Chapter 10: Savages
81 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aynilia had her eyes cast to the floor as she walked trying not to embarrass herself further. She teetered slightly but hopefully no one noticed. She felt confident to some degree to cast her eyes around the massive elegant room. The long table easily sat fifty people and had five open chairs next to each other. She glanced at the monarch family at the head of the table and was confused by the direct eye contact she made with the Prince. He was staring at her, never blinking, his face a light shade of pink. The five girls were herded like beefsheep to the raised platform behind the empty chairs. Trying hard not to teeter or look less elegant than she already was Aynilia stepped onto the platform following a girl shorter than her clad in bright blue and silver from head to toe. As they turned shoulder to shoulder, she glanced at the other girls. Each one was adorned in a single set of colors, while she was only to mix them all. This made her stand out and she felt the eyes on her. She suddenly became very self-conscious of her appearance and cast her eyes down to the floor again.
"Tonight, we welcome the Mate Potentials to reveal their Prestige as they have been deemed the strongest of the chosen few" The Matron Monarch announced. Aynilia learned the other four girls’ names as each one was paraded like a pet and her shawl removed. The first was Wilyn a short healer who looked barely at the breeding age. She glided around as if on a cloud. 'So elegant' Aynilia growing envious of the girl's confidence. Next was Yika, a warrior, who had broader shoulders and darker skin. Her eyes were the color of blood and she looked like a soldier as she walked. Another graceful girl, who was rather beautiful with her long brown hair and pale red eyes glided across. Her name happened to be Quian. The girl before Aynilia, whose name was Gibal, was another tall soldier build. Her eyes narrow and calculating were deep crimson with a hint of orange. Her hair was black and it laid loosely on her pale shoulders.
"Last in line is Aynilia. A Creegin" the Matron sneered in disgust, "remove your shawl she ordered quickly. each of the other girls had three or four marks similar to Aynilia on their backs. 'What does it mean?' Aynilia wondered as she undid the clasp on the shawl.

Cranis never moved his eyes from the moon doll, even as the others were paraded in front of him. His prestige was a 9 so these women were much weaker than him and not at all interesting. To Cranis they all looked the same, boring. The moon doll however kept casting her eyes to the floor, her skin glowing. His mother finally announced her. 'Aynilia the moon doll' he thought to himself tilting his head looking at the girl intently.
"She is a Creegin" he heard his mother say in disgust. He was stunned, a Creegin was never considered for mating let alone the Monarch Tournament. He was now more intrigued by the doll. "Remove your shawl his mother’s order was less courteous than to the other four. He glanced around and noticed all eyes were on her now. He returned his eyes to the glowing Creegin as she slowly removed her shawl. Once it was off, she moved forward, every step-in slow motion. He watched her suck in a deep breath and turn around and his eyes widened at the sight he saw before him. 'A full Prestige marking?!' he was stunned, his mouth agape. "This is not possible" his mother muttered under her breath signaling a servant over. He didn't hear what she was saying to the young boy before he ran off as Cranis was completely entranced by this girl.
She turned back around and cast her eyes down again.

Aynilia was directed to the seat right next to the Prince. She didn't dare look up as she felt his eyes were glued to her like tar. She sat down and The Matron spoke "Begin the feast" with the clap of her hands. Dishes were brought to each person individually. As she figured Aynilia received her food last. She tried to focus on her food and not the Prince who had not looked away from her since she stepped in the room. Prince Cranis addressed her first and she contemplated being rude and ignoring him.
"Lady Aynilia what a fascinating name you have" he said low and seeming to savior the sound of her name as it left his mouth.
"Yes, but is it my name that has your eyes removed from your sockets currently?" Aynilia spit back hastily taking a bite of her food. Something was off about the food. It had a strange aroma to it and there was a taste of black grass. She glanced at the Monarch family to find both of them eyeing her. Their expressions were vastly different from one another. The Prince seemed to be trying to read her mind while the Matron Monarch had a small, evil smirk playing on her face.
She felt her head start to pound and she reached her hands up to try and stop her head from exploding. Through squinted eyes she saw the Matron had a full evil grin spread across her lightly tanned face. She felt rage rise inside of her, tearing her apart from the inside. She let out a painful scream as she fell from her chair desperately clutching at the pain trying to keep it from moving in her body.
Cranis was shocked by the display and became worried as the girl was writhing in pain on the floor. Suddenly she jumped up and tore at pieces of her gown, ripping the gorgeous fabric to shreds. 'What is going on' Cranis was on edge trying to figure out what happened so suddenly. People were screaming and moving away from Aynilia. She tore ornaments from her hair and it danced wildly around her face as her eyes shifted to a dazed state.
"Savage! Guards subdue her!" His mother shouted angrily a mocking undertone in her voice. The girl, upon hearing the Matron speak leapt for her in a frenzy. "She is trying to kill me" his mother shrieked.
Guards rushed from all corners of the hall to subdue the girl. 'This is bad. Was she poisoned?' Cranis thought. He jumped into action and wrapped his arms tightly around the frenzied girl. Her struggle was strong and difficult for him to hold. He let out a small breath and focused his energy in his arms. A blazing mist encasing his arms increasing his strength. He had to do something.

Aynilia was sitting in a large field of green with some trees scattered about. A fragrant smell played with her nose and she was content here.
"Atuya! Atuya!" she heard a deep masculine voice shout. From behind her she saw a thin girl with long white hair emerge. She had a smile on her face as she greeted the man. "Chitan" she expressed hugging the man. Aynilia jumped to her feet and approach the pair. This girl looked strangely like herself except for one major difference, her eyes had deep red irises that held Cyan pupils. She was an entrancing sight. Her face looked exactly like Aynilia's, her build as well. The only difference was her eyes. Aynilia was terrified at what she was seeing. She didn't understand. Suddenly the peaceful scenery fell out from underneath her and she was standing in pitch black staring straight at the girl again.
"Who are you?" Aynilia shouted afraid.
"I am you, only much older" the girls voice was quiet and serene.
"What do you mean? I don't understand" Aynilia shouted again.
"Now is not the right time. But you must recall the past to defend yourself in the present" the girl said calmly. It made no sense to Aynilia her head was pounding again she felt rage building. "The poison is spreading" the girl announced stepping closer to her. She placed a single hand on the Aynilia's head and closed her eyes. Suddenly the girl opened her eyes wide and thrust her other hand into Aynilia's chest, the pain forced her to let out a loud shriek. Aynilia's eyes went wide and then she fainted. The other girl looked down at her calmly and then she disappeared.

The air grew cold, so cold that Cranis could see his breath. The girl in his arms stopped struggling in that instant and her wild hair now gently flowing, a surge of power forced Cranis off of her, his energy dissipated.
"What in the world?" He said staring at the girls marked back. Her Prestige marks shifting colors continuously. Her hands relaxed and she stood straight up.
Everyone stood still as if frozen. His mother was staring at the girl's face a look of fear plastered on her own that Cranis has never seen before. In the same instant that the power appeared it vanished and the girl collapsed to the floor her shredded dress the only evidence of her behavior. Cranis approached the girl. "Prince Cranis step away from that savage beast!" his mother screamed at him.
"Why do I smell black grass?" the girl seated directly next to Aynilia questioned loudly eyeing the Matron Monarch suspiciously.

1