Democracy on the continent
50 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Today I will be conducting your lesson.” Elizabeth states. At least it isn’t Brother.  

“What will we be talking about today?” I ask. 

“We will be talking about political theory.” She responds. “What do you know about our government.” 

“Well, the House of Nobles meets every year. The emperor can call them at any time though. If a law is to be changed or added one must get permission from the Parliament.” 

“That is true. However, that is only for major laws and for minor ones it will suffice to have the emperor sign it. How is the Allonian Government different from others?” 

“Well, for one, it is different from Arria and the Yanzhou where the emperor can make any law that he pleases. It is also different from the Kingdom of Felworth where the king is appointed authority by god's grace. Instead the nobility chooses amongst themselves whoever is the most fit to rule. Decided by both blood and talent.” 

“That is true. Can you tell me about the Yeon and the Republic of Hertland?” 

“Yeon is an oligarcic republic. It is a place where merchants rule and money speaks. Hertland is probably the most democratic country on the continent. They don’t have a king, instead every 5 years every citizen will elect one person to become their president.” I explain. I can’t say that I approve of this form of government. It works well in small countries but when we get to the bigger countries it tends to fall apart. 

“Well said, however, the citizens of Hertland don’t elect the president. They elect their representatives who in turn elect the president. Having said that, they still elect those officials.” That is sad. I was hoping that they would turn out better. 

“Having said that, what is the features that shape how governments form?” Elizabeth asks me. 

“The people within it?” I answer with a question. It is a good point. Why are there different governments. What made them change. 

“That is certainly true. However, it also has to do with their surroundings. Resources, land, security, communication. These things factor into the country.” I see, a country is shaped by its goals as well as what it has and what it doesn’t.  

“A government reflect what is the most efficient way to balance the desires of all powers within a country. Having said this, it doesn’t always work in reality. Theory does not always transfer into reality perfectly. One must realize that we humans are a nonsensical bunch. We do not always follow reason but also follow our desires. Ideals, goals, protection. We yearn for many things.” She says with a thoughtful expression. “Having said all this, I cannot say that these ideas reflect the complete truth. That is just how theories work. Trying to make order out of nonsense. 

“Then are monarchies inherently better than democracies?” I only ever hear bad things about democracies. Sure, every instance has led to anarchy. 

Arria had a parliamentary once. It got disbanded when the institution became corrupt. Ironically the system that came out of it was almost just as corrupt. But that is going off topic. The reason that the Arrians created the Parliamentary was that the emperor at the time was incapable of governing his own empire. Just blood alone should not give the right to rule a country.” I’ll be honest, I am completely shocked by that statement. This speech is treasonous and none of my other teachers would make such a statement. Even my brother wouldn’t say such a thing. 

“Don’t take my word for it. One of the things you must learn is to learn of things yourself then making your own decisions and opinions.” She says waving her finger back and forth.  

“You are surprisingly idealistic aren’t you.” I respond. That is why I like her. She also doesn’t treat me like a kid who knows nothing about this world. 

“Perhaps I am. However, in this world, I don’t believe in perfection. You can only find that in dreams.” She responds. “I think it is more realistic to call me a dreamer. I just wish for a better world.” 

“What would be a better world?” I’m curious. What is her ideal world? Does it involve everyone? Those closest to her? Is it a world of ideals or a world of reality? Is it happiness or bliss? Ignorance or knowledge? 

“I haven’t the faintest idea. In the first place, what is a better world necessarily?” She says. It figures that she would brush off my question. She really doesn’t like talking about herself.  


A/N: This might be boring if you don't want to hear about politics. But I think it is necessary. This also explains the views on democracies on the continent. Elizabeth probably has one of the more favorable views on it. Compared to say the Arrians who despise the government form. Also, I must say that I don't have a lot of experience writing politics. If anyone has any ideas to make the politics better don't be afraid to speak up. I would appreciate the advice.

0