Chapter 9 – Precious Memories (1)
114 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Yuan Yu, answer your phone!” Chi Yumeng paid no attention to the frozen stiff woman seated next to her, instead biting her thumbnail as the phone continued to ring without end. After a short while, her boyfriend’s professional voice began to speak about other means of contact and she hung up the phone while cursing to herself.

Su Jia stared blankly ahead, her face already emptied of it’s color. Her thoughts were less coherent than the little assistant, only imagining many different scenarios that all caused her face to occasionally cloud over with grief.

She didn’t have any extra brain power to spend on analyzing her feelings and so only continued to feel worse and worse as her heart suffered an unfamiliar storm of emotions, though there were also somewhat pleasant and nostalgic memories surfacing every once in a while.

A breakfast on one of the two’s rare days off, a discussion about business, and a time when Zhang Li had taken the initiative to help her with a matter at work without her prompting him.

All these recollections only made Su Jia’s heart sting even more.

The driver noted the tense atmosphere and cleverly remained quiet as he drove to the nearest hospital. If Zhang Li had truly suffered an injury, then he would naturally be brought to that place for treatment.

“Don’t tell me that crazy Zhang Li crashed his car in order to kill himself after being divorced!? Just spare my Yuan Yu, ah!” Chi Yumeng was mumbling something to herself on the other side of the car, scrolling through a news feed for any mention of the incident.

Fortunately, the CEO next to her didn’t hear any of those words or she might have fainted on the spot.

“We’re here, ma’am.” The driver glanced back after he had pulled to a stop in front of the hospital, giving a small jump as his gaze met with his employer’s frighteningly empty expression.

“Hurry, Miss Su!” Chi Yumeng wasn’t as dazed as Su Jia and hooked her arm around hers, pulling the two of them out of the car. 

The little assistant dragged her boss along with her, eventually reaching the front desk with her breathing a bit heavy. After she managed to flag down a nurse, she hurriedly asked about whether Zhang Li or Yuan Yu had been admitted.

“There’s a person named Yuan Yu on the second floor, room 223–”

The little assistant didn’t stay to listen to the woman and directly pulled Su Jia after her as she made her way to the elevators and tapped the call button a few times.

“He might be unconscious, why else wouldn’t he answer the phone?” Chi Yumeng lamented aloud, fiddling nervously with her phone while she waited for the elevator to arrive. “Ah, we’ll ask about Zhang Li when we get up there, okay?” 

She remembered her boss’ own concerns and added hastily, not noticing that Su Jia still appeared completely lost in her own thoughts without any awareness at all. The person next to her didn’t even realize that they’d reached the hospital, much less that it was already said that her ex-husband wasn’t hospitalized here.

The elevator doors creaked open to reveal a woman with bandages wrapped around her face, arms, and legs being pushed in a wheel chair with a beaming smile.

“It’s alright, they said my injuries aren’t serious at all. I’ll be walking again soon enough!” The girl announced excitedly to the older business man pushing her. “Dad, are you really that against it? I promise I’ll do my best!”

The two women made way for the pair, catching sight of the girl’s father’s conflicted expression as they passed by. Without thinking much about them, they rode the elevator up to the second floor and walked straight to room 223.

Chi Yumeng shoved the door open, slamming it against the wall, and dashed quickly to the bedside of the individual who was calmly discussing something with his boss.

“Y-Yumeng!” Yuan Yu was surprised by the girl’s sudden appearance, sitting up a bit straighter on his bed. “Don’t worry, this is nothing serious. I just have a bit of smoke inhalation from the fire, so–”

“Don’t worry!? Why didn’t you answer my calls!?” The little assistant sneered down at him, digging her cell phone back out from her pocket and shoving it in his face. “I thought you were dead or something! Did you even think about my feelings, huh?”

“Oh… I-I think I dropped my phone back then...” Yuan Yu lowered his head for a moment, remembering how he was trying to make a call when the driver had suddenly scrambled out of the car and he was roughly pulled outside by Zhang Li.

“Su Jia, you came as well.” Zhang Li smirked as his gaze settled on the woman who was standing stock still at the room’s doorway, but it faltered a bit when he saw her dazed expression.

After a long moment, the woman breathed out a heavy sigh and her body visibly relaxed, life returning to her eyes that had been strangely empty for a while now.

“Zhang Li, you really have gone crazy. It’s only been a few days, isn’t it too early to be trying to kill yourself in regret?” She said plainly with a face filled with feigned composure. After observing him slowly begin to process her venomous words, she smiled gently and strode out of the room as though that was all she came to say.

“You dare–!” Zhang Li’s entire face flushed red with anger and indignation. He naturally stormed out after her while letting out a low growl of frustration, leaving the two assistants alone in the hospital room.

“Did you not think to borrow a phone from Zhang Li? Or a nurse?” Chi Yumeng didn’t soften her glare even slightly at the two CEO’s exchange and continued to relentlessly scowl at her boyfriend.

Yuan Yu felt a bit uncomfortable under her stare, his heart tinged with a slight amount of guilt as Chi Yumeng hadn’t crossed his mind a single time since everything had happened. If he had thought of her, then he naturally would’ve at least asked Zhang Li or someone else to let her know that his condition wasn’t serious.

“Actually, a lot happened today.” He explained tiredly, avoiding apologising to her to keep from being buried in insults.

The woman appeared distinctly irritated by his excuse, but she didn’t interrupt him with cruel words at least.

“Hey, don’t you want to hear the story of the fearless Yuan Yu who braved smoke and fire to save someone?” He puffed out his chest, looking to her with some expectation for praise.

Chi Yumeng scoffed at his bragging, crossing her arms as her eyes narrowed disapprovingly.

“If that’s true, then aren’t you an idiot? You should think about yourself before saving others. A loser like you will only die doing something brave, it’s better to just stay your cowardly self.” She laughed lightly, her face clearly showing that she didn’t believe a word he had said.

“Yumeng, don’t be so petty…” He sighed at her, his pride towards his actions earlier wilting in the face of her disparaging words. “So what if I forgot to call you? Don’t hold a grudge over such a small thing…”

“Hmph.” Chi Yumeng eyed him with a frown, her face scrunching in annoyance. “You can call me petty all you want. If it’s such a bother, then I won’t worry about you anymore.”

“I didn’t mean it like that. Why are you being like this?” Yuan Yu huffed out another forceful sigh, looking away from her in dissatisfaction. “If you don’t have anything good to say, then just leave. I don’t need you lecturing me!”

After a long time passed without a response, the assistant peeked back over his shoulder to see why his girlfriend had turned quiet, but was only met with an empty room.

She actually left! Yumeng, you weren’t really supposed to leave!

Yuan Yu became extremely embarrassed after noticing this fact and he pursed his lips into a tight frown, a bit of regret rising in his heart. Even knowing her hot headed personality, he argued with her… Still, there was no denying that she was acting way too petty! He definitely wasn’t in the wrong this time!

Feeling conflicted inside of his heart, the assistant stewed over his irritation with Chi Yumeng for a long time.

 

Don't worry, everyone! Fighting is a sign of a healthy relationship! Divorce and breaking up are also signs of a healthy relationship!

Thanks for reading, see you tomorrow~

2