Chapter 8: Fascination
89 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Ennoa, did mistress really say all of that?" Ruwa questioned the other girl quietly as they went back to Aynilia's room. "Indeed. She does not see the honor in any of this" Ennoa whispered back. They spotted the healer coming down the hallway and bowed to her. Fova stopped and turned her veiled head to the girls. "She is sleeping, but will awaken at last meal. It is best to be as quiet as possible when in her room" her warning seemed stern. The girls nodded in acknowledgement and let her leave first. They exchanged confused looks and proceeded to their mistress's room.
When they entered, they saw the girl laying still, almost like a corpse. The only evidence of life was the gentle rise and fall of her chest. They quietly cleaned the room and replaced the damaged table. Ruwa left to get a gown for last meal while Ennoa prepared some stuff for the lady to wash her face with. Both girls worked silently and never noticed the visitor at the door.

Cranis was curious why the moon doll from yesterday was not attending the rising meal when an attendant scurried in and approached the Matron monarch.
"Grand Matron we request a healer for mistress. She is not herself" Ruwa spoke eyeing the floor. The heat from the angered Matron tearing into her head. Cranis eyed his mother for a moment before speaking a response, "Matron, we must make the tournament entertaining. It won't be fun for you if she dies before the next stage". The Matron considered her son's words for a moment before dismissing the attendant with an affirmative nod. They rushed out as quickly as they entered. Cranis didn't show his concern for the girl in front of his mother. She made several snide comments about the girl and how she was an animal that deserved to be slaughtered.
Once the rising meal concluded Cranis excused himself under the lie that he was going to go prepare for the next stage of the tournament. Once he exited the hall, he hastily made his way to her room. He was unsure of yesterday's events and the way she spoke made it seem like she had lost her mind. He saw a healer leaving the visitor wing and he hid behind a large ornate golden pillar. The healer glided by without ever taking note of his presence. When she passed, he continued down the hallway? He watched a door close and he silently approached it. He heard footsteps quietly moving around inside, but no voices. 'Is she okay? Is she hurt?' the thoughts controlled his actions before he could think about what he was doing.
He carefully opened the door enough to catch a glance of the moon doll. Her figure was hard to see from where he was standing so he moved closer opening the door wider. The two attendants did not seem to notice his intrusion to the room as he was almost halfway through the door. He spotted her sleeping face and once again was completely enamored with it. Her pale moon skin, her bright white hair. He wanted to get a closer look. Without thinking he stepped into the room unannounced, but this time he was noticed.
"Most honorable Prince" One attendant said in shock, dropping to her knees in a low bow. The other turned in disbelief and followed suit. Quickly he stepped in and shut the door before their words drew attention. He held a finger to his lips and narrowed his eyes at the two girls. They raised their eyebrows in shock and awe, looking at each other. "I am here secretly. Do not let word out that I was here if you value your lives" he snarled lowly at them. They both nodded quickly. "Return to your tasks and pay me no mind, I wish her no ill will" he declared in a whisper as he approached Aynilia's sleeping body. He took note of every feature of this girl. Her face so serene in sleep, lacking the hostility he was met with the previous day. Her eyelashes were long and the same striking white as her hair and eyebrows. Her neck was long and thin leading down to narrow shoulders. The rise and fall of her breast caught is attention and his face flushed red before he looked away. The images from the previous day made him flustered, but he didn't want to lose his possibly only chance to study the girl. Her hands were slender with long fingers intertwined over her thin abdomen. She was not petite like many healers, but she wasn't overly muscular like many warriors. She had an almost ethereal look about her he noticed. She seemed to let off a glow like moonlight from her skin, a shimmer of dew decorated parts of her face.
A sound stopped his thoughts dead and he brought his eyes to her face. Her lips pulled into a think line, her eyebrows knitted together. She groaned again as if she was having a nightmare. The next moment was a blur to him. She whimpered and then a tear rolled from her eye down the side of her face. Her eyes shot open as she let out a scream and pushed herself up. Somehow Cranis couldn't stop his next action.

Those eyes even haunted her dreamless sleep. The light vanishing, her blood running down Aynilia's face. She was watching the poor girl die all over again, she started sobbing. Her heart ached so much she didn't know what to do. Then the memory turned to a nightmare as the girl now stood before Aynilia, her throat slit from side to side, blood racing down her neck and chest. "You are a monster" the girl said. Her face twisted into a sick grin as she reached up to her own neck and wiped some of the blood onto her hands. "Monsters don't feel. You should've died instead. You horrible bitch" the girl lunged at Aynilia with blood-soaked clothes. Her eyes turning a deep shade of crimson as she bared sharp teeth. Aynilia was scared. As the girl reached out for her again with her mouth open Aynilia screamed. The girl laughed and repeatedly screamed "Die!" with a demonic voice.
She woke with a scream, her tears free falling once more. A pair of strong arms wrapped around her as she sobbed uncontrollably slamming her fists off of the person trying to comfort her.
At the side of the room the two attendants were rendered speechless and completely paralyzed. The Prince just showed concern and affection for the mistress, what in the world was going on. Both girls were so puzzled they only stared on, not even attempting to stop the inappropriate Prince.
Aynilia fell back unconscious suddenly, her arms dropping limp at her sides. Cranis carefully laid her back down and saw she was once again serene. The only evidence of her outburst was the tearstain on her face. He reached out to wipe the tears when Ruwa finally spoke.
"Honorable Prince, her scream certainly will draw attention, you need to leave" was the curt and uneasy demand. Without a word Cranis stood and quickly left the room.

1