughts.”

        

“*SIGH* is that so…” Sabrina said with another sigh of disappointment. “Very well, I suppose that this counts as part of the favor I was asked of by Lance.” She quipped.

“To put it simply Jennifer Barakat. Your powers previously were something of a swirling mess. You basically were constantly spewing psychic energy from your mind; to put it even more simply. Think of it as if your mind has a faucet and a hose attached to them: not everyone’s input is equal to each other; or their faucet in other terms.” Sabrina explained.

“As you were before. Your input or your faucet, however you wish to think of it as. It was basically always pouring out psychic energy through your mind, because the hose you were using, was basically letting it leak out all over the place.”

“To confirm this, let me ask you a question: did it take you much effort to read peoples’ minds?” Sabrina asked Jennifer. To which, Jennifer shook her head.

“No, not really. Reading minds was like the easiest thing in the world; getting it to stop was the effort.”

“And when you used your powers to move things, did it require concentration and effort, and did it also drain you physically?”

Jennifer blinked in surprise.

“Yes!… how did you?…” Jennifer started asking but trailed off.

“That was because your output, or your hose, in other words. It was a large hose, with an equally large opening at the end of the hose: basically, you expended more energy on tasks and more effort on things than you needed too.” Sabrina explained without stopping to answer Jennifer’s question.

      

May raised her hand in inquiry.

“*SIGH* Yes May?” Sabrina asked her at the sight of her raised hand.

“So are you saying that, Jennifer wasn’t using her psychic powers in the most efficient way? What does all this mean exactly? What does it have to do with her powers now?”

“Well, as for your first question,” Sabrina started speaking after crossing her legs and sat in a more relaxed position with her back against the wall. “It wasn’t so much as Jennifer wasn’t using her powers ineffectively; it’s that she was neglectfully trained in a way that would allow her to harness her powers.”

“Now what is that supposed to mean?!” Jennifer asked irritably.

But Sabrina held up her hand.

“Please save your dissatisfaction for someone else who cares. It means nothing to me if you don’t like my answer, or if you perceived that I have somehow insulted your family in some way; I do not care: I just don’t want to waste time arguing over something irrelevant. Because the fact of the matter is. I have no reason to lie to you, and I am just stating the facts for which I’m observing them.” Sabrina interjected.

            

Jennifer didn’t like Sabrina’s cold indifference to what she had said or what she was suggesting. But she also couldn’t deny any of her logic.

“So why is it so important or relevant on how grandpa trained me?” Jennifer demanded.

“To put it precisely? He trained you in a way that would assuredly stunt your growth.”

Jennifer felt as if she had been kicked in the gut.

“W…-What?!”

Sabrina nodded her head in understanding of what Jennifer was feeling.

“Yes. The technique he had taught you, is something not really used for blocking out thoughts.” Sabrina informed Jennifer. “It’s a technique for stretching out your output.”

     

“S-Stretching out?!” Jennifer asked panicked.

          

“Yes.” Sabrina confirmed. “It’s a high level technique. One would ordinarily send their own energy back into themselves, so that they can harness more of their input. But this is usually done after you’ve have trained and your input has become larger. I am not sure what your grandfather was intending to do by teaching you this technique. But in all honesty, it has done nothing but harm your progress into harnessing your true potential.”

Sabrina smirked at Jennifer with a look of superciliousness.

“Haven’t you ever wondered why, that even though you couldn’t hear a persons mind, you were still able to hear their direct thoughts?” Sabrina questioned Jennifer.

Jennifer looked down at her hands. Which were clenching at the sheet in her lap.

“I—… I…”

“Sabrina…” May called out to the psychic gym leader, as she was reaching for Jennifer’s hands to hold them in comfort. “…Maybe take it easy or try to deliver it more gently? Jennifer has been through a great ordeal recently.” May reminded her friend.

            

Sabrina looked back and forth between Jennifer and May, then cleared her throat as she thought about what she said and what May was suggesting.

“Apologies.” Sabrina said to Jennifer. “I am still very much not used to interacting with people on a social level.” She informed them. “I do apologize if my words or behavior comes across as, shall we say, abrupt.”

                    

Jennifer just smiled at the psychic sitting next to her.

<It’s fine Sabrina.> Jennifer thought aloud. <You’re here trying to help me currently… the least I can do is be understanding to you and how you operate.> Jennifer thought genuinely and acceptingly.

Sabrina let a genuine smile spread across her face at the kind thoughts of Jennifer.

      

Both May and Jennifer felt their hearts skip a beat at how stunningly beautiful Sabrina was when she actually smiled.

        

<It’s no wonder she is an actress with a smile like that> May thought.

<Oh my gosh! Don’t crush on her!> Jennifer thought to herself as she felt mortified on how beautiful Sabrina looked to her in that moment.

      

Sabrina let out a snorting laugh at their thoughts.

Which only caused the two of them to blush as they realized what had happened. But they were also enthralled by Sabrina’s laugh.

<Oh my, she has a cute laugh!> May observed.

<Oh my god! Stop being adorable! And don’t read my mind right now!> Jennifer thought embarrassed.

         

Sabrina was the first to sober up by shaking her head gently. Her laughter quieting down to small giggles.

“But, as I was saying before.” Sabrina continued. “The way you were taught was incorrect. All you did, was essentially shove your own psychic energy back down the way it came; this basically widened your output, making it impossible for you to control you psychic energy properly: It does have a dampening effect on your psychic abilities. But this is more of a side effect for it’s intended purpose.” Sabrina said as she finished explaining.

        

“Okay~…” May drawled.  “But what does the previous state of psychic powers have to do with why she can’t use them now?” May questioned.

“It’s because,” Sabrina paused as she held up a hand, with her fingers halfway curled, so that she was forming a circle with her fingers and thumb. “Think of this as Jennifer’s output previously.” She pointed with her free hand towards the circle opening between her finger and thumb. “As you can see, I can fit multiple fingers in through this gap fairly easily.”

“*SNORT* PFFT!” May started giggling as Sabrina did her illustration with her hands. Jennifer and Sabrina looked towards her with questioning and confused looks on their faces.

Then Sabrina scoffed.

“Really May… so childish…” Sabrina said as she dropped her hands to her lap.

“Huh?” Jennifer mumbled as she sat there confused by what had just happened.

“I can’t help it! Hahaha!” May said laughing. “I never thought I would see the prim and proper Sabrina use that kind of rude gesture! Hahaha!”

“What? Rude gesture?” Jennifer questioned as she looked back towards Sabrina.

             

Is?… is she blushing?! Jennifer thought to herself.

              

Sabrina cleared her throat and levitated several pieces of paper towards her, before rolling and crunching them into various shapes.

       

After doing this, she had a more fitting and appropriate model for what she was trying to demonstrate.

“As I was saying,” Sabrina said with a flush on her cheeks, as she pointed towards the paper-mâché diagram. “This is what Jennifer’s output used to be like.” She then concentrated on a new shape, and before May and Jennifer’s very eyes. The front opening of the paper looking organ began to shrink and close; until there the opening was about the size of a thumbtack’s head. “And this is where the output is at currently.”

        

Both Jennifer and May understood immediately what the issue was now that Sabrina had laid it bare.

“Arceus almighty!” Jennifer exclaimed. She looked from the model to Sabrina with inquisitive eyes. “Is that why it hurt so bad?! Because the opening is so small?”

Sabrina nodded solemnly.

“Yes,” Sabrina confirmed. “That is exactly why you haven’t been able to use it properly. Your muscle memory is that of the large effortless opening you had before; you’re too used to needing to shove as much energy through your output as possible to control your abilities how you wanted them.” Sabrina pointed towards the model diagram. “So when you try and force all that power you have through there.”

        

*POFF*

          

Jennifer and May jumped in their seats as the front of the paper burst opened from where the tiny pinprick of a hole had been.

“It just bursts out the front, because you have no control.” Sabrina concluded.

        

“But!” May spoke up. “What about the swelling?! Why is there a swelling on that part of her brain?” She questioned.

Sabrina just shrugged.

“That is how it is normally for most psychics of our level of power.” Sabrina answered.

May’s eyes opened wide yet again.

“Are you saying Jennifer is on your level?!” May asked in awe.

“Hahahahahaha!~” Sabrina threw her head back in laughter.

Which made Jennifer frown at May, who had apparently said something silly. May had the decency to look embarrassed, even if it was only a little bit.

“When I say “my level.” Sabrina emphasized. “I am really talking about stage five psychics.”

“What are stage five psychics?” May questioned.

“They are psychics that are basically on par with a fully evolved Pokémon.”

Once again, both Jennifer and May had their mouths dropped open and eyes wide in shock.

“They’re that powerful?!” Jennifer questioned.

“And you and Jen are stage five?!”

“Pfft!” Sabrina laughed mockingly. “Hardly,” She told them. “Maybe before, Jennifer could have equalled a level three psychic from my gym. But she has been no where near my level.” She informed them. “And I honestly think the ranking system employed by the government is to rudimentary.”

“What do you mean?” Jennifer asked her.

“What I mean is, that I think a rating of one-to-five is way to arbitrary to determine a psychic’s powers: much like everything else in life, that only tests and measures one facet of a psychics potential.” Sabrina explained. “Which is why it makes it arbitrary: you wouldn’t expect an athlete trained for running, to be just as good as swimming, would you?” Sabrina watched as the two of them shook their heads. “Then why does the world expect the same from psychics. While many of us have the same abilities, some traits of psychics come easier to others.” She told them before crossing her arms. “If I had my way, it would be a one to a hundred scale.”

May and Jennifer shared a look between each other before looking back at Sabrina.

“So? Where would you fall into it? On your own scale, I mean.” May questioned.

“If I had to judge and place myself… probably at the seventh-ninth place or so.”

“That pretty high…” May spoke in awe.

“Yes, well.., I still feel that I can do better.” Sabrina told them.

        

“So? Where do I fall in that chart?” Jennifer asked curiously,

Sabrina raised an eyebrow at her.

“Input wise, I was say you match someone within the high fifties or low sixties.”

“Oh wow!” May exclaimed in surprise. “That’s amazing Jen—“

“But as far as a abilities. I would say somewhere in the low end of the thirties for your skills.”

“Oh… there it is.” May said depressed, as Sabrina’s answer gave a lower assessment.

           

Jennifer looked down at her hands.

“So I am less than half of your abilities?” Jennifer thought sadly as she compared herself to Sabrina.

“Then? Yes; Now? No.” Sabrina answered.

“What does that mean?” Jennifer questioned.

“What I mean, that as you are right now: You may as well have a nuclear power plant attached to a car battery, whose engine is broken.”

“Oh……”

“Sabrina! Come on!” May complained. “You can’t just lift up her spirits like that and then drop her!”

Sabrina smirked at May and Jennifer both of them before speaking.

“Sorry, that wasn’t my intent. What I meant by what I said previously, is that a your output has constricted and has basically reverted back to what it was, from when you were younger.” Sabrina flipped her hair as she added. “That just means you’ll have to start from scratch and the basics.”

“So you mean?! If I just do what I always did before, I can fix myself?!” Jennifer summarized.

“No.” Sabrina refuted.

Jennifer’s face fell as she was told this. But before she could protest or argue, Sabrina held up hand to forestall her.

“It’s not that simple.” Sabrina told her. “As much as I said it was like you reverted back into your younger untrained self. It’s worse than that.” She informed Jennifer. “In reality. You’ve almost entirely closed off the part of your psychic output. I assume this was caused because of the large drain on your powers from the ordeals you’ve endured, in which your body closed off the output to protect itself.”

“So how would I go about fixing it?”

Sabrina shook her head.

       

“That is the thing. You don’t.” Sabrina told her.

                   

“Why? Why can’t I just try stretching it like before?!” Jennifer asked her desperately.

               

“Because, like I’ve been saying.” Sabrina told her with an exasperated sigh. “Even those your output has reverted back. Your input has remained the same,” Sabrina edified for Jennifer. “If you were to try and do that now, all the built up psychic energy would try to force and tear its way out through any larger opening.”

“So wait!” May held up her hand this time. As her expression morphed into worry and concern for what Sabrina was telling them. “Are you saying that the part of her brain that is building up psychic powers, is being trapped behind, whatever this output wall is, and that it’s expanding?!” May theorized in great trepidation.

“In essence, yes. If someone with Jennifer’s injury didn’t find a way to drain away the psychic energy, it would indeed, eventually explode inside of her skull.” Sabrina told them bluntly.

        

May stood up while looked at the two of them in a state of panic.

“Then we have to do something!” May told them, before looking toward Sabrina. “Is there anything you can do to help her?!”

            

But to May’s disappointment, Sabrina shook her head.

“Nothing that would actively help her.” Sabrina said to May, but then continued before she could speak again. “But before you fly off the handle worrying about your friend. Let me say that I do believe that Jennifer will be fine.”

“How can you be so sure?!”

Sabrina smiled and pointing in the direction behind May. This made May turn around and she spotted the two sleeping Pokémon in the chair, that was slightly behind her.

“Kirlia?” May questioned. “What about her?”

          

Sabrina turned to look at Jennifer before she answered.

“You still have a connection between yourself and your Pokémon, correct?” Sabrina asked her. Jennifer nodded her head in confirmation. “Then you should be fine.”

“What do you mean.” Jennifer asked her curiously.

“Let me summarize something before going into why you’ll be fine, because I’m sure after everything we’ve talked about, I’m sure you’ll understand:” Sabrina told Jennifer and May. “When a person is born, they usually have a one-in-ten-thousand chance of becoming a psychic or developing psychic powers.” She edified to them. “It is, and by that, I mean by only a slight degree chance, that a person has psychic powers later in their life, but they were just under developed and then they can train to increase their powers.” She explained. “But most people need the talent for it; otherwise, normal people could never develop them with just training alone.” She then pointed to Jennifer and then herself. “People like Jennifer and I; people who are born from a linage or are those who are born with exceptional talent, we go on to be the people in the stage five class of psychics.”

Jennifer’s eyes went wide, but May still had a confused look on her face.

“So what does that mean exactly?”

“It means,” Jennifer began speaking in an awed tone. “That my powers like when I was younger will slowly return over time, like they did when they were first developing while I was growing up.” Jennifer explained as she about it in excitement.

          

Sabrina nodded her head in satisfaction at the conclusion Jennifer had reached.

“Exactly.” Sabrina affirmed.

“But wait!” May said to the both of them. “If they’ll return on their own, why did you tell us she could have been in danger from it.”

“Because she would have been,” Sabrina clarified before pointed back towards the Pokémon in the Machamp’s arms. “If it wasn’t for her.”

“For Kirlia?” May questioned again. “Why?”

“It’s because of our bond.”       “Because the two of them are psychically linked.” Jennifer and Sabrina answered simultaneously, before looking at one another to giggling at their unintended synchronizing.

Sabrina recovered her composure first as she coughed to cover her embarrassment.

“Excuse me, as I was saying previously. Yes; Kirlia is the key to Jennifer’s safe recovery.”

“But how is that possible? I mean! Don’t get me wrong! I’m glad that Jennifer’s going to be fine and what not; and I’m also glad that Kirlia is helping her. But it’s just… how? How is she helping her? What is this bond you two are referring to?”

          

“To give a quick summary of what it is,” Sabrina began explaining. “It’s a unique trait that allows psychics share their emotions and part of their inner selves, with their Pokémon who are also psychics or have the ability of telekinesis themselves.” She made a gesture between Jennifer and Kirlia. “These two those like I have with my Alakazam, share a bond that is basically a link to, what I can only describe, as each other’s souls.”

May took a deep breath at the profound knowledge Sabrina had just shared. But before she could say anything, Sabrina continued.

“So as to why Kirlia has literally save Jennifer. The link they share has kept an opening within Jennifer’s output of her psychic abilities; this link, is also a cause for a small minute expenditure or Jennifer’s psychic powers.” She explained. She then turned and looked at Jennifer. “As long as you two have each other, you should make a full recovery given enough time.”

Jennifer stared at Sabrina with a look of hopeful optimism.

               

May looked over at Jennifer with joy at the news for her little sister.

“Yay!” May cheered before reaching over and hugging her shoulders. “I’m so happy for you Jennifer! You’re going to be alright!”

Sabrina nodded in agreement with what May was say. She too, was also thankful that it had not been the absolute worst it could have been.

Would have been a shame to lose a psychic of her caliber. Sabrina thought to herself.

         

Jennifer looked over at Sabrina with a thankful expression.

“Thank you Sabrina; thank you for your diagnosis: thank you; I owe you one.” Jennifer told her genuinely.

Sabrina just nodded her head.

“I will hold you too that one day.” Sabrina told her with a smirk.

Jennifer smirked back at her.

              

“So! While I’m thinking about it.” Jennifer began to ask. “How long do you think it will take me to recover my psychic powers?” Jennifer asked curiously.

“Oh… if you do nothing and let your bond heal it naturally, I suspect two to three years.” Sabrina suggested in speculation.

        

All congratulations of happy humming coming from May and Jennifer ceased. They both turned and looked at the psychic master with wide eyes.

               

“”T-Two to three years?!”

                

                   

20