Chapter 1: Her Birth
166 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sound of infantile cries rang out in the bright moonlight. The birthing healers hurriedly moved water throughout the rooms. The large circular chamber broke off into 12 small rooms with pale blue silk curtains covering the entryway. The large center space was an open roof so that the moon phase could be recorded on the birth of the young ones. One birthing healer stood perched with her veil shrouding her face, commanding the others. She heard a sharp cry from a room that drew her immediate attention and stopped several of the healer’s dead in their tracks. The sound was coming from no infant, but from a birthing healer that was now retreating quickly from her station. She stumbled backward; her eyes wide as she hit the floor. Her eyes never broke from the curtain that fluttered back into place. The commanding healer stepped over irritated with the unruly behavior. She pulled the girl to her feet and pulled her to the curtain. The young healer stopped dead in place never taking her eyes off of the curtain. Her refusal irritated the master healer further. She dropped the girl's hand and stepped through the curtain. The sight she was met with startled her, but not to the extent of the young healer.
The blue-eyed mother lay sprawled on the table, unconscious, and another healer was holding the infant with complete shock. The child bore the marks of high prestige, but the silver and gold of the markings melded together.
"The child is a Creegin. Report the child to the council with her prestige noted as well" the Master commanded to the unmoved girl.
She silently turned on her heel and ran from the chambers. The rest of the healers went back to their tasks, occasionally murmuring to one another in passing. The Master Healer took the child and aided in her bathing. She gently wrapped the child in pale grey cloth. "Care for the mother. When she wakes escort her to the council room" the masters command was stern as she turned on her heel and left.
The Master Healer carried the young one to the council chamber and waited patiently at the door. After a short time, the doors opened and she hurried in only to be greeted by all eight of the council members. Obviously, they were curious to see the Creegin with such high prestige. She brought the child to the stone cradle in the center of the semicircular tables. She carefully unwrapped the child and picked her up. The council members all looked at one another in astonishment. It was the elder female of the Warrior class that spoke first, her authoritative voice echoed in the halls. "This child could not possibly have such high prestige AND be a Creegin. That is unheard of" her disdain showing on her face as well as in her words. The elder male of the Healing class spoke lowly, "this is an omen, I am certain of it. Calamity will follow this child". The elders looked around at each other contemplating his words.
"Banish her. She will never know of her power in the Lake Lands. Even if she manages to survive to breeding age" the oldest warrior elder boomed. They all agreed in unison and the Master Healer nodded, wrapped the child and left. She passed by the mother of the child on her way out, the woman's desperate cries for her child ringing though the semi-empty hall. The Master Healer halted in her tracks for a single moment before leaving once more. She carried the child back to the birthing chamber to be declared. She heard the mothers screams of rage echo behind her and knew she was informed of her child's ill fate. 'This is the way of our people and as such should be no surprise to her' the Master thought quickly, but shook her head. She was always at unease during the Creegin declarations, she felt bad handing infants to the hostile Lake Lands. There were no options for this child though and she belonged nowhere in the city.
After a short time, the distraught mother walked back into the Birthing Chamber, looking defeated. The decision had been made and she knew she had no say in the matter. She wore her pain noticeably, her shoulders slump, her shaking vicious and the tears spilled from her eyes to the floor. The Master thought she was pitiful, but had a small twinge of sympathy towards the woman. She waited for the declaration of her child, tears never ceasing. Once the child was declared Creegin the mother went mad. She snatched the child from the healers and took off. She was fast and agile, her form disappearing quickly from view. The healers didn't dare travel far from their post before they doubled back. The mother has stolen her unwanted child and left. ‘She must have been mad’ they all thought bewildered at her antics.
The young woman carried her newborn to her small hut outside of the Healers grounds where she met her mate. He was confused and worried for his sweat drenched and pale companion. She had cradled in her arms a young one that he could barely see. Her voice was hurried and hushed as she told him of the events that transpired after their child was brought into this life. His brow furrowed with confusion until he realized what his mate was now ready to do and he was prepared to follow her to death. They quickly gathered their things and deserted the cozy home they had known. The pair snuck their child out of the massive sectioned city and into the harsh lands beyond the gates. They wandered for a day before reaching the edge of the Lake Lands. One final glance to each other before they proceeded. They both were committed to this decision and nodded in unison. Their rush to get as far away from the city as possible carried them quickly through the vast swamp-like terrain. They had no idea where they were going, or how to get to the people they were looking for. Almost as if the mighty Priestess heard their worries a group of fur clad men approached from the south. Their large physiques looked formidable even from a distance. Twalin looked at his mate quickly before stepping between his family and the intruders. The leader of the group of men lowered his large fur hood to reveal angled features and a square looking face. His stern, stoic expression frightened Twalin. He was only a healer after all, he had no skills to fight. The large man cast his eyes behind Twalin and noticed the child. Her unnatural glow made him curious, but he could tell by her being here that she was a Creegin birth. "Follow us to the Creegin Lands" his stony voice bellowed the command as he turned on his heel. Twalin looked at his mate perplexed but helped her to her feet and followed the large man. They knew not of the fates that they were about to reach, but they only hoped it would be better than the fate that they would have endured in the city.

2