CH 8: Instant kill? How?
864 10 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Instant kill? How :

 

 

What... was......... that? 

.

.

Was it a... coincidence?

.

.

Or was it my.. "not defined luck"?

.

.

I am still alive.

Lying flat on the ground, but still alive...

Above me, this creature is lying with no life.

'It' is DEAD.

It is dead for sure. 

There is no reason for it to 'act' as dead, at least not to me.

I am still in confusion because of what happened.

My skill "Disintegration" actually killed it, that too in an "instant".

 .

.

As I was lying still from shock at what happened, I suddenly remembered about Ashly. 

She was slammed into the wall and fainted right there and then. 

'I need to check her condition.'

I hurriedly slipped away from below it and rushed to check Ashly's condition. I examined her and went into a panic again. She was bleeding from her forehead. 

A head injury.

She is injured in the most fatal place one could get in this dungeon.

'Calm down! She is still breathing and quivering. She is alive. And also this wound doesn't look that deep too, she only needs a first-aid treatment.'

'where did her backpack go'

'Argh, where are you, you little shit!'

 *inhale* * exhale*

!!

'found it'

'hurry, hurry,'

'She used cotton on me, she must have some more of those, right?'

'found it'

'A bandage, cotton, an antiseptic, and water.'

'let's hurry, damn it'

Getting the first-aid items, I hurried towards her. The wound is just above her right eye, which is hidden behind the eyepatch. I slowly removed the eyepatch from her face. Maybe, because of the fresh blood, her scar which separated her eyelids in two, was looking more awful.

'I expected it, but imagining and seeing in real gives a different feeling. She may be getting another scar because of this wound on her face, but she will live, and that is more important than a tiny scar.'

I carefully treated her wound, by first washing it with water, applying antiseptic, putting the cotton, and finally wrapping the bandage on her head. This much is the most I can do for her right now with the resources I could get in this place.

.

.

After taking a few breaths of agony, Ashly's breathing became normal, signifying that she was now just napping. I got up from the ground to know what actually happened.

From what I know, my skill "Disintegration" isn't an instakill skill. The target cannot die until it fully disintegrates into nothingness.

Let's suppose a part of their major organ is destroyed like the brain, perhaps then it might be possible...

 

 

[ ]

    NAME: Jack Anderson      

    AGE: 17

    SEX: Male

    RACE: HIGH HUMAN  

    ORIGIN: EARTH-818

    

 

   _________________________ 

    LEVEL: 1

    PHYSICAL STATS :

    HP: 6/6

    MP: 10/10

    STR: 0

    DEX: 1

    DEF: 0

    AGI: 1  

    INT: 5

    LUCK: not defined

    ABNORMAL STATE: none

                    

  Disintegration lvl 1:

< >

♦ A unique skill, that disintegrates living targets into non-existence. To invoke this skill, you need to verbally call out the skill's activation phrase - "DISINTEGRATE", while aiming at the target that you need disintegrated with the hand. The point at which the skill is connected becomes the disintegration centre. And the target undergoes disintegration with the disintegration point being the disintegration centre. Note, the target does not die immediately once the skill connects, but when, it is completely disintegrated. Note, there cannot be more than one disintegration centre in a single target.

♦ Current disintegration rate: 60cm³/s.

♦ Current range: 60 cm 

♦ Number of shots: 3/3

♦ MP cost: 3

♦ Cooldown period: 3 days

< >

                 

   BLESSINGS:

   Linguistics

< >

 All-father has blessed you with the ability to understand all languages that exist in, EARTH-01Z. You can communicate and write in any language that you already know or have come to know through the blessing. 

 < >

I looked at my wristwatch to check how much time has passed, the last time I checked my watch was before treating Ashly. It has been 8 minutes since then, adding a couple of minutes should mean that 'it' died nearly 10 minutes ago. 

An average human's volume is 0.07 m^3, which is equal to 70,000 cm^3. I only remember this fact till now because it was used often as a parameter in some mathematical problems. 

Judging by its size, this Arachne should have more than thrice as much volume since it has an 'extra-large part' below its waist. That should be something around 2,10,000cm^3, maybe. 

'Hmmm....'

My skill should take nearly 1 hour, to completely disintegrate it, that is, if my assumptions and calculations are right. Still, it wouldn't have died when my skill would just connect, would it? 

I mean even if my skill connected at a fatal spot, like heart, it would still take at least a few seconds to expand to heart. 

But what happened was entirely different, as soon as my skill connected, it slumped lifelessly, that is, dead in an instant.

Now, I am not sure if it really was 'my' skill that killed it.

I am a bit afraid to approach it. 

But I still do it. 

I need to be sure.

Its body is lying on the floor, facing downwards. I pushed it to turn it over. 

It was extremely heavy, or it's just that my stats are too low.

When it finally turned sideways, I stared at it to find where my skill actually hit it. 

It has a peculiar oval-shaped, glossy stone-like organ near its chest, between its breasts. The stone is lustrous and smooth, and it has a hole in the centre. The area around the hole was slowly turning dark and vanished as soon as it turned as such. I guess this is how disintegration takes place.

I touched the hole on the stone to feel if it was expanding or not. Yes, it was expanding, the hole that is. 

My hand accidentally touched its breasts, I quickly wiped my hands with my clothes. Even though its upper body was a human female type, its "boobs" were not arousing at all, instead, they were gross as heck. 

'Hmm....'

I think the answer to why it died so quickly is quite simple when you think about it. 

This stone must be some kind of "core" that the monsters of this kind or possibly all monsters have. No, I have seen the monsters outside this dungeon... they don't have such cores. 

Ah, but the monsters in this dungeon aren't monsters they're the so-called Devils. It must be an organ unique to devils.

It must be serving as some kind of vessel to contain its 'soul' or something like a life force. 

Maybe cracks or gaps must not be present in the 'core' for it to live. 

And my skill made this 'gap' in its 'core', this must be why it died without even getting completely disintegrated.

Well, the data regarding devils, is extremely rare as it was lost as the years passed. So, it's all but a wild guess, but quite plausible.

But I should gain level if I really killed it. Why am I still at level 1?

'Hmmm,'

Maybe killing it this way doesn't count. 

Maybe this status system only judges it as dead when it's completely disintegrated, huh.

'Does this means that there is a weak point in these monsters, a weak point that I can exploit to full with this skill?'  

'But.... it will only help if I can aim precisely at this core....'

"Hehe, I really do have a one-shot skill, huh?"

"Ah!" 

As I was examining its legs, its tip pierced my palm a bit. A drop of blood came out from my palm. I wiped it with my clothes.

It has eight long and thin legs, the tips of its legs are extremely sharp and pointed - like a needle. I guess it helps them to walk on walls and such.

.

.

.

I went back to Ashly and waited for her to wake up. 

!?

'Oh! she is waking up.'

"Hey, are you okay? How are you feeling? Is your head okay, is the pain bearable?"

She winced in pain and touched her forehead, feeling the wrapped bandage.

'Ah! I guess I shouldn't barrage her with questions just yet.'

"I think it's okay. It still hurts a lot. But you have treated it quite neatly, thanks, Jack *gasp* where is that monster? H-huh!!!! d-did you kill it all by y-yourself? "

She asked me while stuttering and pointing at the Arachne, whose only a few body parts were remaining to be disintegrated.

I sighed and replied yes. I explained what happened after she fainted and told her my speculation or guess, on why it happened. 

After I was done filling her in, I heard a *ting* in my head.

When I saw behind after a while, I couldn't find the Arachne that could only mean that 'it' was completely disintegrated and the 'ting' was some kind of notification.

I checked the time, it took about 63 minutes to disintegrate it completely.

'But..'

"What was that? Some kind of <NOTIFICATION>?", as soon as I said the word -> "notification", the status screen flashed out once again.

But this time it was different.

 [ Alerts: ]  

  1. A target successfully disintegrated.
  2. You levelled up.
  3. You levelled up.
  4. You levelled up.
  5. You levelled up.

   .

   .

  100.  You levelled up.

  101.  Skill: Disintegration levelled up.

  102.  You levelled up.

  .

  .

  201. You levelled up.

  202. Skill: Disintegration levelled up.

  203. You levelled up.

   .

   .

  286. You levelled up.

[ ] 

Swiping down to the bottom, I found there were 286 alerts of level-ups!

"Ashly! try saying "Notification" and tell me what you see, will you."

"Y-yes....<NOTIFICATION>...... it says "no alerts", Jack."

"Hmm, this status command wasn't told by that Bitch... There... could there be other commands too? I... think? *exhale* Let me try mmm.... <MENU>, nothing. <menu open>, nothing. <OPEN MENU>, Oh! "

A new screen flashed, it was Grey-Transparent with black texts too.

[      MENU          ] 

  •   STATUS
  •   PARTY
  •   NOTIFICATION

[ ]

A party-system! It is there! It can help us very much. In this dungeon, that is.

Now that I know that there is a certain weak point in these monsters that I can exploit with my skill. 

The chances of us leaving this dungeon alive have shot up to a very high degree. 

But there is always a chance that I miss my aim. 

These monsters must be freakishly strong as that goddess had told us to throw us on one of the deepest floors. The monster won't die instantly if the skill connects to any part other than that stone-like organ. 

This time though, it was pure luck. 

But luck isn't always there. 

Most of all, this time 'it' was just playing with us. 

Yes, it was just playing with us, and that's why Ashly didn't die when slammed against the wall by that Arachne. 

If 'it' was only a bit more serious... yes only a bit, neither Ashly nor I would've survived. 

Ashly is strong, maybe stronger than me, at least psychologically. 

She was able to overcome the paralysis induced by fear much earlier than me. Even while shaking, she did confront the monster that froze me in fear. Not to mention, she also tried to shoot the Goddess on her head. 

If she becomes strong too, our chances to survive here will become twice as much as they are now.  

'let's see how this Party system works.'

I touched the word Party, which was displayed on the screen.

[    PARTY: ]       

♦ A system that enables the user to share the experience gained from killing a non-human target among themselves. To add another system user to your party, users have to say the word "party" simultaneously. A permission screen will be displayed when said so, when displayed, click on the required option.

 Current members added in Party: none

[ ]

Following the instructions written on the screen, I added Akane to my party.  

Now I can see her name, level, HP and MP.

[     PARTY: ]       

♦ A system that enables the user to share the experience gained from killing a non-human target among themselves. To add another system user to your party, users have to say the word "party" simultaneously. A permission screen will be displayed when said so, when displayed, click on the required option.

 Current members added in Party: 

  1. Ashly Evans: (remove)

     lvl 1

    HP: 2/7

    MP: 0/50

[ ]

Her HP is at a critical point, and MP is at zero, huh. I guess she used up all her MP when she used her skill against that Goddess.

She needs to rest, she did plenty in the fight. 

I told Ashly to lie down and rest. I helped her lay down and after that, I proceeded to check my status. 

 [ ]

   NAME: Jack Anderson

   AGE: 17

   SEX: Male

   RACE: HIGH HUMAN

   ORIGIN: EARTH-818

 

          

   LEVEL: 283

  PHYSICAL STATS :

   HP: 1696/1698

   MP: 2830/2830

   STR: 0

   DEX: 566

   DEF: 0

   AGI: 566

   INT: 1415

   LUCK: not defined

   ABNORMAL STATE: none

           

   Disintegration lvl 3

< >

♦ A unique skill, that disintegrates living targets into non-existence. To invoke this skill, you need to verbally call out the skill's activation phrase - "DISINTEGRATE", while aiming at the target that you need disintegrated with the hand. The point at which the skill is connected becomes the disintegration centre. And the target undergoes disintegration with the disintegration point being the disintegration centre. Note, the target does not die immediately once the skill connects, but when, it is completely disintegrated. Note, there cannot be more than one disintegration centre in a single target.

♦ Current disintegration rate: 180cm³/s.

♦ Current range: 960 cm 

♦ Number of shots: 27/27

♦ MP cost: 3

♦ Cooldown period: 27 hours

< >

          

  BLESSINGS:

  Linguistics

< >

 All-father has blessed you with the ability to understand all languages that exist in, EARTH-01Z. You can communicate and write in any language that you already know or have come to know through the blessing. 

 < >

 [ ]

My MP gauge is back to full, which means if I level up, then my MP gauge will refill by itself. That's good.

But that is not the same with HP, huh. That's not good, but I'll have to manage what else can I do, anyway.

'hmmm'

The disintegration rate has increased to 180cm^3/s, huh. Since this Arachne took nearly 60-63 minutes to disintegrate at 60cm^3/s then now at 180cm^3/s it will take nearly 20-22 minutes to disintegrate another one of the same kind, that's quite better. 

A range of 9.6 m, is perfect. Hm, cooldown period has come down to 27 hours, huh, that means a day on this world. These look great, but, what concerns me are my physical stats. So, my stats have been multiplied by the amount of level up, huh. (2*283=566) But Str and Def are still at zero. This is bad if DEF remains zero then I might die with a single punch. 

That time I took a look at Alex's Stats sheet. If I remember correctly, he was an S-Rank Champion and all his stats were above 500 at level 1. And here, even at level 283, these stats are no match against him.

I don't know how much strength he will gain when he reaches a level above a hundred.

I don't know how strong those Apostles are... They are the protectors of that Bitch, they must be stronger than an S-Rank Hero at his prime, as only then they could be called a protector of a Goddess. I don't know much about their origin, but the title itself says a lot about it.

That Bitch wasn't kidding when she said that we'll have a shit growth rate. Even at level 283, I really won't be a match against any of them. 

'But still.... with this skill of mine, Disintegration... maybe, just maybe, we can get out of here alive...'

"Jack, did you hear that?" 

Ashly alerted me of something. 

And yes, I heard it too. 

 

I surged from the ground and raised my right arm towards the only direction from which they could attack us.

Maybe they can smell us. 

Maybe, they came here to get their missing 'family'. 

Or maybe it's just a coincidence.

They are coming.

This time a hoard of them.

They are coming at us.

They will try to kill us again.

But...

But this time, it's going to be them who will feel the DESPAIR.

My stats may be low. Maybe I will die if they even me hit once, but......

I will not give them the chance to attack. I will kill them before they can even realize it. 

They won't even get the time to realize why their kin lies dead beside them before even doing something.

I will <Disintegrate> them before they can even notice.

The footsteps are coming closer.

I see them.

They are too far away.

TAP .TAP .TAP. TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP .TAP .TAP .TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP .TAP .TAP .TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP .TAP. TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP.

They are approaching fast. 

Four on the ground, two on the walls, and two from the ceiling. 

They are coming to hunt us.

But......

now....they're in my range.

*I N H A L E*

"<DISINTEGRATE>" 

           ONE DOWN

"<DISINTEGRATE>"

            TWO DOWN

"<DISINTEGRATE>"

            THREE......

The skill that I had thought to be useless turns out to be the best to have in this dungeon....

"haaah~..."

< D I S I N T E G R A T E >

Thanks for reading!!

Next chapter on Sunday :)

27