Chapter 19 Next Trial
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The time seemed to slither by slowly. Aynilia was trapped in this strange room, the cycle of cotton wrappings covering her eyes and ears every few hours, was the only way to keep the time. She wasn’t sure how long she had been sitting in the bed. Her eyes were covered again and her ears had finally adjusted to the many sounds around her. A fluttering of wings made her turn her attention towards the sound. A soft breeze caused a few tendrils of hair to dance across her face. The darkness covering her eyes had left her sulking. The Matron had ordered that she was to be confined to her room until the next trial for the tournament was to commence.

                “My lady, it is time for your bathing” Ennoa whispered from the foot of the bed. Aynilia let out a small sigh before moving the blankets and tossing her legs over the side of the bed. She felt two pairs of small hands gently grasp her arms and help her up. “Healer Fova will be by today to check on your eyesight again” Ruwa spoke lowly. Both girls had been extremely cautious of light and sound since Fova had told them about her condition. Aynilia was grateful for these two girls, they have not left her side. The only two friends she has in this hostile palace. Ennoa was always in charge of undressing her while Ruwa made sure that she made it into the tub. Once she was in and seated the girls made quick work of washing her. They spent the most time washing and combing through her long white hair.

                A light knock came at the door and Aynilia felt one set of hands leave her hair. Some quick footsteps and the click of the door made Aynilia’s ears twitch. A sudden sound caught her attention and she tilted her head to try and figure out the sound. The sound was growing louder and she started to recognize the sound of metal clanking against metal.

                “Ennoa, get my clothes now. We have guests” Aynilia placed her hand on the maids’ hand, pushing it away gently. The air grew tense just before the door burst open, the sound of metal assaulting her ears.

                “Creegin girl, we are coming to take you to the stadium for trial” a stern and familiar voice said. She felt Ennoa’s hand on her shoulder before raising her naked form from the water.

                “Lady please wait! Your are exposing yourself to the males!” Ruwa’s voice was raised and embarrassed murmurings could be heard in the room. With shaking hands Aynilia reached up and removed the coverings over her eyes. The covering fell from her face and she felt it land on her breasts and slide off of them. She slowly opened her eyes, allowing time for them to readjust, and focused on the scene before her. Six guards in crimson armor were crowded around the door. At the front of the group was Captain Rhitan. He had his eyes cast to the floor and his face was nearly the same color as his breast plate.

                Aynilia stood in the tub the water stopping just at her hips. Her wet hair was stuck to her body until it reached the water where it fanned out and swayed with every movement.

                “Lady get dressed please” Ennoa pleaded trying to hand a long silver robe.

                “Young one, this is hardly appropriate” Fova’s gentle voice was heard beyond the guards. The veiled healer managed to make her way through the guards and stood next to Rhitan.

                “Honored Captain, please step outside as the lady is not decent” Fova placed a hand on his shoulder and steps toward the naked white-haired doll. Captain Rhitan coughed and turned towards his men and forced them out the door. Ruwa quickly shut the door behind them. Ennoa helped guide Aynilia out of the tub and helped her put her robe on. Fova stepped over close to Aynilia and started to examine her eyes.

                “Young one, they will barge back through the door in a moment and haul you away on the Matron’s orders” she whispered into Aynilia’s ear. A moment later Captain Rhitan threw open the doors again and marched over to her.

                “Creegin girl, on Her Royal Matron’s orders you are to come with us” his voice boomed, though his bright red cheeks and averted gaze betrayed his strong voice. As he said that two other guards marched in and grabbed her arms.

                “This is nonsense! I can walk on my own! I didn’t say I wouldn’t go! Why are you being so forceful!?!” Aynilia’s anger flared up quickly and her voice echoed off of the walls. The two guards hoisted her up by her arms and carried her out. The Captain stood behind for a moment with a sullen look on his face before regaining his composure and marching out of the door. Fova and the two handmaids stood in silence listening to the angry shrieks of the girl.

 

 

The light outside stung her eyes as she was dragged out into the stadium and through on the ground. She scrambled to her feet and looked around. The guards were already gone from sight and the only two people she could see were the monarch family in their usual seats.

                “The next trial is upon us! The beast trial will test your ability to best the worst creatures our lands have to offer” The Matron announced, a hint of enjoyment in her voice. Aynilia couldn’t help but feel uneasy. “And your beast Creegin girl is the most vicious creature in the land” She raised an arm out to gracefully motion to a large gate behind Aynilia. She spun around to face the gate and a low audible growl was heard. She narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

                “The Red Mane is the most terrifying and dangerous beast and your task is to kill it or die trying” Tulas announced the beast and seemed to have a hint of joy in the very last part of her speech.

                “Open the gate!” she shouted and as if like magic the gate started to open. The ground shook slightly with each step of the beast that was now approaching. She realized she was in a mess now. She had no weapons, no hunting party and dressed in only a silver robe. She and the beast met their gazes and the bright red eyes narrowed as it let out a snarl.

                ‘I need to think fast’ She thought desperately to herself.

1