11. The Jack
294 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
I might be taking a few days off from writing, im a little sick right now. Ill be back though!

As V awoke from his rest, he slowly tested his body. Most of his pain seemed to be gone, not counting his arm.  He supposed he had the church to thank for that. He got off the bed and stood up. As the room he was in had no windows, he had no idea how long he had slept, he assumed it would at-least be late afternoon. As much as he would like to continue resting, there was business to take care of. By this point, the Captain of the Guard should have informed the town of O's "death." He expected that to keep him busy for a day or two. However, before he got caught up in any of that business, he was curious as to L's situation. After all, the Captain seemed both confused and concerned, V had to investigate the cause. Especially since it almost certainly pertained to the God's game. 

As he left his room, a nearby clergyman noticed "Ah! Sir! I'm glad you have recovered! You must have a good constitution, even with the blessing of the church, we thought you would have taken another few hours to feel good enough to walk around. The man called over the older lady who had been attending to V when he first woke up. She looked him over quickly "I suppose you're good enough to be out and about. Remember though, you move that arm around, and it’s going to be a whole lot worse than you want to it be. Don't bump into anything or move it!" The old lady smiled, "I'm glad you were able to deal with the accursed lady. I am not supposed to talk like this, but I hope she finds little peace in the afterlife. She ruined so many lives in this town. It’s a shame only three of you survived to tell the tale." The older woman made some form of religious gesture, its significance was lost on V, but he assumed it was probably a prayer for O's victims. V looked around, the church was not massive, but he did not want to just, wander around and hope he found were they had L. He asked the lady as she resumed her duties "Hey, the Champion of Honor, where is she? I have business with her.

"Ah..." the older woman looked concerned "Surely she is a blessing, sent to us by The Honor on High, although I am thankful for her presence, I wish she did not have to endure such hardships. Her internal wounds were significant, without the blessings of the high priest she would have surely died. As it is, she is in and out of consciousness." She pointed toward a room in the back of the church. "Try not to disturb her much, she needs as much rest as she can get." V nodded "Of course, I don’t wish to make her situation worse." V started to head in L's direction before turning "I was wondering, Is that the God of Honors official name? Or just what you call him?" The old lady chuckled "Oh dear no! The Gods do not reveal their names to us! Well, perhaps to their highest of prophets or champions, but if they have, no one else has ever learned them. However, that is his official title, The Honor on High. Some Gods have multiple titles, some have only one, and a handful of them don’t have any official title." Not particularly helpful information, but interesting nonetheless. "What is the God of Slaughter's title? If he or she has one?" The woman looked grim, "A suitable name, The Red Lord. It is said that blood flows down his face unceasingly. Although he has no official organization or church following him, you can often find worshipers of his in mercenary bands or among the more savage, beastly races. " V mused, not the most creative title he had ever heard, but hey, he was the God of Slaughter, not of creativity. "Thank you for the information, I’ll let you get back to work now."

As soon V entered the small room, he could hear L's ragged breathing. The room was dim, the candles lighting the room had worn down. A young woman was setting in a chair next to L. She had fallen asleep; she had probably been tending to L this whole time. As for L, she was on a bed, larger than the one he had been on, she seemed currently unaware of her surroundings, but her face was contorted in pain. She had kicked off her sheet, and her head was off the pillow. She was not wearing a shirt, they had wrapped her upper chest tightly, but her abdomen was uncovered. It looked bad, real bad. V was not a medical professional but he was fairly certain that the majority of your stomach was not supposed to be a brownish bluish color. It also appeared as if L and been coughing up blood, as the sheets were stained. He gently woke up the woman setting next to the bed. She jolted awake "Ah! I’m so sorry! I just closed my eyes for a...' suddenly recognizing that V was not one of her superiors she relaxed a bit. "Ah, sorry. I’m not supposed to be asleep. I was just so exhausted." The woman looked over at L, "Ah! I have to change her sheets, it looks like she was coughing again..." The woman opened a cabinet and pulled some fresh sheets out. "Can you help me? We need to make sure she does not move much, her lower ribs were cracked and who knows what got busted up inside of her belly." V nodded, he was here anyway, besides he could check L's status while he assisted the woman.

——————
Name: L
Age: 21
Occupation: Divine Slave
Class: Divine Samurai Lv 2
——————

Most of her status was hidden, as usual. V considered the new addition to her status as he assisted in changing the sheets. That was not quite what he had expected to find. Perhaps he could acquire more information on it if he focused on it. 

——————
Occupation: Divine Slave
Owner: V
A slave that has had their Slave status assigned by the gods.
Functions as a normal slave occupation with three exceptions.
1) The occupation cannot be changed or removed
2) If the owner of a "Divine Slave" acquires the "Divine Slave" occupation,
all "Divine Slaves" will be transferred to the new owner.
3) If the owner of a "Divine Slave" dies, all "Divine Slaves" belonging to the owner will die.
——————

Oh. Ohhhhh. That is how the Gods took you out of the running. V could not contain a look of mild disdain on his face while considering the information. He hoped the woman he was helping did not notice his grimace. Not only are surrenders enforced, quite firmly, by the Gods, it also seems as if your life is tied to whoever you surrendered too as well. V found it somewhat interesting that if he was to surrender, both him and L would be ...transferred... to the individual. Perhaps this was to incentivize forcing surrenders. This "game" would probably be more exciting if there was a ton of champions fighting each other, rather then it coming down to a one v one. As him and the woman finished changing the sheets, he wondered what other systems the Gods had worked into their game. He hoped to discover them sooner rather than later. He also needed to figure out what the slave occupation actually...did. V figured that certain implications were obvious, but being a world with magic and status, and mantis gorillas, and who knows what else, he figured it would be better to check rather than to assume. He would have to go back to the Shivering Shackle at some point and speak with the owner.

"If you keep looking at her like that, I’m going to report you to the head priest..." the woman spoke while looking at V with suspicion. "Ah sorry, I was just thinking about something else, I did not even really know where I was looking. ha...ha.." Great. Now this woman thinks he's some kind of weird pervert. "Thanks for taking care of her, when she becomes lucid, let her know I went back to the inn would you? I'm sure she will want to talk about our fight." The woman nodded, still looking at him weirdly. "Do you know where the guardsman that came in with us is? I would like to visit him." She nodded "I believe he is actually just one room down; he should be awake but...." the woman trailed off. When it became apparent she did not want to finish her sentence, he thanked her and left the room.

The room of the guardsman was well lit, it even had a window, although it was mostly covered. He wished to see the guard not out of a sense of responsibility or comradery, but rather out of respect. The man did better in the fight than he had expected, and he took O's knee to his face and survived. The man deserved a clap on the back. Although awake, the guard was still in bed. He was sitting up, but his head was almost entirely bandaged. Luckily, one of his eyes were free from coverings. When he noticed V, he sighed. The guardsman picked something that looked a little like a slate and chalk. Ah, ya, it made sense to V that he would be incapable of talking. The man wrote a message and displayed it "I'm alive, somehow. I should have died. They say that my life was given to me by the Gods, that there was no way I should have survived." V nodded, he agreed with that last part at least. The man continued to erase and write. "Fragments of my jaw were sent through the roof of my mouth. Far enough up that they pulled some it of out of my nose, which was also destroyed." V was unsure how to respond "Well uh, that's... horrible.  You look like your uh, doing well now though. Relatively." After a few seconds of writing; "Even with the help of the head priests blessing, they say my face is utterly ruined. I suppose I’ll have to beg on the street, the town monster." V shook his head, "Actually, you will probably be promoted. The Captain is of the belief that the three of us are going to be hailed as local heroes." The man's head fell backward onto the pillow as a mangled sigh emanated from him. The man wrote, "I should have died. Not just from my wounds. I should have gone with my wife." Although V was not especially concerned about the guy, he thought he owed the guy at-least a little bit of pity. He was a big help after all. "Look, it’s not like your wife would have wanted you to die. I'm sure she wants you to live. Maybe she convinced the God of whatever afterlife she's in to spare your life. Maybe that's why you’re alive." It was hard to judge the man’s reaction, with his face all bound up as it was. "Thanks, I will think about it. I’m going to rest for a while. I’m sure I will see you around town." V nodded; the man had had enough for now. V could hardly blame him.

As V exited the room, he figured he might as well see what that ability he had gained from leveling up was. Not that he expected to be attacked on the street, but you never know. He focused on his status and class,

——————
Class: Divine Champion 
Lv 2
Experience 210 / 200000
Attribute Scaling
Abilities
Hide [x]
——————

——————
Class: Divine Champion Lv 2
Abilities:
Jack Of All Trades.
——————

It was nice to not have to see "none" anymore. Although, he still had not gained any skills. He focused on the ability, hoping that it had an actual explanation, not like the blessing of the woman he had tried to examine.

——————
Ability: Jack Of All Trades
Grant's the user the "Enhancement" skill upon use.
Can be used to change the target of "Enhancement" to any attribute.
——————

Interesting, it was an ability, that granted him a skill. He would have to ask L, when she recovered, if that was normal. As how to activate it. He figured most of the things up to this point had simply been at will. So, he simply willed Jack Of All Trades to activate. Looking back at his primary status, he indeed acquired a skill.

——————
Name: V
Age: 20
Race: Human | Other
Class: Divine Champion Lv 2   210/200000
Skills: "Enhancement: Strength Lv 1"
Blessings: Blessing of the Mother Goddess.
——————

He focused on the skill, hoping to get an explanation.

——————
Skill: Enhancement: Strength Lv 1
Increases the attribute scale of strength by one rank.
——————

V checked his attributes, to confirm he understood the skills effect.

——————
Class: Divine Champion Lv 2
Attribute Scaling:
Strength: A
Agility: B
Constitution: B
Awareness: B
Willpower: B
——————

That was rather helpful. V considered Eika's words, she had told him that skills worked with any class you had, but abilities were locked to classes. However, this ability gave him a skill. In theory, he should be able to keep this "Enhancement" skill if he were to use a different class than Divine Champion. V mused; this should make it so any class he gained would start with one attribute rank higher than normal. He experimented with activating his ability, he shifted it from strength to willpower, to awareness. Each swap took a few seconds of concentration. For the time being, he decided to leave it on constitution, he had no evidence to support this, but he liked to believe a higher constitution rank would help his arm recover faster. He was unsure how powerful this ability actually was. Sure, it was useful, but how much better was a rank A than a B, or a C than a D. He would have to make inquiries into it. Maybe L would know, and if not, he was sure he could figure out a way to ask about it without arising any suspicion about his lack of knowledge.  

8