2. The Slave
634 6 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a short time, the girl awoke. As she stood, regaining her orientation, V called out "Its fine, the monster is gone." The girl looked over toward him. "Ah! Eika is very thankful! I thought I was going to be eaten!" V stood in front of her offering his hand "Are you alright? anything broken?" The small girl looked herself over, straightening her long ears, brushing the dust off her simple outfit. "Eika seems ok!" she examined V's outstretched hand in confusion. Seeing her reaction, he dropped his hand "Sorry, back in my wo- homeland, we shake hands as a greeting." Eika tilted her head "Strange, I never heard of that before. I am surprised though, what if someone had a skill or ability that made them poisonous to touch?" That was interesting. So even odd abilities like that existed in this world "Ah, well, I guess that never came up before."

After a moment of strained silence, tears started to appear in her eyes. She grabbed onto V's shirt, all the pent-up emotions flowing out, now that she was safe. "I thought I was going to die! That it would drag me away and eat me while I was still alive!" V awkwardly laid his hand on her head, patting her between her fluffy ears. Unsure how to address what was happening, he attempted to redirect the girl.  "We uh, we should probably leave. Do you know the way out of the forest? I'm not sure if the monster was dead or just stunned. It might come back soon."

Regaining a sense of composure, Eika responded as she sniffled and pointed, "Oh, yes. If we go east we should be able to reach the forest’s edge within thirty minutes or so." V had anticipated that she would take the lead, but she just stood there pointing. After a silent moment, he started off in the direction she was pointing. As she followed behind him, she pulled her ears down over her head and looked down, "I’m sorry I started crying, it’s not something you should have seen." V shook his head "It’s not a big deal, that monster was absolutely awful. Is there someone we should take you to, your family or friends? You should get those cuts looked at, just in case" 

"No, Eika is a slave with no master. You should know that, it’s on my status after-all. I should be returned to the guild. The adventurers who rented me to guide them in the forest did not survive the attack..." She trailed off, quiet as they walked on. V considered now might be a good time to acquire some information on the way things work around here. "Why are you sure I would be able to see your status? I could not see the monster’s status after all." V hoped the question was vague enough to not arouse suspicion, while still providing him with some much-needed information.

"It’s the law! Slaves with no master are not allowed to hide their status! Everyone knows that." Slaves, right, V had been a slave once, but he could not remember when, or why; or how he even gained his freedom. There seemed to be gaps in his memory, that was a strange thing to forget. He responded, attempting to cover his mistake "Oh, well in my homeland we did not have any laws like that." Eika nodded "You must come from a great distance away, do the people in your homeland not hide their status? Is that why everyone feels safe to shake hands? Most everyone here hides their status., you never know who or what might be looking. Although, certain classes can still see hidden statuses. Classes like Scouts get skills that allows them to see the hidden statuses of the civilized races. Classes like mine; Tracker can see the statuses of monsters and beasts. I can only see statuses up to level ten though. That is how I survived the attack by the monster. As soon as it showed up, I ran away, I knew it must have been higher than level ten. The people I was guiding thought that they could defeat it..."

V considered the information, now that he knew you could hide your status, he hoped to figure out how. Sooner rather than later, if he could. "So, does that mean you can see my status?" As soon as he said it, V realized his error in judgement. "I suppose so! I had not looked, Eika did not think someone in the forest would not have a hidden status. Its unco-" The girl fell backward suddenly. "Wawawawa! Divine Champion?! I don't think there has been a Divine Class for ages! I was saved by a Divine Champion! imagine!" Eika had a bit of a wild look on her face, "Wah! Im sorry for getting your shirt dirty! I was crying on a Divine Shirt! Eika Is a bad girl! Why are you out here!? Do you work for someone? A king, or the guild?! Maybe the church, a Divine Class would work for the church right? Well maybe not. You can work for whoever you want! You’re a divine champion after all! Maybe you just like forests? Do Divine Classes like forests?" As the girl manically barreled onward, spouting an endless stream of thoughts, V considered the situation. This girl could get him into a-lot of trouble, now that she knew about his class. For a moment, he considered trying to leave her in the forest, but he decided that it was not really her fault. If anything, it was his lapse of good judgement, and lack of knowledge.

Interrupting her endless words, he spoke forcefully "I need you to not tell anyone about this. I need to keep it a secret, as well as the fact that I don't have any skills." Pulled from her wild ranting, she nodded enthusiastically. "Eika would never reveal the secrets of a Divine Champion, or any Divine Class! Who would?!" She stood back up, dusting herself off once again. V figured that the damage had already been done, he might as well make the best out of the situation. "So, what do you know about Divine Champions, or other Divine Classes?" He asked, hoping to learn some more about what the class entailed. Full of enthusiasm Eika responded, "Well in the legends of the Rabbitkin tribes, they say that those with a Divine class are simply created out of thin air by the Gods! Without parents or families. You cannot gain a Divine class no matter how hard you work or how strong you are. Its special to those created with them! It is also believed they are only sent by the Gods when the world needs to experience a great change." She spoke quieter "Our legends also say that the one the Great Church's once called the "Demon Lord," was a Divine Class that gained too much popularity and power. The church turned on em, concerned they would lose power. The Rabbitkin followed the one they called "Demon Lord" until the day the forces of the church cornered him, and used overwhelming numbers to slay him. That is why for as long as anyone can remember, the entirety of the Rabbinkin Tribe has been enslaved." There was no particular sadness in her voice. In-fact it seemed like perhaps this story was a source of some sort of pride for her.

Although an interesting story, it’s not quite what V had wanted. He was hoping for more practical information. Considering his situation, he figured it was better to continue learning from the girl, then risk travailing to town with his status for all to see. "Well, I can confirm one aspect of your old legends. We are created "out of thin air" as you said. To be honest, I’ve actually only been alive for a few hours. That is why I don't know how to hide my status. Or have any skills. Or, to be honest, know much of anything." Eika did not respond right away, curious V turned to look at her. Her eyes were as round as saucers. "Ah, here we go again" V sighed to himself.

"Wait! you’re a baby?!? I was saved from that monster by a baby?! Well, a Divine Champion baby is different than a normal baby I guess. Oh right I guess you can’t be a baby if you’re not born? Or can you? Who would leave a baby in a forest? Does being created out of thin air count as being left here?" V Let her rant for a few moments before interjecting. "I’m not actually a baby, as you can see on my status I am twenty years old. I’ve just only existed for four hours, I guess. But the main point here, is that I would appreciate if you could help me. I seemed to have been created without basic knowledge. I know basically nothing about statuses, classes, skills, or anything else. Consider teaching me the basics as paying me back for saving you."

"Eika will be very happy to teach you! I do not know everything, but I know the basics! Everyone does. Except you." Eika giggled, clearly still envisioning being saved by a baby. "First, we should probably teach you to hide your status"

18