A Meeting and A Farewell
243 4 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Leader bends slightly and whispers something into Big Sis's ear before nodding in satisfaction. Big Sis gives a firm nod to the Leader and turns to the Valkyries assembled before her. 

"For those of you who do not know me, I am Donna Kuat," Big Sis announces, "Grandmistress of the Cathedral Knights. I will be briefing you on your mission." 

There's a sharp intake of breath from the members of my unit and some Valkyries cast subtle glances at me filled with interest and curiosity, no doubt making the connection between Big Sis and my own family name. I am pretty surprised on my own part, never expecting Big Sis to become a Cathedral Knight, much less the Grandmistress of the order. Selecting their members from every branch of the military that fields Valkyries, Cathedral Knights are a tiny force of true elites.

While the Knights are hardly seen, in contrast to the more glamorous units like the Roses, that has more to do with the scope of their duties rather than any unwillingness to get their hands dirty. All Knights have cut their teeth fighting the fallen and you need to be a veteran before even being considered for the position. Not surprising, as the Knights are primarily responsible for the protection of the Leader. As the Leader cut back on her public appearances, the Knights gradually disappeared along with her, but the prestige of the unit remains strong. Valkyries have been known to accept demotions in rank in order to obtain a much sought after spot in the Knights. 

My unit of regulars is overawed by the presence of the Knights, constantly shuffling our feet with the occasional nervous twitch. The Red Roses however keep up their discipline, standing at attention without wavering the slightest. Could it be a difference in training? Or more likely the Red Roses have had contact with the Knights before in their role as Hand of the Leader?

My head feels slightly faint. All this escalating too fast. I just graduated from the Academy and am already being thrown headfirst into a world I barely know. 

For the Grandmistress of the Knights to personally brief us, that would mean our mission is of vital importance. The Leader would not be wasting her time on a group of Valkyries being sent into Coalition territory and likely to never come back. But this would also mean our mission was dangerous. Incredibly dangerous. 

"Commanders." Big Sis continues, "You may break open your mission dockets once the plane is underway. But for the benefit of everyone here, I will give a broad overview of what you are expected to accomplish."

There's a brief pause as Big Sis allows the crowd to digest what she is saying. When she sees everyone is more or less on the same page, she continues. 

"A question first." Big Sis says, "Does anyone know about the significance of the Saint?" 

There's no response, despite the answer being widely known to anyone who has a clue about the Divines. Big Sis makes an irritated look at the unresponsiveness of her audience and points a finger straight at Nomi. 

"You. Pilot." Big Sis snaps, "Answer the question."

Nomi puffs her chest up and replies smugly, "Saint Irene led humanity during the Age of Faith, teaching our ancestors about the Divines."

Big Sis nods in satisfaction, but just as she is about to continue, the Red Rose with the blonde ringlets raises a hand. 

"Grandmistress? If I may?" the Red Rose asks courteously. Big Sis grunts and gestures at her to proceed. 

"Saint Irene was assassinated at the end of the Age of Faith." the Red Rose continues, "The Divines saw fit to bless us with Saint Irene II, who led the faithful during the Age of Strife. Saint Irene II sacrificed herself during the grand prayer that cast the faithless into the void, ending the conflict."

"Well done Eliminator Mari." Big Sis congratulates, "Your devotion to Bernadette has not been wasted."

Mari, the Red Rose responds with a solemn look to the praise, but the moment Big Sis turns away, Mari delivers a beaming smile right at Nomi. I didn't get a chance to turn my head, but I nevertheless hear Nomi grinding her teeth together in fury at this perceived slight.

Big Sis doesn't notice any of this and continues with her briefing, "The Divines had not seen fit to grant any other person their undivided blessing after the death of Irene II. During the War of the Fallen, no one was not blessed with this privilege, even when humanity was battling for its very survival. Only through her great sincerity, did the Leader manage to convince each of the Divines to grant her their individual blessing, finally turning the tide of the war."

A shock travels up my spine at what Big Sis is saying. Denigrating the Leader was not something to be done lightly, especially if you were a Valkyrie. And Big Sis had not made just a random insult. She had implied that being seven times blessed by the Divines was the equivalent of being an off-brand Saint. Under normal circumstances, Big Sis would be dragged away by the Red Roses for punishment. But the Leader stands calmly with the rest of the bodyguards, not taking any offence.

"But that changes today." Big Sis declares, "The Leader has been granted a vision by the Divines. As we speak, a Saint walks the earth, on the cusp of coming into her power. The Divines have deigned to endow our world with their undivided blessing once more. Your mission is to enter the concrete desert and seek out the Saint."

There's a huge cheer from everyone. This is news. Big, history making news. And we are all going to be a part of it. 

Then the other shoe drops. 

"The Divines have seen fit to reward the beast folk for their generations of faith." Big Sis announces, "The Saint will therefore be born from among them. Look for young beast women who display traits of divine favor. Test them, and welcome the one who passes to travel back with you."

There's a dumbfounded silence at this part of the briefing. Nomi makes a disgruntled noise deep within her throat. But everyone knows this is not some kind of prank. The presence of the Cathedral Knights and the Leader is proof of how serious this matter is. My mind reels from the implications from this announcement. A Saint who is a beast person. That would make her higher up in the Cathedral hierarchy than even the Leader. Would a beast person rule the Citadel from now on? And if that really was the will of the Divines, what are their future plans for humanity and the beast folk? 

Is humanity being replaced? Have we fallen out of favor?

The Red Rose Commander steps forward and asks, "Grandmistress, when you say allow the Saint to travel with us, do you mean ..." The Commander's voice trails off meaningfully. 

Big Sis frowns, "I mean that the Saint travels with you back to the Citadel, unharmed. There is a reason why no priestesses are part of this mission Commander. They have a tendency of placing dogma over the actual will of the Divines."

"But given our function as the Hand of the Leader," the Red Rose Commander hesitantly states, "I would have thought that the true nature of our mission would be clear."

This time, it is the Leader that steps forward. From the featureless robe comes a low, aged voice, hardened by years of experience. 

"Commander, I commend your loyalty," the Leader says, "but if the Divines intend for me to step aside then I will. And as one of my Hands, I expect you to comply. Is that clear?"

"Certainly." the Red Rose Commander salutes, "Our lives are yours."

Big Sis takes up the thread again, "Each of you have been evaluated for skill, reliability and most importantly, faith. The Leader has every confidence that you will succeed in performing this mission. Your plane awaits. Now go."

All the Valkyries give a salute to Big Sis and the Leader before our Commanders begin leading us towards the VTOL aircraft. But as we start to leave, the Leader points a gloved finger straight at both Nomi and I. Big Sis immediately rouses herself to attention and barks an order. 

"The two of you, wait." she barks, "The Leader desires your presence."

Both Nomi and I exchange bewildered glances as we break off from our unit and approach Big Sis. The curiosity from our comrades and the Red Roses is almost palpable, like a wave crashing into our backs. The Leader pats Big Sis affably on the arm and walks back to the limousine with the help of her driver. 

"Hiro." Big Sis smiles before turning to Nomi, "I have no idea who you are though."

"Uh, Grandmistress, doesn't the Leader want to meet us?" I ask, getting more confused by the minute. 

"Actually, no." Big Sis explains, "The Leader knew I wanted to meet you before you were shipped out but the schedule didn't allow it. So she engineered this meeting just for us. You can call me Donna by the way. Just do it softly so no one hears."

"Big Sis." I grin back happily, "Its been too long. You've risen in the world."

"New uniform, same old shit." Big Sis sighs, shrugging dramatically, "You've grown as well. Gotten a victory of your own over the Fallen, I heard."

"Yup. It was exciting." my smile only widens, "I wanted to tell you all about it, but I suppose fighting the Fallen isn't something new to you by now."

"It isn't. But I wouldn't mind hearing my baby brother's war stories." Big Sis smirks, "But more importantly, who is your friend here? I saw the two of you getting very friendly just before the Leader arrived."

Nomi blushes and performs an awkward bow to Big Sis, "Pilot Nomi Blair, Grandmistress. Hiro and I met at the Academy. We've been together ever since."

"Together?" Big Sis waggles her brows, "Like together together?"

"Ah!" Nomi's face turns an even deeper shade of crimson, "I mean we're friends and we look out for each other, so yes? We're together?"

"Hnh. Alright." Big Sis suddenly loses all her previous humor and merely stares at Nomi for a good few seconds. Nomi fidgets uneasily before managing to open her mouth again. 

"If you're Hiro's sister, then why ..." Nomi asks. 

"Am I black?" Big Sis completes the question, "You have a problem with black people girl?" Nomi squeaks in fright and turns her head down at this challenge. 

"Relax." Big Sis laughs again, "I used to get that question all the time back when Hiro and I were taken into the refugee center. Same mother different father. Used to happen on the front line in those days. That answer your question?" Nomi nods, her smile returning now that she realizes Big Sis had not actually taken offence with her.

"Hey Big Sis?" I ask, "You know what happened to the rest of the family? I've been trying to track them down."

"For a reunion?" Big Sis queries, "Don't see why you would bother. After the big Fallen push that scattered us, it was just you and I for a long time wasn't it?"

"Well, we all did live together you know?" I say, struggling to convey my feelings, "Maybe I just want to know that everyone made it out alright?"

Big Sis sucks her breath in, "Fine. This is what I know. Most of the family are dead. Our so-called Father managed to survive though. He's living in the Inner Citadel now actually."

"What?" I exclaim, "Why didn't he contact any of us?"

"Its complicated." Big Sis scratches her cheek, "Like, really, really complicated. Trust me, its better you don't meet the man right now. But he has been looking out for us though, in his own way. 'Father' just needs to get some problems sorted before he can show his face."

"If you put it that way." I grumble unhappily, "Anyone else?"

"There's Don. That anti-social freak." Big Sis snorts, "That bum spent his time in the family avoiding work like the plague and hiding from everyone else. Didn't do him any good though once the family got torn apart by the Fallen. I heard that he got picked up by a recruiter and impressed into service as an Auxilia."

"I remember Don." I mutter, "He was always so distant. I remember him refusing to acknowledge Father as well, father."

"Eh, Don was always difficult." Big Sis shrugs, "Has the favor of the Divines though. Bum actually survived the war and got mustered out. His trail goes cold at that point though. I know he's still alive and collecting reserve allowance but that's it."

"You sound like you hate everyone," I punch Big Sis on the arm affectionately, "but if you really did, you wouldn't have bothered doing your own investigation, right?"

"It was just a few questions here and there." Big Sis scoffs, "Anyway, you and your friend should get going. The plane is going to take off soon."

Both Nomi and I salute Big Sis smartly. Big Sis returns the favor as she addresses me on final time. 

"Hiro, do you know why I picked your unit for this mission?" she asks. Both Nomi and I merely trade quizzical looks. 

"Because I know you will do the right thing, no matter what." Big Sis concludes warmly. 

"Now shoo. And stay safe out there."

7