Monsters of men
46 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I look at around the chamber. The number of nobles in the House of Nobles is much smaller. However, the majority have stood by my side and answered my call to convene. 

“We are here today to discuss the fate of Allonia. Never before in its history has its existence been in such peril. The secession of the traitorous nobles is a threat to our security. I have called you here for a vote. Will we let these nobles leave or shall we declare war upon them?” I declare to the crowd. Each and every one of them are grim. Some might even remember the last civil war. No one seems eager for another one. However, they don’t seem outraged and no one is arguing with my speech like the last time. “What say you, Nobles. Raise your hand if you support the war.” 

With those words the majority of them raise their hands. 

“Next on the agenda. I put out a proposal for the instatement of emergency power.” I announce. The crowd then begins talking amongst themselves. I need to follow up this statement. “Do not worry, power will be returned after the war is complete. I am not out to completely destroy the House of Nobles. But in these dire times our nation needs a leader. Without one we will be overrun by the rebellious nobles. 

“We cannot give you complete control. That would be going against what it is to be Allonian. Tell us what your proposed changes are and we shall consider them.” I look to the Duke of Holingley. As an important pillar right now, I cannot anger him. I think it is time to explain more of my reforms. 

“First and foremost, let us get rid of that silly harem. Everyone knows that it is a farce to keep family of the nobility close to the emperor. In return I wish for the emperor to be inherited by emperor. Furthermore, the emperor will become the head of the imperial army.” 

“That is reasonable, however I want the house of nobles to have the power to make the imperial budget.” He counter offers. 

“Only if I can veto such a decision.” I won’t let them gain any more control over the country. At least as long as I cannot stop their actions in such a position. “Let us not fall into the trap of democracy. If we continue this path the merchants will come into power just like they did in Hertland. The House of Nobles is not the leader of the empire it is the law of the empire, keeping it from the hands of tyranny. Not leading the nation into anarchy.” 

“His Majesty is correct. The House of Nobles has failed us. We passed the centralization act with the necessary votes but that did not stop the power-hungry nobles from rebelling just because they did not agree to the lawful reforms.” Leo gives a speech in my defense. 

“Perhaps but how do we know that this will not lead to an absolute monarchy. What guarantees do we have. There is a reason the House of Nobles exists.” The Earl of Castford seems doubtful as well. Not that I can blame him. 

“If you did not believe that what I was doing was for the best of the nation why did you not join the rebels?” I ask rhetorically. I don’t expect an answer and he doesn’t give me one. Instead he sits back down and closes his mouth. 

“That is why the House of Nobles will still hold the power to create laws and declare war. The only difference will be that the emperor will become the head of the empire. We need a strong leader who can protect our nation.” I look over to Goldwell. It is obvious why he is supporting me. He needs my troops to move in to help protect his territory. 

“That is right, if we are to think of ourselves as a united nation, we need a leader. That is the emperor, not the House of Nobles. Having the House of Nobles in charge has already shown that it leads to instability. We all know how democracy turns out. Our situation is like that one-time Arria experimented with parliamentarism.” I speak out. The entire chamber erupts into a flurry of discussion. Eventually it quiets down. “Let us put it to a vote.” 

Around 75% of the room raises their hands. The most important thing is that all of the powerful nobles supported this motion. The civil war has only just occurred and this country is already more unified. We continue discussing more topics until the end of the meeting. I already completed my goal so I don’t really pay too much attention. After the session is over, I escort Leo into my office. 

“I need the names of some of the most corrupt army officers I have.” I ask him. I really hate people who do not earn their authority. “In fact, tell me the worst one you can think of. 

“Well we have Captain Graham. He takes bribes, extorts his solders. There have also been rumors that he lets the soldiers under his command indulge in a little too much “fun” as they call it. If you are can find a more disgusting character, I will have lost all faith in humanity.” He says with a disgusted look on his face. I’ll be honest, it sounds like we shouldn’t consider him a human.  

“Move him under my direct command and tell him to meet me in this office.” I tell Baldwin. He gives a look to a guard, who then runs off. 

“Why would you want him so close to you.” 

“Politics and psychology. I need to set into the hearts of our soldiers what we must do. If they are not willing to fight this war we will lose. So I just need to supplant the idea that this is a total war. If we are to lose it will be the end of us.” 

“I see... and how does he fit into your plans?” He questions me. Just trust me, I am a kind and benevolent emperor. I have the perfect plan. Just then I see a man of medium height walk into the room. 

“Captain Graham reporting, Your Majesty.” He says. He seems to be your average captain on first sight. But my eyes aren’t lying, this man is a ball of evil intentions. 

“Everyone other than Captain Graham is to leave this room at once.” As soon as I say the command everyone leaves until it is only Graham and me. “Captain, I have a proposal for you.” 

“What kind of proposal?” He gives me a look of great interest. It seems that he already has an idea about what I will be giving him. The greed is just rolling off his body. 

“I will give you a small sum of 50 gold coins. Your mission is to destroy the town of Bovil. We need to send our enemies a message that we are not to be messed with. Upon completion of this mission I will give you a reward of 100 gold coins and the rank of general.”  

“Thank you, Your Majesty. It would be my pleasure to serve you.” He doesn’t even take a second to decide. Not even a second to think through this preposterous proposal. If he had he would have realized that he was signing a deal with the devil and walking straight into my trap. Well it makes my job easier. 

“That is all, tell Duke Cavendish to come back into the room.” With that he leaves the room. The next second Leo walks back into the room. 

“What are you planning?” He asks me concerned. Yes, it does seem out of character for me to want to talk to such a monster.  

“We are going to commence a purge of the imperial officer core. When it finally takes form, I do not want beasts like Captain Graham to be lurking within it.” 

“And that required you to summon him to your office?” It seems he is still doubtful. 

“I just thought that I should use him before I get rid of him.” Leo just shakes his head at my comment.  

“I see, whatever you think is best. Just remember not to fall down to their level.” He warns me. There is no need to tell me this. I despise them more than anything 

“Just remember my old friend, war makes monsters of men and they are led by heroes.” I tell him. He just gives me a strange look. It doesn’t matter, my plans have long since begun. Nothing can stop me now. 


A/N: Can't say that I support what James is doing but I guess his heart is in the right place. Whatever the case is James has gain a lot more power than before. Whether he can keep his morals is a different matter.

0