The Wanderer
63 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

???

War of the Fallen year ?

The ground shakes , sending tremors roiling up bare back. I shift uncomfortably for a moment on the blankets laid across the cool stone floor but still myself as my companion moans in protest. I stroke her hair affectionately as both of us settle back down under the shadow of Iros's statue towering over us. 

"Back home, this would be considered sacrilege." I laugh softly to myself. The statue of Iros keeps staring blankly into the distance, keeping whatever opinions it has on the matter to itself. The flickering light of the lantern casts a weak illumination throughout the chapel, and the deployment ring and earring left to the side of the room sparkle, the gleam shining through the bundle of discarded clothes. 

"Iros decrees it." my companion murmurs, "Its not sacrilege."

"Good to know we're doing the divine's work." I smile, running my hand down Amanda's back, "Iros is the last divine on your list right?"

"Hey," Amanda suddenly stretches herself and regards me seriously, her auburn hair and fine features softly contrasted in the weak light, "Answer me this. Do you miss Diana?"

I pause for a moment considering the question, before answering. 

"No."

"Really?" Amanda purses her lips in surprise, "You were her main husband at the war camp if I remember correctly."

"I did my duty." I shrug, "I could not protect those around me in my previous life. Now I can. I see it as a kind of, uh ..."

"Redemption?" Amanda replies for me with a smile, "Being a nurse husband for all her children is a form of penitence I suppose." 

"Well, I do miss Donna." I sigh, "I know its not right to have favorites but, you know, that's not how it works out in real life."

"We always love things of our own more than others." Amanda agrees, stroking my chest with a finger, causing me to inadvertently wince. 

"Did I hurt you?" she asks with concern. 

"Its psychosomatic." I say reassuringly, "A little something I brought with me from home."

.... 

INTRUDER ALERT - INTRUDER ALERT

The mechanical voice over the klaxon blares. But I can't do anything about it. How could the Directorate have found this bunker so quickly? The glass capsule housing me is sealed with a hiss and wires snake towards my body, inserting themselves into the output jacks that had been hastily installed just a few days ago. 

"Don't worry." the scientist at the command station reassures me, "the security team will deal with any Directorate goons that show up. Just concentrate on the task at hand."

"Not like I can do anything in here." I shoot back through the intercom installed in the capsule, "We're still going through with the test run then?"

"Yes. Earth is finished." the scientist confirms, "The Directorate doesn't know it yet, but their rebellion has doomed us all. Humanity needs to look further afield to survive."

"A final hope? The last revelation?" I quip bitterly, recalling the hard fighting that took place over the last few years. No one expected things would become so dire, especially when we had divine grace behind us. 

"A blue ocean strategy if you prefer." the scientist continues, "The last gift from God to his children. The kingdom may no longer come to being on Earth, but it is still within reach." 

"But it won't be our kingdom." I say sadly, nearly choking on the emotion. 

"Its the best hope humanity has." the scientist replies, "And you'll be our pioneer explorer. Ready?"

"Ready as can be." I grunt, "Though it would be better if I had a partner coming along with me. Something might go wrong y'know."

"This tech is very experimental." the scientist strokes his mustache while working the console, "Just performing a consciousness transfer for a single person is taxing all our resources. And then there is the issue of a suitable host on the other side."

As the scientist speaks, an explosion echoes somewhere in the bunker, punctuated by gunfire. He glances worriedly at another monitor before going back to his work on the device. 

"Everything OK?" I ask, rather concerned. 

"The Directorate soldiers have been contained." the scientist says, "You remember the transport protocols?"

"Yeah. Water will be the medium, right?" I answer, "I just need to go with the flow when you begin flooding the capsule."

"Yes. Let yourself drown." the scientist licks his lips, "That'll allow the system to hook onto your soul and begin the transportation process. You'll be dumped straight into the host body. Understood?"

"Seems a bit extreme." I frown, "What if the transport doesn't work?"

"We discussed this before." the scientist mutters distractedly, his eyes scanning the data displayed on the monitors, "I'll revive your body if transport fails. But if it comes to the worst ..."

"I know. I need to overpower and fully assimilate with the host." I say through gritted teeth, "Never thought I would be going back to killing so quickly though."

"You are a decorated war hero, sir." the scientist's voice is heavy with disapproval at my hesitation. 

"Killing never gets any easier." I explain, "And that's a good thing. Its what separates us from the monsters out there."

"If you say so." the scientist agrees halfheartedly, "All systems are green. Beginning phase one."

At this pronouncement, water begins pouring into the capsule, pooling at my feet. An electric buzz travels through my body, fed by the cables digging into my flesh. 

"Target dimension has been confirmed." one of the assistants at another console says, "Locking on now."

"Track the host." the scientist commands, "Can I get his current coordinates?" My body tingles as the water reaches waist height. 

"Host locked on." the assistant announces, "I repeat, host has been locked on. Tunneler deployed. Clearing a path through the dirac sea."

Another explosion echoes throughout the bunker and the scientist furrows his brows in consternation. 

"More power to the transmitter." the scientist directs, "Stabilize the transport corridor as quickly as possible." 

"Aye aye." the assistant confirms as the water reaches my neck. Its almost time. I close my eyes and prepare myself. Another burst of gunfire. This time louder. 

"Faster." the scientist urges. 

"System is at maximum output." the assistant fires back, panic edging into his voice, "Stability at 60% and rising. Just a few more minutes." 

Water engulfs my face and I let it freely enter my lungs. My body instinctively struggles, but the restraints keep me from damaging the cabling in the pod. 

"No time." the scientist snaps, "We need to begin transport now! Perform the hookup, set the transmitter to single high frequency burst!"

Single high frequency burst? But that would mean ... 

"One way ticket emergency protocol engaged." the assistant confirms mechanically, "Everything is in the hands of God now."

"Sir, its been an honor." the scientist says directly to me and I snap my eyes open, seeing everyone in the room solemnly saluting me.

"Live well for us, Sir!" the assistant cries out, tears flowing down his face. 

And then the doors of the lab are blown open and Directorate troops storm into the room, weapons blazing. Screams of pain and fear break out as the bodies begin to fall. I slam my fists impotently against the pod, my strength rapidly fading. One of the Directorate troopers points straight at the pod, shouting something at his comrades. 

The scientist leaps over the consoles and embraces the pod tightly, trying to protect it with his body as the troopers open fire with their rifles. There's a meaty thump as blood sprays out from the scientist's body, staining the glass. Cracks appear across the pod and the troopers keep firing without relent. The spiderweb of cracks explodes as the pod shatters, sending water pouring out like a tidal wave.

And the guns keep barking without end. Pain spreads through my torso as I see bloody craters being punched all across it. But as darkness begins to overtake me, I feel a tearing sensation, pulling me out of my body and casting me adrift in an endless ocean. 

...

"Its a good omen." Amanda murmurs, "Iros marks those she favors. Maybe that's why I was told to seek you out."

"There're no scars though." I shut my eyes, trying to put those memories behind me. 

"Not all marks are scars." my companion pats her belly happily, "I feel it already you know? The will of the Divines being made flesh."

"That quickly?" I muse in surprise, "Iros certainly works fast."

"Its been long enough." Amanda huffs and cuffs my face playfully, "We've waited since the Age of Strife you know?"

"But the Fallen are still coming." I lick my lips in apprehension, "They might not be as effective as the denial fields from back home but do we have the time?"

"Our Gods have not fallen yet." Amanda reassures. 

"Not all of them." I point out, "The rot has already set in."

"We'll make it. You'll see." Amanda embraces me tightly once more and cuddles. I close my eyes and savor the moment. No matter what comes in the future, I'll make good on this second chance. I had lost everything, but this world and its Gods welcomed me, a stranger, an invader. They gave me a home when I had nowhere to go. I'll repay that debt, no matter the cost, regardless of who opposes me. 

No matter where they come from. 

2