Dance In The Fire
112 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jasvinder Krishnan

"And here I thought you had actually been looking after me for the last few days." I rib Thomas as both of us tuck into the feast that had been prepared by the village. Most of the food is game brought in by the local hunters, supplemented by the rations brought from the Citadel by Jackson and Sammie. Certainly not the best meal I ever had, but the most welcome one in a long while. 

"I got here only a day ago!" my husband holds up his hands in protest, "But seriously, Jackson did a great job of looking after you, even if it was just letting you crash on his couch."

"I think there was more to it than that." I point out while gesturing to a server to bring me another helping of grilled mystery meat. I haven't felt so hungry in a long while. Just positively famished. Did Jackson really not feed me anything the last few days?

"No, really. Jackson just left you on the couch." Thomas insists, "Its kind of what the villagers do after they discover someone unconscious at the transmission station."

"Leaving it all in the hands of the Divines, huh?" I reply while carving the tough slab of meat with my knife. 

"Something like that." Thomas agrees, "Jackson said that anyone who survived the experience always woke up safe and sound. The will of Iros, so on and so forth. He didn't allow me to do anything more than keep you company."

"And if I did not survive the prayer?" I quiz while chewing on the meat, giving my jaw a good workout. 

"Eh, Jackson didn't say anything about that." my husband looks somewhat embarrassed, "Not that I had the heart to ask anyway. "

I nod as the noise of the gathering prevents me from answering Thomas. Almost the entire village had been squeezed into a series of long tables laid out at in the middle of the settlement. The tables had been arranged in a rough circle with a hollow center, where a band made out of whomever could handle a musical instrument plays a festive tune to get everyone into the mood. Sammie sits at the far end of the opposite table, where she chats animatedly with one of the villagers. Jackson though, is nowhere in sight. 

"I'm going to look for Jackson." I yell to Thomas over the din, "Just to say a quick thank you." Thomas gives me a thumbs up, his mouth stuffed with another helping of food. 

I get up from my seat and scan the crowd for Jackson without any luck. Wherever he is, its not anywhere near where the feast is being held. Deciding to take the opportunity to stretch my legs in the bargain, I leave the dining area and make my way towards the perimeter of the village. The old stomach is feeling a bit heavy from all the eating and a bit of activity would give time for the food to settle. I sigh in relief as the night breeze carries away the heat from all the cooking and from the press of bodies. Tipping my head up to admire the stars, I unexpectedly bump into an urchin obviously in a rush. 

"Oh sorry." I apologize to the dirty looking boy, "Haven't gotten your share of food yet? Better hurry." 

The black haired boy looks straight at me before turning away wordlessly. Guess he wasn't feeling too sociable. Never realized that there were humans living in this village as well. Everyone I had seen until now had been a wolf person. The village is effectively home to a single clan of these beast folk. I suppose minorities exist wherever you go. 

Odd, thinking of humans as a minority. 

My wandering takes me to the scrap metal wall of the village, away from the noise of the feast. And in the shadows is Jackson and the village elder engaged in a heated conversation. 

"Village throwing Jackson out?" Jackson says, half outraged and half incredulous. I quickly duck behind a nearby building to avoid being seen. Its obvious that this conversation is not meant for anyone else other than the two of them. 

"No, we're not throwing you out Jackson." the elder replies tiredly, "You're welcome to stay. But not your friend."

"Lena bad mouthed Sammie?" Jackson demands angrily. 

The elder rubs her temples and asks, "Lena disapproved, yes. And I agree with her. Jackson, we can't let Sammie stay here."

Jackson huffs, "Lena jealous. Sammie strong, stronger than Lena and all the Braves."

"That has nothing to do with it." the elder purses her lips, "Do you know why this village has lasted for so long?"

"Braves keep village safe." Jackson answers, "Sammie keep village even safer."

"That's part of the reason," the elder concedes, "but not the main one. Jackson, we have survived for so long because we are unimportant."

"Unimportant?" Jackson repeats dumbly. 

"Yes." the elder affirms, "We're too poor to be worth raiding, especially with Lena and her Braves about. But letting Sammie stay will change all that."

Jackson remains silent and the elder presses forward with her explanation. 

"Sammie's a deserter." the elder grimly states, "A deserter who stole from the Citadel. Are you telling me no one is going to try and bring her back?"

"Uh ..." Jackson mumbles unintelligibly. 

"And when its revealed, and it will be revealed Jackson," the elder continues, "that during Iros's feast day we ate the food she stole, what do you think will happen to this village? Do you think Sammie and Lena can protect us then?"

"But ... but Sammie has nowhere else to go!" Jackson protests helplessly. 

"We'll allow her to stay until the next caravan comes." the elder says with finality, "Then she leaves with them. Understood?"

Jackson drops into a slouch and morosely walks away, completely defeated. I slip further into the darkness, careful not to let either the elder or Jackson spot me. I feel sorry for Sammie, but this development has caused more problems for me. My original plan had been to continue my journey with a trade caravan as well, and Sammie tagging along would only complicate that. Then there's Thomas to consider. He's tough and had survived a lot, but this is something that's way out of his league. I might not be able to keep him safe if the Roses manage to intercept Sammie. 

What a headache. 

I begin making my way back to the dining area just in time for the music to start building up again. As my thoughts whirl about in a haze of worry, a hand suddenly grips my arm tightly. 

"There you are!" Thomas smiles, face to face with me, "They're clearing the tables away now. There's going to be dancing to cap off the night."

"Dancing?" I raise an eyebrow, my mood improving already. 

"I knew you would like it." Thomas starts pulling me towards the lights of the celebration, "Come on!"

We join the mass of gyrating beast folk bodies and begin to move with the beat. Thomas holds me tight in his arms and I feel my pulse begin to race. Sweat drips down both our chins as I pull Thomas roughly against my body. 

"I missed you." I whisper in his ear. The crowd roars as the music reaches a crescendo, the celebration reaching its climax. From the skies I can hear the distant howl of a far away airplane's engines. 

"Me too." our lips lock hard and Thomas bites, drawing blood from my lips. 

"I'm glad Iros brought you here." I murmur once we break the kiss. 

"Hah." Thomas pants, "That reminds me. I remembered the name of the guy who called me with your location. Let's go thank him later."

"Must we?" I gripe, "I was thinking of some us time actually."

"Not here." Thomas slaps my arm teasingly, "And the person who called me sounded really young. So none of that in front of him, OK?"

"Yes master." I mock, "So what's the name of the angel sent by Iros?"

"Wu." my husband says after a moment's thought, "He said his name was Wu."

Wu. 

Wu. 

No. No! 

The noise of jet engines gets gradually louder as I urgently pull Thomas through the crowd. 

"Jasvinder, what the hell?" Thomas curses at the sudden rough treatment, "I said not now!"

"Thomas, there's no time." I say quickly while dragging him into Jackson's house, "Pack your things now. We need to get out of here immediately."

"What's going on?" my husband yelps, alarmed at the change in my mood. 

"Do it, do it or we're both de -" I command, but a familiar voice cuts me off. 

"OH ROMEO, SWEET ROMEO, WHERE ART THOU?" a booming amplified voice shouts from the heavens. 

"Oh no, we're too late." I moan, "Get going Thomas! Now!"

"I KNOW YOU'RE HERE JASVINDER. THERE'S NO POINT IN HIDING." smugness literally oozes from that mean voice. 

The musicians stop playing at this interruption and the crowd begins looking upwards at the source of the noise. I peek through the house's window and see a rapidly approaching bulwark flying through the air, the flame from its jets making it look like a comet. 

"BUT THAT'S FINE, YOU KNOW?" Don continues, "I DON'T MIND SEARCHING FOR YOUR MISERABLE HIDE." A brief series of flashes erupts from Don's bulwark and from the screaming noise that accompanies it, I know what's about to happen next. 

Several explosions tear through the crowd of villagers as Don's rockets strike home. The smell of blood rises and panic spreads, throwing the entire scene into chaos. As the villagers blindly flee for safety, Don lands in the middle of the square, firing his pistols into the crowd. Villagers fall to the ground, their bodies bloody and torn to pieces.

Just like all those years ago. 

My ears ring from the explosion, but I can still hear Don's vicious taunt. 

"ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE'S HARVESTING TO BE DONE."

6