Chapter IV.15 – Will
25 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      As fun as the ride was, it was also extremely painful. His left hand felt like it was about to be torn off at any moment, his legs were covered with scratches all over. The dry ground was slowly peeling off bits of his skin. He could barely keep his second hand on the belt.

  He hasn’t smashed into any tree just yet. Seems like the beast only wanted to get him away from his companions and deal with him alone.

  Wincing, Joe moved his right hand to his side. His fingers found the hilt of the knife.

  The gift.

  He pulled it out. He raised his head as much as he could.

  He saw the gap between the body and the head.

  Just this once… Ralf… I owe you!

 

  He roared. He twisted his body with all the strength he could muster. He threw his right hand into the gap.

  He got it.

 

  The beast screamed, letting him go. Joe caught the hilt with the second hand, still riding along. He felt a warm blood streaming down his hands.

  Archrhyder jerked to the side, kicking Joe off with its leg. He crashed into a thick tree at full speed.

  The armor on the back prevented his demise.

  The beast, screaming and thrashing around from unimaginable pain, disappeared into the woods. Joseph stood up, leaning on the tree. Both pieces of stolen armor have saved him from the worst, once again, and once again he was somewhat disoriented and barely standing.

  But this time, he recovered way quicker. He stood there for several minutes, catching his breath. Then Joe removed his mask and followed the giant footprints and stains of blood. While still holding the bloodied knife out. He looked at it and cleaned it with his trousers, before continuing on.

 

  The first born rays of sunlight were peeking from behind the sea of ashen trees. Not a single shade dared to step on his way.

  As he was following the tracks, the footprints were appearing closer and closer to each other. The blood stains on the ground were becoming bigger and darker.

  He had to be close. Joseph picked up the pace.

  The trees in his way stepped aside. He was now standing on top of an excavated slope.

 

  He saw a wide river ahead, with the shore on his side being made out of concrete.

  He saw white trees with blue leaves all the way on the other side, illuminated by the red light of the rising sun. The untouched forest was standing tall on the cliff above, covering its half of the river with its shadow.

  He saw happily swimming fish in the water.

  And finally, he saw the beast.

 

  The Archrhyder was lying on it’s side near the concrete wall.

  Joe slid down the slope and approached it. It’s breath was quiet and slow. It’s eyes were strangely serene.

  When the beast saw Joseph, it's gaze flared up and it tried to roar, but only weak sounds were coming out.

  Joe looked at the river, the fish and the other side. The concrete wall had scratch marks on it. He raised his head and saw the black forest above him.

  His mind went back to the square and suspiciously small amount of piles on it.

  He realised something that should’ve been obvious from the very beginning.

  Joe scratched Archrhyder’s ears. Beast made no attempt to move, only closed it’s eyes.

 

  “Your island was invaded by pesky humans. They brought guns, steel and flames into your land. They blocked off your river, forced you to remain on this side. The once beautiful forest you loved, one that was full of prey and color, now lies in ruins, poisoned forever by the alien gas. Fish was your only food, but there just wasn’t enough. The hunting grounds were dead, and full of abominable shades. You had no choice. You had to protect your land. You had to protect yourself.”

 

  Archrhyder’s ears were moving, listening to him.

 

  “You did well. Rest easy now, king of the forest.”

 

  As Joseph was done with his final words, the beast was no longer breathing.

  He knelt on one leg, and put his right hand on once mighty and terrifying Predator. Not as a winner, but as a honorable opponent in the duel.

  The morning star enveloped the Archrhyder with the red aureole, sending its otherworldly prayer for the last defender of the black island.

 

*****

 

  They found him in this exact pose.

 

  “Son-of-a-hoe, you are alive! How?! You lucky bastard, how did you do it?!”

 

  Both of them slid down the same way Joe did. Irfan came closer to the fallen beast, and copied Joseph’s gesture.

 

  “Sleep well in the Sunquilous, warrior.”

 

  “Sunquilous?”

 

  “The Plane of the Deity of Nature." Pat answered from behind. "And something else, but most people remember It for Nature aspect only. Including me.”

 

  “Paradise for predators, huh? Well, it- he deserves it.”

 

  Pat chuckled.

 

  “How do you know it wasn’t a she? Archrhyders are rare creatures, barely researched.”

 

  Irfan shook his head.

 

  “Doesn’t matter. The Beast was a soldier to the end. We should treat it like one.”

 

  Joe and Irfan stood up. Pat was inspecting the plates.

 

  “I am no biologist, but I have never seen such mutations before… It’s sturdy, it has the built-in force disperser. It is almost a perfect example of a naturally crafted ideal protection.”

 

  “Didn’t help it much against flames.”

 

  “Any armor has flaws, Joseph. This one has some gaps too. Like the one you used to kill it. How did you even manage?”

 

  Joseph pointed at Ralf’s knife.

 

  “The beast grabbed my left hand. Armor saved me, while I reached for this knife and hit it’s neck with it.”

 

  Irfan nodded. His eyes expressed a lot of respect.

 

  “Quite a feat. How are you holding up?”

 

  Joe cracked his neck and shoulders.

 

  “Very refreshed.”

 

  Both of his companions glanced at the river and the forest on the other side. Irfan sat near the blue water, gazing into his reflection.

 

  “This Jack guy… He was clever. But only by half. Why not build a wall around a mine instead?”

 

  “That’s a very good question…" Doctor carressed his chin. "I feel like if we read the journal thoroughly, we will get some more answers. But as of right now… we did promise to deliver the Archrhyder to Lady, didn’t we?”

 

  They certainly did. But that didn’t sit well with both Irfan and Joe.

 

  “I don’t think we should. The Beast fought valiantly for it’s home. We should give it a proper burial.”

 

  “And not keep our word?! We can bury it later, if you want, since it’s dead anyway!”

 

  “I do not want it to become a toy for a rich girl. Even if said girl is dead.”

 

  The sparks were flying between them, hotter then the flames on the square. Neither would agree to compromise.

 

  They turned over to Joseph as the only uninvolved negotiator.

 

  “You killed it, you solve this problem!”

 

  “Your kill, your trophy. You decide, Joe.”

 

  Joseph threw his hands up, trying to stop both.

 

  But if he was to be honest with himself, he had no idea what to do. Both of them had reasonable suggestions.

  He moved his gaze to the Archrhyder. How nice it would be, it they could take him with them alive…

  Joseph shuddered, because the idea that just came into his head was so grotesque, that he couldn’t even justify it to himself. Yes, the benefits might be worth it, and it might even look awesome on him, but… but…

  But…

  He looked at Pat and Irfan, who were still waiting for his answer.

 

  “We take him with us on the ship after we show it to Lady Edna.”

 

  He received four shocked eyes as a response.

 

  “Wait, are you serious? You want to carry it- him all the way to the ship?!”

 

  “Yes, and… I want something from it.”

 

  Irfan was staring at him, eyes wide. But then the hunter blinked, scratched his head, and nodded.

 

  “I see what you want to do. It is indeed a useful trophy. It will become even more useful indeed, and you get to keep him with you. Was it your intention?”

 

  Joe nodded in confirmation, but was still avoiding their gazes.

 

  “I have no objections.” Hunter raised his hand.

 

  Pat was shooting his eyes between the two.

 

  “Wha-?! What are you thinking?! You keep secrets from me again, Joe?!”

 

  “No life danger now, doc, no reason for me to share. Besides, we will fulfill our word, which means no problem there, right?”

 

  Doctor threw his hands up.

 

  “Fine. Whatever! Do what you want. I will help you this time, sure, but if you cut me out next time…”

 

  “I’ll meet you on the ship doc, after all of this is over.”

 

  Pat nodded, calming down.

  Now, for the best part… Or the worst.

  They moved over to the Archrhyder. Joseph was still very hesitant about his own plan. He didn’t want to desecrate the remains of the proud beast, but the reward… the reward!…

  I am so sorry! I am very, very sorry! Please, do forgive me in your next life, I beg of you…

  Three of them put their hands on the body.

 

  “One, two, three!…”

 

*****

 

  “This thing… is… way… too… heavy!”

 

  “Just… keep… pushing!”

 

  “Grrrrrr!”

 

  Joseph should have known better. The entire brick structure was threatening to collapse under this thing, what did he expect?

  They managed to push it half a kilometer at best, and only thanks to Irfan, who was strong enough to pull this stupidly heavy body up with both Joe and Pat helping. He had to get a rope out of his backpack for that, but now, at least they got it moving at reasonable pace. Reasonable, comparing to a crawl.

 

  “We should have used car for this…”

 

  “You think?… Should… I get it?!”

 

  “If… you… want… this is… a forest…”

 

  The hunter was sweating as well, but contrasting them both, he looked borderline relaxed.

  Finally, they got on the more-or-less even ground. The exploitation of human labour went by much quicker.

  After roughly an hour and three quarters of pushing their weight, they saw familiar sights.

  The trio fell down on the ground near good old brick shack, that became de facto their fifth member of the team by now, completely out of breath. Joseph pulled out the flask of water, his companions did the same.

 

  “So… does any of you schmucks have any idea how to get it up into the back of the truck?…”

 

  'Schmucks' shook their heads.

 

  “I mean…" Joe still couldn't calm his breath down. "We have a rope… metallic wire in the warehouse… do we have any weight mechanisms?…”

 

  Nobody had anything to say.

 

  “Alright then… the cargo part looks low enough… we could try to lift the head, and then the rest…”

 

  They nodded, completely disinterested. Joseph thought for a bit, then stood up.

 

  “You know what, let’s get it to the entrance and go eat. I am starving. Lady can poke it all she wants.”

 

  Pat tilted his head. His gaze was wandering aroung.

 

  “Sure, but I’m getting the truck. There should be a hook at the back…”

 

  And to think, it was only almost two hours ago that Joseph was paying the beast it’s last respects. Now they dragged it through the mud, were going to drive it around on the ground by the rope, and didn’t care one bit about what long dead Ghost even wanted to do with the creature.

  Now he was feeling disappointed. Mostly at himself.

  But disappointment or not, they fulfilled their deal. She was already waiting for them at the entrance, when they pulled the Archrhyder inside the hallway.

 

  “As you ordered, Lady Edna.”

 

  “My order was to bring it alive or dead indeed… A shame that it is breathless, but I assume it was inevitable?”

 

  “It was. It dragged me through the forest, and I was forced to kill it to let me go.”

 

  “I see. Very well, you have finished your job marvelously.”

 

  She knelt near the Archrhyder and touched it’s ears.

 

  “That is one beautiful creature… Never seen these even once in my life. Didn't even know this one was living on the island with me. How does that happen, that all the best things that I ever experienced were only after my demise?”

 

  She chuckled.

 

  “But, oh well. I see you’ve dragged the beast through a lot of dirt. Take the sheets from the guest rooms, they would never need it anymore. Cover him up, I ask of you.”

 

  That didn’t take long. Now their trophy was wrapped like a present.

 

  “So, what now? We go eat and call it a day?”

 

  Irfan snapped his fingers. Joseph was stunned, as he never expected such gesture from him.

 

  “No. We have to do everything today. The second team is still out there. We have the transport now, let’s break the blockade and move. If gas is afraid of the fire, we should be able to scare it off by pretending to burn it.”

 

  Joseph almost completely forgot about the other team. Irfan was absolutely correct. They had no time to chit chat around.

 

  “You wouldn’t even share you story with this poor dead owner of the house here?”

 

  “Let’s get to the kitchen, we can chat there.”

0