No one expects couches
107 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I’m a very forgiving emperor. Mostly because I need to keep the nobles on my side but also because I'm a pacifist. I don’t really see how war can be beneficial. At least long drawn out ones. I guess Arria became the empire it is because of that but in reality, it is close to collapsing. It was even worse a decade ago. How they keep coming back from the brink is beyond me. Administration is the lifeblood of empires.  The advantage of more resources is useless if one isn’t able to properly use them.  

There has been one thing that’s been annoying me lately. There is a guest who still hasn't left my palace. He almost never shows his face but that does not matter to me. I just want Goldwell gone. Permanently would be best. Not that that will ever happen. 

“Your majesty, what have I ever done to experience your anger.” He says.  

“Currently you have been negligent in your duties, there is a reason I have nobles.” I respond. I will not let him continue living here. He should be kept far away. It is safer for everyone involved. 

“Do not worry, I have set up things so that I can stay here for at least another month before I leave.” I don’t want to see his face for another month. Why can he stay away from the office for a month when I have to stay inside the office all the time. Well, it's only a month. I can hold out for a month. “Actually, I just saw my daughter the other day. I must thank your majesty for taking such good care of her.” 

 

 

For some reason my field of vision has gone red. I don’t think that I can let him stay here for another month. Every other thing he says angers me beyond reason. 

“Then not only have you been negligent in your duties. You have just refused the orders of your liege. By the laws of the empire that means you have to be executed. Then your family will be striped of the Goldwell name and their titles.” I stare into his eyes. I notice that his face visibly pales at my threat. He drops his eyes. 

“Forgive me, my lord, I did not mean to insult you. You are correct, I need to make certain that my land is being handled properly.” He stands still waiting. 

“You are dismissed. May you have a safe journey.” I wave him away. He gets up and practically runs from the room. That felt so good. I wouldn’t mind doing that again. 

“Was that really a smart move.” Baldwin says. He seems to be thinking about something. 

“Perhaps not, but it felt too good to pass up.” 

“I can only see this a detriment, he is the strongest of your vassals. Angering him may cause a civil war. I can also see this empire collapsing at that point.” He says. That is true. Goldwell will not do that though. There are too many advantages to keeping the empire intact.  

“I don’t see that happening. He needs me still. Anyways, he’s the type of person who doesn’t want to be the one in charge. He likes second place much more.” I mention. 

“Still you are generally much more logical, especially with the vassals who are loyal to you.” He says. That is true. I am a kind and benevolent emperor. Then again, the other emperors don’t set a high bar for me to aspire to. Actually, most of them sucked. Even my father was a horrible ruler. The only good thing that came out of his reign was the military and naval reforms. 

“I just don’t like him. I know that I'm creating unnecessary conflict but I can’t help it.” I should have a better control of my emotions. It’s my logical outlook that has kept me alive. That and couches. No one expects couches. On the other note. I grab one of my knives and throw it at the curtain behind me. A body plops down on the ground. 

“It would have been better to keep him alive.” Perhaps but there are too many assassins as is. I don’t have 9 lives. I have just one. 

“Yes, but I rather like my life, so I won’t be leaving an opening.”  

“That’s why you should sire an heir soon.” That is true. The thing is I just don’t trust anyone. I’d be unprepared. No, I can’t even sleep on a bed much less with someone else. I guess I'm also a paranoid emperor. 


A/N: I should mention that James hates Goldwell. There is good reason for that but that involves Elizabeth and her backstory. I'd also like to mention we saw a bit of James' magical power. Most of the time it is subtle, helping him notice his surrounding. But he can also use it to intimidate people. What do you guys think of James? I'd really like to know.

0