A certain choice
39 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What am I going to do? It hasn't even been a week since my father’s death and already I have to make a major decision. I look at the two letters on my desk. It seems like Duke Whyte is beginning his rebellion. In all honesty I believe that he is doing what is best for the nation, there is also the fact that if I go against him, I will be surrounded by enemies. I cannot agree with the centralization of the army as well. That would give too much power to the emperor. The way I see it the best move I can make is to side with him. However, my father's last words to me was not to side with Duke Whyte. I would have thought that he would advise siding with Duke Whyte. Whatever it is, Asherton had convinced him that the winning side would be him.  

However, can I trust that it wasn’t Asherton who killed my father? No, Asherton knows that I like Whyte better than him. Whoever it was that killed my old man, it was someone who wanted Mitham to side with Widewich. Someone who wanted to create as much chaos in this civil war as possible. I look over to my younger twin brother, who is also looking at the letters intently. 

“Charles, what do you think we should do? Do you see any better option?” I really need to know. We are at a crossroad in history. Our family’s continuation depends on our choice here. Perhaps too big of a choice for someone who has only been lord of a land for a week. But one I must make none the less. 

“If we side with the emperor we will probably be overrun by enemies.” He says only these lines. But the truth weighs heavily on the room. It truly is the smartest move. 

“However, father’s final wish was to side with him. Furthermore, I think that our father’s killer was in Duke Whyte’s camp.” I respond. He pauses for a second thinking about how to answer. It is tough. We don’t have many options. The most obvious would go against father's wishes while the other would be suicide. 

“In the end the choice is yours. The obvious answer is to side with Duke Whyte, however sometimes the obvious is not so easy to discern. There is also the fact that we can defeat our rivals in the region if we side with Asherton.” He answers me. I see how this is. Leave everything up to me. Our father spent his entire life telling us of the horrors of war. After the first civil war he made it his life’s goal to keep the peace. How ironic he died knowing that Allonia was slipping into another civil war. I would be an idiot to side with Asherton, however I have always been an idiot. 

“We will side with the emperor. Loyalty has always been the pride of our house; we will not run with our tail behind our legs just because of a little difficulty.” I say standing up. I look my brother in the eye. He only gives me a nod. 

“Then let us ride out, let us drive our enemies out and take revenge on our father’s killer.” He responds a smile on his face. I just smile back in response. I can’t remember the last time we agreed on an issue. Well they were mostly petty and in good faith.  

“Jack, just remember, I am your brother. No matter what happens. No matter the odds. I will always be on your side.” He extends his hand. Without hesitating I take it. 

“I will be riding out with the troops to stall the advance. I will probably fail. While I am gone you must prepare Mitham for war. As you know. This is one of the most important forts in Allonia. If we prepare correctly, they will be forced to siege it for months.” I give him this piece of advice. If I am not to make it, I need to make certain that he will not ride out and go kill himself. 

“I wish you the best of luck.” That is all I need. I then get up to prepare for my departure. If war is coming, I will meet it head on, I won’t wait for it to knock on my front door. 

“Also, I have had reports of Aveven movements on the border. I suggest that you keep an eye out on the border. In all likelihood they will support Widewhich in the war.” Enemies on all of our sides. This is suicide, though at least it will be an honorable suicide. 

“I will have some troops scout the area. Though it is unlikely that Aveven will mobilize quickly.” He responds. That is true. I need to make a breakthrough to connect our territory with Tonsia. That would be the most optimal scenario. I don’t think that will happen. I know that the enemy is prepared for war. Asherton might have been preparing but I doubt that he is ready as of now. The question is now, can we hold out long enough? 


A/N: A small chapter for today. I've been busy lately so please forgive me for not posting a lot of chapters.

0