Chapter 18: Prisoner
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                After an eternity of probing and questioning Fova finally let Aynilia settle back into her bed. “Young one, you suffered greatly. Your body is weak, but healthy. Your spirit however, is shifting. Did something happen to you recently?” her question was a low whisper, she wanted no one to hear. Aynilia shifted uncomfortably against the pillows. She only nodded once at the healer’s question. Fova let out a low hum in response. “Alright then young one, listen carefully. Your eyesight and hearing shall return to normal within a phase. Rest in the dark and only let sky light through. Give your eyes time to adjust. I will make sure to let your handmaids know that only low noises can be tolerated at this point. After some rest, try to stand and walk a few steps” Fova could be heard shuffling around gathering her materials.

                “Will I be okay?” Aynilia asked lowly, her eyes cast down to the floor. As some of her moonlit white hair slid down her shoulder Fova caught a glimpse once again of the strange silver markings on the young girl’s neck. “You will be fine after some rest” Fova placed a hand on her shoulder and gently eased her back to laying. A glance at the pleading metallic blue eyes showed another peculiar sight. The far outer edges of her beautiful eyes were edged in a deep red. ‘I don’t know what you have been through, nor what is in store for you, but I pray you will prevail’ Fova silently prayed for the girl. “If you need me, just send one of your handmaids to find me” she placed a hand on Aynilia’s forehead before silently drifting from the room.

                She laid in bed trying to force herself back to sleep. Unsure of how long she was laying there, eventually she drifted off into sleep.

 

               

                “Is she asleep?” Ruwa asked Ennoa quietly, peeking through the door. “I think so. I hope she feels better tomorrow” Ennoa sighed and turned to leave. She had turned around and ran right into a broad chest covered in soft red robes. She quickly covered her mouth to stifle the scream. Ruwa whipped around quickly and her eyes shot wide open. “Prince” she hurriedly whispered and fell to her knees. Standing before the two girls was a tall and strikingly handsome face, they knew all to well. Prince Cranis paid no mind to their greeting, nor did he acknowledge their clumsy bows.

                “She is finally back asleep, that is a relief” his voice was low and his eyes never leaving the small gap in the door. He made a cautious step forward reaching his hand towards the handle. He found himself once again drawn to the girl who he knows nothing about.

                “Prince, pardon my rudeness, however you are not allowed to enter” Ennoa’s bowed head and tightly clasped hands were the only indicators of her fear. For the first time Cranis took note of the two girls still standing here. He eyed the girl in front of him with a hint of annoyance. He turned on his heel and left once more. He walked for what felt like forever until he finally came back to his own living space. He made his way into the room and collapsed onto the large bed. The familiar feeling of the red silk against his skin gave him a sense of ease.

                “The Royal Matron seeks an audience with the Prince” the voice boomed through his door only moments before they burst open. The slender and elegant woman strode in, her anger written all over her. She had her hands folded together so tightly that her knuckles were turning a pale white. Her mouth was pulled into a straight line and her eyes were more narrow than usual.

                “Prince Cranis, I hear you went to see the Creegin girl again” her voice was stern and knowing. Cranis couldn’t deceive the Matron, as she has eyes and ears all over the palace. Cranis looked up at his mother and simply nodded. He knew that she was going to be furious with him and he was preparing himself for the backlash. His mother paused and scanned his face for a moment before speaking again. “You are forbidden from seeing any of the mote potentials until the tournament is over. The only mate you will be permitted to speak to or see is the winner” his mother’s gaze burned a hole in his mind.

                “What is she wins then?” his response even shocked himself. Cranis was not the type to speak so openly to the Matron due to her infamous anger. He knew the moment his eyes caught hers that he wished he had never spoken. Her eyebrows were raised high and her eyes widened in shock. Her straightened lips pulled downwards as he saw her anger boiling to the surface. In a flash she had turned her back to him and started to leave, at the door she turned for a moment to look back at Cranis.

                “She will not win; I will see to that” was her low and frightening reply.

“The Prince is confined to his quarters. No one is allowed to enter or leave without my permission” her command echoed as four guards marched up and took their new positions outside of the doorway. Cranis jumped up and rushed for the door. The guards slammed the door shut and the sound of the large iron lock sliding into place told Cranis that his mother was serious this time. There were many times that he was able to get away with things throughout his privileged life thanks to his mother. However, he now felt as if he crossed a line with her that he may not be able to cross back over.

Angry with his new prison sentence, Cranis punched the wall next to the door before returning to his spot on his bed. He though back on his conversation with his mother and there was one part that he caught and kept replaying. He had no idea what was in store for the white-haired doll that he was entranced by, but he had a terrible feeling about the remaining trials for the tournament.

1