Gifts are good
105 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Today is an important day I’m meeting with Duke Coterel my steward. He has brown hair and dark green eyes.  

“Your majesty, we have seen an increase in revenue to the imperial treasury. I believe that we should invest some of the money on the port. Also, we should invest some money on infrastructure.” Nicholas drones on.  

“I trust I can leave it to you.”  

“I know you’re just pushing the paperwork onto me.” he says scowling. I raise an eyebrow. He then shakes his head and mutters under his breath. 

“So, what have you been up to?” I ask. This guy is the most private man I have ever known. 

“Building an empire” he deadpans. 

“We already have an empire, no need to make another one.” 

“I mean an economic empire. I’ve currently been messing around with banking. I’m thinking about creating a loan system.”  

“Sounds fascinating.”  

“I’ve also been spending vast fortunes to keep the nobles happy.” 

“Did I hear about corruption. This will not do. I forbid you from bribing nobles.” I cannot abide conniving greedy nobles. They’re the worst kind. The kind that won’t help you unless it benefits themselves. They should just listen to me and everything would be better. 

“I do not think that would work your majesty. Your nobles enjoy their presents. It also shows what a kind and benevolent ruler you are.” I think I hear the faintest sound of sarcasm coming from him. Should I consider this insubordination. He did ignore a direct order from his emperor. 

“Just do it.” 

“Yes, my lord.” He says giving a low bow. Almost too theatrical. Almost. Unlike Leo he at least knows when to listen to me. Then again, I hate yes men. I’m also bored out of my mind. But the emperor has to control the workings of his empire otherwise he wouldn’t be better than a puppet. 

“On the other note, I need a small amount of money.” I begin. 

“Ah, yes your sister is going on an outing tomorrow. I believe this should be enough.” He puts a bag of coins into my hands. When did he have time to get this money? 

“Should I ask why you have this much money on you?” 

“I think it would be better left unsaid.” He responds shaking his head. If my country becomes corrupt, I know who I'm going to blame. Oh well at least I have the funds I require.  


A/N: I think this is the shortest chapter I have ever written. To be fair Nick is also not the biggest character in this book. He'll pop up every once in a while but is mostly a side character. I think I''ll give another chapter instead of just leaving you guys with this paltry excuse of a chapter.

0