Chapter 3 – Disappointment and Laughter
40 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I looked through the numerous books and items. There were basic magic spell books like 'Fireball' or 'Icebolt' and there were martial skill books like 'Tiger Fist' and '36 Strikes of the Spear'.

 

So many interesting skills and spells to choose from, but what will benefit me in the long run? Then, it caught my eyes.

 

Earth Meld?

 

As if attracted by unknown forces, I immediately picked it up. Flipping through the first few pages, I found that this book was a magical spell book specialized in merging with the earth in order to increase travel speed...essentially, it was a Movement Skill!

 

A Movement Skill! That was something I needed. Sure all those martial and magical books could be useful in protecting myself from bullies, but with my talent and potential...if I were to defeat one, another much stronger enemy would surely rise up to challenge me. It's best to just learn a Movement Skill and run away.

 

But what should I choose? While I was contemplating about the matter of how advantageous choosing a Movement Skill would be, I had already laid eyes on two other Movement Skills. They were Blink - a small-scale teleportation spell and Levitation - a wind spell. All three of these spells looked good.

 

Since I couldn't make a decision quickly, I looked towards my father. Maybe he could help me decide.

 

"Father, I have interest in these three Movement Skills, but I can't decide which to choose from. Can you help me?" I asked politely while I displayed the three books for father to see.

 

However, my father's next words made me freeze. "Idiot! These spell books rely on your affinity to the attributes. If there is affinity, the book will shine with a luster representative to its corresponding attribute! Blink is a Void spell and the book should shine gray if there was a match. Earth Meld is an Earth spell and should shine yellow. Levitation is a Wind spell and should shine green. However, none of these shone when you touched them."

 

"Which means I am attributeless?" I paled at the thought.

 

"Not necessarily. It's just that you don't have enough affinity yet. But don't worry, such things can be cultivated." Father responded with some reassurance.

 

"Then...."

 

"If you really want to learn a Movement Skill, I suggest learning one of those attributeless Movement Skills like...um, well, you'll find one for sure." Father tried to give an example but failed to recall any attributeless Movement Skills.

 

With a grim face, I placed the books back to the pile. I could hear chuckling from the audience and I knew I had just become an easy target of bullying. I glanced around, trying to see who it was but I was interrupted by the urging of the first elder, who looked towards me with slight disappointment.

 

I looked at the pile of books tentatively, hoping for one magic book to light up...Fire Dash, Water Cycle, Lightning Jump, none of them lit up. With each failure, the sounds of laughter got louder. Sighs of disappointment from my father and from the first elder could be heard more evident.

 

Finally, my father couldn't take it anymore. "Have you not humiliated yourself enough? Stop wasting time and choose an attributeless book!"

 

I, too, sighed as I sifted through the magic books for the attributeless Movement Skills. There was only one...Lightness Skill.

 

Wait! Lightness Skill? Isn't this the so called 'Qinggong' that many ancient martial artists back on Earth used? I'm pretty sure even Goku from Dragon Ball Z and Rock Lee from Naruto trained in similar techniques. Although it looked cool, but could I really persevere through such brutal training?

 

I opened the book and flipped through some of the pages to look at the images. As expected! To train for the skill, just wear extra weight. How primitive! And to train my balance...wear stilts? What the hell?

 

Oh hell no! I'm not going to wear stilts while carrying fifty pounds on my back! Maybe I should just go for a Martial Skill book. I tried to put the book down, but for some reason, it was attached to my hand...as if someone had glued it there. The fucking gods!

 

Finally, after a crazed snap of my wrist, I flung the book off of my hand. However, the book flew towards the first elder, who caught it with ease. "Oh ho, so you chose this Movement Skill, eh? That's fine. Although it's a bit low-tier, I'm sure you'll train it to perfection. Now, choose your item and then we can conclude this meeting."

 

"B-But!" I tried to interject.

 

"Hmm? What is it?" The first elder glared at me with an intimidating look.

 

"N-Nothing. It's fine. I...I will train hard." I gave in immediately after experiencing the first elder's powerful aura.

 

"That's good."

 

Dammit! If the gods have already decided what book I must choose, then they probably decided what item I must get as well. I looked at the pile of items and lamented silently.

 

There were a number of Qi Boosting Potions mixed with the pile of weapons. If I could get my hands on one of those, I can immediately jump up a level. But...would the gods be so kind? Definitely not!

 

I held out my hand towards a Qi Boosting Potion and closed my eyes. Walking towards the potion, I slowly reached out and grabbed...something metallic. Sigh!

 

The first thing I saw when I opened my eyes wasn't what I had grabbed, but rather the disappointment in the first elder's eyes. I bet I know what he was thinking. Such a grand opportunity of increasing my level with a Qi Boosting Potion, and I blew it by grabbing a...an useless looking small dagger.

 

What was this even? It was weirdly shaped, the handle was almost as large as the blade. Was it a kunai? No, the blade seemed different. Could this be a flying dagger? A hidden weapon? Interesting! I was about to feel pleased with the choice when the first elder grunted.

 

"Coward! To choose a hidden weapon of all choices. I had tried to give you a chance with the Qi Boosting Potion, but it seemed you had let me down. Even if you wanted to choose a weapon, I wouldn't mind a sword or a bow, but choosing this flying dagger. You have truly let me...let the Lin Family down. Go. You are dismissed. There are more pressing matters I need to attend to."

 

With a wave of his hand, the first elder marched towards Kyle Strom and his daughter to discuss marriage between Julia and Lin Feng. While some of the audience snickered at me, my father and mother quickly dragged me away. Once we left, the whole room laughed loudly before turning their attention respectively towards the first elder and their guests.

1