Part II – Chapter 14: Brand/Sachi
21 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Brandon
 
I follow my escort of 12 to the edge of the cliff. My horse neighing nervously at how close to the edge I direct it but I really don't mind dying nowadays. I'm so tired of this life and I'm nervously dreading what judgement father will pass on me for killing my cousin, a royal scion.
 
The generals have no authority to pass capital punishment on a Royal or even a member of the Houses, though I did get twenty lashes before being sent on my way. You'd think you'd get numb after the first few strokes. Not the case at all.
 
"Beautiful isn't it?"
 
Captain Arusmus asks as we gaze at the view of Central Province from the cliff, where my sentence will be passed down. I swallow a large ward of saliva, I'm seriously contemplating dying from a fall. Much better than the spectacle it could be once we reach Capital.
 
The central province of Sandoria is quite beautiful though, and its flat enough that from here we can see far and wide. I can even identify two towns, one I can clearly see, the other hidden within a slight valley and woods but clearly identifiable by the plumes of smoke.
 
Central is a valley protected on two sides by the Mountain Ah and Ba. This gives it two deep flowing rivers as the snowcaps melt from the peaks in Spring and natural protection in Winter as the two Mountain passes become difficult to cross. The valley itself is vast and forested resulting in a natural wetland and thick forests that have been culled through the years to make room for towns. The two rivers flow in different directions. One flowing from the mountain Ah and going south of the province. The other from the mountain Bha going north.
 
This geometry resulting in Central Province being the easiest territory to defend of all its neighbouring provinces and the birthplace of the kingdom of Sandoria. Having never been conquered or had any of its cities or towns sacked it boasts Capital, a fortified stone city that has been the center from which all other neighbouring kingdoms have been conquered and annexed into the provinces and states of Sandoria.
 
And it boasts of Urban, a metropolis of learning, art and wealth. The first city build by the wealth the previous kings have acquired through the years of war and conquest. Urban is the biggest city in the kingdom and the richest with merchants and noble Houses varying for influence there. But Capital is still the power base in the kingdom, followed closely by Elysium in recent years. At least according to lectures by Magister Foast, I'm surprised I retained as much as I did from his lessons.
 
Though newly built and still growing the city of Elysium is the most beautiful in the kingdom even being the smallest still, barely larger than a large town. Each building built meticulously planned years in advance to prevent the clutter and claustrophobic atmosphere most cities develop as the population grows.
 
Located between Central Province, Stormhold Province and the Woodland Forest, Elysium is in some ways becoming more central than Central Province. The city growing around the opulent palace and every building design approved by the royal architects before being built.
I grew up there and i grew to love the city I think with a sigh. I will face my fate soon.
 
"Did you hear the offensive on the barbarians will continues soon!" One of my escort asks his comrade. A stern-faced no-nonsense woman who rumour says is a disguised royal guard instead of a soldier.
 
"Yes I heard. A new alliance with the dwarven kingdom beyond the Moari Desert Islands," she says with a nod. My ears perk up at that. I'm sure we killed many thousands of barbarians but they've definitely killed more of us even with an unknown fate looming before me its still an interesting topic of discussion.
 
"That will help ease pressure as the kingdom gathers an even greater force. By the time they think they've dealt with that force we'll be ready with fresh troops.
 
Edgard, the leader of this little escort spits. "Those savages are a force to be reckoned with. But they will surely be ground to dust long before the reinforcements are ready. The dwarves are fielding 200 000 men and they are already halfway to the Tundra.
 
"By the time we head back we will be picking scraps, all the looting already over."
 
"Well that's not fair. Did you hear the number of spiritual weapons found among the dead? At least twenty through the few years of fighting. And so far the kingdom is buying them from the soldiers instead of just taking them. Can you believe that?" Another whose name I don't recall says excitedly.
 
"Its every soldiers privilege to loot the dead, always has been. Only the possesions of the royal foes are turned over to the Generals, and well the barbarians dont have kings so every man can keep what he finds. They would have a riot on their hands if they tried to brazenly claim the loot from us," Edgard says.
 
Another grunts as we continue our journey closer to my death. I hate the barbarians, but at least there I would have died doing something. Not here where my neck will the cleaned for the headsman or the rope.
I tune out the conversation for the rest of the trip. I have my own demons to face now. I still can't believe I slit her throat like that...
 
*
Sachihiro
 
The meeting between the Brave and the chiefs takes place immediately after dusk the day after my arrival. I am back at the strange big building almost in the middle of the city with all 9 of the Brave Blossom vampires facing the chiefs, the elders, the seers and a few fae and dwarves. Asriel I haven't heard from in over fifty hours but I'm not worried.
 
I'm just not used to going so long without seeing him. Strange the things we get used to.
 
"The agreement is understandably in Japanese as Hiro is not literate in any other language." Seiji Hirao says in awkward and accented Sandersonian. A language the Brave and a few of the Hito have been learning in preparation for open communication with the rest of the continent.
 
"Our agreement as it stands is for a fixed amount of celestial ore for certain services, services I am sure Hiro has already explained to you. For the forging of a soul weapon regardless of whether or not the intended recipient dies is charged at 100kg's of ore per person. The fee our help in establishing a foothold and a settlement in the Underworld Hiro has already paid.
 
"For all other trade, that will be a per product cost but can be conducted in normal coinage. But if you build a settlement within our borders we also expect to build a settlement within yours to help trade and discouraging disagreements people our peoples. We require land somewhere within or towards the mountains clearly marked with allowances for growth that will not be a source of contention between our people.
 
"As for our teachings, Hiro and his descendants are the only outsiders who will be taught our ways as things currently stand. And only those descendants born from the Hito people as the mixing of our peoples is something we can make allowances for."
 
"This soul forging seems awfully pricey at 100kgs of raw ore especially considering the risks involved. And the value of such weapons is yet to be truly established to our stisfaction. We cannot agree to such a price." One of the seers says quietly but vehemently.
 
"Can the use of such weapons be demonstrated? Say, a friendly spare to compare normal spiritual weapons with these soul forged weapons." Chief Bjorn of the Savage says with a toothy grin.
The man seems to have gotten larger since Awakening and his aura is controlled but menacing for anyone sensitive to such things.
 
"Certainly. I'm sure Hiro would be more that happy to demonstrate against any for you pitted against him" Seiji says smoothly as Chief Bjorn scowls, cheated from a fight against a new and interesting opponent.
 
An Awakened fighting me one on one would be a quick fight soul-sword or not, or so Bjorn and everyone around him immediately assumes. I'm nervous to test myself against other tribesmen but I'm excited, my stomach seemly dancing within my body. Though my zanpakutō is more malleable and carefree, she is still a weapon of death and I'm not sure whether or not I'd be able to stop myself from killing anyone I faced with her in hand.
 
"Well then if its the youth that will test these weapons I suppose it is fair to go all out," Chief Stomm the Bloodletter of the Norse says leaning forward.
 
"Sachihiro, you will face my grandson Victor who also wields a longsword so the match should be balanced. We will pit your weapon against his and these Hito teachings against waht we know of fighting. Victor has also been getting tutoring from both the fae and highland instructors so I warn you lad. The young man is currently the best fighter we in his age group and a veteran of battles against the Southerners. You have away too long to have been tempered by battle like he has in this war so I advise you put pride aside and think carefully about participating in this demonstration." Chief Stomm says seriously.
 
I try my best to school my face. I honestly try hard, but eventually the grin spreads slowly across my face and my eyes sparkle. This will be fun!
 
"It will be an honour to participate Chief."
 
3