Family is important
45 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“James, there is something important I need to bring up.” I feel Elizabeth shake me. I open up my eyes to see her hovering over me. 

“Does that mean you will forgive me. I won’t let such an incident happen again.” I promise. Her face doesn’t betray any emotion.  

“If you get rid of the Harem, then I will forgive you.” She responds. That will be easy. It really is an outdated system that isn’t taken seriously. It’s more of a place for me to keep them as hostages. Honestly, I'm pretty certain all the nobles will support this. 

“You have my word. I will get started on it immediately.” I respond looking into her purple eyes as I say that. 

“Alright, I suppose that I can forgive you. Though if you don’t follow through with that promise, I will punish you.” She threatens me. I’ll be honest I just felt a chill run down my spine. I know for a fact she is trained in the art of torture. 

“What was it that you wanted to talk to me about?” I ask. I am very curious. 

“I’m pregnant.” She tells me. 

 

 

She’s pregnant. 

 

I’m going to be a father. 

 

We’re going to have a child. 

“Are you even listening to me?” She asks incredulously. I just look at her with a stupid grin on my face. “What are you smiling for?” 

“I’m happy.” I jump off of the couch and hug her. “Thank you.” 

“There isn’t much to thank. She says. “We don’t even know if the baby is a boy or girl yet.” 

“That doesn’t matter. What matters is that we’re going to have a child.” I say continuing to hug her. I know that her father always wanted a boy. She’s always tried so hard to be worthy in his eyes. Being as perfect as possible. Not that her father ever considered her worthy of inheriting the title. 

“Yes, you’re right.” 

“I need to know if you’re eating enough. Are you feeling alright? Are you working too much?” I ask a series of questions. 

“I’m fine. There is nothing to be worried about, I’m just pregnant.” She says with a calm look on her face. Just pregnant!? Do you know how many women died in child birth? My own mother died giving birth to Vicky.  

“As of now you are going on bed rest. You are not to do anything strenuous or dangerous for the baby.” I order her. She gives me an annoyed look at shakes her head. 

“You are blowing this out of proportion.” She sighs. 

“I am not!” I answer back. 

“Yes, you are.” She replies calmly. No, I am not. I am on the side of reason here. “Anyway, I want to know how the research on the arquebus has been going.” 

“Well the results are promising. They are useful against cavalry, which is of great interest to me. The problem is their slow rate a fire and accuracy. Though the ease of training people to use them makes up for that flaw.” I report. Meanwhile I bring her to sit down on the couch with me. I really can’t have her exerting herself. 

“That is good. I’ve also been hearing reports about discontent among the nobles.” She leads on. 

“That is true. My proposal to reform the military wasn’t well met. Many nobles support it but many support not supporting it.” I answer. 

“You could have made some concessions. You don’t need to change the entire system in one step.” She responds. Perhaps, but this is the most convenient for me. 

“I need to strike while no one is able to take advantage of Allonia’s instability. A complete revamp of the entire political structure is needed and now is the best time.” I need to do this. Arria has just signed a peace deal stipulating a truce of five years. Felworth is busy dealing with rebellions. This leaves only the Jinju able to respond. But that is a risk I am willing to take. 

“I see, so this isn’t just a grab for power?” She asks me pointedly. Of course not, for the most part. I am just trying to fix Allonia’s instability. 

“I am hurt that you thought this was a power grab.” 

“I see...” I feel like she doesn’t trust me at all. To be honest, that stings. I am only looking for the best of Allonia and this is how I am treated. I will just state that the nobles have too much power and it will only lead to more civil wars if left unchecked. If I can’t avoid a civil war, I can just let it happen on my own terms.


A/N: We have some good news from our characters. Anyway, on to other things. I want to note that family is an important theme in this book. I feel a lot of James' character is wrapped up in it. From his relation with his father to his goals and motives. 

0