6. The Inn
326 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Inn had a sign hanging outside. As far as he could tell, it depicted some form of lizard, impaled with a spear. "The Lanced Luskit" was written under the image. "What's a Luskit?" V asked as they approached the door. "No idea, I would guess it’s the thing getting stabbed on the sign." V nodded. He supposed it did not really matter. Stepping through the door of the inn, a boisterous voice greeted them "Ah, Miss Samurai! I trust the night of the green moon finds you well!" A jolly looking man looked up from a front desk. "Oh!" the bruises on her neck surprised him, "I hope you punished the villain that hurt you! Is there anything I can get you? I think I have some herbs around here somewhere, they should help the pain." L shook her head "No thank you, the church has already seen to my injuries. Me and my... companion just want to retire. It’s been a long night." The man nodded and gestured to the stairwell leading up. "Of course! I will pray tonight for your injuries to heal quickly!" As V and L started to walk up the steps, the innkeeper gave V a harsh look. Back in his old world, he would have called it "the stink eye."

"That man quite likes you, eh?" V followed her to the last room on the second floor. "I saved his daughter from one of the giant mantises. He treats me like I gave him the whole world." L shrugged as she opened the door. V tilted his head "Why are there three beds in your room? I was under the impression this was a two man operation." Locking the door behind them, she responded "It is, despite my protest, the inn-keep gave me the best room he had. It happens to have two extra beds." L turned, taking on an even more serious expression. "We are not going to get more private than this. If you’re going to reveal your class, now is the time." V hesitated for a few moments. If she did attack him after learning of his class, this was one of the worst positions he could be in. A locked room, second floor, in an establishment where everyone adores her. Although, at this point there was a chance she might attack him if he didn't reveal his class. Un-hiding his status's he nodded "Seems that way, you should be able to see now." 

After a moment of quiet examination, L responded "This is not going to work if you are not honest with me." V, confused: "I am? It’s all un-hidden." L narrowed her eyes. She doubted the man would hide his skills, not after revealing his class and his blessing, it would make no sense. "Maybe you are just stupid? Did you forget to un-hide your skills?" V pursed his lips "No, I just don't have any. If I was that stupid, I would not have gotten this far." L examined his neutral stance and annoyed face for a moment before responding. "If that is true, the "Mother Goddess" did you a disservice. I doubt the God of Honor would lie. When he snatched my soul from the void, one of the regulations of this game was that each God could only give their champion one, level two skill. According to him however, some of the dishonorable gods may have found a way to bend that rule to give their champion something extra. It was something he warned me to keep vigilant of."

Awesome. The Goddess that brought me here could not even be bothered to give me the bare minimum of aid. Cool. Thanks. Annoyed, V spoke "The "Mother Goddess" did not tell me much. In-fact, it seemed like she wanted to get our meeting over with as quickly as she could. If you did not check, I also have no abilities. Just to head that discussion off; no, I’m not hiding them." L considered the situation for a few moments "I don’t suppose she told you what the effect of your blessing is either?" He shook his head, "At this point I’m starting to just be thankful she told me the three basic rules." L sighed, and in a disgusted voice replied. "Well. Whatever. The Gods will do their own thing, regardless of our desires. We will have to make do with what we have been given. I can’t imagine your Goddess gave you any items or equipment that could help." V held his hands out "Does it look like it? I feel like I’m lucky to have been given clothing."

"Oh, I suppose if your Goddess did not explain things, you would not know..." L took a deep breath before continuing. "Every divine champion was given a special system to carry items. The God of Honor said it was in an effort to minimize "uninteresting busywork." We don't have to lug our belongings around with us. Due to it being a "special" type of system, it is not on the normal status display. You have to simply focus on your possessions. Personally, I found it helpful to envision opening a bag, but you probably don’t need to envision it the exact same manner. As long as the idea is the same." Thinking, V tried to imagine his possessions. The first thing that came to mind was his old safe house, he kept most of his belongings there. The valuable ones anyway. After a moment, he saw a new type of status.

——————
Item Storage: Safe House
Sword x 1
Shield x 1
Bread x 1
Vase of The Mother Goddess x 1
——————

"I seem to have a sword and a shield. And bread? And uh, a vase." L shook her head "Just a sword? No... descriptive elements at all? Shortsword, longsword? nothing?" He envisioned removing a sword from his safe house. After a moment, a sword dropped out of thin air in front of him. He and L examined the weapon. V was no expert on old weapons, but to him it looked sort of… exceptionally plain. He also retrieved the shield and the bread. L spoke, disbelief apparent within her voice "I could not imagine a more generic sword and shield. And the bread for that matter. I suppose if the Goddess did not bother to give you anything specific, you started with an extremely generic item set." V stood in front of the bed closest to him. "I also have a vase, it sounds special at-least." V retrieved the vase, if he failed to catch it out the air, at-least it would fall onto the bed. However, what appeared was quite a bit larger than he was expecting. Closer to a standing cauldron than a flower vase. It appeared on the bed, which creaked dangerously under the weight. As V looked at it, a status appeared.

——————
Name: Vase of Motherhood
Class: Special
Type: Artifact
Description: A great vase containing the power of motherhood.
Granted to those with the Mother Goddess's blessing
——————

Even the normally straight faced L had a hint of a bemused smile. "So, you have a vase full of the power of motherhood. That's nice, I'm sure it will come in very handy in your struggles. I don’t suppose you… have any idea what its purpose is? No instincts on how to use it?" V gave her a flat look. "Sorry, my motherly instincts must not be working." He examined the outside of the "vase." It was quite intricate, depictions of mothers and their families covered every side. A scene of a family enjoying a sunny day, a mother holding a newborn babe, a mother and father watching as their child heads into the sunset. It held a few unfortunate scenes as well. A mother standing over the grave of what was almost certainly her child. A father and child standing next to a woman in a bed, probably the mother, praying over her. "Well, after examining it, I can firmly say it has something to do with motherhood." V was disappointed, but not surprised, by the seeming uselessness of the item. He envisioned putting the vase back into his safe house, the vase disappeared. "You can have the sword. I don’t know how to use it, and you need a new one anyway.

L picked up the weapon. "This is not something I am apt at wielding, you should keep it. As for not knowing how to use it, if you gain the Swordsman class, or something similar, it will help make up for your lack of experience. Though, that is not currently an option, as the best way to train would be in the woods nearby. And I doubt O will allow you to get that far." V nodded and retrieved the sword and shield. He decided to eat the bread, he was somewhat hungry, this was the first thing he had ate since being sent to this world. As he ate, L continued speaking. "It seems as if you have nothing particularly helpful to add to the situation. Regardless, having another divine class with me cannot hurt. And you seem resourceful enough. We cannot face her head on with no plan, she thrives in that sort of environment." V thought as he munched on his dry bread. "What level are the guards around here? You said no one could stand up to her, but even Divine Classes, even ones focused on brute force like O's, could not possibly stand up to four or five people of the same level right? Or heck, she is only level two, I saw a slave master who was level 15. Can't we just recruit a local with a high level to help?" L shook her head "I mentioned this before, but most of the guards are level two, the highest combat class around here is not much better, only level three. The leader of the town guard. This place is about as low level as you can get. It’s probably why a bunch of us started in this region. It’s fairly quiet in terms of danger, the monsters are low level, and so are the people. A great starting place for the Gods' champions."

"Even so, wouldn't a handful of guards be able to deal with her? They are basically the same level." L sighed "Maybe, but Divine Classes are considerably different than normal ones. For example, I started with an ability, "First Strike." The first time I draw my weapon in a battle, I gain a massive boost to my attributes. It pushes them far beyond my current limits. It is how I was able to get in-between O and that little slave girl." That made sense, V had been wondering how she seemed to appear out of nowhere. If she was that fast, she should have been able to beat O easily. As V absorbed her words, she continued "A normal "Samurai" class does not have that ability till sometime after level five, and it also is not as powerful, so while a Divine Samurai's attributes may only be one class higher than a normal Samurai, which is already a rather big distinction, the Divine version has better, and sometimes altogether different abilities.  On top of that, we have all...." she trailed off for a moment "Well. Most of us, have been given a starting skill. Os was "Brute force" which is actually a stronger version than the "Strength" skill. Lastly, we all have a Divine Blessing. I am not entirely sure how O's works, but I am almost certain that it has to do with her eyes turning red for a moment. Mine only activates when I am carrying out actions that are honorable. For example, when defending that small slave girl from O. During those moments, my attribute all increase by one rank. All of these factors combined make me excessively powerful compared a normal Samurai Class. Personally however, even being an extremely combat oriented class, I could only take on three or maybe four of the town guard, and only if I got the drop on them. I would kill one with my first strike, and then hope my higher-than-normal attributes would allow me to deal with the other two/three. Keep in mind, in that scenario, my blessing would not function, due to the fact that I don’t find murdering a bunch of guardsmen honorable."

V took a few moments to sift through all the information that had been dumped on him. "So, when we go against O, will your blessing activate? You are fighting a murderer after all." L shook her head. "To be precise, my blessing only works if I personally find the action honorable. Protecting you, a fellow Divine class, is not something I find honorable. As for O, perhaps the first time I fought her that was true, I was trying to stop a murderer. Now..." L trailed off for a moment, before a bitter look crossed her face "I am ashamed to say it, but I seek her death to not only save her victims, but because I have grown to hate her. I want to see her dead, head at my feet. She reminds me of an old foe on my old world. I have been unable to keep duty ahead of desire." Rather than go any further down that topic, as V sensed it was dangerous, he continued trying to formulate a plan.

"I suppose that O's abilities are even more focused on combat than yours... Do you think we could recruit anyone around to help us? Even if they are not able to stand up to her, to be honest, we need all the bodies we can acquire in order to deal with her." L rested her hand on the hilt of her sword, or rather, where it would have been. "I am unwilling to send people to the slaughter for my own gain! If I was going to do that, I would not need to join forces with someone who is willing to suggest something like that. In-fact, it’s not like I failed to notice you considering abandoning both me and small girl, it was written on your face when I first drove O back. If I had other options, I would never work with someone such as you. I have been cordial up to this point due to a shared foe. Suggest more plans like that however, and I will be unable to continue such an attitude." V threw his hands up. "Sorry sorry! I was just trying to give us the best chance to deal with the situation." A few moments of silence hung in the air before V cautiously continued. "If O has been screwing with this place for a week, I’m sure there are a few guards or victims who would be willing to go against her. We don't have to trick them. We can even tell them that we don’t expect them to survive, tell them it’s a chance at avenging those she's killed, but it might cost them their lives." Slowly L nodded, "I suppose I could accept that. I know a guardsman whose newlywed wife was torn in half while she was gathering herbs. It’s not an understatement to say that he has a death wish now...." she thought for a few moments "I can think of two or three more people who I would be willing to ask. "

Nodding he continued, "I might have an idea, and don’t crucify me here, but I have to ask. Are you really willing to die to bring her down? To throw everything away just to kill O?" L was not happy to be used by this man, as he obviously did not plan on dying, and had no problem sending others to die in his place. However, if he was able to deliver O's head.... "I will do anything to stop that woman, but I will not throw my life away for no reason. You are going to have to make a rather convincing argument." V smiled, for the first time since he got here, he felt like he was in control of the situation. "The first step, is getting you something to cut with..."

14