41. The Blessing of Wisdom
58 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As they passed through the door of the plainly decorated home The Champion of Wisdom, or J as he claimed to be called, moved his right hand in a gesture that V could only describe as a hearty wave. The walls and door shimmered behind him, the wood taking on a slightly reflective quality. J spoke up as Eika rubbed her hands on the wall "This way we will not be overheard, or disturbed. We can talk without concern." V shrugged, he assumed that J's ability to teleport came from his class, rather than the Blessing of Wisdom. And based on what he had learned about the magical classes from the enchanter back in the starting town, one of the higher-level mage classes had "spatial magic." Bearing that in mind, it followed that spatial magic could be used to secure a location. However exact method of securing the location, V could not guess. "So, what requires us to be inside of a sealed house to discuss?" V turned to look at J, who was pouring himself a glass from what appeared to be a crystal decanter of some sort. Perhaps it was some form alcohol. V wondered if J lived here, or he was just availing himself of someone’s house they had broken into. "Well. To be frank: I require your help."

V raised his eyebrows, and rolled his eyes. "Out of curiosity, why would you need my help for anything? I'm sure you alone are stronger... way stronger, than me, L and Eika combined. You could easily kill us I’m sure." J chuckled to himself for a moment, the meaning of the laugh was lost on V, perhaps some hidden joke or memory. "Well first of all. I never kill. I prefer to believe that before I died and came here, I had ascended beyond that base need. I would not stain my hands with the blood of another sapient creature. However, even though I myself might have ascended past such needs the world, or perhaps the universe, has yet to achieve such enlightenment. Therefore, killing is still a very much important part of the day-to-day workings of said world. To this end, I simply get others to carry out the task of killing those that must be slain." V absorbed the man’s words, that was an... interesting philosophy. Not exactly a hypocrite, a pacifist who gets others to kill for him, so that he may remain clean. He apparently considered "causing someone to die" and "killing someone" to be a different situation. "I suppose this is why you wished to talk to me? To have me kill someone for you?" J laughed as he swirled the clear liquid around in his glass. "Well, sort of. As you already are keenly aware of, you are not... shall we say... particularly threatening. You must be wondering why then, have I called on you for help? Well, the short answer is that you are the only one who has any chance of working with me, as well as being able to counter a certain blessing, within the time frame I have remaining to solve the problem. If I had an extra week or so I certainly could have used a less direct method of solving my... problem. However, I can only do and see so much at one time, and something slipped my notice...." J stared out of a nearby window for a moment before continuing.

"Regardless. The fact is, only you and your..." He looked at Eika and smiled "Companions have the potential to save the city now. However, you currently lack the strength needed to even survive the ordeal... You see, in three days this city will be destroyed, and almost every champion currently residing here will be slain. I of course could escape before this happens, however the loss of this city and of so many champions is unacceptable." V listened passively, he had planned to leave the next day after retrieving the poison, hopefully, from the alchemist. However, for the time being he was interested in knowing what J's plan was, considering he himself already stated that him L and Eika lacked the power to help him. Eika, for her part, looked worried but was trying to keep a brave face. She thought that it was important to pretend to be brave in front of people who might be your enemy. "What disaster has the power to destroy a city full of champions? Is it the Mad God's champion? We met him once, to be honest I find it hard to remember the encounter clearly, but I doubt we can beat a boy who has the power to remove blessings at will." J shook his head "Ah. No. In this case that is not the disaster. Regardless, at the moment I do not have a way to deal with him. What could reduce a city of champions to rubble you ask? The Champion of Violence. In three days’ time, the Champion of Violence will arrive and bring the city to its knees."

Eika's brave face wavered at mention of the Champion of Violence. Even just his title made the air taste strange on her lips. She shuddered as V spoke up "War, Violence, Slaughter. There are quite a few Gods of similar theme aren't there?" J nodded darkly "Of course there are. In a universe where the Gods despise each other, for the most part anyway, did you think that the majority of them would be friendly and comforting? In a universe of aggression, the aggressive thrive, and survive." He waved dismissively and continued "Your ignorance notwithstanding, you and yours are the only people I can count on to solve this problem given the short amount of time available to us. However, in order to... resist him, you are going to need to acquire three more letters in three days. Two if you are willing to use the E you have promised to the girl for yourself. Eika looked around "Eh! But I want to be a divine ranger. It was going to be so cool!" J laughed "Yes, it would help you in the long run. It sounds like a helpful class." V on the other hand, furrowed his brow, "How do you know so much about us? Even our private conversation seems to have been heard by you." J paused a few moments before sighing. "My blessing allows me to know most of the past, and some of the future. For the gaps I either fill them in myself, or use my class to discover them."  If J was not extremely out of V's league, he might have punched him in the face for such a half-assed answer. For now, though, he simply had to suffer in silence. It was more obvious now than ever; J was completely above V in every foreseeable way. "Even if I only needed two letters, you act as if I can just run out and buy them real fast. Besides, I have not agreed to help you yet."

Tapping his glass, J sighed again "If you help me, I will show you the way to acquire the three letters you need. Is that not more than enough compensation? Plus, due to your ignorance, I will have to reveal a certain aspect of the letters to you. Power, information, what more could you possibly want for aiding me?" V nodded, normally that would be enough for him to take almost any deal. However.... "Not quite. I have to know why you are doing all of this. I have met a few eccentric champions, not all of them seem interested in trying to win this game as quickly as they can. War, for example wishes to win in a way he considers honorable. Are you simply biding your time? Perhaps I am dancing to your tune in a way that, in the end, moves you closer to winning this game in the way you desire." J smiled slightly "Well at-least you seem to have a few fragments of brain between your ears... I have no intention of winning the game. It is a matter that I will not elucidate further. Perhaps if you become... more than what you currently are, I will share my goal with you. However, know that right now, all I wish to do is keep certain Champions from winning. Violence, for example. Time is another. The Champion of Life is another, but she was already taken care of." At the mention of the Champion of Life, something prickled at the back of V's mind. Something about it bothered him, but he could not determine why. Perhaps it was the way J said his title? Perhaps it was something else... "If Violence destroys this city, he will become something that very few of the current high-level champions can deal with."

Eika spoke up, a strange fire in her voice. "I think we should help him! We are weak right? He will help us get strong. Also, Eika likes the city! We can’t let everyone inside die! What about the nice shop keeper lady?!" V looked at her a moment before nodding. "Then if I accept, what do we need to do first?" J smiled as he put his hand on the window "Wonderful. Simply wonderful. Frankly I was unsure of your cooperation. It would have made all of this a massive, massive waste of time. You need to acquire an "L" a "T" and a second "E." he gestured toward the window "First, before we get started, come and watch the sun with me. It is about to sink below the city walls. I always found the setting of the sun to be such a poetic thing. An end to the day, and the start of the night..." V rolled his eyes, but he figured it was best to indulge J in his desires. He stood next to the window, it was indeed a great view of the city wall and the sun. As the sun's rays spilled over the walls, through the window, and onto the two of them V took a deep breath, the shadows in the room drew long, and V was ready to start whatever nonsense J had conceived of. 

Suddenly, Eika started screaming "NOOO!!" As V started to turn around, J was already moving, glass in hand, and splashed it over V's shoulder. A man screamed in pain. Whipping around, V was standing inches from the Champion of Darkness, in one hand he held a spear, the tip of which held a scrap of V's clothing, he must have tried to do the same thing to him as he did to the Champion of Life! The Champion of Darkness's other hand was holding his face as he backed up. J smiled "It would appear that even demi-gods can still be hurt by a glass of hydrochloric acid. Coming from a technologically advanced world has its advantages..." As the Champion of Darkness reeled backwards, V realized that he had never actually seen J drink any of the clear liquid, he must have known the whole time that this was going to happen? Either way, V drew his sword, a few shadow clones were already forming inside the shadow filled house. "Yes well anyway, moving on. Do make sure you get the killing blow please." J spoke to V as he lifted one hand upward. A massive, blinding light emanated from his hand; the shadow clones seemed to struggle against the blinding light. Not outright killing them, but causing them to form into half formed beings, rather than a full clone. With his other hand, he snapped his fingers, the soft noise was followed by a loud cracking noise. V had heard this before; it was the same noise as when J had teleported away with O.

 

3