Theatrics are a part of politics
163 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Nobles, this is an important day for our empire. Too long have we been missing an important pillar of our empire. If we are to survive in these troubled times, we must unite to fight our enemies. This is not the time to waste away thinking or scheming. This is the time of action. I propose reinstating of the Archduchy of Merey with the rightful heir of the Cavendish line.” I proclaim. Many of the nobles are clapping. Especially the ones from Merey. Now all I need is the approval of Goldwell. I look over to his calculating eyes. 

“I agree, let us return to the Treaty. I approve of this action." He says. It’s almost done. 

“Then let Leonard Lovell come forth.” I say. “Prove to us that you are the rightful heir of Cavendish.” 

He steps into the room. He then takes off his shirt. On his back is a lion. One that turns staring everyone in the face it then goes back to sleep. One that cannot be a tattoo.  

“Henceforth the name Cavendish which was taken away shall be returned. You shall now be known as Leonard Cavendish, archduke of Merey.” I announce. I doubt that many people will be against my decision. Well as long as we are united this empire cannot fall apart.  The crowd begins clapping. Everyone but Goldwell. He’s sitting, just smiling. I hate that I have to work with him. In the end I shall win. Perhaps he has designs on the throne. In all likelihood he doesn’t. Everyone gets up and leaves. This concludes the anniversary of our empires birth. 100 years and it is already falling apart. No, I won’t let that happen. I won’t go down in history as the last emperor of the ill-fated Allonian Empire. 

I notice that Leonard has stayed behind. 

“Sadly, I can’t keep you as spymaster. You know the laws.” It’s also better if my spy master isn’t the heir to the Cavendish family. Also, I now have a strong ally protecting my back. Sadly, he still won’t be strong enough to fight the house of Goldwell. They are a tenacious family. 

“Sounds good to me.” He says with a smile. It’s weird to think of him as one of my pillars. Ironically Goldwell is the other one. Just like I had summoned a demon, who else appears but Goldwell.  

“Ah, it’s good to see you Cavendish.” He says. Why did he come back? He could’ve just stayed. I think he just likes making entrances. Grand over the top entrances. Maybe I should talk to him about that. 

“You as well.” Responds Leonard. He doesn’t trust Goldwell in the slightest. The three strongest people of the empire in one room. Nothing wrong could ever come from that. 

“We should meet more often. I believe that it is important to show a united front.” I can agree with that sentiment. However, that would make me look weak, asking for their opinion for my actions. No, that will not do. I have other plans. 

“No, I will give you reports on my actions. As the emperor you shall follow my decrees. However, we should meet up more often than once a year. How about semiannually?” This should show the differences in our positions. At the same time, I guess it is a small concession.  

“Understood” Goldwell responds. He then walks away just as quickly as he left. 

“I have to thank you for what you did for me.” Leo says. “If you ever need help just send for me.” 

“Thank you. I will.” 

“On that note, I need to get going. My wife will be mad if I spend too much time away.” He says giving a wink. He really should put a rein on his wife. 

“You’re such a yes man to her.” I say to him. 

“At least I have a wife that loves me.” He quips. 

“I’m likable.” I respond. Damn him and his happy life. He doesn’t have to deal with assassins every other week. 

“My tip, let your guard down.” He says seriously. With that he gives a small bow and leaves the room. He is too disrespectful to me. 


A/N: I like Leo, he is one of the more good-natured characters in this book. Also the Cavendish family is similar to the arrian emperors in the fact that they have sigils on them. On a side note the Jewel like eyes are a sign that one is from the Asherton family.

0