Chapter 2
52 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Three years later

Harry is wrist deep in soil when his wards hum softly, warning him someone was approaching his front door. He pulls out his wand and casts a time spell. 3:45, it was nearly tea time, he supposed. Letting out a gentle sigh, Harry placed the small plants into their respective holes and patted the dirt down. He stands as his wards hum again, louder this time. Whoever was visiting, was knocking at his door, which hopefully they avoided the fresh coat of lavender paint Harry had just painted on there just a few moments ago.

He rinsed the grit and earth from his skin before making his way through his small home. Herbs were growing in the window of his kitchen, just above the sink. Crystals and various jars were filled with different potion ingredients and flowers were sitting on a shelf with books both magical and muggle. Four altars were placed around his living room sitting at the cardinal directions. Each alter had Harry's own interpretations of the elements as well as small offering bowls. Another brisk knock caught his attention and Harry opened the door cautiously.

"Mr. Potter, I hate to drop in unannounced and uninvited." Professor Mcgonagall was smiling affectionately from the doorway.

"Not at all Professor, please come in." Harry stood aside and the older woman took a careful step inside.

"I talked to Ms. Granger not too long ago, I love what you have done to this home Harry." Harry flushed and grinned his thanks.

"Thank you Professor. Would you like some tea? Or would you prefer coffee?" Mcgonagall smiled brightly.

"Severus is the coffee drinker, I'll have a cup of tea if you don't mind." Harry was already in the kitchen getting a teapot ready for the stove. He could hear her moving about his living space, just glancing about. All his altars and jars were warded and they would alert him if she were to touch anything that could potentially be dangerous or just too personal. His fire altar gave off a slight buzz under his skin, alerting him she was very close to it.

"I never knew you were one for altar magic Mr. Potter." the buzz faded.

Harry peeked around the kitchen threshold. "It's a practice I just started. I'm learning quite a bit, I'll admit, the research has been grueling." she laughed softly.

"I'll bet it has. Not many witches or wizards use altar magic anymore. Even purebloods like the Malfoys have stopped using it, it isn't a common practice like it once was."

"It's something Hermione thought I would be interested in, given my..." Harry paused for a moment. Other than Ron and Hermione, this would be the first time Harry was to openly talk or mention his elemental magic. "Unique abilities, for a lack of a better word."

McGonagall glanced at him and tilted her head. " 'Unique abilities'? Ms. Granger never mentioned anything about those." Harry let out a quiet rush of breath. This conversation needed to get to safer waters before a storm brewed in his own house.

"I didn't want to ask out right Professor, but, why are you here?"

"I was hoping to prolong this conversation Harry, honest. But, as Headmistress, I need to have a certain number of teachers on the board." Harry turned away when the kettle started to whistle. "Severus is back to being the Potions Professor, thanks to you."

"It was the least I could do for the man who risked more than the majority of us. They were going to condemn him for a life he had little choice about. I realize that he had originally chose the Dark Side and the Mark, but every man deserves a second chance to make things right when he notices the wrong." Harry set three mugs on the counter when McGonagall walks in.

"Are you expecting more company?"

"No, it's just a small offering to keep the peace with the sprites and spirits who decide they want to come through. I had a few... incidents." Harry wrinkled his nose at the thoughts of his first week in the new house. He poured the tea into the mugs, he set out a sugar cube next to the third mug, before grabbing the rest of it and setting it on the table. He set down a small bowl of salt, just in case this visitation takes a stressful turn. He would like to avoid his more receptive crystals from absorbing any negative energy. If Mcgonagall notices, she doesn't say anything about it.

"Don't let him hear you say that." McGonagall tittered as she added cream and sugar to her tea.

"How is he? How's his injury?" Harry sipped his tea calmly, green eyes staring at the Headmistress over the rim of his mug.

"His voice has gotten stronger. His throat still causes him some discomfort however, but by the time the semester begins that shouldn't be an issue. Poppy has been working with him on voice therapy." McGonagall sipped her tea as Harry ran his finger around the lip of the cup.

"His scar healed faster than the rest of him. Poppy was never able to figure out why. Though she has mentioned to me that the scars are changing. I'll admit, it is a bit odd. I've never heard of scars changing shape, have you?"

Harry paused in circling the cup and stared at the liquid, his brows drawn together. "I can't say that I have, Professor, but I can try and look into it for you."

"Ah," she waved her hand as if to brush Harry's words aside like smoke. "I wouldn't want to trouble you with something mundane. It's not causing Severus any problems so it's something that can wait."

"Are you sure?" Harry leaned back in his chair.

"I'm quite sure. Poopy will figure it out eventually. He's not uncomfortable with it. It's a very slow change, it takes a few days to notice a difference."

Harry bit his lip, the image of the water, the chalice, the mermaids from the lake, and the ooze of blood and venom. What if it caused Snape more harm than good? He stared into the cooling tea, demanding the liquid give him answers. It only rippled in reply, keeping any secrets it may hold to itself. He sighed and pushed it aside.

"He's okay Harry." McGonagall was smiling softly at her former student. "Though, Severus really wasn't the subject I had intended to discuss with you. I was hoping I could give you a proposition actually. Miss Granger had mentioned that you're looking for a job that doesn't involve chasing down Voldemort's remaining followers."

"After years of chasing the man down, I've lost the taste for chasing down more men like him. Dark witches, wizards, and Aurors just don't speak to me like they used to. Ginny ran off to join the Aurors, and that might be why our relationship became so strained. She never really, truly grasped why I never joined." The tea in his cup lurched slightly as a small heat tingled in his fingers. Ginny was still a bit of a sore subject for Harry, but at least he's come far enough that he doesn't burn anything at the mention of her name.

"Well, if I may, Harry. I could use another teacher on my staff. I remember you got an 'Outstanding' on your Defense NEWT."

Harry blinked at the older woman owlishly. "Wait, but I never studied to become a teacher."

"I think the D.A was training enough, don't you think?" Harry sputtered out a half-hearted protest but McGonagall raised a hand. "Harry, I can't find anyone to take the Defense Against the Dark Arts position. Slughorn retired last year, and Severus agreed to take over Potions. But everyone I have asked and interviewed still believe that the position is cursed. And when I do get someone to move in, they're gone in a matter of days. Harry, I'm here because you are my last hope."

Harry bit his lower lip, completely unsure of what to say. "Professor, the last thing I want to do is put you into a place where you could get reprimanded from hiring an untrained teacher." he said after a long moment of silence.

"Harry, who in this world would deny you anything? Any of the parents would be thrilled that you were teaching these students. The Ministry would feel safer knowing you were at Hogwarts. I feel safer knowing you were at Hogwarts. No one would deny that your life put you in enough situations that you could teach these children."

"I don't want to use my fame in that manner! I don't want my fame to just default me to any place!" Harry snapped.

"Harry." McGonagall soothed. "That wasn't what I meant, I'm sorry."

"No, it's okay. I'm just..." he paused searching for the right word. "Sensitive, I guess, about my fame. I never wanted it, I never asked for it. It was just thrust upon me by sheer bad luck."

"I understand, but please know that if I had another choice, I wouldn't be asking you. I know that you're only renting this house, and working in Hogwarts guarantees permanent housing, food, and income." Harry bowed his head and sighed heavily through his nose. He had almost forgotten that his lease was coming to an end. Trust the Headmistress to bring it to the forefront of his mind.

"As pleasing as the idea is, Headmistress, I would hate to cause more trouble for Hogwarts." Harry gathered her empty cup and his cold one as he stood. "More tea?"

"Yes please." she replied as she stood to follow him. A few woodland sprites from the outside garden were playing about the small sugar cubes. McGonagall gave them a look of surprise as Harry passed them, not at all phased to see them. "But, really Harry, it's honestly not a problem. We would be so grateful to have an extra hand in helping with the students. We have been frantic trying to figure out how to cover the Defense class. It would only be for this semester if that helps." Harry poured hot water over a new tea bag in McGonagall's cup. He would be lying to himself if he said he wasn't interested. He got a taste for teaching with the D.A, and just the thought of that. Of teaching again almost made him weak in the knees.

Maybe just one semester couldn't hurt. He would only be helping out a semester. He could move on and find a new place by next spring. "Just a semester?" he glanced at the older woman who was entranced by the sprites. She smiled at him.

"We could write out a contract, agreeing for only a semester. If you change you're mind we can tweak it."

"If?" Harry raised an eyebrow at her. "You sound almost sure that I'll decide to stay longer."

"Assuming only makes..." she trailed off for a moment. "Well, you know. I won't ask more than what you're willing to give Harry."

"I'll take some time to consider it Headmistress, in the meantime," Harry hands her a fresh cup of tea and sets out fresh sugar cubes for the sprites still playing and darting about. "Let's discuss something else. How is Luna and Neville doing?"

"Miss Lovegood and Mr Longbottom are well. Miss Lovegood is studying under both Professor Trelawney and Professor Firenze for Divination. She has shown talents of being an oracle or seer, though she hasn't made a prediction like Trelawny did for you." Harry sat back down at the table with McGonagall.

"I'm going to consider that a good thing, means no one is going to try and ruin or rule the world." McGonagall gave him a look over the rim of her steaming cup of tea.

"Not all prophecies depict the dark Harry."

"I know, just speaking from past experiences." she smiled and nodded.

"I understand dearie." she reached over and patted his hand in a grandmotherly fashion. "Mr Longbottom on the other hand is having some difficulties. He's the understudy for Professor Sprout, but since Severus is back to being the Potions Master, Neville runs into him every time the boy turns around. It's quite unfortunate, he's still so terrified of Severus."

Harry chuckled into his cup of tea. "It was like that in Potions class. Poor Neville could never get a potion right. But I'm glad to hear that he's taking to Herbology so well."

"He really is quite good at it, when he isn't in the same vicinity as Severus." McGonagall agreed, a wry smile gracing her elderly face. And that how the rest of the visit was, just casual catching up. McGonagall didn't push Harry any further on the teaching position and Harry didn't press for it.

After McGonagall left, Harry washed out the mugs, and cleaned the mess of sugar the sprites had left on the counter. It was well into the afternoon, the sun was setting just beyond the trees. Torchbugs were just starting the first act for their evening light show. Harry sighed and leaned his hip on the counter. It was such an unexpected turn that McGonagall had turned up on his doorstep asking him to take up a teaching position. His green eyes fluttered shut and he took in a deep breath. He felt so tightly wound, he could feel the tension building between his shoulders. He had picked through all the options here, and nothing fit. Nothing felt right. He had left that world and life behind for a reason. But it seems now, that reason was null and void. He rubbed his forehead as a small headache rose. This was getting him nowhere.

He pushed off the counter and strolled to his living room. He sat on his small loveseat and stared into the cold, empty fireplace. He briefly wondered if Hermione was too busy for a social call, but what would he say to her? The last time Harry had spoken to Hermione was about a year and a half ago. By then, she was caught up in all sorts of Ministry projects. Equal rights for Magical creatures like House elves, Centaurs, and Vampires. A movement to combat Umbridge's Anti-Mudblood law were just to name a few. Ron was probably getting ready for Quidditch season and wasn't even home. But it had been longer since he talked to Ron then Hermione. They had split and gone their separate ways much to Harry's dismay. They had been really good together, always have. Harry laid his head back against the back of the loveseat. There, really wasn't anyone else he could ask about this. Ask if he would make a great teacher. McGonagall seemed to have more faith in him than he did.

He turned his head to watch the light show that was happening right in his backyard. He also suspected that there were some small pixies and sprites that were participating in the light show this evening. There was just an air of all around good feeling outside. Harry felt a pang of jealousy and yearning for that carefree and blissful feeling. Harry honestly couldn't say how long he had watched the light show from his living room, but when he remembered himself it was almost 10 o'clock. Rubbing his hands over his face with a dismayed groan he finally moved from his spot. This was completely unproductive! He had to come to his senses about this, and not just mope around his temporary space. Throwing on some biker boots, Harry left the house and started down the street. If he couldn't get up the courage to call his friends, then he would ask someone who was a close second. There were less Torchbugs near the street, but enough to ease Harry's frayed nerves.

After a few blocks, Harry turned down a tiny dirt path too small for a car to drive through. He had stumbled upon this particular path when he had first moved here. That was how he had met his landlady, a stout older witch by the name of JoAnne. She had come to be Harry's confidant and only friend in this small town. She lived alone in a small cottage at the end of the path, hidden in a nestle of trees. If there was anyone who could give Harry wise council on this, it would be her.

As Harry got closer, a light from the cabin filled the path. In the doorway, JoAnne was wiping her hands on a towel, a kind smile stretched her thin lips. "I had a feeling you would be visiting me tonight Harry. Everything okay?" her voice was soft, but it still managed to carry down the path. JoAnne had mentioned that she grew up in a small country town in America and her lack of an England accent still made Harry pause. Her auburn hair was tied back into a messy bun. Her eyes were the color of sage. JoAnne was roughly in her late 40's, early 50's. She had a motherly air about her that just drew people to her.

"Everything is as good as it can be. Though I had a visit from my past." Harry replied once he was at the base of her steps. She grinned cheekily.

"Was it that man you're always chatting about?" Harry flushed.

"No, you cheeky woman, it was a former teacher of mine." JoAnne tilted her head and gestured Harry into the small house.

"Best come in and take a seat son. I'll get the kettle on and you can tell me from the beginning." Harry took the steps two at a time and stepped over the threshold. Immediately, the tension just bled out of Harry and his knees turned to jelly. There was always a calming feeling in JoAnne's home. No matter how tense or stressed Harry's feels, every time he visits it just melts out of Harry.

"Feel better?" she steps around him and into her dining area. Harry barely manages to nod and follows after her. She motions her hand at him to take a seat as she sets a kettle onto her stovetop. Turning to face him, she leans against the counter. "Start from the beginning."

"But I already told you the beginning." Harry replies, knowing full well he's being cheeky. JoAnne narrows her eyes playfully at him and tries to bite a smile but it's clearly failing.

"Now who's being cheeky?" Harry had to laugh at that.

"You're right, I'm sorry. I was doing some gardening when my wards started going off. It was my former Head of House at my door. We had polite conversation, but finally she asked me if I wanted a teaching job at the school, since one teacher retired, another had to fill in the gap, and left another position opened."

"Has she tried to find someone to take the job?" JoAnne began setting two mugs down, cream, and sugar on the table.

"She had a few offers, but people still think the job is cursed from Voldemort." JoAnne made a soft thoughtful humming noise.

"I think you should take the job." Harry had to blink at that.

"I'm sorry?" Sage colored eyes rolled at his confused tone.

"I think you should take the job. It's been three years and nothing has changed from you isolating yourself. You can't make this go away by ignoring it. Harry, it would be so good for you if you took this job." JoAnne's hands scooped his up. She gave him a hard stare. "You. Need. This. And I think someone else needs it too. Those kids need you." Harry bit his lower lip. This had not been what he had expected JoAnne to say. "Harry, answer me this honestly. Are you happy here?" He scrunched his eyebrows together in confusion. "Are you happy? Do you have a sense that something in your life is missing? Is there a part of you that is dying to go back?" Harry took great pause at this. He... He hadn't even thought about it that way.

JoAnne released his hands and stood when the kettle began to whistle shrilly. It slowly died out when she removed it from the burner. "Why do you ask me this?" Harry was simply curious
.
"I ask you because you seem to be at war with yourself, even if you don't yet realize it. Harry when you came here three years ago, I knew you were running. Young people don't come here to settle down. They come here to hide. Now I never pried, and you told me everything that you were comfortable with and I never pushed. But now it's time I think I should. Harry, what are you running from? What has you so terrified that you would even think about saying no to this offer?"

Harry bowed his head and stretched his arms across the table with a wrecked sigh. "I'm hiding from myself I think. I'm definitely hiding from my past, what I've done, and I'm hiding from the Ministry too. After Sirius died, I came into some power. Hermione always said it was a Magical Inheritance. But I was able to summon fire without a wand and without a spell. And every year after that, a new element came under my control. It was during the final battle against Voldemort, a man was spying on him for the light. I don't think Voldemort even found out that Snape wasn't loyal. He just tried to kill Snape because he thought Snape was the new owner of the Elder Wand."

"Didn't you say that Snape survived?" Harry slouched back in the chair.

"He did. Only because I came into my final element at the same time and was able to save him by drawing the snake venom from his neck with a chalice the mer-folk from the lake gave me."

JoAnne raised her eyebrows at that. "A chalice?"

"It looked like a silver goblet with blue and purple gems embedded in it. On the outside of the chalice was an engraving of a rune. Hermione looked it up a year after and said it was related to the Cup of Plenty. Calc I think it was called. Turns out it was a druid rune of sorts."

"Ah, I'm familiar with that rune. The symbol represents the Chalice of the Priests. Said to be a healing rune. Water is a healer's greatest ally. It doesn't just heal the wielder, but whoever the wielder keeps close. It's an element of love, compassion, and understanding. Water is a well of emotions. It can be a steady river or a stormy sea. This Snape was lucky you came into that element when you did." JoAnne set the kettle down finally once it had cooled. She poured the steaming water into their cups and placed a teabag into each one. The strong scent just flowed into the room.

"But now that I think of it. I think I'm hiding from Snape as well." JoAnne blinked at Harry as he drew the cup closer.

"Whatever for?!" Harry trailed his finger along the lip of the cup, watching the liquid inside stir slowly, following the digit.

"I don't think he forgives me saving him. I was being completely selfish when I did it. Partly out of instinct, and partly out of a fear being the only one to survive it. I wanted someone who could understand better than Ron and Hermione, Ginny too. I mean they were there, but they were there for me. Snape and I, we didn't get much of a choice. Our fates were thrust upon us without our regards. And..." Harry trailed off quietly.

"And you wanted someone who could sympathize and understand. You didn't want to be the only one stumbling around in the dark." Harry could only nod at that. It was everything Harry could never say aloud, but thought loudly in dark confines of his psyche. JoAnne made a soft sound. "I think I get it. But what if you're wrong? What if he does forgive you? What if everyone understands what happened was beyond your control? Harry, you cannot shield yourself from the 'what if's and 'maybe's life throws your way. You will only have a life of 'what if's, 'maybe's, and regret never getting to know the true answer."

Harry paused at that, the cup halfway to his lips. JoAnne had an older look to her now. There was a phantom in the way her eyes glazed over with unshed tears. "I regret living that way, and it just pains me to see you doing just the same." Harry set down the cup and took one of JoAnne's hands.

"You really want me to take that job." Harry tried for a joking tone but JoAnne was having none of it.

"I want you to be happy." she tightened her grip on his hand fora long moment. "And I really want you to take that job." She burst out into a watery laugh and Harry joined her. "I love you like the son I didn't get to have. I care a great deal for you Harry, you're a kind soul and a gentle heart. I want to see you get everything you deserve in life. You have earned it a thousand times over." JoAnne stood and stepped around the table to sweep Harry into a tight embrace. "You're such a good man." she whispered into Harry's temple.

"I'll owl McGonagall in the morning then. Find out when she wants me at the school and everything I'll need." JoAnne slowly let him go.

"Don't worry about the house, I'll watch over everything until you come back for the summer. Just drop by before you leave."

"You know I will." he kissed her cheek and gathered up his cup and washed it out. "I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow." Harry hugged her one last time and was bustled out the door.

"Go on, you have a busy day tomorrow. Get plenty of rest and a healthy breakfast Harry."

"I will JoAnne, I promise." he waved goodbye at her from the base of her steps and started down the path, back to home. There was a multitude of torchbugs out now. They looked like blinking stars and graceful dancers. Some floated close to Harry so he could reach out to touch them. There were couples that flew together in a courting dance. Part of him thinks that there is no better night than tonight.

He steps into his front door and kicks off the biker boots before heading into the room just before the kitchen. A full size bed takes up most of the space. An eternity knot rug is laid on the floor in various shades of green and blue. Which is the dominant color scheme in the room, set with lightly stained furniture. Harry changes into a pair of comfortable sleep pants and a grey tank top. He lays on his bed over the blanket and sheet, also in shades of green and blue. He listens to the chirping crickets and the tree frogs under his bedroom window. Turning over onto his side he closes his eyes and quietly drifts to sleep.

0