Chapter 44: Prepare For Trouble
545 5 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jennifer and her Pokémon Kirlia, were standing at the bow of the ship as they watched the horizon of Kanto come more and more into view.

“Wow! We’re actually here!” Luminary, Jennifer’s Kirlia shouted in excitement.

Jennifer smiled at Luminary’s words, as she too became more and more excited as they came up onto the shoreline of Kanto.

                  Jennifer couldn’t help be release a chuckle because of that.

“I think you’re excitement is infecting me, Lumi.” Jennifer told her Pokémon partner with a grin on her face.

“You think it is?” Luminary questioned Jennifer.

       

                        Jennifer nodded to her question.

“I do,” Jennifer then smiled down at the Kirlia at her side, before reaching down and stroking her hair. “But I don’t think it’s a bad thing. I wasn’t really that excited about leaving Hoenn like we did.” She reminded Luminary. “But, I think your excitement has help me deal with it; so I’m actually really grateful.”

                         Luminary smiled and rested her head on Jennifer’s forearm in contentment.

“Anything for you, mistress.” Luminary answered Jennifer with a soft sigh. Calling her by her old way of addressing Jennifer.

              

That was something that Jennifer had been noticing for a while now while they’ve been traveling. That ever since she woke up in the hospital bed a month or so ago.

That Luminary; that Kirlia. Had been using Jennifer’s name more often, rather than calling her mistress like she had been when she was a Ralts.

                 

Jennifer thought to herself.

               I wonder if that has to do with her evolution? Surely it does.

She really couldn’t think of another reason why that Luminary was trying so hard, to address Jennifer by name, when she was perfectly content before to just call her mistress.

        

Not that Jennifer preferred her old nickname, that Kirlia had been using as Ralts previously.

                                 It was just that, she had gotten so used to it. That now that Luminary wasn’t saying it. It made it stand out that she was almost seeming to force herself to call her Jennifer.

                 

           

But Jennifer wasn’t going to bring attention to it, nor discuss it.

                        It wasn’t really important anyways. She decided. And besides, Jennifer thought. I feel like she and I, have just been getting closer thanks to her trying to be more casual with me. So I am more than happy enough with the way things are.

                      

“Hey you two!” A preppy voice call to them from behind.

Jennifer and Luminary looked back, to see their ever energetic companion.

           

May stood near the deck’s over hang, waving at them to come over.

“We have to get below deck and gather our things real soon.” May reminded them. “They also want to do a head count as docking into Kanto.”

Jennifer smiled over at their friend, and waved back at her.

“Okay!” Jennifer answered her. “We’ll be down in a second.”

Jennifer looked back towards Luminary with a smile on her face, as she realized that, they were not about to start their new adventure.

“Welp, you ready for this, Lumi?”

Luminary balled her fists and pumped her arms in enthusiasm.

“Kirl lia!” She shouted in excitement.

This made Jennifer laugh, as she turned to walk away.

“Well then come on then,” She said walking back towards the entrances to the cruise’s rooms. “Let’s go clean our room up.”

“Kirlia kirli!” Luminary cheered as she followed after her trainer and friend, pirouetting behind Jennifer as she caught up to her and grabbing her hand to hold it as they walked together back to their room.

                     

                                    

After returning to their room, they saw their other traveling companion lounging in a chair while relaxing and reading a book.

Jennifer smirked as she looked at the relaxed posture of their stoic companion.

“Have you already packed up your things then, Sabrina?”

        

<Yes,> Sabrina replied mentally towards Jennifer. As she flipped to the next page of the book she was reading. <But to be fair. I have been ready to escape this vessel, since the first day we departed.>

Jennifer couldn’t help be let out a chuckle at the animosity that she felt from Sabrina, which was directed towards the cruise they were on.

                            Not that I blame her really. Jennifer thought to herself. If I was sick for the first couple days of the start of the voyage, I would probably hate it too.

                

Jennifer then set about the small room, packing and gathering all of the clothes and souvenirs that she had bought while on the boat.

Sabrina put her bookmark into her book, as she watched as Jennifer and her Kirlia go about cleaning the room of their things.

<So, how do you feel by the way. Any changes?> Sabrina asked directly.

       

Jennifer paused in her packing, as she put down a shirt in her rollin suitcase. She thought about what Sabrina just asked her psychically.

               Jennifer shook her head in answer.

“Nothing yet…” She told her simply.

          

<……………………>

                          

Jennifer could feel Sabrina still poking at her mind. As a fellow psychic; or as a former fellow psychic. Jennifer was very familiar with the feeling of touching another’s mind: thus she knew when Sabrina was actively reading her thoughts.

“Look… I get that you’re concerned, okay?” Jennifer turned to look at the neutral expression of Sabrina. Who was looking back at her own scowling face. “But I’m fine as I am right now, and I’m doing okay.”

<But are you though?> Sabrina questioned.

“What is that supposed to mean?” Jennifer questioned her “friend”, while glaring at her.

Sabrina shrugged her shoulders.

<Just that, you’ve been through quite a few ordeals in your life. And now you’ve recently been injured in a very crippling way. It’s okay to be angry, and it’s okay to be scared.>

Jennifer scoffed at Sabrina unspoken words inside her head.

“Scared?!” Jennifer obstinately repeated. “What do I have to be scared of?”

              

<In my opinion: plenty.> Sabrina told Jennifer flatly.

Jennifer was to shocked to respond to the strangely upfront  Sabrina.

<You may believe I’m behaving differently, because I’m normally more reserved. But I know how to speak my mind; I just pick and decide when it’s needed to or not.> Sabrina told Jennifer that psychically, while staring into her eyes. <And from what I can see and sense inside of you, is that you’re scared out of your mind.>

Jennifer looked away from her piercing gaze, as Jennifer stopped what she was doing again to wrap her arms around herself.

“Y-You wrong though…” Jennifer denied. “I’m not scared of never getting my powers back.”

        

Sabrina let out a huff of air from her nostrils incredulously at Jennifer’s statement.

<first of all, I never said anything about your powers; and second, you’re a terrible liar. Even if I wasn’t psychic; it doesn’t take powers like ours, to realize just how scared you actually are.>

Sabrina levitated the piece of clothing that Jennifer was clutching in her hands. Raising them so that Jennifer would see her own hands.

<See? You’re trembling.>

Jennifer throws the shirt she was holding away. Which then floated and folded itself, before nestling down into Jennifer’s suitcase.

                            

                

Jennifer was quiet for a long time, as she stood next to her cabin’s bed. With Luminary by her side, who was hugging her leg in comfort from the distress her mistress was feeling.

                      After a while, Jennifer took a deep breath before letting it out shakily.

“It’s just!—…” She began speaking, right before stopping herself before she started stammering. Jennifer took another shaky inhale-and-exhale before she tried again. “…— I just…”

              

<It’s the reason you’ve been avoiding me… hasn’t it?> Sabrina pointed out.

Jennifer took a sharp breath of air at the pointed suggestion, which rang like an accusation in her ears.

        

“I don’t… I haven’t…—“

<I’ve been making it hard for you to feel normal, right?> Sabrina pointed out. <Hard to accept that what you have is gone now, and that you might never get it back.>

        

Sabrina watched as Jennifer raised her hands, bringing them to her face. She could hear the young girl quietly sobbing through her hands, as the words she thought entered Jennifer’s mind.

Sabrina let out a sigh.

<I’m sorry if that came across as harsh.> She apologized to Jennifer. <But the truth of the matter is; is that I haven’t had an extensive interaction with other people: so I’m not used to dealing with the emotions of others. So I’m not sure how to be “tactful.” As May has put it.>

Sabrina awkwardly reached out and gently and softly, tapped Jennifer’s shoulder. Like it was a Houndoom about to use Bite on her; trying her best to bring comfort to the upset girl.

                    

<I’ve been watching you, despite my sickness. I can tell that you have a lot of negative emotions built up within your mind: that you haven’t been releasing them by communicating with anyone; not even your own Pokémon.> Sabrina points down at Kirlia who was comforting her trainer.

                     <Did you think she was just comforting you because I’m making you feel emotions? She trying to sooth you, because she has been able to feel the negative emotions you’ve been giving off.> Sabrina points out to Jennifer. <It’s a responsibility for trainer’s with psychic type Pokémon, to have a better control over their emotions; lest their own emotions leak into the Pokémon’s own mind.> She told her.

                  

Jennifer finally lowered her hands a little, just to look over them. So that she could stare down at the blurry figure of Luminary. Who was hugging Jennifer’s leg, while trying to release Calm Mind, in an attempt to help alleviate Jennifer’s distress.

                          Jennifer felt like she was about to cry more. As she realized what her self-isolation from May and Sabrina had been doing to herself and those around her.

She lowered herself down to a kneeling position. Taking Luminary into her arms, who also hugged Jennifer back.

      

“I— *HIC* —I’m sorry Lumi! I!— *HIC* —I didn’t mean too!—“

“Kirli Kirl Kirlia, lia Kirl!” <It’s okay, Jennifer!> Luminary told her beloved trainer.

                    

             

After letting the duo crying for a time, while waiting for them to calm down. Sabrina spoke up for the first time.

“Are you finally ready to let out what you’ve been hiding, Jennifer Barakat?” Sabrina propositioned to her traveling companion.

Jennifer sniffs into her sleeve and whips her face before turning around.

“Y-Yeah.” Jennifer says with puffy eyes from her cry. “I’m a-alright now…” But instead of saying anything more. She just looked down at her hands.

Sabrina waited patiently, as she knew that Jennifer was building up courage to speak.

          

“I… I’m sorry.” Jennifer said to Sabrina finally, after about five minutes. “Y-Y-You’re right; you’ve been right…… I have been avoiding you…” Jennifer told Sabrina honestly. “At first, when we met you at the docks. I was really excited about getting to travel with you.” Jennifer said before taking a shaky breath. “But then after we started traveling, and as you got sick. I began to use that as an excuse to distance myself from you…….”

Sabrina said nothing. She knew the reason; Jennifer knew, and must have realized, that Sabrina knew the reason as well: but this wasn’t about Jennifer telling Sabrina, or being honest. This was about Jennifer finally letting out everything she had been letting build up inside of her.

                     “When… *SIGH* …When we started traveling to Kanto. It became very real to me; real than ever before.” Jennifer told her. “That even though the reason I came home to Hoenn in the first place, was because Team Dunes was getting dangerously close to finding out about my powers; but at the same time, I was going some place that was also a home to me. I didn’t like that I was being driven out of Ejapul. I hated them and what they did… But I always had this thought that, you know?” Jennifer said with a shrug. “That they would never, ever come all the way and find me in Hoenn: I thought that. No matter what, Hoenn was a safe spot; like home base in a game of tag. That it was o-off limits and stuff………..” Jennifer stuttered as a few tears dripped down her nose. Landing on Kirlia’s face, as she sat in her lap while looking up at Jennifer with concern.

                 

“But then… a tragedy happened… But also the start of a miracle.” Jennifer said as she smiled down at the Pokémon in her arms.        

                  “I met the greatest Pokémon in the world. The one Pokémon, that made me turn my back on my morals of how I felt about people owning Pokémon.” Jennifer looked up at Sabrina with tear filled eyes.

                        “I never, ever wanted to become a trainer.” Jennifer confessed to her. “I always hated that my mom wanted me to follow in her footsteps!” Jennifer growled as she spoke, but then calmed down just as quickly as her thoughts led to a more happier memory. “So I thought to myself: “I’ll never become a trainer and take away a Pokémon’s freedom in life.” Jennifer then reached down and stroke Luminary’s hair, which brought out a coo from her Pokémon.

“Yet, despite that resolution I made to myself. It crumbled immediately, as soon as Ralts came into my life……… I’ve…. I’ve never felt a connection to another Pokémon like I do with her.” Jennifer told Sabrina.

                    “I realized, that we shared a bound like no other; one that connected us psychically.”

As she said this, her arms tightened and she started to tremble.

“T-T-That’s w-why!— *HIC*” Jennifer spoke through a sob. “That is why I’m so scared! I lost my psychic abilities! And I’m so scared that I was going to lose what Ralts— what Kirli— What Luminary and I share; that, now that I don’t have my powers. What is to stop our bound from just disconnecting all of a sudden!” Jennifer shouted in panic towards Sabrina.

            

“I… I,— She means so much to me Sabrina!” She told her. “I love her with all my heart!”

         

*BA-DUMP*

                *BA-THUMP*

             

“If anything were to happen to her because of me! Because of some stupid people who want me just because of my powers! I couldn’t stand it!”

          

“And what if I do something and mess up in a battle one of these days: and Luminary get hurt! Or worse! Killed because of my indecision. I’m not a really trainer!” Jennifer told Sabrina. “I never wanted to be one: but it was the only way for Luminary and I to keep being together……. Now I’m forced into a huge matter of some sort of evil organization’s stupid dumb idiotic plans for world domination. And all I feel is guilty now! This wasn’t what I had in mind when I decided to let Ralts stay with me! I never wanted any of this!” She shouted.

                  “And the worse thing is! *SNIFF* “Is that I’ve never felt so powerless in my life, Sabrina!” Jennifer yelled as she reached up and clutched at the right side of her head. “I feel— *HIC* —I feel like my arm has been cut off, Sabrina… *HIC* … I feel so vulnerable… *HIC* like!— LIKE! A-At any moment! Something is going to go wrong! And that there isn’t a damn thing I am going to be able to do about it!”

         

She glared up at Sabrina.

“And then you showed up.” She growled. Which actually caught Sabrina off guard. Not because of the reason; but the amount of hostility. “I saw you using your powers! How effortlessly you’ve been using them; how much more powerful you are than I was when I had them! *SNIFF* I— *HIC* —…… I… I got jealous…” Jennifer trailed off and looked away from Sabrina in shame.

                      “Seeing you levitate things, and hearing your thoughts in my head. And along with Luminary telling me what Mighty and Champ were thinking. I could also pretend I didn’t lose my powers at all.”

Jennifer then brought her hands up to her eyes, as she cried into her palms in shame.

“B-But at the same time!— *HIC* —It was always a constant remind— *HIC* —Reminder of!— *HIC* —a constant reminder of— *HIC* — The fact that they’re gone! And that I’ll never be to feel my like myself again! *HIC*” Jennifer cried.       

                        “It feels like— *HIC* — That there is a constant hollowness inside my head. Like when I go to move my arm, and it’s asleep and I can’t feel it: it’s a constant feeling of that. *SNIFF* Like stepping down the flight of stairs in the dark, thinking there is one more step when there isn’t: That there should be something there but isn’t. *SNIFF*”

                

Jennifer looked up at Sabrina. Her face was tear streaked and eyes bloodshot from crying.

“Y-You ask me earlier that I have plenty to be scared of………” Jennifer whispered to her.

                

Jennifer hugged herself tightly around her waist while trembling, before speaking again.

                 

              

          

“I’m terrified.”

                 

Sabrina watched as the young woman shivered and cried in terror as her thoughts swirled about everything that has happened to her.

                  She smiled sadly at the younger woman in sympathy. She stood up and walked over to where Jennifer was sitting on the floor on her knees.

          

“I’m not, *AHEM*” Sabrina started talking, but had to clear her throat, as her words failed her. “… I am not one, who is good with emotions: whether it’s dealing with my own, or the emotions of others.” Sabrina told her.

                       “It was only about six years or so ago, that I regained the ability to interact with people again like a normal person: Before, I had at one point become obsessed with growing my psychic powers. To the point that I hurt my own family and drove them away; that is not exactly what happened. But suffice it to say. That, because of my actions, I was actually a mean spirited person, who harmed others and only used their powers for their own entertainment and to torment those who I deemed worthy enough to play with me.”

Jennifer sniffed and rubbed away her tears before looking up at Sabrina.

“Play with you?”

                   Sabrina nodded her head.

“Yes,” She confessed to Jennifer. “The long and short of it is: that After becoming obsessed with my powers. I to felt a void, much like you are now. But not of my abilities, but that of my emotions; at one point in my training, it stopped being a fun thing to do and stopped being an ambition for me, and then became my sole focus in life.”

                  

*PHHHEEEEWWWWWOOOOOUUUUU*

             

“Gengar!” Said the shadow Pokémon who came out of his ball.

          

Sabrina smiled at her Pokémon’s timely entrance, as she was explaining about her past.

                   She reached over and patted Gengar gently on his head in a show of affection.

“What I’m trying to get at,” Sabrina spoke as she petted her Gengar. “Is that, because of my own obsession, I forgot what it was like to laugh, or to be happy or let other people in. I didn’t really treat my family or my Pokémon the best or treat others like people. It wasn’t until I learned how to let others want to be friends with me, that I learned how to be friends with others.” She explained to Jennifer before looking back towards her with a slight smile on her face.

            

“And it was all thanks to this Gengar and the trainer who introduced me to him.” Sabrina told her. “That was what I was trying to tell you before,” Sabrina said to Jennifer, as she reached out tentatively toward Jennifer and patted her head like a small child. “That it’s okay to be angry; that it’s okay to be scared. You have a lot of reasons to be both right now:” She told her.

                “But don’t let yourself get lost in those emotions by yourself; don’t let it become an obsession that consumes you: and always remember,” Sabrina said as she reached down and patted Jennifer’s Kirlia in her lap. “That you have plenty of people that care about you.”

       

“*sniff* I thought you said you sucked at emotions?” Jennifer questioned as she looked up at the psychic gym leader with a watery smile. “Y-You actually said some pretty insightful things just then.” She pointed out.

        

This caused Sabrina to chuckle, which made Jennifer think that may have been the first time she had seen Sabrina genuinely laugh.

“I said,” Sabrina interjected. “That I’m not used to dealing with the emotions of others, and that I used to be emotionally closed off: but since then, I’ve taken steps to reform myself.” Sabrina told Jennifer as she stood up right.

Jennifer chuckled herself as she wiped her face clean once again with the back of her sleeve.

“Yeah, well.” She mumbled as she stood up. “I don’t think you’re giving yourself enough credit……..” Jennifer was quiet for a moment before she spoke again. She reached out and laid a hand on Sabrina’s shoulder.

“Thanks Sabrina……… I really needed that.” She told her genuinely. “I just—“

Sabrina just smiled and nodded her head, cutting off Jennifer’s discursive explanation.

“It’s alright,” Sabrina told her, with a tap of her finger to her temple. “I understand.”

          

Jennifer chuckled at Sabrina’s lack of tact and directness.

        

Sabrina turned to look around the room.

“Now then,” After saying this, the clothes and things around the room floated up and spun around. Folding and compacting, before flying towards Jennifer’s suitcase. “Let’s finish getting you packed up and sorted. May should be back here any minute,” She smiled slightly back at Jennifer. “We wouldn’t want her to worry about you now, would we?”

Jennifer laughed at how Sabrina used her powers with ease as her things seemingly just packed themselves into her bags.

Jennifer felt an appreciation towards Sabrina just then. How, despite everything Jennifer had just poured out to her. That she wasn’t trying to treat Jennifer any differently after what she had said. That despite Jennifer’s confession of her jealously at not having her powers, that Sabrina didn’t hold back on using her own, just to save Jennifer’s feelings of being without them; it was as if Sabrina was still treating Jennifer the same, as when she first met her, despite her disability.

                   

And Jennifer knew. That she didn’t need to say a word or to tell Sabrina how she felt.

       

She just knows… thanks Sabrina.

       

<Your quiet welcome.>

               

             

*BANG*

            

The door flew open.

“Hey guys! How’s it going?!” May announced as she entered the room.

                    But after enter, she noticed that Jennifer’s eyes were slightly puffy and red, with tear stains still on her cheeks.

“H-Hey!” May asked Jennifer as she rushed to her surrogate sister’s side. “What’s wrong? Did Sabrina bully you?”

Sabrina scoffed at May’s accusation.

“I can’t believe that I’m the first one you think of when you see Jennifer has been crying.”

“So she was crying!” May shouted in worry. “What happened?! What did you do?!” She asked worriedly.

“*TSK* Such an over emotional little girl…” Sabrina whispered under her breath before folding her arms and sitting back down in her chair to pick up her book and begin reading again.

“WHAT WAS THAT?!” May shouted with indignation.

      

Jennifer laughed at May’s outburst towards Sabrina. She also began laughing harder when Sabrina lifted May up as punishment for yelling and stuck her on the ceiling of their cabin.

               

She thought back on what Sabrina had said, and smiled as she thought about all the people that cared about her. How they all showed her in their own way, that they were truly there for her and wished for her well being.

        

She looked down at the smiling face of her beloved Pokémon. Which caused her to smile back at her.

              

Sabrina’s right. Jennifer thought. I do have a right to be angry and sad or scared. But that’s alright. I have people around me right now, who support and care about me; who love and protect me: and I’ll do the same for them, even if that means doing things I would rather not.

As if to acknowledge her thought. Luminary nodded her head as she stared up at Jennifer’s smiling determined face.         

             

            

              

                

“MMMMGGHHHHH!” May groaned as she stretched her limbs after they departed the cruise ship. “Boy! As much fun as that cruise was, I’m so glad to be back on solid ground again.”

Sabrina let out a barking laugh at May’s comment.

“You’re glad! This will be the last time I set foot on a ship of any kind again.” Sabrina told them. “Next time, I plan to just teleport us to our destination and be done with it. Protocol or tactical maneuvers be damned.” Sabrina announced.

This caused May to chuckle at her sullen face friend.

“Aw come on!” May encouraged. “It wasn’t that bad,” She tried telling her.

        

Sabrina scoffed.

“For you and Jennifer, maybe. But those first six days were horrible. It wasn’t until almost the end of the journey that I began to have anything close to fun on that trip.

This causes May to chuckle.

“Oh come on! I know you had fun at the casino.” May pointed out. “You had a grand Ol’time robbing the slots and blackjack tables blind.”

      

Sabrina did let a small smile creep up onto her face as she reminisced about their shared adventure into gambling.

“Yes, well. It be came quiet boring after a while, winning over and over like that. I enjoyed the live performances much, much more.”

“Ah, Yeah.” May said as she remembered the live show they say. “Those guys were spectacular.” May looked over at Jennifer.

“What was your favorite part?” She asked her best friend.

“Hmm…” Jennifer hummed as she pondered an answer. “I guess I’d have to say: I liked the tranquil view of the ocean. It was, *SIGH*” Jennifer paused as she let out a relieved sigh. “Calming and relaxing.”

               May nodded her head at Jennifer’s answer.

“Yeah,” May agreed. “It was spectacular. It’s one of the reasons I suggested an ocean cruise. You can’t get that sort of entertainment in the air on a plane. Plus you get to have so much fun and it’s like a mini vacation.”

                    

Sabrina nodded along with what was being said.

“I do suppose that is one way to look at it. And I did have fun on the latter half of the trip. But I also didn’t enjoy that first half at all: I wonder if there is someway for me to avoid that happening, if I ever felt so inclined to try boats once again.” She commented out loud.

          

May chuckled at Sabrina spoken thoughts.

“Well! I think it was just—“

                  

           

Suddenly, a bright light and flash erupted from a distance behind them. Changing the colors and view around them to a violent orange and red. Which followed an even more violent sound.

                                 

         

*KA-BOOOOOOOOM*

                       

          

The three and their Pokémon spun around and were horrified to notice the terrifying scene before their eyes.

                       The ship they had just departed not but ten minutes ago. Now had a sea of flames erupting from the top of the ship.

            

Sabrina stared with glaring eyes and scrutiny as she tried to figure out what had happened to the ship with her psychic powers.

                 

“No… way…” May mumbled as she stared at the cruise ship they had just been on, now engulfed in flames.

                 

Jennifer on the other hand, was trembling. She stared at the fire that ravaged both the deck and the bridge. Fire and smoke both billowed out from the open areas where the flames were exposed.

                      

“What is this? What is happening?!” May asked in a panic.

                

              

*KA-BOOM*               *KA-BOOM*

                 *KA-BOOM*

                           

                    

Just after asking this, three more explosions go off on the ship. Two of the explosions happening at both the starboard and port sides of the ship near its hull, and one more explosion at its bow. Guaranteeing the cruise ship’s being capsized and sinking into the waters near the shore.

                

“We should,—“

“Hold on,” Sabrina interjected before May could suggest anything.

“What?!” May began questioning what was happening, as a blinding flash of light appeared, right before disappearing.

                       

Jennifer was also confused and looked around in a hurry, to figure out what had just happened.

                  She saw that the three of them, were now in a completely different location than they were before.

May, Jennifer, and their Pokémon looked around in confusion, as they stood in a forest of some sort.

“H-Huh?! Where are we?” May questioned.

From near by, Sabrina emerged from behind a tree.

“We’re somewhere in Kanto.”

“Wait? Somewhere? Where exactly?” May questioned.

But Sabrina shook her head.

“I didn’t think of a destination. I just picked a spot on the map and teleported us there.”

“Why did you do that?! What about the cruise ship?” May questioned hysterically.

But Sabrina was already shaking her head.

              

“There was nothing we could have done to help that situation.” Sabrina told them.

May scoffed at Sabrina’s finality of the situation.

“Of course we could have!” She argued. “I have Blastois with me, and you have your psychic powers, we could have—“

“And if we did stay there, we would have risked Jennifer’s safety.” Sabrina interjected.

                 

A silence pervaded over their group after Sabrina announced this.

“W-What?” Jennifer spoke up for the first time. Wondering what in the world Sabrina was talking about.

          

Sabrina nodded.

“I’m not sure what was happening or what was going on. But whoever was there, was someone who knew how to cover there tracks:” She told Jennifer and May before going on with her explanation. “I used my powers the moment the explosion occurred; I had literally not seen this coming, so it made me worried about how this happened. I explored the ship psychically, and tried to pin point a person or persons responsible for this. But I couldn’t find anything.” She told them.

        

May and Jennifer both stared at Sabrina in surprise.

“H-How is that possible?! Can’t you see the future?” May asked her.

Sabrina nodded but waved her hand in a so-so motion.

“I can,” Sabrina confirmed. “But only to a degree. As most psychics can.” She told them. “Seeing into the future is a very stressful ability, for one; and secondly, it is the most unreliable ability of a psychic.”

“What do you mean?” Jennifer wondered. As her primary abilities were mainly just telepathy and telekinetic powers.

“The short answer is: that if a person does something or makes a conscious decision or action, then it has a ripple effect on the visions of the future; which means it can change the shape of what a psychic sees.”

“Okay… I sort of get that.” May commented. “But what does that have to do with the boat?”

“That is the thing.” Sabrina answered. “I saw no person on the boat, or anyone from around us who had been on the ship, that had any memories or connections to what had happened to the cruise ship: meaning, that whoever did this. They must have known about how psychic abilities of foresight works, and choose to hide from it.”

Sabrina’s two companions looked shocked and surprised by this.

“Hide? How do you hide from a psychic?! Especially one as powerful as you?” May argued.

          

Sabrina shrugged.

“As powerful as I am: I am not omnipresent or omnipotent; my abilities are just as fallible as any other psychics.”

“But how would they trick you in the first place?!” Jennifer asked in a panic.

“Quiet easily. If they set the conditions to act on a trigger based on a happenstance, and if those things were only triggered by things with no consciousness and freewill, like a machine.”

       

May couldn’t believe what she was hearing.

“N-No way!”

Sabrina nodded in affirmation.

“Yes way,” She confirmed. “There are many ways, to trick a psychic. But that is the most interesting and infuriating part of this. That whoever did this, somehow knew that about psychics in general, and knew how to combat against it: which lead me to believe that, we would have been in danger of we stayed near the port, or had gotten involved in the rescue attempt at all.”

                      

“That is why you teleported us.” May commented, as she figured out the reason for Sabrina’s hasten departure of the cruise’s distruction.

“Yes,” Sabrina answered. “With no way to confirmed who it was. I wasn’t about to take a chance on them using this as a means to distract us, to get at Jennifer.” Sabrina turned to look back towards the direction of the port. “Which I’m sure was the reason for this incident.”

          

Jennifer felt like a Sandshrew had gotten lodged in her throat.

               She didn’t want to ask the question on her mind. But she had to know.

              

“How do you know this? How did you know it had something to do with me?”

                  

And despite what she was asking.

             

Jennifer already knew. She felt it within her very soul. That whoever had done this, was doing this as a result of her.

               

          

Sabrina turned back to look at Jennifer, with a sad expression on her face.

“Because Jen…” Sabrina answered her. “It was ours and May’s rooms that exploded in the second set of explosions.”

                     

*GASP*

            

Both May and Jennifer gasped in shock of what Sabrina just revealed to them.

        

“Oh Arceus!” May whispered in fright.

Jennifer felt so numb, that her legs gave out from beneath her.

18