Chapter 18: Every Coin Has Two Sides
383 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The four bat-people, led by their unlikely leader Yerty, had reached an audience with the King after a series of paperwork and verification, for the ‘late’ hours and high traffic of the castle, it was actually quite fast. Nevertheless, they still had to wait for the King to wake, while an early riser, he wasn’t a being that could go without rest, and managing a kingdom is tiresome work. With nothing better to do, the small squad had been escorted to guest rooms to spend the night in, as well as access to a communal-bathing room to wash up.

The current King, Jutius Teposter the Second, was known for his war-mongering habits, through his conquests, he had managed to submit the entire Great East Isle under his rule. Now, bowing before him, were soldiers from one of his southern branches, a hard battle as the northern-bound winds made it slower to approach them with flight, he had had to use the V-mage bomb strategy. These soldiers seemed to have something important to report so he decided to let them K.J: “Speak.”

 

There was something about following a scent trail that triggered something in Jack, no monster instinct made him act the way he did, but it just felt right to him to chase the scent with his head low and on all fours, like some kind of terrifying hound dog. The sun had slowly reached the edge of the horizon, casting an orange glow on the surroundings and as Jack grew closer, so did the night J: “I’m getting closer! I can smell the trail getting stronger!”

As he got closer, Jack had to cross a very large river, too wide and deep to simply walk over like the others he had encountered thus far. Taking a dip in the water cleared his mind “Wait, what am I doing? The whole plan was to attack at day, and here it is almost night.” “I suppose I should rest here then…” Crawling to the bottom of the riverbed, he dug into one of his sides and sidled into the hole he had created “Weirdly enough, I miss that asteroid.” Shuffling around a bit, Jack fails to reposition in a comfier position “Never thought I would miss sleeping on rock…” Sighing a bit Jack began working on his slime control once again, he had gotten it good enough to actually be useful, but not good enough to really warrant using it instead of something else.

Early morning, Jack once again crawled out of a hole, though this time with sore limbs and a bleak outlook “Welp, time to get this over with.” Once again turning his tongues to the air, he followed where it was before, and while staler, it was still there “Fweh!” “I was kind of worried about that for a bit!” Taking a more leisurely pace, Jack followed the scent in the early sunlight.

10