Chapter 10 – Turning over a new leaf; Part 2
4.1k 16 79
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Like promised, here is the next chapter. This one is all about the augmentations. I really hope you have fun with it 'cause I definitely had it while writing this chap.

Also, I'm working on a cover and a nice visual something for the Root System.

 

If you find any typos, please tell me.

 

Soo enjooy~

 

Iva was deep in thought. After she opened the separate window—which showed the details of the available 'Branch Augmentations'—Iva was initially flabbergasted.

Unlike the 'Mana Root', the 'Domination Root' had far more Tier 1 options, which all sounded great. Iva read through each description a second time to ensure she hadn't missed anything. 

 

Conqueror(T1) – lvl 1 
Disarming—gain the natural weapon(doesn't include natural defense mechanism) of the creature you kill. 
If you slay any creature whilst having 'Conqueror' active, you can choose to use their natural weapon to upgrade the tip of the root(2%).

Upgrading uses  100% of your max. mana, regardless of how much percentage you decide to use. 

Depending on the weapon, you gain different stat bonuses and/or receive certain penalties.

Switching between T1 augmentations costs 70% of your current mana. Only one T1 augmentation can be activated at a time. 

Upgrades: 1 — None [Effect: No upgrade equipped] 
                  2 — [Level not high enough]
                  3 — [Level not high enough]
                  4 — [Level not high enough] 
                 [----]

This one is definitely quite cool and probably really bizarre. It says 'gain their natural weapon to upgrade the root', but it doesn't say how exactly. Does the root grow mandibles, or do I get the material they are made of—chitin? Is it some kind of combination of the two? Urg, I dunno, but a root with lots of clicking mandibles is truly nightmare material.

 

Morphology(T1) – lvl 1 
Hunter—learn the specialty of an animal.
You are able to use the specialty(doesn't include natural weapons for attacking) of the animal you devoured last and reproduce it. 
Depending on the plant, you gain different stat bonuses and/or receive certain penalties.

Switching between T1 augmentations costs 70% of your current mana. Only one T1 augmentation can be activated at a time. 

Specialty: 1 — None [Effect: No specialty equipped | uses (x) mana every 5s] 
                 2 — [Level not high enough]
                 3 — [Level not high enough]
                 4 — [Level not high enough] 
                 [----]

This one also sounds pretty useful. I mean, if I kill a spider, I could probably create webs. So many possibilities ~

 

Vulcanization(T1) – lvl 1 
Rubber! Your root is now truly flexible and elastic. Wrap your enemies like a constrictor and pull them into the depths or mangle them. 
Your root loses most of its piercing force and can't dig through overly hard soil. 

Switching between T1 augmentations costs 70% of your current mana. Only one T1 augmentation can be activated at a time.

+2 Dexterity on 'Domination Root'
+1 Endurance on 'Domination Root'
+5 Flexibility on 'Domination Root'
+10 Flexibility Roots on 'Domination Root'

Wait a second, wasn't vulcanization some kind of chemical process that needs a lot of heat? You know what, no. I won't even question this... Anyway, it might come in handy depending on the situation. Imagine I can't pierce through an enemy because its skin or armor is too hard. Then strangling them is my only option, as long as they can't cut the root, though.

 

Petrography(T1) – lvl 1 
Stones and Stones will break their bones—examine minerals, store and use them. 
You can choose 1 stored mineral to restructure the nature of your root.
The more minerals of the same kind are stored, the more your root can be restructured. Uses 20% of your max. mana per every percentage of the reconstructed part (of the root).  

Depending on the mineral, you gain different stat bonuses and/or receive certain penalties.

Stored minerals: 1 — None [Effect: No specialty equipped | 0% of the root is reconstructed] 
            2 — [Level not high enough]
            3 — [Level not high enough]
            4 — [Level not high enough] 

Switching between T1 augmentations costs 70% of your current mana. Only one T1 augmentation can be activated at a time.         

It still amazes me, even after reading it a second time. If I get my roots on some amazing ores, I could make myself really durable against attacks. No ant can bite through stone! At least, I hope they can't.

 

Blade Head(T1) – lvl 1 
Who needs a sword if you have a root? The top part of your root will become a hardened root blade. You can easily cut and pierce with it, even against stronger defenses. 

The tip loses its flexibility.

Switching between T1 augmentations costs 70% of your current mana. Only one T1 augmentation can be activated at a time.

+5 Strength on 'Domination Root'
+2 Endurance on 'Domination Root'
+5 Vitality on 'Domination Root'
-100% Flexibility at the top tip of the 'Domination Root' 

Yeah, still the same. It seems lame, but I would have a neat weapon in an instant. The plus strength is also quite good for the early level. Ants wouldn't be a problem with it or even other creatures that may lurk now around me above the ground. Definitely worth considering.

 

Absorber(T1) – lvl 1
Leech—everything you massacre will give you a certain amount of mana and energy. 

Switching between T1 augmentations costs 70% of your current mana. Only one T1 augmentation can be activated at a time.

1% max. mana refund per kill 
1% max. Energy refund per kill

One of my Tier 1 favorites. I'm definitely able to fight prolonged battles with this, at least in theory. This would be awesome against multiple ants but a disadvantage when fighting a stronger opponent. If I could only combine it with another one. 

Iva thought again for a moment before she mentally nodded, Yes, they are all great—in one way or another—but the problem is that I don't know which one will be the most beneficial to me right now.

Iva was torn between the choices. She still didn't know how exactly it was possible for her to gain more Branch Augmentations. Yes, she got three new ones after the evolution, but this couldn't be it. It simply would be weird if they were only rewards for a successful evolution. There had to be other ways. 

Without those, she wouldn't be stuck with the decision to use those points reasonably. Not to mention that there was still the 'Mana Root' that could be updated. 

Yet, something Iva figured out while looking back into the options of the Mana 'Root' was that Tier 2 required two of those points. But what about Tier 3? 

Iva opened the other window again. So far, she was too focused on the Tier 1 augmentations in the 'Domination Root' and didn't bat an eye for Tier 2 and Tier 3. She thought it wouldn't make anydifference because of how continuations weren't even readable in the 'Mana Root'.

No. Fucking. Way, articulated Iva like an excited teenager. This is amazing! Orbinina, look! All those options! Wow, wow, wow! 

Spoiler

PYVVAyM.png

[collapse]

Iva bounced in a circle and began to read the descriptions, totally giddy and happy. 

 

Zoology(T2) – lvl 1 
The Bestiarium—killing a creature makes it easier for you to kill the same species(sub-species and variants count as a new creature).

When you kill a creature, a record(not stackable) of it is made in a viewable Bestiarium(this effect is not stackable). Direct damage against recorded/this creature/s is 2% higher.

Known creatures: 1 — None
                               [...] 

+10 Wisdom
+10 Intelligence

The continuation of Morphology. Hehe, killing ants will be really easy. My plan to cleanse this world make this world a better place would be easier with this! I already like like like those Tier 2 augmentations!

 

Plant physiology(T2) – lvl 1
Cannibalism—learn the specialty of another plant.

You are able to use the specialty of the plant you devoured last with the root.

Depending on the plant, you gain different stat bonuses and/or receive certain penalties.

Specialty: 1 — None [Effect: No specialty equipped] 
                 2 — [Level not high enough]
                 3 — [Level not high enough]
                 4 — [Level not high enough] 

Mhh, this sounds like 'Morphology', but only for plants. It's still something that I should definitely keep in my mind for later. But, right now, I don't need it. I can't even tell what kind of plants are around me. Okay, next one.

 

Petrology(T2) – lvl 1 
You are now able to recreate and produce a stored mineral for (x) mana per every 1s. This procedure varies depending on the type of mineral you wish to reproduce.

+5 Endurance
+2% Endurance

That must be really nice to have. On earth, this augmentation would definitely make you rich. Still, for a Tier 2, it's somewhat...boring?

 

Double Trouble(T2) – lvl 1
Take the problem by the root—split your 'Domination Root' in two. 

You are now able to activate different T1 Augmentations on each root independently. 

The growth of the 'Domination Root' costs now +2% mana.

Iva's 'eyes' went wide, This. I need this, no, I want this! Two roots at a time? That is so OP! But I need 'Blade Head' for it. Meh, why can't this be a Tier 1? Urg, that's so unfair...

Ignoring the other Tier 2's that were only question marks, Iva looked at the three Tier 3 augmentations with names. 

 

Botany(T3) – lvl 1
The Herbarium—be your own gardener. Devouring a plant creates now an analyzed—viewable—entry.

You are now able to create 'seeds' of categorized plants and control them with your will like a summon. 

Categorized plants: 1 — None [(x) mana per 'seed']
                                  [...]

+50 Wisdom
+2,5% Wisdom [Only Tier 3 percentages stack with other Tier 3 percentages]
+2,5% Intelligence [Only Tier 3 percentages stack with other Tier 3 percentages]
+5% Mana

Holy shit! What's up with those extra stats? Aren't they a tad high? And what does 'only stack with other Tier 3' mean? Is it something like Tier 1 and 2 give +20% on health, and the number that comes out is only then given the Tier 3 percentages? This smells like math... I don't like math.

Tier 3 is so crazy. Can I literally create my own little plant army? Imagine I get my hands on some mushrooms that emit poisonous gas if you come near them. I would be super safe! Or what If I had one of those seeds of the other evolutions! Goddess, if Tier 3 is already like this, what about Tier 4 and 5?

 

Geology(T3) – lvl 1 
The Journal—absorbing a mineral creates an analyzed entry in a viewable diary.

You are now able to recreate and produce categorized minerals within the 'Domination Root' with much greater efficiency and lower costs than before.

Categorized minerals: 1 — None [(x) mana every 1s]
                                       [...]

+50 Endurance on the 'Domination Root'
+30% Endurance on the 'Domination Root'

This mineral augmentation path is basically a tank path, no? It's neat and all, but I don't think I need it for quite a while. This is probably the safest route. Yet, if there are humans in this world and they find out I have this, they will surely hunt me down. I would be basically a golden goose.

 

Hydra(T3) – lvl 1 
A hero's bane—you are now able to have 8 independent 'Domination Roots' at a time. Like 'Double Trouble', you can activate different T1 Augmentations. 

The growth of the 'Domination Root' costs now +6% mana.

Specialty: For every 'Dominations Root' chopped off, you will regrow two new ones. This effect can be toggled on and off. While active, it uses 1 mana every 30s. Regrowing costs 10% of your max. mana.

After the effect is toggled off, no matter how many roots you gained, they will be reduced to 8 again. 

...

...

Orbinia, would I be a terrible shoot if I want this one super badly to hunt down ants? Imagine their faces(or rather not) if they see me with this. I'm the ant bane! Oh goddess, I just imagined 'Hydra' with the clicking mandibles. I would be an eldritch being! And I still want it. What the heck is wrong with me?!

Iva, who was somewhat caught up in her imagination of her becoming the fuel of old German children's tales—which often have a really horrible ending—didn't notice that the warmth she'd felt before vanished hours ago. It was already night.  

Her thoughts were just too deep in all those new possibilities that just arose. The game-like curiosity of how she should skill a character took over. What should she be in the future? A tank? A magic caster? A sneaky assassin shoot going around in a cape and a mask to protect the poor seeds from the threat of the ant-ler and antuin and other totally not copyrighted villains? Her final villain would probably be an ant that is also hu-man-like. Iva shuddered at this thought and then shook her head because an abomination like this would never ever exist. 

And let us just ignore the fact that Iva saw herself as the hero in her own story and not the villain—even if she totally was the evil one here. Ultimately, she had come to a decision.

Ding' You learned 'Blade Head'.

Her reasoning for choosing this one out of all Tier 1s was quite simple—'Double Trouble'.

Yes, Iva had two other roots available, but she didn't know when she would be able to choose the next one and if it would be similar to the 'Domination Root'. 

Another root to defend herself would be a game-changer. However, she was also aware that she might not be able to get any more augmentations until she reached the next evolution. Yet, even knowing this, she took the risk. 

I will find a way to get more points, was what she thought.

Without further ado, she switched to the 'Mana Root' window. Yes, Iva wouldn't decide for 'Double Trouble' now. It crossed her mind more than once, but even if it did, what she really needed right now wasn't something that crossed but eased it.

Ding' You learned 'Mana Touch'.1Look down in the author notes

 

And all at once, the world changed around Iva. The map before her inner eye changed, and suddenly she was able to make out rough shapes. 

Everything was still a bit abstract, but even this was better than the uniform mush she had perceived. She could see grasses, their shape, how the ground was formed, and how the world was actually built around her. And she could ultimately recognize herself.

Iva began to cry. After all these months, she could 'see'. She finally felt lighter, as if a heavy burden had been lifted from her. It now felt like this world was not just a bad dream. No, it was real, and Iva would do everything she could to obtain a fair fresh start and foothold in this world—even if it meant killing.

 

Thanks for reading!

Which augmentation would you have chosen?

 

 

Mana Touch:

Spoiler

You are able to perceive the world around you in greater detail. Everything your sphere touches constructs a detailed outer view before your inner eye. It will now be easier for you to distinguish between objects externally. 

+2% max. radius
+2% Mana-Regeneration 

[collapse]

 

Also, a special thank you to Niame, who proofread the augmentations~

 

79