Chapter 3 – It’s Reality (3)
104 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Zhang Li seems to have ceased all of his offensive measures against Su family.” Su Lin reported in a monotone to his older sister, his expression seeming completely indifferent.

“So what? Even if he regrets it now, he’s the one who bore his fangs to Su family, so he can’t complain about us going overboard.” Su Jia sneered and signed another document before turning her gaze up at her brother. “Xiao Lin, you seem a bit worried about something.”

“You can tell?” He responded without the slightest change in expression.

“Of course, you’re my little brother after all.” She laughed lightly at him, putting down her pen for a moment to gaze at him a bit more closely. “You don’t have to be that surprised. If there’s anything bothering you, then you can tell your reliable older sister!”

Su Lin, although his face didn’t reflect it at all, felt a huge relief upon hearing that the woman in front of him could accurately read his mood. Ever since waking up in this world in his current body, he had failed to make a single facial expression, resulting in strange looks from time to time with those who were unaccustomed to the original Su Lin's facial paralysis.

“I was just concerned about you. Your husband suddenly turned on your family and then you two are getting divorced in a matter of only three days, aren’t you feeling overwhelmed?”

“If I had loved that dumbass Zhang Li even a little bit, then I might feel something.” Su Jia explained carefully, her eyebrows creasing in displeasure. “Right now, I only feel annoyed. I want to burn him to a crisp for threatening my family and my business!”

“Sister is really too scary.” The emotionless man in front of her muttered under his breath, shaking his head when she glanced over to him with a questioning expression.

“Anyways, I’ll be assigning you as the head of the R&D department from now on.” She promptly dropped the topic of her ex-husband and hurried to the main point of calling Su Lin to her office. “Since you have a degree in engineering, this will be a better use of your skills than a normal management position in Dad’s company, right?”

“That suits me.” He responded simply, but Su Jia can’t help smiling in satisfaction after catching sight of his face that seemed brimming with joy in her eyes.

“If you’re happy, then that’s good. I know you’re still new to management, so let me know if you have any problems.” She chuckled at him and picked up her pen again to continue her work.

After thanking her and bidding goodbye, Su Lin left her office and bumped into his sister’s assistant that was running around in a hurry.

“Oh, if it isn’t Su Lin.” Chi Yumeng scowled and quickly grabbed the few papers that had slipped out of her grasp, glaring at him as though he was less than human. “Still can’t watch where you’re going? Hurry and get new glasses!”

“Sorry for bumping into you.” Su Lin said with an imperceptible frown, unconsciously adjusting the spectacles sitting on his nose. “Have we met before?”

Chi Yumeng, who had only experienced rejection one time in her life from the person in front of her, felt as though her whole body was dipped in cold water and sputtered indignantly for a moment before wordlessly walking away with a sense of defeat.

Su Lin had recently thought that the women of this world seemed to be very hostile. After thinking on it for a while longer, he could only shake his head and continue his walk to the elevators.

After arriving at his new department, Su Lin found himself looking around in amazement. Considering the era, the technology being worked on was enough to surprise, although it gave off the feeling that they were trying to achieve the impossible.

“Ah, could it be that you are Mister Su?” A man in a lab coat seemed to take notice of the youth wandering and observing the people working with a blank expression. “Missus Su informed me that you would be our new department head, would you like a tour?”

“Just Su Lin is fine.” He slowly turned away from the prototype VR headset and faced the employee with his usual indifferent expression. “I’d like to discuss all of our ongoing projects, perhaps I could have some insight.”

“Of course.” The employee holds himself back from rolling his eyes.

What could the CEO’s incompetent brother offer when it comes to technical details? It would only be a waste of time, but this was the kind of thing that was expected with a new department head, so he didn’t voice any discontent and led him to a conference room where they spoke at length about the current technologies in development.

By the time the two men had exited the room, the employee was inexplicably eyeing Su Lin with newfound respect and a distinct sense of inferiority.

“Sir, I will call a meeting. I’d like it if you could offer your expertise to everyone!”

Su Lin, who was a bit perplexed about how quickly the man’s enthusiasm had ramped up after discussing for a short time, nodded his head wordlessly and ended up standing around and waiting for everyone to assemble.

Just when he was wondering if he should look around for his office, his cell phone began to ring and he lifted the smartphone to his eyes to see an unfamiliar name on the display.

“Lao Yang?” He mumbled curiously to himself, squinting as though he couldn’t quite read the words. After a moment, he shrugged and answered the call.

“Su Lin, how’s it going?” A deep and charming voice asked pleasantly, the sounds of water rushing in the background.

“Oh, so it’s Lao Yang.” He attempted to feign surprise, but his voice only produced the same monotone as always. “I’m fine, how are you?”

“Hm, did we know each other already?” The man responded back with clear surprise. “No, wait, are you just pretending that you know who I am?”

Su Lin, who was caught red handed, wordlessly hung up the phone and awkwardly stared at the screen. Since he doesn’t know him, that person isn’t important. After reciting that a few times in his heart, he calmed down and put the phone back in his pocket.

At that time, a certain man was looking at his phone that was displaying ‘call ended’.

“That guy, he seriously just hung up on me without saying anything…” Lao Yang couldn’t keep from laughing, finding that he’d come across someone interesting just now. “Hey, 0181, that guy just now was definitely not the original, right?”

At his prompting, a gentle and clear voice rang inside his mind with a completely derisive tone.

[ Host, please don’t ask me stupid questions. Didn’t you receive this world’s plot already? ]

“You caught me, I actually just wanted to hear your voice!” The man winked playfully, ignoring that the mechanical system in his mind seemed to be getting more annoyed with his every word.

[ ...Shut up. Do you have any intention of completing the task? ]

“Depends, I guess.” Lao Yang sighed and shrugged, turning off the tap of the bathroom sink before him and setting his smartphone to the side. “Is it anything interesting this time? If it’s like the last one, then I’m just going to play around.”

[ Your task is to prevent Yuan Yu’s ill fate. ]

Lao Yang seemed to think for a long moment, then he tilted his head at the mirror and asked the system a question.

“Why is it a person I’ve never heard of before?”

The system was quiet for a long while as a low buzzing filled Lao Yang’s mind, a sure sign that 0181 was seriously searching for an answer to his question.

[ I also have no record of this person being in the plot. Perhaps it has something to do with all the interference in this world, I cannot find any trace of him. ]

“Oh, that’s interesting.” He enunciated slowly, a smile tugging at the corner of his lips.

[ Can I take that to mean that you will actually be trying to complete your task this time? ]

“Why not?” The handsome man shrugged, his gaze returning to his cell phone. “There’s a lot of interesting characters here, don’t you think it’d be a waste to let the plot progress properly all the way to the end? I want to mess everything up!”

[ ...You’re the worst. Just complete your task, I cannot emphasize this enough. Why do you insist on ruining all the local’s lives every time? ]

“It’s not like I’m intending to ruin their lives, I’m just spicing up the plot a bit.” Lao Yang objected quickly, grinning as he begins scrolling through the list of phone numbers that 0181 had added to his phone from the plot important characters. “Let’s start with Su Jia. That lady is Zhang Li’s ex-wife, they shouldn’t have reconciled yet, so we should hurry and remind her of the good ol’ days~”

[ Host, I urge you not to half heartedly interfere with the leads. ]

“It’s ringing~”

System 0181 really wanted to kill it’s host and this fact never changed, no matter which world they were completing tasks in. After completing a few more tasks, it would have the energy necessary to upgrade, yet Lao Yang had suddenly become extremely incompetent after efficiently completing tasks in so many worlds.

[ You’re doing this on purpose. ]

System 0181 knew that his host was sandbagging for a fact, but he had no control over his host after all. He could only follow and watch as Lao Yang sabotaged himself and the leads of each world, over and over.

“Su Jia, hello!” Lao Yang cheerfully greeted the female lead, his eyes shining as he begins to speak into the receiver. “That’s right, that’s right! It’s Lao Yang, how did you know?”

 

Oh, our main cast has all been introduced. Who do you guys like the best? I unexpectedly grew really fond of the two assistants as I was writing. I have a lot of plans for all these people to interact and reveal lots of things, I hope you guys are also excited! 

There are seven main characters in this; Zhang Li, Su Jia, Su Lin, Yuan Yu, Chi Yumeng, Lao Yang, and System 0181. Of course, I love them all equally. There are no biases! Su Jia and Zhang Li are on the same level! Yuan Yu and Su Lin are the same! Su Lin and Zhang– No, well, there’s got to be a line somewhere, alright? How could my awkward and face paralysis boy be on the same level as the overbearing CEO? There’s a bias here, alright, just a small bias! Yuan Yu also has his own struggles, can you really say that him and the successful without trying Su Jia are the same? It’s an underdog’s charm, I can’t help but to be biased towards them!

...Anyways, what was I saying? There’s no biases here, equal screen time for all.

Thanks for reading, see you all next time~

1