Dying traditions
42 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Your Majesty, I've noticed that a lot of the money we have gained from the war reparations have been mysteriously disappearing.” Nick reports to me. This is a concerning matter. I look over to Sir Baldwin who seems to be in deep thought then return my gaze back to Nick. 

“Do you have any clue where the money is going?” I ask. I need to figure out as much information as possible. I need that money. 

“No, whoever it is takes out only small increments. All I need to do is track the trail. Having said that, whoever it is has high connections so it will be hard.” He comments. I see... well this isn’t a major concern. I won’t need to change any of my plans. 

“Continue the good work, report back to me if you find out any more information.” 

“As you command, Your Majesty.” Nick gives a slight bow and leaves the office. I just watch him leave the room. I turn to Sir Baldwin, who is giving me a weird look. 

“Is something bothering you?” I ask him. It seems that he has been distracted lately. He also has rarely left my side for the past couple of days. It is quite strange. Well he did tell me that he would be spending more time on my detail and he is making good on that promise. 

“It seems like there has been a lot going on around here lately.” He answers cryptically. I can’t say I appreciate that. I much prefer when I understand what someone is saying.  

“There has been a lot of movement.” I respond dryly. We finished a war and the army reforms have started becoming a reality. 

“Can I ask what you think about war?” He presses on. Why all the questions? Well perhaps he is finally taking an interest in what I am doing or even my views. 

“In all honesty I hate war. I know that it isn’t a popular opinion but I think that wars only harm a nation. Very rarely do the benefits outweigh the consequences.” I answer his question. Having said that wars can be used for quick gains in power or changes in international diplomacy. Most of all it is the most effective way to force a country to give into ones demands if diplomacy fails. All in all, the quicker a war is finished the better. 

“Yes, I think you are the only person who has that view.” He responds. I just laugh inwardly. Perhaps I just like being contradictory. 

“What about you, do you think war is a good thing?” I ask him. 

“Of course, only through the field of battle can we prove our superiority. Through war we can gain the spoils of war and rule over the continent.” He answers. What a surprisingly naïve thought process. 

“Do you really think we can take over the entire continent?” I ask him in a sarcastic tone. He pauses for a minute. 

“I think that it is the goal of every empire. The more land an empire has the better.” He answers. 

“Not necessarily. An empire is so powerful because it can call upon a large population base. If the land an empire has is full of rebellious people it is more of a hindrance, a great example of this is the Wonsan region.” I lecture. Ideals are ideals. Reality is what we make of it. I guess this is the basis of my view on the world.  

“Is there anything else that makes a strong empire?” He asks. 

“Well an empire keeps stability through three fundamental ideas. Control, communication, and commerce. Allonia has the biggest economy on the continent and the Allonian Sea allows us to transmit information quickly and effectively.” I respond. If anything, the Empire’s problem is the fact that it cannot control the powerful factions within the country. The House of Nobles has too much power and I too little. 

“Interesting, so a larger empire doesn’t necessarily mean that is will be better.” He responds. 

“Another thing to keep in mind is that the world changes, one cannot keep themselves stuck to one thing. Least they risk being overtaken by others.” I have always wondered if each action has any meaning. Everything built up will only be destroyed one day. 

“So, you will destroy the old systems in order to stay ahead of everyone else?” He asks. 

“Yes, I see it as the only way to step into the next generation.” 

“Does Allonia really need such a change?” 

“In the hundred years it has existed it has already gone through one civil war and has barely defended its borders. Every time a crisis arrives on our doorstep we nearly fall apart. I cannot see it surviving at this rate.” I tell myself that it won’t fall, but I am lying. One day a civil war will occur that it cannot escape. I cannot let that happen before it is able to withstand such an event.  

“Then are the knights part of the dying traditions holding back this country?” He presses on. This must be his real question. 

“Exactly, we do not need an elite force of warriors. It is expensive, furthermore we can take advantage of our manpower if we open the military to more than the nobility.” I tell him honestly. This is my view, for better or for worse it needs to be reformed. I will get rid of anything in my way. 


A/N: I can't really say too much. Does the tradition of knights really have to disappear. Should the empire be governed by the House of Nobles or the emperor is decisions that I'll let you make.  Though I do believe that there isn't always just one correct answer.

0