chapter 1: An apple a day
1.2k 7 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Do you know what the worst part of being a slave is? It's not the forced labour or the continuous beatings from slave masters. You get used to that. For me, it was one thing. Hunger. Out of all the suffering they put us through, this was the one I couldn't deal with, this persistent clawing feeling I felt in my stomach. The constant feeling of emptiness. The constant... *crack* "ARGH."

"Number 44, keep working. Your slowing everyone else down!"

"Yes, master."

'prick', I thought to myself.

I picked up the pickaxe and kept swinging at the wall. I did this for lord knows how long until the horn sounded throughout the cave, signalling the end of the workday.

"Finally, I can get some food", I said

"Yeah, I'm starving." I turned to look at number 13; his hair was covered in dust, and he smelt like crap, but he made it up by being the only happy person down here. "They really have been working us like dogs lately. I think they are looking for something."

"maybe 13, but honestly, they don't pay me enough to care."

"they don't pay us at all", he replied

I grunted in return. We kept our casual conversation all the way up to the lunch hall. The lunch hall was a large hollowed-out cave with a serving area in the centre. It was basic and just met the needs of us slaves.

"ahh do you smell that smells delicious," I said

"what do you mean delicious it's the same slop they have been serving us for god knows how long. You're the only person I know who actually looks forward to eating that stuff," he replied.

"food is food. I always look forward to any meal I get." I said to him.

We both walked up to the serving area and picked up a plate, and got our meal. It was the same mysterious grey slop we have always gotten.

"thank you for the food," I said to the person serving; she stared at me and grunted.

"I think that means your welcome", chimed 13.

We looked around the lunch hall and found our seats.

"Time to dig in", I said eagerly as I dove my spoon into the slop.

"God, you really enjoy that stuff, don't you. You don't even know what it is?" 13 said

"don't know, don't care. Food is Food. Less talk more eat," I said whilst stuffing my mouth.

"speaking of food, I got something to show you," he said with glee.

From out of his pocket, he pulled out a shiny, juicy red apple

"OH. MY. GOD. 13 where did you get that the conductor will kill you if he catches you with that" I said

"You're overreacting. It's only the one apple, and they won't even no-"

"LINE UP ALL OF YOU" A guard yelled at us. Behind him was a large a large overweight man. He had grey hair and large greybeard

"shit; it's the conductor. If he's here, this is bad, very bad ditch that apple under the table," I whispered

"don't need to tell me twice" 13 said as he ditched under the table

We went and stood with the others in a line in the centre of the room

"it has come to my attention that one of you has stolen something that belongs to me" the conductor said whilst scanning over all of us.

"Whoever it is should own up to it now. I promise your punishment will be light." He said with a sneer

I know that nobody here bought that bull. This asshole doesn't do light punishments. He once had a girl beaten by the guards for having a poor smell like any of us has had a bath. The poor girl walks with a permanent limp now.

"come on, own up. Which one of you stole the apple? my patience and kindness is wearing thin."

Crap, he's looking for 13. Calm down. He has no idea it's 13. As long as they don't find the apple, it will be all..

"Sire, I've found the apple under one of these tables" one of the guards yelled

Seriously what is my luck today shit, fuck, FUCK

“Who were the people sat here" The noble yelled out

All the other slaves turned to look at us. Fucking snitches the lot of them, I'll remember this.

I was pulled to the noble along with 13 and forced to our knees by the guards.

"so it was one of your number 13 and number 44 who stole from me," he said in a low, sinister tone

"But seeing how I am generous lord, I will only punish one of you, so who will it be." He said with a sadistic smirk on his face

I looked at 13. He was shaking. I've never seen him so scared, yes, he is an idiot for stealing that apple, but dammit, he is the only one that makes working here bearable. I can let those bastards hurt him.

"it was me. Sire, I was the one who stole your apple."

His eyes dart between the both of us before finally falling on me.

"state your number slave," he said to me

"44, sire!"

"44, for stealing food and disrespecting your lord, I sentence you to 1 month in the cells"

That's not as bad as I thought it's only one month; I can make it through.

"without food and only enough water to keep her alive. I want her to be barely alive, you hear me!"

"Yes, Sire", the guards yelled.

I felt the blood drain from my face. What am I gonna do without food for one month? I'm gonna die in those cells!

I looked up at the conductor; his sneer was as wide as he is. The bastard knew he hit me where it hurts the most. He probably expects me to beg for forgiveness, but I won't give him the satisfaction. 2 of the guards grab me and start escorting me to the cells. I look at all the slaves who ratted us out; I will definitely get my own back on the lot of you. I turned to look at 13. He stared at me with sadness and regret in his eyes. Don't worry ill be okay, is what I wanted to say, but we both knew that wasn't true.

33