Chapter 40: Sachihiro
44 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sachihiro

"How do you know all this?" I ask Kuyoki after an hour of stories and conversation between us. Little Saya quietly suckling on her mother's breast though she's been weaned making protesting sounds and grabbing motions whenever she is removed, I know how she feels.

"You of all people should know that we keep precise records of our history."

"Yes but how is it that your history is so interconnected with the happenings of the Underworld and especially the vampires?" Mira says, happily cooing at Saya.

"That's simple enough to answer. Our ancestral home was in the Underworld I've never been there personally but it's not all doom and gloom down there. According to our records and stories from the people who travel there regularly it’s a very beautiful place."

I grunt at that, I can't really imagine it being a nice place. Most of the creatures that consider humans prey are down there, vampires, ghouls and such are known to inhabit the dark. All the dark affinity creatures of the world are at home there.

A place were vampires, soul reapers, lichs, dark elves, shades, ghouls and other creatures that have a high affinity for the dark reside there. The Underworld, the cavities of the underbelly of Gaia hundreds of miles below ground where an entirely different way of life than the surface way is practiced.

I've been more curious about it than I am now. Never felt closer to such darkness than I am now just being here amongst people that know people that love there. Who'd have guessed I'd ever know anyone outside the Tundra let alone in fantastical places like the Underworld.

Said to be so vast a person could spend a hundred years exploring it and not cover half its area. Said to be as large as 3/4 the size of the surface. With multiple climates and wonders found nowhere else in all of the Seven Worlds.

Asriel returns, bruised as usual. If injuries aren't too serious the healers leave them to be treated without magic, almost all injuries on Asriel aren't classified as serious.

It is very difficult to kill an Awakened I have figured out. Awakening promotes life on Gaia. An injury that could have killed any normal person may sometimes not even debilitate an Awakened. Well I guess a similar statement can be said about an injured Barbarian in the Rage but Barbarians are naturally hard to kill.

This is how the bloody fae fought for so long even with limbs hacked off or heavy hammer blows to the chest. Even a Barbarian in the berserker rage can take less damage than an Awakened that has focused their Awakening mana on strengthening their body.

Asriel's healing rate is phenomenal. I can see how focusing that mana on Awakening magic may be useful. I've seen what even beginner magicians can do. But to focus all of that awakening energy on magic? I find that a very stupid thing to do when I could improve my already able body.

But as Mira says when we have this discuss, 'I don't understand at all'. Though I have been schooled in the topic and many others since I'm still sticking to my opinion. What's the point of Awakening to something you're gonna start out as a completely weak clueless novice instead of what you already find natural.

Mira is healing at a very fast rate from her mana burnout, much faster than either Asriel or the Hiro healers expected. This is due to her phenomenal stomach and the grade food we've been eating these past few years.

Apparently she had invested some mana into her heart and stomach when initially Awakening. Not much, but enough that now she gets more nutrition that is normal from food, especially now that she can digest with open chakra pools assisting. Ether is absorbed easier from digested food and everything has ether. Even mundane people's cells are apparently saturated in ether.

Which is why Mira was initially much weaker than even normal people right after her injuries. She had apparently been divulged of all mana and ether in her body. Forcing her entire cellular system to start absorbing it from scratch. At this current rate though she should be ready to Awaken again in about 20 years, maybe sooner. And that's only one of the perks afforded to her by her super stomach and heart.

Her solar plexus and heart chakra pools are very deep. Very very deep. But we are yet to see where all this leads. For now we are enjoying our time here and learning as much as we can from these people.

But with the arrival of these 'patrons' we've been waiting for. The tempo might just change on us. I'm eager to go home but also like it here. I have been away over two years now. How is ma and da doing, how is Dee doing?

Have the southerners returned yet or are they building a big enough force still. Or did they go the other route and choose to trade or negotiate making the Tundra a semi independent 'state' instead of a conquered 'province'? That's how Sandoria usually do things according to my resident expert.

Mira said with the fae visibly allying with the tribesmen the kingdom would likely try negotiations. I've assured her that the chiefs would insult, bride and provoke a fight any way they can short of invading Sandoria. Especially now that we have found a way to Awaken warriors.

Someday I'll Awaken, suddenly I have no doubt. Well... as long as I don't die before I get the chance.

I'm eager to return to that fight. To test my new found hard earned skills against worthy opponents. I'm a father now and I dread the possibilities if I drag my child into a war zone. Leaving her here is almost equally as unappealing, amongst a people not our own.

Vigdis is a Norseman and as such she should be introduced to the tribes at a young age, raised in her own homelands amongst her people.

What if she awakens her Rage without people to understand and help her through it? What if there are more sinister details to the Hito and their vampire patrons I haven't yet seen?

So much to think about. Maybe I could wait a few more years and learn more of the way from the Hito. There is so much I still need to learn, I mean it's only my 2nd year into our stay I am at the best shape of my life. I feel balanced and wholesome. Complete.

My mastery of the sword and staff could be comparable to that of a veteran warrior at da's age back home. Or maybe Uncle Brian, I'm not sure I could take da yet. But still, it's only been a year of dedicated practice so how much more dangerous could I get with more time?

Though I am a fast learner when it comes to fighting I'm not the best student amongst sensei's current disciplines or even second best. And it’s still only kenjutsu we're learning and that not even at master level yet.

I can only imagine what I will become after learning Zanjutsu, the art of the soul-weapon. I've decided that's what I want for myself. I've been dictated and unwavering in my practice. Even now I only have 30 more minutes before another lesson with Uruka Sensei.

I look to Asriel, having an amicable conversation with Kuyoki and Mira. Helping himself to the tea and making faces at little Vigdis Saya del'Mira.

[Sigh]

We have settled here in our own ways. A place like this could become a second home I guess.

"Tea?"

"Yes please," I hold my empty cup up for a refill then return to my quiet musings watching everyone be.

I've never lived with anyone besides family so long before. I appreciate these people, these friends I've made here but I think it's time to go home soon.

2