A noble meeting
48 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The emperor has been making troop movements. It seems like he isn’t unaware of our activities.” Duke Browne says. I’m not surprised. Perhaps this was his goal all along. I wondered why he gave into Arria’s demands despite us occupying their territory.  

“We already knew about that. It isn’t a concern at the moment. What I'm worried about is the death of Duke Hamond.” I answer. This is concerning. Sir Baldwin said that Asherton wanted Duke Hamond on his side. Instead Asherton instantly killed him. I wonder the lengths that Asherton will go for personal gain.  

“Yes, however we joined together because we knew what we were going up against. If we let that tyrant play everyone as fools, soon Allonia will be under his control. We need to act while we still can.” I look at Duke Bradford. Yes, we need to act quickly. The imperial forces are still weak. The problem is we’re outnumbered 1:2.  

“I only joined in because we could get rid of Cavendish.” I look over to Earl Collingwood. I cannot say I approve of him. However, his influence among the southwestern nobles is needed. I can ignore his moral flaws if he is still on the side of protecting our traditions. 

“I can agree, I also want to kick Goldwell down a peg. If I can get some of his territory, even better.” Duke Bradford responds. Well, I’ll need to think about the balance of power after the civil war is over. It has become obvious to me that everyone here will want some land or influence. 

“Don’t forget that I want some land from Tonsia as well.” I give a quick glare to Duke Browne. He just stares back at me. “Yes, we are fighting for the greater good of the empire, but at the same time when the war is over, we will need to consider all of our spheres of influence.” 

“You’re right. Then if that is the case, I shall draw up some plans. Having said all of this we need to win the civil war first. Sir Baldwin has offered to assassinate Asherton soon after the civil war begins. With his death the imperialist will be in chaos. We will then push forward with the assistance of the kingdom of Aveven.” I lay out the general plan. I’ll need to find a way to defeat Goldwell quickly. He will be the toughest opponent for us to fight. 

“That is all good and well, but what of the Duchy of Mitham. Do you know which side they will support?” Bradford asks. He must be concerned about being sandwiched between two enemy realms. 

“There is nothing to worry about. I have talked to Hamond Jr. He is receptive to our talks and has agreed to support us in the case of a civil war.” I answer his concerns. “I believe that the defense of the nobility's rights is well understood amongst us all.” 

“Yes, it is up to us to defend the order and freedom of Allonia.” Duke Browne says. The others nod their head in response. 

 

“Sir Baldwin it is good to see you.” I give my greetings. He just gives a slight bow. 

“No, the pleasure is mine.” 

“Were you able to get some of your men on the emperor's detail?” I ask him. 

“Yes, including myself. However, I wasn’t able to get any of my men onto the details of Elizabeth and Victoria. His Majesty even denied some of the vice-captain's suggestions.” He reports. I see, I'm disappointed that we couldn’t get any onto Victoria’s details but that can be handled later. The important thing is that we got someone onto Asherton’s detail. 

“That is good, keep up the difficult work.”  

“I don’t know what the emperor is thinking. Why would he try to get rid of the nobles that have supported him? Why would he try to get rid of the knights who protect the empire?” Sir Baldwin asks. He just doesn’t understand the greed in man’s heart. 

“It is precisely for those reasons he is trying to get rid of us. He is trying to gather all the power into the emperor’s throne. In order to do that he needs to destroy the House of Nobles and the Knights. Only then will he control this empire completely.” I explain to Sir Baldwin. 

“Is that really so?” 

“Ever since he became emperor, he has put his people in power. It has become obvious that he is out to gain more power.” I respond. I wanted to believe that he was looking out for the greater good but his actions in the meeting has shown me that he will not be reasoned with. “Not only that but I have found evidence that he has been bribing nobles to vote for him.” 

“I can’t really see him doing that, His Majesty hates corruption with a passion.” He responds doubtful of what I just said. 

“Yes, I know he hates corruption but apparently that won’t stop him from using it to his advantage.” I explain. Asherton might keep corruption out of the economy, but in politics it seems to be a free game. Then again, that has been a thing inside the Allonian Empire since its creation. 

“Well, whatever the case is. I cannot let him get rid of the knights.” Sir Baldwin sighs. “Do you plan on being the next emperor?” 

“While that would be nice, it is not my goal. For now, I am trying to protect the allonian way of life.” I respond. I do not look forward to my goal, it is but a necessity that must be done. 


A/N: Well the plot is finally starting. About time that i got off of my butt and put my brain to use. Anyway, what do you think of the motives of our band of antagonists. Duke Whyte certainly thinks he's in the right. On to the fact of the day. Monza is the country with the closest relationship with Arria. They are big on architecture and culture. A lot of art and poetry. They have many amazing cathedrals decked out in gold, jewelry, and religious symbols. It also has a respectable population of 4.5 million.

P.S. I'll be posting some more chapters tomorrow.

0