V1C8 – Progress III
419 3 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Livia and Shin Kyuri are sitting next to each other at a desk with their eyes fixed to serious glares. They were interviewing potential servants to serve as Kei Kyuri's personal maid. They could be outsiders who hadn't even served the family before, they just wanted talent that could fulfill their role dutifully.

One applicant left the room gracefully.

"What'd you think?"

"I feel like she would spoil her..."

"That's coming from you, you know."

"Next."

"Hm, Lord Raizen recommends her for outstanding performance. I wonder what this is about--to be highly evaluated by such a person."

Shin's face cramped up upon hearing the name. Raizen was another influential noble, of similar status, that interacted often with the Kyuris.

"Hello."

The incoming maid said curtly while bowing and pulling up the edges of her clothes slightly.  

(Note: I imagine the maids as wearing victorian-like uniforms, you know, what you think of when you hear maid.)

"So, Tania Taru, is that right?"

"Yes, that's me."

"This is the thing interesting me the most, what's your connection with Lord Raizen?"

"I worked there for a few years. To be exact, 4 years."

She said no unnecessary words.

"Sorry but, how old are you?"

"17."

Doubt was plastered all over the couple's face.

"So, why do you want to be Kei's personal maid? Why not one of my other daughters?"

"I already assumed they had preferred servants; I'm also better in general at handling really young people. Though, I will adjust if need be. I was also attracted by the pay, obviously."

She said bluntly. They continued the interview, until finally reaching a decision.

"Alright, next."

*after all the interviews were done*

"We have several candidates."

"Hm, all right, we'll give the final decision to Kei herself. If she had to be around someone who made her feel uncomfortable, I wouldn't allow it." 

"Sounds good."


4.5 years have passed since the day I came here. Meaning, Akari is 14, Sora is 11, and Hoshiko is 9. I can speak normally with people, though I have to dumb down my speech to lower suspicion. I began daily exercising (mainly in my room), and while I did exercise before, I began putting serious efforts into my body. I should utilize potential no? Calisthenics, boxing workouts, jogging around, I do a variety of what I remember to be helpful. If I had a sword, I could practice my kendo.

Anyways, on information gathering, I've learned a bit about magic. It seems all living things excrete magic power, but this type of energy exists on an entirely different plane than our physical universe. It can still affect things in the physical universe though, which isn't very scientific. It can also be bent and shaped by things in the physical world: things like different materials or phenomena can be used as catalysts for people to utilize magic and create effects. For example, I could use wood in a wand to use magic or so I think.

In this case, [Contract] is an exception which I also got refreshed about. Anyways, since I was confirmed with magic affinity, I must be giving off a lot of magic or what they call magicules: magical particles. These magicules couldn't be felt initially because they don't even exist in my body, they're just held in space by the force of its existence if that makes sense. No one has taught me how to utilize magic yet though, I'll find out eventually.

I also learned a bit more about the Kyuri territory. It's not actually that big: just cramped in terms of population. We have reign over many towns, like the one we reside in. We have a private army, unsurprisingly, though I don't know how well they're trained. We have more political power than military power through our influence on the economy: specifically the market of natural materials. We could buy military power if we wanted. But, in an era of peace, we don't need it much.


"Good luck with the [Euvanistu Academy], Akari-neechan."

"Thank you, everyone. I'll be fine. I need to work super hard so that I can support the family!"

Akari blinds me with pure heartedness, well, that isn't the worst. [Euvanistu Academy] -- rigorous, prestigious, and elite; It's strictly a meritocracy despite your background, debatably. It's the best school in the kingdom, far better than any alternatives and located in the royal capital which is a bit far from our territory but only a bit. It's everyone's dream school, but the application process and survival process are hellish. Akari Kyuri was admitted to it.

"Wait, Akari-neechan!"

Sora stopped her and pulled out a necklace she made. It was shiny silver with the main part being a small semicircle. Within that semicircle were tiny engraved dashes and numbers:  It was a ridiculously small protractor. She also showed her the back which had a ton of useful constants. Giving it to her,

"Thanks, Sora!"

"N-No problem!"

After receiving one great hug, Akari made her way into the carriage that would transport her to [Euvanistu Academy] where she would spend the next ~4 years. To think we all have to do that someday...


"Kei, can you promise dad something?"

"What is it?"

"Tomorrow, when the maid known as Tania Taru introduces herself, I want you to be friendly."

"Huh? Alright, if you want me to."

Something is fishy.


The last introduced servant to me appeared.

"Hello, Kei-sama! I'm applying to be your personal maid, Tania Taru!"

I wouldn't know this, but she acted completely differently in front of me than my parents.

"Hi, Tania. What will you do as a personal maid?"

"Well, take care of you of course. I'll always be there, to change your clothes, to help you to bed, to tutor you, anything~"

That sounds annoying. But, dad probably has a reason for making me put on my best face.

"That sounds nice."

He told me to be friendly, not to actively endorse her as my maid. We chatted a bit after that, I made sure to perk up my expressions in a natural way.

"Oh? She acted a bit differently with you than the others. Is it decided then?"

"Guess so."

Well, the result is the same. So, this person will be my maid, huh. She's young and attractive. She has a dark ponytail and horn-rimmed glasses along with naturally imposing curves and fair unblemished skin. Her eyes, the color of deep space's darkness. Why did my dad want this to happen?

"Then, let's make a [Contract]."

"[Contract]?"

"From here on out, you will be Kei's personal maid. Here is the standard set [Contract] for personal servants that we use. Of course, its fulfillment is required along with additional duties for your job. Without further ado, here it is: Unless the [Contract] is annulled by either party, which must be done 7 days in advance with justifiable reason, Tania Taru will protect Kei Kyuri with her life. She will fulfill Kei Kyuri's orders to the best of her ability unless they lead to crimes."

It's pretty bare-bones, isn't it? The additional duties probably include a lot more.

"So, do you agree upon the conditions?"

"Yes, I do."

"How about you Kei?"

I put on a confident mask.

"I would like to add a condition!"

I can't miss this chance.

"Oya? Where did you learn that word? Well, let's hear your condition."

"I have only one, you won't be able to lie to me. You must tell me the whole truth if I ask you."

"Kei, that's a little..."

"I won't change my mind."

"It's alright Livia-sama and Shin-sama. I don't mind. If this will allow me to become Kei's personal maid, I will gladly comply."

"Then, we leave it to you. Your job starts today, don't disappoint us now."

"Yes!"


"Hoshiko-neechan, what are you doing?"

"Reading."

"What are you reading?"

"It's called [Aria of the Blood Sea]. It's a historical fiction mystery novel about a murder that took place on a ship that strayed off during battle."

Mystery novels huh, that's nice.

"Sora-neechan, what are you doing?"

"You see this, Kei? I wonder why the current isn't flowing."

"Maybe your battery is backward?"

"Huh? You're right, Kei! Thanks! Let's see, this voltage goes there and..."


An angel descends.

"I'm back."

She appeared from above my bed again.

"Geh, Luciel."

"Those are your first ever words to me? Meanie~"

"So? You have anything you want to say?"

"Remember the question I told you last time?"

"That was years ago, refresh me."

"Why did you anger God at that time when you knew it would be a detriment to your relationship with someone like him down the line? I believe it was that."

"My answer to that is this: I wanted to send a message. I am not just a pawn that you can use. I don't like being used, isn't that obvious?"

"I see, well, God has already broken the effects of that [Contract]. So, I came down here per his orders to make a new one. You'll be used anyway."

"I don't see the merit in making a [Contract] with you."

"If you don't, I'll kill you and your entire family right here and now."

"..."

"Good. Let's see, the conditions are you following God's or my orders. But, here is the good part for you, you can do so at your own discretion. But, if I find your decisions to be unsatisfactory, you'll be disposed of. Is that clear to understand?"

"Cornering me into accepting this, not bad."

"So, you accept. Well, that's it for now. See you, Kei."

"This sucks. Well, it might make life a bit more interesting."

17