V1C2 – God’s 1st Trial (The Mind)
509 1 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I was alive, there were such things as escape rooms. You'd enter a room (usually in a gr0up) and find clues to escape it under a time limit, simple as that. Is this one of those situations? If I just need to look under a rug, descramble a code, or find the contents of a hollowed-out book to escape here then...

You're underestimating me.

Let's see here, there's a desk, chairs, bookshelves, paintings, a clock, potted plants, a rug, a trash can, the door, and a glass cage (It's a glass cube with a small hole on the bottom; It's on the wall by two metal grooves on each side of the bottom; It's near the ceiling and 0.1m on each side; It has a piece of paper in the center held up by the bottom by two similar metal poles inside). Which one of these will be red herrings I wonder? Anyways, if I want to escape,

"It has to be through the door."

Unless there is a secret window or vent hidden by the bookshelves or something, my victory is obtained by escaping out the door I came in. So, I figured out that I can get out of a room by using the door: big whoop. I go towards the standard door and twist the handle; It's locked, obviously. Then...!

*slam*

I kick the door with all my might and am repulsed just as vehemently. It was unnaturally repulsive and didn't even move an inch. Is this God's way of telling me not to break things? Well, now I understand that I need to find this door's key in order to escape since I don't have a paper clip or hairpin. I twist my hair slightly and sharpen my eyes. Clues...

The clock reads 2:24 with the second hand at 59 and has stopped working. The paintings around are all famous, well-known pieces but seemingly not related in themes. The top of the desk God was using prior has a square pattern design like it's trying too hard to look modern. The overall room is aesthetic; I observe the walls, floor, and tiled ceiling which have a polished feel and are smoothly done without inconsistency. I look over at the glass cage--this room's one inconsistency and process the information. Now, Kei Kadoya, think!

I go to the bookshelves first and examine. I scan the book covers, which are all blank, titleless, and gray in color. As I picked one up and shuffled through it, the contents shown were completely nonsensical. In some parts, there were walls of random symbols. In others, there were random word assortments and numbers. There were different languages and spacings too; The only things consistent were the page numbers. I browse through some other books to find the same results. I close my eyes for a moment, then put all the books back in order. I then grab a certain book from the bookshelf, just one. As I flip through the pages, I stop midway. Then, I crease one of the corners, close the book, and put it back in its place.

Next, I take a look at the behinds, bottoms, and arounds of every object in the room (paintings, rug, plants, trash can, chairs, etc). The desk and bookshelves were unmoveable due to the same supernatural force applied to protect the door. After looking, the only thing I could glean was a piece of paper behind a painting, Jean Dubuffet's "Soul of the Underground." It read,

"The mortals brought to this room have caught the attention of the immortal
incomprehensibility is bridged, and revolutionary meetings will erupt
you are lucky for this chance, even if Last 
but, if you wish for more and desire upon
that Is also mortal
from the Origin of the stars
you'll at least be heard."

What a cryptic message, not. I can assume it means that I'm lucky that God is interested in me, has given me this test, and plans to reincarnate me if I pass. It's just an assumption though.

"So, how's progress?"

"God, are you checking up on me?"

He appeared out of thin air just as he disappeared.

"Can't I?"

"Well, fine. I've pretty much found my way to escape. You should've made this a bit longer and more followable, God."

"?"

Let's lay this out.

"The only way for me to escape this room is with the key for that door."

I don't hear a response, so I'll just continue.

"Such a key doesn't immediately appear in the room, so, it must be hidden somewhere. But, where? The desk drawers, in between book pages, in painting frames? I doubt that you would make me sift through things for an hour as a test. Then, it must be somewhere even more hidden, perhaps a secret compartment that needs a code: something that can be found in the room. I had no idea where this could be, so I started gathering clues first to solve this supposed code."

"What did you find?"

"First, the clock. It reads 2:24 with the second hand at 59 and isn't working anymore. This number is significant. The only other thing that really deals with numbers in this room is the bookshelves. Also, when reading books, doesn't it feel like time stops? Anyways, on the 2nd bookshelf, the 24th book counting from left to right, on page 59 has something besides the random garble in the others."

I pull out the same certain book I pulled out earlier to the page with the creased end. The only content on the page was this, "A point is three-two."

God is watching me playfully.

"With this, it seems we're looking for coordinate points--coordinate points in the Cartesian coordinate system. The first is (3,2). But, where would we find where to use it? Well, the desk over there with the squared pattern fits perfectly doesn't it?"

"Interesting."

"So, now our goal is to find points for this plane. The 2nd one is right there."

I point to the glass cage.

"I can't throw books to knock it down since it's held in place by the metal grooves on the bottom. It seems the only way to get to it is to climb onto the desk and jump to try and reach it. Well, there is another way."

I said it confidently and this time, God made a complicated face.

"Hoh..."

"Just watch."

I tore out a piece of paper from the book and optimized maximum dexterity to make a paper plane. I aimed it at the glass cage: realize the fluid motion of the air, the force of my hand, the plane trajectory, and gravity (assuming no breeze and same gravitational force as Earth since I feel no discrepancies). Letting the plane go with the initial shot of my hand, it goes up through the bottom of the cage and knocks the paper off the wall's metal obstructions. Down it falls, into my hands. I undo the crumples and fold it wide open: (2,3) it reads. 

"Now, I know my theory of coordinates is correct and I have a 2nd point."

"That certainly was interesting, now the third point?"

"It's right here."

I hold up the note that was found behind Jean Dubuffet's work.

"The obvious thing I can glean from this would be taking only the capitalized words."

"The Last Is Origin."

"Yes, that means the last point must be (0,0), the origin."

"You really are quick on the uptake."

"Going back to the desk, if we assume (0,0) to be on the bottom left corner and mark each point, we get an isosceles triangle with points (0,0), (2,3), and (3,2). There may be more points, but I couldn't find anything else from what I've seen in the room."

"So, what now? You have a triangle, how does that help you find the key?"

"Doesn't this pattern on the desk, this coordinate plane look familiar? It's the same as the ceiling tiles; the same pattern and number of squares if we count squares as tiles. Now, if we look to the center of the triangle at point (5/3,5/3), we see the square/tile it's in: from the bottom left four tiles to the right and four up."

Aligning the plane and the ceiling, I find the same corresponding tile and throw a book at it. With a bump, it shifts up and clicks; soon after dropping a standard silvery key.

"Puzzle solved."

I go to the door and put the key, which fits snugly, in. But, before turning it, I ask,

"So, how was I, God?"

"You were quick, as I thought--you have potential. I have a few questions though. How were you able to figure out that the coordinate system started from the origin at the bottom left?"

"Well, if that weren't the case, it wouldn't match the number of tiles on the ceiling. If it were in the center, there'd be 4x as many tiles."

"Then, why did you know the center of the triangle you found would be what led you to the key?"

I took a pause, smiled, and answered,

"It's the theme of this entire room and situation, no, since coming here: though this might be a stretch. These trials are to test my worth as a human for God's task. Of course, everything will be tested, my everything to abandon everything and to become your 'apostle.' My mind, body, and spirit--what I keep. The mind is tested by the first point with the books, the knowledge gained from a deduction. The next is the body, it's that glass cage thing, right? I was supposed to jump from the desk and push the glass cage off which would allow me to grab the paper within and utilize the max reach of my body. It's also the only weird thing about this room, that which isn't hidden. Were you trying to tell me that it was as simple as it seemed and there were no tricks? Well, you were a bit peeved when I used the paper airplane and not the conventional way. Anyways, next is the spirit or soul. It's literally the title of the painting with the last point, and you could call art particularly of these qualities. So, these points representing it all, have the answer at the center--all of them combined to me. Also, I needed one tile from the ceiling for the key or so I thought; I needed to narrow it down somehow. The points I got were directly in between tiles so I couldn't try them. Well, I could've, but, I don't think you want me to spend time throwing books at very specific points on the ceiling."

"Haha! You're right about that! Now, one last question. How did you come up with that idea of the paper airplane and why didn't you just try jumping from the desk?"

"Jumping from the desk is dangerous and gripping glass by itself is difficult, I just saved myself the trouble. Anyways, when I creased the 59th page of the book, it might've just looked like saving a bookmark for the important page containing the clue. But, it was a test. Could I manipulate the paper? This room is not really meant to be manipulated or broken much, examples being the door or the immovability of larger objects. I can move books and presumably the glass cage though. So, what about paper? It's a flexible material that would be pretty weird if unable to be moved around freely. So, I did a little test to manipulate the paper in the form of a crease. If I could leave a lasting crease, then ripping it was also fairly possible. With that, I could create a paper airplane that could knock the paper off its place after taking out a page. Since I'm confident in my abilities it's a fairly simple task. I could've even spent my time making a long rod of thin paper to pick the lock. But, I decided to solve it in a way that would satisfy you."

God smiled.

"Magnificient! You completely pass this test. Let me inform you something, as a rightful reward. These tests are themed after the mind, body, and spirit yes. There are two more tests in [God's Trials], the body and the spirit, this was mind. What great deduction skills, it didn't even take you the time given to solve it. Well, we're just getting started. Now, open that door and go off to the trial of the body. I'll be expecting good results."

"Don't expect too much for someone who frequents heart attacks."

I turn the key and hear the mechanical click. Then, I pull the door open and step outside to my next trial.

22