CHAPTER 3 – Oh god, hunting
51 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Clailip watched as the refined spirits fought with each other. It was interesting, he thought, they looked almost human now. He then saw Lawod send a telepathic message to the spirits, which made the three newborns deflate. They looked depressed with their hunched backs and wobbly legs, seemingly lamenting that they hit a wall before reaching the strength required to be of any use to their master.

'God, that must be rough, if I were them I'd probably just-' Clailip made a complicated look on his face after realising the direction his thoughts were heading. 'Never mind, I shouldn't think about that kind of thing. Not here, not anymore.' He pushed the awful thoughts away and chastised himself for not learning anything from his past life.

"And that's another way to overcome a barrier… Hey, are you even listening? Clailip!" Simoy smacked the boy with a considerably powerful gust of wind. The boy flinched and let out a loud yelp.

"Ow! Stop!" He hit Simoy with all his childish might, despite knowing that Simoy is impervious to physical attacks due to his unrefined physical body. This, in turn, made Simoy start lifting the boy into the air using magic.

"You should really get that bad habit of yours fixed. I spent a lot of energy telling you another way to overcome a barrier, only to find out your head was up in the clouds again." Simoy lectured the small kid.

"I can't help it 'kay!? I keep getting distracted by my thoughts…" The boy reasoned, Simoy let out a groan and dropped him on his butt. "OW!" Clailip yelped in pain, he slowly stood up from the grassy ground and rubbed his aching hiney.

"What were you even thinking about?" Simoy asked, a twinge of irritation present in the voice that his telepathic message brought.

"Why don't you read my mind or something." Clailip felt upset after being manhandled by the spirit, so his tone was a little too aggressive. Simoy picked up on this and softened himself.

"I can't, our telepathic communication works like a closed corridor, only what you send through it can be interpreted by me. I can only hear what you want me to hear." Simoy sighed.

Clailip let out an 'oh', he looked to be relieved about this revelation, so much so that he let out a deep sigh of what seemed to be gratitude. After a few moments of staring at each other, Simoy's words earlier finally sparked thoughts inside Clailip's mind.

"Another way to overcome a barrier?" He asked, sounding excited "Didn't you two say that chipping away through the wall was the only way?" He added.

"Well, yes. That is the generally accepted way of overcoming a barrier. But there are other ways, like defeating a foe a lot stronger than you." Simoy explained.

"Sounds dangerous."

"It is."

'I might get smacked again but…'

"Let's corner a really strong monster and defeat it together!" Clailip cheerfully said. His words would sound absurd to the average human, but to a spirit, the idea wasn't too out of this world.

Though, Clailip didn't know this, so he was surprised when the two agreed to take his course of action. Pleasantly so, however, he perceived this as finally being allowed to go on his first hunt. So he was absolutely ecstatic. He was practically vibrating with excitement.

"Indeed, that would be the best course of action."

"Doom Rats should be enough to break through the barrier."

"The spirits right now should be around H-rank by human terms right? Doom Rats should be F-rank then. Definitely enough."

"So when are we going hunting?" He asked the two spirits.

"You're not coming with us."

"We're taking the spirits with us, you should keep yourself safe. Stay here while we help your future guards train."

'Tsk, I should've seen this coming. But wait… I can just hunt monsters on my own if they're not watching over me…' Clailip evilly giggled in his head as he imagined the amount of fun he would be having.

"...Fine." he answered, trying his best to look as dejected as possible.

 

"Walking through the rivers alone~ With no one to call my home~ This boy's village is burnt~ To the ground and through the earth~" Clailip sang, he skipped happily on the rocky riverside. The rushing of the river accompanied his singing and the rocks he skipped on made tiny clinking sounds, he was having his own little concert.

'Still though, that was really depressing. I'm just glad that they're not dead… I think.'

After seeing the burnt remains of his village, Clailip almost broke down on the spot. Thankfully, his experiences in his past life came in a clutch, as they taught him how to keep himself grounded and control his emotions. So he didn't end up bawling his eyes out while mourning the loss of his parents and family.

'My main goal right now is finding out where my family is, and how I can get them back. I don't have time to be sad, to be depressed, or to think about possible worst-case scenarios. I need to gather up enough power to get them back if need be.' He thought as he hummed a joyful tune, he gazed at the beautiful river painted with the numerous colors of the fish swimming in it. The forest was very bountiful, so sights like a school of colorful fish swimming through the river wasn't a rare sight. He sighed and admired the beauty of it all before turning back around to face upstream.

As he skipped along the riverside, he juggled balls of water and used his magic to whirl the wind around him, he was training his mana control and his spell casting. These two things were the most important things needed to use actual spells other than the basic elementaries.

One might call him stupid for wanting to hunt and fight a monster without any good way to defend himself. But, he had his unique skill, and he was planning to utilise it as best as he can.

1