Chapter 180: Uncooperative Lady with Knives
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So Lark wanted to see some demonic credentials? Fine. In the empty sad lounge of the Cosmopolitan, Nyx held one arm out. Their gauntlet fused into their arm, and it all shapeshifted into a blade.

“No, I meant your name,” said Lark. “And title. Strong magic alone isn’t proof.”

Wow. As if this woman could honestly cross-check Nyx against some demon phone book. Nyx wanted to roll their eyes, but they knew it wouldn’t be smart to lay the rudeness on too thick. They’d just let Lark live the fantasy of having any high horse at all.

The air around Nyx sparked. Suddenly plumes of smoke, purple-blue, swallowed them up and trailed away. What remained was the lord of Nightfall, conventional and undisguised.

With the tone you’d use to read a shopping list, Nyx-as-Nyx recited, “My name is Demon Lord Nyx, my domain is in the Shadowdepths, I rule Nightfall Castle (address withheld), my powers include shapeshifting, light, shadow, pretty much, yeah.”

Another puff of smoke, and they were Athalie again.

“...How’d you do that?” said Lark. “The smoke effect?”

“Whuh?” they said, forgetting to shift their voice back.

“No ulterior motive. I’m just genuinely curious this time.”

“Oh, it...comes from my body. Just another form of shapeshifting, except I lose a few body cells. It hurts a little, actually.”

“Wow... What species are you?”

“You mean ‘race?’ They don’t do ‘species’ in hellI mean, the hells. I’m a homunculus.”

Lark nodded sagely. Then she whipped a knife past Nyx’s chest, followed up with an upward cut from the other hand, and stepped forward, churning the blades through the air, until she had Nyx’s back literally thumped against the wall.

Nyx breathed and looked Lark dead in the eye...and level with both their eyes was the surface of one of Lark’s knives.

The problem wasn’t that Nyx couldn’t defend themself. Of course they were stronger than a witch. But Lark was goading them.

“You wouldn’t have bones,” Lark murmured, “would you?”

“It depends,” said Nyx.

Lark sheathed one knife, grabbed Nyx's gauntlet-bearing handNyx didn’t fight itand with her thumb pried open a gap in the armor at their wrist. Slowly she slid a blade across it. For the first few seconds, blood rose in beads. Then it flew as smoke. Nyx could have maintained the illusion of blood for longer. No point doing that here, obviously.

“I’m not here to hurt anyone,” grumbled Nyx. “See?”

“Of course you haven’t hurt me yet,” said Lark. “But what about down there?

“There are far stronger creatures than you in that dungeon.”

Lark got the message. Nyx was looking for a challenge, not killing indiscriminately. They knew that it would’ve been harder to convince her that a demon lord had descended to Gaia with a genuine interest in helping humans, even if that demon had once been human themself.

As the wound healed and Nyx’s arm fell, Lark stepped back and said, “I will...allow this. But what do we tell the group?”

“Just lie by omission and treat me the same as all the others.”

“Hm.”

“Are we good?”

Lark chose not to respond. Nyx hated this, it made them feel pathetic and thoughtless. It also meant that Lark had an easy way to cause chaos in their ranks, whenever and for whatever purpose: the option to say, “Someone among us is a demon, let’s flee or go murder them.” A hassle.

With a nod, Lark went back to the main room. A shred of music escaped through the door before it banged shut again. Nyx didn’t follow. They simply plunked down on the couch and waited for the night to end.

***

“Instructional Brochure #1: Basics and What You’ll Need

“All divers at the Farander Dungeon should descend with the following, provided on location:

“- Heavy-duty, heat-resistant, magic-proofed drakehide jumpsuit. May be safely discarded just inside of the entrance, then worn again as divers leave.

“- Toolbelt for climbing and descending, including grappling hook. See following page to review equipment and ensure that everything is there. May be discarded at entrance, except for the scraper, which will be needed for dungeon ‘deep cleaning.’

“- Magic-proofed goggles and mask. Make sure to choose the correct size. If the fit is not right and the goggles do not “seal” onto the face, noxious fumes will enter as you descend into the first floor and may lead to an early death. Should be kept throughout the dungeon and worn as needed.

“- Earplugs. Should be kept and worn as needed.

“Remember that Farander Dungeon is FULLY POPULATED BY SLIMES. However, several slimes are HARDENED, MAGICALLY ADEPT, CHEMICALLY BIZARRE and have MYRIAD ABILITIES, SEVERAL YET TO BE DISCOVERED. More information can be found in Instructional Brochures #2 and #3, but, as the dungeon has never been fully explored, be advised that information is by necessity incomplete. The village of Farander and the Annual Dungeon-Diving Council claim NO LIABILITY FOR DEARTH OF KNOWLEDGE. WE TRIED.”

0