V1C10 – Devising
375 6 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(POV switches back to Kei)

"Wake up~ It's morning, Kei-sama."

"Uuuh..."

Upon hearing that glimmering voice, I get up, stretch, and shuffle to the mirror. My hair is disheveled and my eyes still droop. I look at Tania and regain my senses. She begins to smoothen and brush back my black hair (which has grown in length). Then, I thought; I should probably update you on everything.

I am now 6 years old and my private classes have kicked into full throttle. The intricacies of noble society, the surprising logic of magic, and a new style of the blade were all presented to me (Arida-sensei's swordsmanship class and Iris-sensei's magic class are especially hard).

It's also been ~2 years since Tania became my personal maid. In that time, my understanding of her got a bit better. She's fond of younger people in general, and she goes to great lengths to protect herself. The second part of that is a deduction though, it might be wrong. How did I deduce this? Well, for one, she hasn't opened up to me at all. If I didn't ask her to tell me the whole truth if I asked, there might've been no exchange of meaningful information between us which would have been bad. Well, just because she hasn't opened up to me doesn't mean she is excessively protective, that assumption is just a hunch I have.

I hear a series of mixed noises from outside my room, Sora-neechan being at the center.

"I-Is Kei awake yet!?"

"What is the meaning of this Sora-sama?"

"I need to see her!"

"Just wait a moment."

*knock knock*

"You may enter," said Tania.

Sora's personal maid, a short-haired brunette around the same age as Tania, named Saria lightly opened the door and entered with a whirlwind Sora in toe. She locked me onto her radar and rushed to me.

"Wait, Sora-sama! Jeez..."

Saria must have it hard.

"Kei, Kei! Come with me!"

Tania had just about finished doing my hair, but, I'd still like to wash my face and put on some more fitting clothes before that. But, Sora is raring to go now.

"Oh, alright."

Let's see what she's up to. She wore a pure white lab coat paired with lightly messy hair, she got into the habit of wearing them a while ago. She seems to be fond of them.

I told Tania to stand by, as Sora did to Saria, and left. They were reluctant, but, Sora's perseverance won in the end.


We arrived.

"So, why did you take me to the roof?"

"This is the best point for a scan."

"Scan?"

"Hold out your hand, I need magicules for this to work and Hoshiko won't help me."

"Alright, I got it."

I grabbed Sora's small squishy hand with my firm one. Instantly, she began to concentrate it into what she held in her other hand. Most people can't control other people's magicules, especially just by touching them, but my sister is special in that respect. 

"What is that your holding?"

It was connected by wires to a laptop and seemed to be a bar of oddly carved metal.

"I spent months on this, it converts my exact magicule input into numerical values for the computer to read and construct. From there, a 3D modeled image will be represented on the special program I coded."

"Is that so?"

It seems she plans to use magic to search and get a detailed scan of the area. This would then be transmitted through that metal instrument and be represented on the laptop screen for further documentation and insight as a model. That takes both an absurd amount of skill and amount of magicules though.

Well, if it works, then it ought to be a revolutionary bit of equipment for all kinds of things. She might strike it big if she marketed it. But, I was skeptical of it working in the first place. This is because magic input in this case is influenced heavily by your image and emotion: which are by no means constant things. It might mess up if there is one disruption in the scan because of your concentration slipping. Furthermore, to convert them to a readable form by a computer in real-time would put significant strain on related processors. I don't think this world's current level can quite handle it. Well, let's just see it, the fruits of Sora's efforts.


"..."

Are you serious?

"It worked! It really worked, Kei!"

Wow. Sora is a genius.

"Haha, congratulations Sora-neechan."

She excitedly strolled around the modeled version of our mansion on the computer. It was clean and without visual glitches.

"It's all thanks to you, Kei!"

She hugged me tightly; I made sure to return it.

"I didn't do much but help with magic."

"Without magic, I wouldn't have been able to test it. Thank you."

She smiled brightly.

"You're welcome. Well, if that's all you wanted, I'll go back into the house now. It's cold out here."

"Ok!"

Sora-neechan happily played with the digitized house elements while I left. This technology, she called it [MACOS]: Magically-Aided Computer Optical Scan. Ha.


Afterward, while reading a book,

"KEI!"

"Eh? What is it, Sora-neechan."

"I found something amazing on [MACOS]! There's a hidden area in the basement!"

What?

"Oh, so you found something that you normally couldn't with a magic scan. I see, did you want to check it out?"

"Of course!"

Her curiosity is boundless.

"Hoshiko-neechan, do you want to come too?"

 "I'll pass."

Sora pleaded with stressed vowels," Please!"

"Too tired."

I pleaded," We won't bother you for a week after this ok?"

"Fine, if I must."

This lazy sack.

"Yay!"

We shooed the servants away to make way for our adventure.


We walked down the cold stone steps to the basement. The air changed significantly as soon as we did. It was like we were plunged into a horror movie all of a sudden. Defying the atmosphere and reaching a certain location,

"This is my workshop!" proclaimed Sora-neechan.

On the surface level of this cellar, was Sora-neechan's workshop. We took a gander; There were power tools, strips of wood/metal, and small pieces laid about. This has to violate every safety precaution ever.

"That over there is the magically powered bandsaw that I can barely operate, it gave me quite some trouble. I almost cut my finger cut off one-time ehe~"

Ehe? I begin to get fed up after inhaling the ambient wood particles but I smile my way through. I look in the corner to see a singular PC whose surrounded by energy drinks; I'll look away for now.

"Let's look for what we came for, shall we Sora-neechan? See, Hoshiko-neechan's already getting bored."

"I see, you're right."

We ended our workshop tour there.


We continued onward and walked down further. The shadows grew larger in spite of the electric lights. The air grew stale and our nerves began sharpening.

"Sora-neechan, you're sure it's here?"

"Sure am."

Despite the change in mood, none of us showed fear.

*step step step*

We single-mindedly moved forward following Sora-neechan. Our long black hairs (it was more medium length for Sora-neechan) engulfed the darkness completely. We then stopped where the lights did. Sora-neechan pulled out her own flashlight.

"We've made it."

"Where exactly did we make it to? You never said."

"Our house's secret underground prison of course!"

"..."

"Why would you want to see that!?"

"Oi."

We went quiet. The one who said that wasn't one of us. We look around the corner to see, behind bars, a rotting man with his back to the wall. He spoke again,

"You're Shin Kyuri's daughters aren'tcha."

"Y-yes, you are?"

He laughed creepily. Then, he asked a seemingly random question. 

"Do you think of your dad as a good person?"

""Yes.""

We spoke instant responses.

"Ahaha! Then, care to listen to my story? It won't take long."

Regardless of our will, he continued.

"I was a fair merchant, always abiding by the law. Making enough to get by and provide for my family, was my everyday. But, that all changed when I entered the Kyuri territory."

"..."

"I came looking for opportunities of wealth, but, I was forcefully taken upon entry suddenly by the army. Next thing you know, I find myself face to face with the man himself, that revered lord. Then, I got shoved here."

"..."

"Why would he go out of his way to personally lock away someone like me, even though I pleaded my innocence over and over with tears in my eyes? I know the reason. He wanted me to suffer, that sadistic sicko. Come to think of it, the only one who could mobilize the army in the city like that is him. Anyways, I haven't seen my family since nor had a decent rest or meal. I'm dying for a shower. So, anyway, do you still think of your father as a good person now? He takes innocent people and messes with them, that kind of freak?"

"I still do. If what you're saying is true, then there must be a reason why he wanted you detained. You must have committed some sort of heinous crime."

"Haha, I don't have it in me."

"This was pointless, I'm going back upstairs."

With that, Hoshiko-neechan left to go back upstairs. Sora-neechan was looking a bit frightened at the sight of the foul man.

"How long have you been here?"

"A few months I think? My sense of time is messed up without the sun."

Dad, did you do this? Seemingly losing interest in us, he sighed and reclined further.

"So, what're your names?"

"Kei."

"Sora."

"Heh, now, you young ladies run along. You shouldn't be here. I have nothing else to say."

Quickly taking the advice, Sora left hurriedly like a mouse. I stayed behind a minute longer.

"What is it ojou-chan? You that interested in me?"

"Let's make a deal."

"What are you on about?"

"If--let me emphasize that if I am able to free you from here, would you owe me a favor?"

"Now that's interesting there. What can someone like you do?"

"You can see your family again. Imagine it, your wife's compassionate welcome, your children's returning smiles."

"..."

"Well?"

"So, what?"

"Don't you want to get out of here?"

"What if I end up killing your dad?"

"Now, that would be problematic. But, he has an army on his side, I'm not too concerned."

"You're a creepy kid."

"So, your decision? If I help you escape one day, would you owe me a favor?"

"Sure, if it works that is. I don't see benefits for you, my favors are worth nothing."

"That's not true. There are a lot of things I can see after all. So, is that a [Contract]?"

"Oh? You're going that official? Then, it's a [Contract]."

"If I help you get out of here one day, you will owe me a favor, remember that."

"Roger."

I leave him and follow the tracks behind Sora-neechan. 

*arrives back upstairs*

"Oh, you're back, Kei."

"Yeah. Oh, by the way, here's the book you wanted Hoshiko-neechan. It's your reward."

Even though I don't think you deserve one.

"Thanks."

She said it quickly and gave me a light hug squeeze.


One day, in the Kyuri household...

"We have a visitor today."

"A visitor?"

"Yes, it's Lord Raizen."

So, I finally get to meet him. I've heard about him many times, one time was in my classes. Dad looks at me trying to contemplate my face.

"He has a girl your age, Kei. Get along with her."

Though I hate when parents do that, I will.

*later that day*

"Hello, Raizen-san."

"Ah, good to see you, Kyuri-san."

Dad's eyes dart about.

"Come in."

"I will do so."

Pushing off those choppy interactions, he entered our estate followed by a few servants in toe.

Lord Raizen was even taller and musclier than my dad. He had blonde hair and emerald eyes, being around the same age. He actually gave off a noble air, unlike my dad who was like a cheerful store clerk. His status as a noble is similar to ours, as well as his managed regions.

"Would you like to have dinner with us?"

"Let's just get to business. I'll leave soon after."

Depressedly, dad replied," Alright, I got it. Let's head up to my office. Kei, play with Erika-chan okay?"

Hiding behind Raizen's legs was a singular girl with the same hair and eye color, she clung tightly. So, that's Erika Raizen. 

"Now, go Erika. I have something important to talk about."

She was forced to release and the two men escalated the stairs.

 "..."

Now, I'm left alone with her huh. Well, I should be able to get along with her, right?

"So, you're name is Erika? Can I call you Erika-chan?"

She lightly nodded.

"Ok, Erika-chan! What do you want to do? Rather what do you like to do?"

"Um, I like reading books."

Let's go!

"Alright then, let's head up to my father's office and--wait never mind."

I have been reading the books in my father's study often now, it was a spot I frequented for literary dosage. I have expanded my knowledge on a lot of relevant things like geography, politics, and the history of Arcana. Bringing it back and trying to regain my footing,

"So, what books do you like?"

"W-Well, I like...erm...there's this one. I don't know if you've heard of it, it's called [Blood on the East Horizon]."

Oh, I read that one from Hoshiko-neechan's collection. It's about a war of the Eastern powers. The protagonist is tested and betrayed, blood is spilled in tragedy. It's really graphic.

"I've read it before, what do you like about it?"

"R-Really!? Oh, I really like it when the main character found out his father was a traitor for the enemies! The way the author handled it was perfect, and also, the dynamic between the protagonist and--"

She unloaded a lot as if she were dying to tell someone. We chatted for a few hours, talking about this book and that. I got a lot of things added to my reading list. Time flew swiftly by. 

"T-Thanks, Kei-chan! I really enjoyed today!"

"Your welcome. Well, I also enjoyed my time."

I honestly did.

"Erika, it's time to leave."

"Okay, can we come back sometime?"

Raizen glanced at my dad. 

"Sure. We can come whenever you like."

"Yay!"

Her eyes glittered and she blushed slightly.

"See you later, Kei!"

"Bye bye~"

Common interests have such power, I should extend my reaches...


After shuffling through some resumes, pretending to look for a book.

"Hey, dad."

"What is it, Kei?"

"Do you have any other family?"

"Well, I do, a sister. Why?"

"Do you know where she lives now?"

"Um, Kei, can you tell me why you're asking this?"

"I'm just curious."

I stuck out a mischievous expression. His own relaxed.

"Well, that was all. Thanks."

Now, I know why.

16