Chapter IV.8 – Gathering Key Items
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Doctor was already gone, when Joseph thought that he noticed a weird fog near the table. He squinted his eyes, trying to discern it in the darkness.

 

The fog was getting thicker, morphing into something familiar. Something that had two arms, two legs and a round head with long white hair.

 

Something with abyssal black eyes.

 

This… thing was dressed in a simple tea gown and sandals without any additional decorations. It looked around, before fixing it’s terrifyingly empty gaze on Joe.

 

Who are you?”

 

Echo-y voice of a young woman rang out within the room.

 

“I-I-me?!”

 

Who are you?!!” Woman roared, picking up a pencil and throwing it right at him. “Begone!!!

 

She grabbed the stool near the bed, which Joseph narrowly dodged, by falling out of the room, bum first. He quickly pushed himself off with all of his limbs, jumped up, and ran as far as he could, before coming to a full stop after bumping into doctor’s back.

 

“Joe, what in the void were you still doing there?”

 

“A ghost…” Pat was confused by Joseph’s pale mortified expression. “I saw the ghost! In the room! Ghost!”

 

Doctor rubbed the bridge of his nose.

 

“Ghost? You sure? I wouldn’t be surprised, but there are things that look just as transparent.”

 

Joseph inhaled and exhaled several times, coming back to his senses.

 

“It was a foggy figure of a young woman…” He recalled. “She was standing near the table, where body with the journal was. Completely black eyes, slightly floating, but still touching the floor. She threw a couple of things at me.”

 

“Did she say anything?”

 

“She asked who I was, and then screamed at me - 'Begone!'”.

 

Pat scratched the back of his head.

 

“Sounds more like Wraith. They are usually more aggressive. Well, it was nice knowing you, Joseph. At the very least, I won’t die alone.”

 

Joseph’s eyes widened.

 

“What do you even mean?!”

 

“We have nothing against a Wraith. No normal weapon can harm it, no lead bullet can injure it. One have to be either a Mage, or have a Weaved Item to deal with it. There is a third method, but it involves searching every nook and cranny of this accursed mansion, and even then it is not guaranteed. The best we can do is to avoid the room and hope that she can’t get out of it.”

 

“Oh, I am very much capable of such a grand feat. Frankly speaking, your presence here is unpleasant, but I am willing to tolerate it, if you would explain who you are and what is your business here.”

 

Pat was staring at something behind Joseph, and after hearing the familiar voice (in a calm tone this time) behind his own back, he very much considering to simply run the hell away, without looking behind. But it seemed like Wraith was, while still somewhat furious, much more willing to cooperate.

 

So he collected whatever courage he had and turned around.

 

Doctor inspected their new unexpected company.

 

“I take it back. This one seems more reasonable than any Wraith would be. You were right, Joseph - it is indeed a Ghost.”

 

The Ghost was waiting for an answer, tapping her foot. She crossed her arms on the chest.

 

“Well, gentlemen? If I could even call you that, of course, given your appearance of countryside bumpkins who stumbled into Capital on accident. I need some answers, and I need them yesterday.”

 

“Maybe not so reasonable after all…”

 

Joe pushed mumbling doctor with his elbow.

 

“Do excuse my companion, lady. My name is Joseph, and his is Pat, the ship doctor. Tearing forced as to dock here, and cursed forest blocked our way back when we discovered this place.”

 

Ghost raised her eyebrows.

 

“Sounds like a story nanny would tell to an immature kid… but I feel no lie from you. Very well, I shall introduce myself as well. My name is Edna Fox, daughter of a merchant, wife of Alexander Wolkur, esteemed Noble of House Wolkur. I see you want to ask some questions, and I shall answer them in time, but as the owner of the house, it is my privilege to ask first. Then, gentlemen - what have you seen before stepping your foot onto the territory of my property? Of course, I don’t mean the island itself - which is also my property - only the estate.”

 

Joseph, wisely skipping a part about being a member of the pirate crew, told an abridged version of their adventure.

 

Lady Edna was listening intently, before he reached the part with a ripped apart man in front of the house.

 

“Torn in half? I have seen no animal on this island capable of such savagery. The forest was filled with all manner of life back then, but not a single one was brave enough to reach the grounds we were building on. And a black forest? This is even more worrying then I thought it could be.”

 

“Speaking of animals…” Pat threw a fearful glance at Joe. “Irfan is still out there, and we haven’t heard of him since. Joe, you are way more capable than me - you should run to the shack, check what happened and come back post-haste.”

 

“Alright, you stay with the lady. Sorry, Lady Fox, we have a friend to rescue.”

 

Not listening to any objections, he sprinted down the stairs.

 

Irfan, just hold on! I’ll be there!

 

*****

 

Or so he thought.

 

It was almost a full night. Sun was already gone, but a few red rays were sneaking a peak from the horizon. Clouds were still there, but the sky was finally clear enough to be something more than endless sea of gray. Joseph was approaching the shack, rifle ready. His steps were slow, his attention was on high alert. He was listening intently to any sound, hoping that lifeless nature of the island would help him recognize a danger before it’s too late.

 

Hunter was nowhere to be seen. No signs of his presence either, like he disappeared from the face of the earth.

 

Joseph stopped, when he thought he was hearing some creaking sounds. But serene silence and wind were his only answer. He continued forward, reaching his hand for the door.

 

Something roared above him.

 

He barely noticed a huge shadow flying above him, hearing the sound of a heavy body landing onto the stone behind. He dashed forward, into the gap between the door and the frame, when a powerful force caused the door to crash into him so hard, it send him flying into a wall.

 

He didn’t lose consciousness, but his face and back felt like they were burning. He hit a shelf on the way, he guessed, as he only felt the pain across the line on the forehead- the rest of his face was safe. It was also wet. Joe could not see a single thing in the darkness. He tried to stand up, when a pair of strong hands grabbed him from behind, dragged into a corner and forced him to shut his mouth.

 

“Sh-h-h-h!”

 

It was a hell of a relief to hear the familiar voice. Joe stopped struggling.

 

The entire structure was shaking, dust was falling from the ceiling on his face. Something very heavy has jumped right on the roof. Joseph didn’t hear it’s steps, but the sounds of stone pieces falling down were a good indication that whatever that thing was, it wasn't going to leave.

 

Irfan let Joe go a long time ago, but he didn’t dare to move.

 

The thing jumped to the ground right outside the door. He heard a low growl.

 

They stayed there for several minutes, not moving. Irfan slowly, inch-by-inch, moved to the entrance and pulled down a lever.

 

Shack began to fill up with light.

 

Hunter put his ear to the thin gap between the door and the frame.

 

“I don’t hear anything… But that could mean a lot of things. Be on your guard.”

 

“What was that, even?”

 

Irfan frowned.

 

“This beast is called Archrhyder… I have met it once. Barely escaped with my life.”

 

He went silent for a moment.

 

“Joe, listen closely and don’t forget. This beast has a natural armor. If you want to defeat it, hit it in the gaps between plates. Neck and joints on limbs are best places. If you see it slowly encircling, do not stand still. It prepares to teleport.”

 

Joseph has seen the Ghost today, but that still stunned him.

 

“It does what?!”

 

“Teleport. It can’t do it on instinct, only after preparation, so if you see it going for it, distract it or run. And one last thing. Archrhyder hates fire and is afraid of it. You can scare him off, but never turn your back to it after that, you hear me? Never.”

 

Joseph repeated the points Irfan said. Hunter nodded.

 

“Good. Now, let’s search this place and get out. If we can.”

 

The storage shack was full of details, tools and various machine parts. Joseph noticed a spare engine without crystals in the corner. The place had a faint smell of something between alcohol and gasoline.

 

No mistaking it. It was definitely where mechanics were keeping their tools for the car maintenance.

 

Joe found a metal canister, full of oil. He also found a huge metal device, with a handle and trigger on top. The decide had a small tank in the middle, with a cap on top of it. The hose was connected to the barrel of the device.

 

He opened the tank.

 

“Looks like water.” He turned it on the side and tried to touch the liquid. “Yep, definitely water.”

 

He left it behind, as it was too heavy to just casually carry around. Between small crates with gears, bolts and other details that Joe had no clue about, he reached a shelf with a huge metal box on top of it.

 

“Irfan, how about this?”

 

Arid wordlessly grabbed it and put down on the floor. Joseph pulled a lid up.

 

“Seems like we still have some luck left, after all.”

 

That’s one problem solved. The box was full of spare cranks.

 

Second quest item get. Now what?

 

“Mate, are we clear?”

 

Hunter silently stepped to the door. He waited for a moment, then opened it and pointed his rifle outside. Then he walked out himself.

 

“The beast left. We have to hurry.”

 

Joseph didn’t need to be told twice. He got three cranks and left the shack with Irfan.

 

*****

 

They made it back without any issues. The night has almost took a lead, as the sky was covered in stars. Together with waning crescent moon in tow (red in color - just as the sun itself) they were guiding the way. Joe and Irfan decided to skip the white building and prepare for an upcoming night instead.

 

Mansion greeted them with its familiar cold and stoic ambient. Their steps were traveling through the hollow building, with the echo as the only companion.

 

They finally made it to the third floor. On the way, Joseph told Irfan about the Ghost of Lady Fox. Hunter was shocked at first, but then composed himself.

 

“The Ghosts… never in my life I seen one. They were only stories in my village.”

 

“She is the nice lady, if a bit sharp on a tongue. By the way, I don’t know where they could be. Let’s check the library first.”

 

Irfan had no objections. Joseph pushed the door into the library.

 

“...I see. While we are risking our necks and looking for the ways out, you are drinking with the noble lady. Classy, doc. Real classy.”

 

Pat was confused at first, then his face exploded into shining grin. He cheered with a glass cup.

 

“My heroes have returned! Sorry, Joseph, this wine is just too good. Not everyday you get stuff from Capital itself that costs just as much as my two year salary.”

 

“I assure you it’s more than that. Wolkur has the best beverages the Empire has to offer.” Lady Edna was also quite relaxed, sitting in a glass chair with her legs on a table. Quite unfitting behaviour there, Lady. “You look quite exhausted. Did you find what you needed?”

 

Joe wordlessly put cranks on the glass table.

 

“Brilliant! Well done, lads. I assume it went smoothly?”

 

“No. We had an encounter with the beast. Joseph, you better tell him, I am not good with stories.”

 

Joe would beg to differ, as their second meeting on the ship demonstrated - Irfan was very much capable of telling a story. Maybe not with an eloquence of a poet, but with simple wording and to the point, it wouldn't be an issue for him.

 

But he could do it too, so he did what was asked. Lady Fox and Pat had a concerned look on their faces throughout.

0