12. Kai the misunderstood hero
85 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

And here is the conclusion to Kai's expedition, enjoy!

I also happen to have a very busy month IRL, so things might slow down a little bit with releases after my backlog dries up, but I'll do what I can to keep everything flowing smoothly. And here I was, planning to participate in NaNoWriMo. As they say, when it rains, it pours.

  Kai simmered in his frustration as the two made their way through the maze of tunnels towards the entrance. Why did he have to have his adventure cut short like that? Kai felt like he was being taken for a ride, made a fool of, just being completely pissed on for Rory’s entertainment. Of course, none of that was true and even he knew that deep down. But a teenager gripped in a disappointment-fueled rage rarely operated on well thought out logic.

  And by his well thought out logic, Kai decided to make an adventure for himself. He reached into his pocket to make sure that the flip phone Sheila had given him was still there, and confirming that his lifeline was present, purposefully turned the wrong corner at the next fork in the road. The teen chuckled to himself at his cleverness, how he had so easily outwitted his jailer and made a break for freedom. Now, to find some adventure!

  “Waah!” came a shrill cry from further down the tunnel.

  Kai’s eyes widened in surprise, not expecting to find his adventure so soon. It sounded like a child in pain, and almost instinctively, he began to speed up towards the source of the sound.

  It didn’t take long before he found the child in question. He was short, shorter than the other dwarves Kai had encountered so far on account of his age, with his brown hair braided into cornrows that went down to his shoulders. His face held a strained expression that didn’t bely the pain he felt from his ankle being stuck in a locked metal gate. He looked up in shock when he saw Kai, struggling even more when the strange teen drew up towards him.

  “Shit, that looks bad,” breathed Kai. “Hold on, I think I can do something about it.”

  As the child continued to squirm, Kai passed his eyes over the locked gate until he found the keyhole. And the key sitting on the ground far off on the other side.

  “Go figure,” he shrugged, reaching into his sock and pulling out a bobby pin. “Luckily, I’ve got this!”

  Kai stuck it into the lock and began fiddling with the mechanism, his tongue sticking out of his mouth as he carefully listened for the telltale sound of locking tumblers. “It looks like a lock from back home, so you’re in luck, kid!”

  The dwarf child stared up in wide eyes, not letting up his own efforts to get free.

  “I had a lot of free time that I spent at the library when I was younger,” continued Kai as he fiddled with the lock, completely unaware of how the young boy he was trying to rescue was reacting to his presence. “So I figured I’d might as well pick up a useful skill instead of breaking things around the neighborhood. Besides, my mom never trusted me with a key, and she’d be too high out of her mind by the time I got home to open the door anway, so this seemed like the perfect thing to learn. And… there!”

  The lock clicked, and Kai was able to turn the handle and open the gate, freeing the dwarven child, who immediately began to run away deeper into the tunnel.

  “Wait!” shouted Kai, chasing after him. “Your ankle’s still injured! If you run like that, you’ll just hurt it more!”

  The boy was heedless of the warning, however, only intent to get away from the unnaturally tall outsider.

  And Kai, himself clueless of what the dwarven child was thinking, followed along, not realizing that he was the one who was making things worse.

 

  Eventually, the two ran into a sizable cave, smaller than Ingrid’s, but still large enough that the sound of their footsteps bounced off the granite walls in large booms. As Kai entered and slowed down, out of breath, the child ran to an older dwarf, crying as he hugged his leg in a tight grip.

  “Woah there, Ganatin! Wot’s the matter?” asked the grizzled, brown haired dwarf as he bent down to hug the boy.

  Ganatin began to babble an unintelligible gibberish while tears and snot continued to leak down his face, pointing at Kai all the while.

  The old dwarf looked up at the teen with icy eyes and a grim frown. “What the hell did ye do to my boy?” He slowly began to walk towards the young man, each step carrying the wrath of an army.

  “Oh, you’re his dad!” exclaimed Kai, the rush of his previous heroics overriding his sense of caution. “Your kid’s leg was stuck in the gate and I opened-”

  The dwarf swung his fist at the teen’s side, forcing him to jump back in the nick of time to avoid getting hit.

  “Wh-what was that for?!” he exclaimed. “I just helped him!”

  All that met him in response was another swing, this time barely missing his face.

  The dwarf’s arm hair brushing against his eyes and forcing him to blink forced Kai to finally consider the situation. Sure, he’d saved the kid, but what did it look like to his dad? A stranger chases his crying and limping son over to him who just points at the teen. What would any parent think? That Kai was the one that hurt the child, and was still there. Still a threat.

  The dwarf took another swing, which Kai once again dodged. “What the hell did ye do?!” he shouted again.

  Kai recognized that kind of rage. The one where nothing could get through until it was quenched. He gave up on explaining the situation, it was now either fight or flight. Instincts honed over his so far short lifetime took over, working the teen’s mind into overtime to assess the situation for what would result in his best interest.

  The child was an incredibly fast runner, despite his short stature and limp, so his taller and perfectly healthy father would be able to catch Kai without much of a challenge. That just left one option.

  Adrenaline flooded into Kai’s veins, making his pupils dilate to take in additional light in the dimly lit cavern, and making his lungs work overtime to compensate for the full force of his muscles now being at his disposal. He tucked in his head between his shoulders and bent his knees, adopting a boxing stance as he raised his arms to meet the dwarf. Despite the apparent speed of the angry father’s feet, the trajectory of his arms were easy to predict and avoid.

  Kai finally retaliated with his own punch, which connected with the dwarf’s cheek. However, his fist slid off the stone-like skin as if it were coated in mineral oil, leaving nothing more than an even bigger frown where it made contact.

  “Fuck.”

 

  [Class Obtained: Brawler]

  [Level Up! Brawler 1]

  [Str: 11 (+1) | Agi: 10 | Mnt: 10 | Cha: 10]

  [Skill Obtained: Hardened Fists]

 

  “Woah,” Kai said aloud. He began to feel a strange change in his body, not at all like puberty. His muscles tightened, and the pain of the previous impact all but disappeared from his hands. Was this what it was like to level up? It felt fantastic! Like he could take on the whole world at this rate!

  He tightened his fist again and sent it flying into the dwarf’s shoulder, eliciting the barest of grunts as he shrugged it off and continued his own ineffective onslaught.

  “What gives?” thought Kai. Even with the level up, his attack barely did anything. He was technically superhuman now, it should’ve at least hurt a little!

  A thought occurred to him. He wasn’t the only one around here who had levels, after all. The old dwarf had been living in this World all his life, and had probably accrued plenty of them! What was just one against that? The only solace Kai found was in the fact that those levels were most probably in something other than combat.

 

  A punch, another miss. A counterattack, another meaningless hit.

 

  [Level Up! Brawler 2]

  [Str: 12 (+1) | Agi: 10 | Mnt: 10 | Cha: 10]

  [Skill Obtained: Pugilist’s Insight]

 

  “That was fast,” thought Kai to himself. He recalled what he heard in class from Ms. Neal earlier that day, how Earthers had a tendency to gain levels faster than the natives of a World, because of the summoning portal’s magic or something. He didn’t care about the technicalities of it now, only that this advantage could eventually get him a win! It would take some time, but if this fight kept on going long enough, he’d keep leveling up and soon close the gap.

  [Step back]

  A sensation rang out in Kai’s mind, which he promptly followed and avoided another punch aimed at his chest. Kai smiled as he realized what his latest Skill was, and leaned into it. It would be what would keep him going until the point he could win this fight!

  Now, [Pugilist’s Insight]! What next?!

  Kai waited in place as he readied himself to follow the Skill’s orders. And that order was to…

  [Recharging]

  “Wait, what?”

  A burly fist flew right into Kai’s face, immediately knocking him out and throwing his unconscious body to the ground as if it were a sack of potatoes.

 


 

  “Ugh,” said the young man as he opened his bleary eyes. He found himself lying down on a rock-hard bed with a pillow that felt like it was made of a non-newtonian fluid that got harder the more weight he put on it. “What happened?”

  [Pugilist’s Insight] ready…

  Oh sure, now it works.

  “It appears that you got yourself into quite a kerfuffle with a resident smith,” replied Rory, standing over teen with an unamused look. “Really now, why did you run off like that?”

  Kai ducked his head into the hole on his shirt and turned his eyes away from his chaperone. “I wanted an adventure,” he mumbled.

  “Oh Kai,” sighed the posh gentleman. “I was planning to take you to one of the street food vendors to sample some of their wares, maybe even buy you a small souvenir.”

  “R-really? I thought we were headed back to TOAL.”

  “I was planning to surprise you,” he replied with a disappointed frown. “I don’t get to come here very often myself, and I know that you’ve been itching to get your feet wet in adventure, so of course I was planning to make up for the disappointment of this trip to you.”

  Kai stared silently at the man, guilt beginning to well up within him.

  “But I suppose that was my fault for not knowing you aren’t very fond of surprises. Well, no matter. The local healers have looked you over and gave you a clean bill of health.”

  Kai took a deep breath and slowly exhaled. “Sorry,” he said, eyes on the ground. “Let’s just go back now, I think I’ve caused enough trouble for you and everyone here.”

  “Trouble?” asked Rory with genuine curiosity. “My dear boy, you’ve done nothing of the sort!”

  “Huh?” The teen looked up at the man.

  “Sure, we might be missing most of the delectable croquembouche, but you’ve been quite a boon to this stronghold! After you were knocked unconscious, the child you apparently rescued was able to explain everything that had happened, and his grateful father brought you to the infirmary where you were able to make a speedy recovery!”

  “Oh,” replied Kai in surprise. “But I probably cost him a ton in doctor bills.”

  “Not one penny, actually. Brawls are so common here that treatment for them is free! Quite the bellicose bunch, these dwarves are, but also very grateful! The family of the child you assisted wish to take you drinking the next time you come by.”

  “For real? Wait, I’m too young to go drinking though.”

  “The drinking age here is 12, so you should be fine! Though I don’t believe Sheila would be so keen on you taking part, so you can stick with simple fruit juices and soda if you don’t mind. Not that anyone would know with the right application of a bodily cleansing spell afterwards,” he said with a wink.

  “Yeah, I guess I could,” nodded Kai. “But I think I’ve given you a hard enough time. Let’s go back and get some cake.”

 

  The trip back to headquarters was a quiet one. The two men walked without a word between them, comfortable in the silence and satisfied by the wonderful sights alone. The same floating platform now carried a massive crate, undoubtedly heavier from the metal stored within, yet still floating along just as high and quickly as it did with its previous package.

  “Though we don’t have any time to explore,” finally said Rory, breaking the easygoing silence. “I did manage to pick up this while on the way to the infirmary. A sort of get well gift.”

  The man held out a miniature hammer, intricately carved out of a single piece of copper, and the size of his thumb. There was a small loop at the top of it to be threaded through with string, wire, or to even be placed on a keychain.

  “A fitting gift for your very first visit to a dwarven stronghold!”

  Kai stared at the trinket with wide eyes, trying to take in the craftsmanship of what the man beside him was offering. “Wow, that looks incredible! How much do I owe you?”

  “Owe? My dear Kai, this is a gift! You owe me nothing! Except maybe some cake if we arrive too late.”

  “You sure? I don’t have any gold or anything since I don’t think I’m paid, but I have a few dollar bills. I heard that a lot of people still trade them around and-”

  “Kai Freeman,” interrupted the posh gentleman with a frown. “This is a gift, and I demand absolutely nothing in recompense. Your gratefulness is more than enough, fine thank you. Please, just accept it or not.”

  “Sorry, I just don’t want to be more of a burden,” he sighed.

  “You are not a burden,” said Rory in a huff. “You are here to learn, and that is what you are doing. TOAL, and by extension I, are here to take care of and help you find a better life for yourself from where you would’ve ended up. And nothing you could do in your position would be considered a burden. And definitely not running around and getting yourself into trouble. I mean, how else are you to learn, if not by exploring the world around you in a safe and controlled environment?”

  “Safe? That dwarf would’ve killed me if his kid hadn’t explained what was going on!”

  “I sincerely doubt that. The people here may be quick to fight, but they never take it too far. Even when he believed his child to be in danger, he still would’ve dropped you off at the infirmary but with a warning to the staff about your supposed malefic nature. That is to be expected from a Heroic World.”

  “Huh, that doesn’t sound so bad then. So the people here are generally all nice?”

  “Correct! Good to see you are listening well to miss Neal’s lessons.”

  “Yeah,” replied Kai with a slow nod. “And thanks. For all of this.”

  “Not a problem,” Rory nodded back. “We all wish you to be the best kind of person you can be, and a little kindness is how I’m doing my part. Keep it up, striving to be a hero. Because as I see it from your actions here, you’re already there.”

 

  The two exited the stronghold and made their way through the lantern-lit path to where they first arrived. Rory took out his flip phone and hit a number on the speed dial and notified the other party of who he was and that his mission was complete. Within a few seconds of him hanging up, the portal that had first dropped them off opened up again, and the two made their way back to home base, the crate of metal in tow.

  “Delivery huh?” asked one of the armed and armored guards standing at the far side of the portal room the duo found themselves in. “Drop it by the green square to the side while you two step up to the yellow ones up front.”

  As the two did so, a white glow covered the crate and hovercraft. Once it had faded, a monitor in the room turned green. After Kai and Rory stated who they were, this time much less verbosely, another monitor displayed two more green marks. A quick spray of disinfectant showered the two, and they were motioned out the now opened metal door.

  “We’ll have someone come by to pick up the package,” said the same guard. “You two head on out and try to grab yourselves whatever’s left of the cake. It was delicious, by the way.”

 

  “I hope we’re not too late,” said Kai, checking his personal phone for the time. “Hold on, is this even accurate here?”

  “Perhaps not,” replied Rory, checking his own wristwatch. “Time is not always standard across Worlds, and they would have treated you with a spell to rid you of any jet lag so it wouldn’t show.” He tsked out loud, not bothering to hide his frustration. “It’s 9 o’ clock, well past my usual dinner time.”

  “Wait, 9?!” exclaimed Kai. “Shit, I really fucked up back there. I’m so sorry.”

  “Please Kai, stop beating yourself up over it! This was a learning experience for you, and exactly why Sheila sent you with me!”

  “Sorry… wait. I mean, alright. I’ll stop that.”

  “Good,” nodded Rory. “Now, let’s see if there’s any cake for us left.”

 

  The two arrived at the kitchen to find it nearly abandoned, save for some late eaters and a cross Sheila.

  “What took you two so long?” she asked, arms on her hips and cheeks puffed up. “Do you know how late it is?”

  “My apologies,” replied Rory with a sympathetic smile. “We were caught up with a little bit of adventuring, it being Kai’s first time in another World.”

  “What’dya do there, Kai?” asked the rainbow-haired woman with a curious look, her previous frustration all but evaporating.

  “Uh…” he hesitated. He looked back at Rory who simply returned a kind and confident smile, and a quick nod. “We explored the town a bit,” he continued, steeling his nerves and putting on his own air of conviction. “I even helped some kid whose leg was stuck in a door!”

  “That’s wonderful, it sounds like you really had fun!” exclaimed Sheila. “But since it took so long for you two to get back, the cake’s all gone. Buuut… I saved you each a bit!” She walked over to a pair of plates filled with several creme puffs each, and handed them over to the duo. “Also Kai, you kinda ate away at your free time that I worked so hard to schedule. So after you eat, it’s straight to your room. You’ve got a long day tomorrow!”

  The young man let out a sigh. Well, that was life. He thanked Sheila for the desert and savored the sweet, soft, and crisp puffs as he popped them into his mouth.

  Afterwards, the two men approached the counter to finally obtain dinner for themselves. Kai ordered something he knew well, a basic cheeseburger and fries, while Rory did the same; shepherd’s pie with treacle tart.

  “That’s probably the most British sounding meal I can think of,” replied Kai as the two took a seat at one of the many empty tables.

  “And your cheeseburger is one of the most American meals I can think of,” he retorted.

  “Touché.”

  “So, I must ask since Sheila has failed to,” Rory began. “How was your second day with TOAL?”

  “You know, it was really weird,” he replied. “But this is probably the most fun I’ve had in a long time. And even though I beat up a couple of kids, was attacked by a ghost, and was even knocked out by an angry dwarf, I don’t think I’ve ever felt so safe before.”

  “Good for you!” cheered Rory. “But if this makes you feel safe, and you came here directly from Earth, then it makes me wonder what kind of a life you lived back there? You don’t have to tell me if you do not wish to do so.”

  “It wasn’t anything that crazy, at least compared to this,” shrugged Kai.

  “Very well then. To your new life!” he said, lifting a glass of water into the air. “May it continue to be both fun and safe!”

  “To second chances!” replied Kai, clinking his own cup against Rory’s to complete the toast.

 

  The two ate their meals in relative silence, too hungry to continue their discussions. Once complete, Kai was escorted back to the room he’d woken up in that morning, and was given a pair of keys to the place. After quickly washing up and locking the door, the teen impacted the bed with his whole body, making a soft thud as he moaned into the incredibly soft pillow in exhaustion.

  It had been a long day, one full of many antics and misadventures. There was one thing Kai knew for sure, and that was that it beat any day from back home. Well, almost any day. The lights turned off and Kai drifted to sleep, one final thought on his mind.

  “Here’s to my second chance at a good life.”

 

3