Part II – Chapter 16: Carmella
23 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Carmella

I am building an extra-dimensional room in one of the basements of my new manor. Or at least I'm helping Abbanat build one by anchoring his work in the room. Holding it still as he weaves the casting, and spells necessary to expend the room to accommodate enough space for a thousand people.

My part in the process isn't all that taxing but I know Abbanat is sweating profusely in concentration under his coat. He has only been a practitioner of dimensional magic for 70 years. Not long enough for it to come as second nature, but long enough that I trust it won't collapse with me inside and suck me into a vortex.

Many a fae has disappeared, leaving only traces of a collapsed dimension behind never to be seen or heard from again. So I ensured everyone of my people in the manor knows not to disturb Abbanat and I at this time. Nor let any other person disturb us unless death is eminent.

Which is why I'm so surprised by the sudden appearance of Nadim on my basement staircase that I immediately effect a force field around Abbanat and myself. Standing and charging my horns as they begin to glow slightly and a scintillating appearance of power fills the basement foyer.

Seeing my reaction Nadim bows low and signals through telepathy that all is well. I send my senses out to investigate and find nothing amiss. All the rooms within the manor are as they should be, all my servants and retainers are still decorating or going about their business.

The manor grounds seem fine, the bees I've invited to live with me have selected a tree to build a colony in. The elder oak I personally planted and nourished with mana will Awaken in only a hundred years. The wards I have set against spirits, daemons, wraiths, unknown guests or illusion haven't been triggered.

The more my senses quest out and find nothing to justify the intrusions the more the atmosphere within the basement gets stifling for Nadim as my anger at his intrusion grows. But Nadim is almost 2000 years old and would not encroach on my hospitality without good cause.

I look at him as he stands straight and faces me. He stands 1.9m tall, average height for a Sidhe. His skin tone is the same as the humans but his skin glitters from within in a beautiful imitation of star light. I know his naked body intimately as we had our little affair over 800 years ago.

So I know his entire body glitters in accordance with the constellations of winter. His horns are white and thick, curving backwards from his forehead and twisting slightly in a spiral protecting his mind from ever being possessed and displaying his age for those with eyes to see. Also serving as an extra reserve for pure elemental ether.

Horns may be shaped anyway a Sidhe or even some baseborn fae like. But the thickness or length cannot be fully controlled, resulting in them being good indicators of age or natural talent. But even as thick as his horns are, we both know they are hallow inside.

While I like to disguise my power and age and have directed most of their growth internally when I couldn't curtail it all together. He knows I could punish him for the next two decades for his current slight, he know how thickly dense my horns truly are though they may seem short. Which means though this issue he has brought may not be life threatening, its important.

My power subsides, Abbanat none the wiser as he still concentrates on nothing but the dimension. Nadim nods and steps forward.

"I have discovered something new."

"What is it?" I ask. For us to discovering new things is a novelty but it still doesn't justify the potential calamity he could have caused.

"A new type of magic." He says sternly. Now he has my attention for it is known that there is no new magic to the fae, the oldest humanoid race on Gaia.

"Tell me."

He nods seriously, "It seems the as yet theorized soul magic truly exists."

I digest that for a moment, Nadim waiting patiently before continuing.

"I have just been to a healing session in which absolute restore could not rid the boy of the scares inflicted by a weapon forged using parts of the wielders soul. Even with everything we know of healing the boy is yet to wake.

"The healers have no idea what is wrong with him. But I was personality at the meeting with the vampires as they discussed trading soul forged weapons for celestial ore."

I nod, taking it all in. This is a type of magic our people have been unable to acquire. A fickle magic we have been unsure of whether it can be wielded by humanoids. The few creatures known to wield it extremely dangerous as soul wounds take a very long time to recover from.

Though, everyone that fully recovers always seems to be stronger for having survived. Theories of how soul magic could be used to strengthen fae that have plateaued in their power growth have never been fully tested. Theories that requirements for Ascension are based on the weight of a person's soul more than on personal power.

How else to explain how scholars, alchemists, philosophers, and craftsmen Ascend. Surely no-ones level of craftsmanship could be so inspired and profound that they qualify to Ascend to a higher level of reality by the mere weight of their skill. Their souls have to have enough depth as well.

Or at least that's the prevailing theory amongst scholars that have taken up the topic of Ascension amongst our people. Almost all the fae become scholars for at least a part of their lives. No one can live as long as we do without pursuing a topic of interest to immerse themselves in. Mine being Gaia the world itself, but I dabble in soul research.

How to make permanent structures or how to claim a territory without staying on it a century or more. How her nature acknowledges claimants and the magic inherent in being accept by Gaia. The physical and spirit creatures that Gaia manifests to encourage balance and challenge the species on her. Her rate of growth and restoration of mined minerals, these questions I have been dedicated to answering but I could easily switch focus to my secondary interest.

"I haven't been paying attention to the humans these past few months. Start at the beginning and leave nothing out." I say taking a seat on a sofa indicating for Nadim to do like wise.

 

3