Chapter 7: Explosions Everywhere
1.6k 10 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Boom*

An explosion rattled the church, shattering windows and causing dust to fall. All the guests ducked down, covering their heads as the glass and dust rained down. While none were injured, the actions caused a panic in the room. The guests began to rush towards the audience hall. Both Nix and Sonara stood in silent shock, unsure of what happened.

“OOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR.” A loud voice yelled out. A group was now standing in the center of the room, with a king a part of it. Most of them seemed to be military generals and other rulers that Sonara was taught about offhand. Hearing this loud yell, the rest of the guests calmed down and turned to listen. This also snapped the couple back into reality. Sonara quickly pocketed the ring and turned to listen. “Do not panic, people." Sonara almost facepalmed at that. Who the hell doesn't panic in this situation. The king continued to speak. "Right now, this church is the safest place in the kingdom. Some of our highest-level forces guard it. You'll be safest here. Wait for news to arrive from the guards outside."  This quieted down most of the guests, many of who began silently murmuring amongst them as to what the problem could be. After a while, a knight in light plates ran inside, yelling his head off.

"SIRE, SIRE, WE HAVE NEWS OF THE SITUATION!" he screamed.

"Calm down good sir. Now tell us what's happening outside."

"Of course. There had been an explosion in the market district, which was caused by terrorists. During the confusion, some terrorists grabbed some of the civilians and are now holding them, hostage, only promising to let them go if we hand over the hero we summoned." The king's face went pale, as his fists balled up, his knuckles turning white. The clamor was raised as everyone turned in the room to look at Sonara, each having their own opinions on the matter.

"I'll go then," Sonara said, her sense of justice coming into play. She didn't feel too worried as worst case, she still had her blessing of undeath. Hearing this the hall quieted down. The king flat-out refused this proposition.

"You can't! If we lose you, many more will die. Dammit, maybe it's better if we le- I can't say it! When I became king I swore to protect the people, and now I can't!" He grasped his head with his palm. "FUU-" His mouth was covered with Sigorr's hand before the curse word was released.

"Your majesty I have a plan," he said quietly, though his words seemed to be the loudest thing currently.

"A plan you say?" the king inquires after his mouth si released.

"Yeah, a good one. First, we send in Sonara over there," he gestures towards the front of the church, "then we call all the assassins we are training to spy on the human nations. And while the terrorists are distracted, BOOM," everyone winces at his poor word choice, "sorry my mistake. But as I was saying, when the terrorists are distracted, we send in the assassins, cut their arms off, and bring them to prison to interrogate them brutally." Sigorr smiled after finishing off his speech. Most of the military generals and nobility nodded to this plan, while some of the foreign dignitaries seemed to turn pale.

"Great idea Sigorr, we'll go with that!" The king was hooked. It was a win-win-win. He keeps his promise, Sigorr gets to visit the prison and get information and the people are safe

"But what if they see the assassins and decide they don't need the hostages?" One of the nobles in the crowd brought up a point that many of them nodded their heads in agreement.

"They won't. We can conclude that if they were able to stay in the city unobserved they're below lvl 40. That probably means they don't have very high skill levels to counter us unless they specialize, which also get monitored. On top of that their mission goal is Sonara, and if the target is in front of them, they'll lower their guards." His words made everyone around start nodding, understanding what he was thinking.

"So how much time do you need us to buy for the assassin force to get mobilized?" Nix asked.

"Your highness, even if they aren't at the subclass stage, it's still too dangerous for you to go there. Their goal is to get the dark hero, for whatever reason, and seem to be willing to do anything," Sigorr replies. Nix begins to pout. Sigor turns to Sonara then and continues, "We need you to go there now and buy some time for the message to reach the barracks as well as wait for them to get ready. I know it's a lot to ask but distract them for a bit."

"I'll do my best." The crowd part ways to let her through as she was flanked out by Sigorr and a couple of other guards on orders from the king. 

"I request that everyone else stay in this hall for your safety. Those who have magic powers, be ready to form a barrier at any given time." The king directed orders to ensure no political crisis could begin.

***

In a crowded street, lay smoldering buildings with heaps of smoke rising from it. A circle had formed, with a gap in the center. Between both sides lie 2 lines of people, both of them facing outwards, looking at the crowds. Each of these people were fit and dressed in everyday clothes, and now were holding knives at the neck of demons, many crying, of all ages, including a few children. An uneasiness and tension was rising in the street. The crowd of spectators of this act looked on unsure of what to do. In a situation where many lives were at risk, their hands were tied.

"Hey, commander, you sure we can't kill these filthy demons?" One of the ones yelled back to a man standing in between both.

"You dolt. Wait till we get the dark hero. We can bring him home and if he's willing to work with us, then great. If not, then we'll execute him. But they're taking too long." He turns to the crowd and yells. "You've got ten minutes, " he begins with walking towards one of the soldiers holding a young girl, "Before we start taking heads, wbegining with this one over here, " he finishes moving his own knife to the girl's neck.

"You heard him you filthy being," some of them yell out. Some in the crowd begin to surge forward but are stopped by others holding them back. Minutes tick away before finally.

"You got a minute left before this girl's head goes. We know you're stalling, now bring out the dark hero." Saying that, a girl with pink hair in a dress walks out into the center area.

"I'm here."

How do you think my writing style is like?
  • Formal Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Informal Votes: 32 97.0%
Total voters: 33
25