Chapter 9 – The Traitor
46 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As soon as I woke up, I immediately felt the back of my head. It was throbbing and it felt a bit wet. Pulling my hand back to see the blood, I realized that I was in a dimly lit area. Where was I?

 

I tried to rack my brains and remember what had happened to me, but the memories were blurry. I could only recall a few pieces.

 

However, those few pieces were enough to fit together and form a picture. Because of my goddamn blessing, I offended a family that even my father would kneel down to. And now, I’m here…in jail…until god knows how long.

 

“That girl said she would release me once her bruise heal…but what if she said it would take years to heal? Won’t that mean I would have to stay in here for years?” I muttered as I massaged my forehead. “By the way, what is this place? Is this really a prison cell?”

 

“I can answer that.” A calm, steady voice responded.

 

I jumped to my feet at the reply and glanced around me. Only then, did I realize that I was not alone. Before me were seven distinct areas. Each area housed a criminal and each criminal was bound and chained tightly.

 

I looked towards the man who spoke. The man had long gray hair and a bushy gray beard. Despite his rugged appearance, he displayed an air of nobility about him. He was the one with the least amount of chains. In fact, there was only one chain – from the wall to the iron collar around his neck.

 

I glanced at the old man and greeted out of respect and mostly fear. “H-Hello sir. Who might you be? And where exactly is this place?”

 

“Haha, how polite you are little one.” The old man grinned as he waved his hand as if he was a lord dismissing a servant. “This is the Imperial Ward, where the most wanted reside. My name is Hou Jingtan. Perhaps you have heard of me?”

 

Naturally I hadn’t. But I wasn’t stupid as to say it outright, lest I offended the man before me. Who knew what these criminals were in here for? Judging by how special the way they were locked up, these criminals must have been the worst of the worst. One wrong move could cost me my life.

 

“So it’s Senior Hou. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” I politely bowed.

 

However I realized too late that what I said had revealed to everyone that I did not know who Hou Jingtan was. I could only smile awkwardly as my lie was revealed.

 

“Haha! That kid doesn’t know who you are Hou Jingtan, otherwise he would have spat in your direction.” The sharp cackle appeared once more.

 

I glanced at the direction of the cackle before bowing my head in shame. When I looked up towards the elder, I could see that he was trying to refrain himself from any emotional outbursts.

 

“No matter.” The elderly man replied after a while. “I’ve been stuck down here for over forty years. Maybe your father knows of me, but I won’t expect a young boy like you to as well.”

 

“I’m sorry.” I apologized in embarrassment.

 

“Haha, no worries, no worries. Come, introduce yourself. And tell us why you are in here.” Hou Jingtan chuckled as he bid me to come closer.

 

Not wanting to be rude and also not wanting to walk into a trap, I only moved a couple of steps closer before I answered. “My name is Lin Tian. I was brought in here because I punched a girl…I think she may have been a noble.”

 

“Haha! What is this? You were brought in just because you harmed one little girl? Back in my day, I’ve harmed thousands of girls.” A mellow voice interrupted my explanation.

 

I looked over and saw a hideous man riddled with scars and burnt marks all over his face and his exposed chest. His eyes were gauged out and his nose and ears were slashed off. It was a surprise that such a beautiful voice could come from such an ugly person.

 

“And that’s why you’re ugly now.” Hou Jingtan sneered at the ugly man’s retort before responding to me. “That young lady must have a grudge with you. She’s probably going to hold you in here for a couple of weeks if not months.”

 

“Y-Yea…unlucky me.” I murmured. “Why did that guy in the coffin say I would spit at you if I knew who you are?”

 

“It’s because he’s a traitor.” The guy in the coffin expressed again.

 

“T-Traitor?” I stammered with a confused look. Treason shouldn’t be considered too dangerous to be sent to the Imperial Ward. There must be something more to it.

 

“I can speak for myself.” Hou Jingtan remarked before nodding towards me. “As he said, I am…was a traitor. I was the one who betrayed our kingdom and nearly brought it to ruin. The Disaster of Kylins was caused by me.”

 

“Disaster of Kylins?” I gasped. Even I heard of this great disaster.

 

Tens of thousands of innocent people, including a large number of nobles, perished during that period. The economy almost collapsed and the military almost lost against a series of important sieges.

 

“And you’ve been here for over forty years now?” I asked, wanting to know how long his sentence were.

 

As if knowing what I wanted to know, Hou Jingtan remarked lightly. “Yep, but don’t worry. I won’t be out for a while now. I still have 387 years left.”

1