42. The Sacrifice
85 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The moment J finished his spell, for a moment it was like time stood still for V. His brain working overtime to comprehend the situation. V had thought that J might have been about to teleport away to safety, or perhaps teleport them to somewhere adventurous to fight the Champion of Darkness in. However, what he did not expect, nay, even comprehend immediately, was J teleporting O into this situation. And yet, there she stood, massive as ever. Her missing arms replaced by some sort of golden material that otherwise looked like her old arms. V wondered for a moment if everyone in the room was being ambushed by everyone else, a truly chaotic situation. Despite V's suspicions however, O immediately launched herself toward the Champion of Darkness. A loud cracking noise emanated from their collision, although V could not tell who it came from. O was roaring, Eika was yelling, The Champion of Darkness was swearing, V was standing there frantically reassessing the situation. Through it all, J simply stood calmly observing the house, one arm still raised in a beacon of light. A few of the malformed shadow clones assaulted V, forcing him to defend himself. At the moment, O seemed to be on their side, perhaps that was why J told him to "Make sure to get the killing blow." There was no risk of J killing the Champion of Darkness, but O certainly would.

As O and the Champion of Darkness rolled around in a mess of shadows, bodies, and blows, V tried to move toward Eika as he fought the broken clones. She only had her sling with her at the moment, and neither of them had time to put their leather armor on. For the moment however, Eika seemed to be capable of dodging the malformed clones. Their capacity for violence was greatly diminished under J's light. "The girl will survive! But not if you do not kill the Champion quickly!" J shouted over the chaos. V considered his situation; J was probably right. Eika at the moment seemed safe enough, but there did not seem to be an end to the shadow clones, eventually they would all be overwhelmed. Well, perhaps not J, the clones avoided getting near him, trying to stray away from his light. Nodding, V set his sights on the mess of O and The Champion of Darkness. Their fight however, was absolute chaos. The Champion of Darkness seemed unable to free himself from O's grasp, at the same time however, O had seemingly entirely disregarded her own safety. Multiple weapons of different types stuck out of her in varying angles, the Champion of Darkness was summoning weapons much like he summoned shadow clones. Although the weapons seemed more real, less shadow. As V attempted to calculate the best way to... .... assist O... he supposed, he realized that he did not really need to worry about O's safety. He waded through the shadow clone’s half formed bodies toward the large vessel of clear liquid.

Eika was dodging and hopping all around. She wanted to help V, not O so much. However, she had no weapons to use! Eika's anger started to rise as she thought about how the Catkin have claws all the time! They can always help people! She continued to dodge and scamper all over the place like a mad-hare. When she noticed V trying to move toward her, she felt even worse. Not only was she unable to help, V was wasting time trying to help her instead! In her mind, Eika thanked J when he redirected V's efforts. She wished she was a Divine Champion! Maybe then she could help V and L. They always did so much for her, and what did she do? Listen around? Eika's thoughts started to pick up speed, a frantic energy infecting her. What if one day they are counting on her and she fails? What if she can only hide? What if perhaps they die because of her? Because she was not strong enough? What if Eika lets them down, like Eika let her mother down?! As a panic and maniacism started to overtake Eika, she heard scraps of a voice, only barely audible. "Pain...... desire? Family…... Sacrifice?" She looked around, searching for the source of the voice. Perhaps it was that strange lady man girl again?

As V grabbed the container of acid, his movements became slower, on account of not being able to run around and dodge while carefully holding a jug of acid. A few of the shadow clones were able to strike at him with broken weapons and splintered objects. Luckily the damage was not heavy enough to slow him down much, and he had already changed his B in Constitution to an A the moment he had a second to think. As quickly as was viable, he tried to get close enough to the two champions who were wailing upon each other with abandon. O still held him with one arm, and was smashing her elbow down upon him with the other. Cracking noises were coming from both her golden arm, and the spots she was hitting. V wondered at the Champion of Darkness's durability, but acid had worked before... so... As V got close enough, he threw the container with all of his might at the both of them. It shattered on O's shoulder, most of the contents spilling downward onto the Champion of Darkness. As he screamed in pain, V felt him activate a Blessing. Since the clones had never triggered that feeling before, V had to assume this was a blessing from one of the other Champions he had slain. Before V could get any further however, pain exploded in his body. It felt like every fragment, every cell, every fiber of his being was being burned alive. The pain immediately sent him to the floor screaming. J was force to his knees, but he still maintained his light, silently. V could no longer see Eika from the floor, but hoped she was somewhere the shadows could not reach her. O on the other hand, was laughing hysterically "YES! Yess! Pain is the truest form of living! It has been some time since I felt like this!" 

The air suddenly took on a metallic smell, red seeped into the edges of O's eyes. Before the Champion of Darkness could react, she brought her knee towards his chest. A horrid tearing and ripping noise issued forth from the Champion of Darkness. O had been holding him in place with her grip on his upper right arm. It seemed as if the Champion of Darkness had managed to defend in some way, as his chest was still in-tact, his arm was in-fact not. The Champion of Darkness flew backward into the wall, his arm separated at the shoulder. O threw Darkness's arm at him, however it only smashed against the wall of the building. Darkness had dissolved into a shadow upon contact with the walls. O muttered "coward" under her breath as she tore a few of the shadow clones to pieces. V could still only barely move, the pain in his body persisting. J gasped out "He is still here; he cannot leave the building while I’m alive." As the shadow clones moved toward V's helpless form. He desperately tried to regain control of his seizing body. At that moment is when he saw it, one of the shadow clones above him had swapped places with the Champion of Darkness before hitting the wall. The Champion of Darkness grinned a bloody smile as his remaining arm brought his spear down toward V's throat.

Suddenly, V felt a blessing activate from somewhere. He could not determine the location of the activation. "NO! EIKA WILL NOT LET YOU TAKE ANOTHER ONE OF EIKA'S FAMILY!" What V could only describe as a blurry missile slammed into the Champion of Darkness. Somehow knocking the wind out of him. "Ugh?!" The Champion of Darkness gasped in confusion as he stumbled backward. The next thing V witnessed was another projectile. However, this time it was clearly a table thrown by O. It exploded into splinters when it collided with the Champion of Darkness, between the trauma's received in the fight, and the wild amount of blood he was losing from his torn-out arm, Darkness was starting to falter, he stumbled backwards as O moved toward him. She picked up a chair as she walked, once again rocketing it into him at speeds that would have caused every bone in V's body to shatter, should he have been the target. V was unsure if he was simply getting used to the pain, or it was starting to lessen as the Champion of Darkness weakened. However, he grabbed his sword and drug himself toward the retreating Champion of Darkness. This was the second time he had to drag himself after a champion who was running away. V had been hoping that was a onetime thing.

O picked up a nearby table, driving the legs through the Champion of Darkness. V realized it was now or never, if he could not even defend against wooden table legs, the man did not have much life left in him. V pushed through the pain in his body, every ounce of his being devoted to slaying the Champion of Darkness. As V stood up, ready to plunge his sword into the Champion of Darkness's heart, O hesitated for a moment. Her gaze shifting between V, Darkness and J. It was clear she was considering the validity of killing both V and Darkness at the same time. However, after a second of hesitation, to V's frank disbelief, she did not pulverize either of them. Pushing his sword into the Champion of Darkness's heart V wondered what J must have done to convince O to work for him. He was unsure O would have done anything out of gratitude for saving her life, at the moment, it did not really matter. The Champion of Darkness struggled in vain for a few moments against V's sword. It was both pathetic and impressive. The man had table legs inside of him, his heart was stabbed with a sword, his arm had been torn out for a little while, and yet still he did not die. V withdrew his sword and stabbed him again, and again. Even when the Champion of Darkness stopped moving, V continued to stab him. Nine stabs later, a status message appeared. "Take his L and his class!" J directed.

┌——————┐
Your level in "Divine Champion" has increased!
4 => 5
Ability Acquired:
One for All

 

Congratulations! You have killed a rival champion!
Please Choose Your Reward!
1) William's Blessing
2) William's Divine Class
3) One letter of William's Name
└——————┘

V was unsure as to why he was supposed to be taking his class, but at this point, he figured it was best to go along with J's advice. Although... It did not say anything about two rewards... V selected the Class, figuring that, if for some reason, he was only allowed one choice, the class was harder to come by then another letter. In theory anyway. After his selection, a blessing activated.

┌——————┐
Congratulations! You have slain the Champion of Darkness!
Paying out Bounty:

Please Choose Your Reward!
1) William's Blessing
2) William's Divine Class
3) One letter of William's Name
└——————┘

V idly wondered what would happen if he chose his class a second time. Would it give him a level in the class? Would he have two of the same class? Is that even possible? Would the whole system just glitch out and break down? Rather than find out, he simply took the L as instructed.

┌——————┐
You have fulfilled the requirements to become the Divine Weapon Master Class!
Class: Divine Weapon Master Lv 1 0/700
Attribute Scaling:
Strength: A
Agility: A
Constitution: B
Awareness: B
Willpower: S
Skills: "Weapon Lore Lv 5"
Abilities: Forceful Use
└——————┘

┌——————┐
Added to Item Storage "L"
└——————┘

Well, V was excited to see that he acquired some sort of highish level skill. He would have to check out what in the world "Forceful Use" was. It sounded uh, well, it sounded weird. In theory it was better than his Divine Champion Class on all accounts.... "Is this why you wanted me to take his class?" V asked out of reflex, however he quickly realized there were other things in the room more pressing. First, where was Eika? He looked around, Eika was sprawled out on the floor, bleeding from her head. "She will be fine. No need to... worry." J staggered over to her and waved his hand over her head, the wound healed almost instantly. He stood up and nodded to O "Thanks, that about makes us even. I’ll let you use your new arms for as long as we stay on good terms." O nodded, a sour look on her face. "I assume you intend to keep requiring my services in exchange for finding a way to restore my original arms?" J nodded "That would be the arrangement yes." O spit on the ground and shattered another piece of furniture, "Fine but I swear if you lie to me, I’ll crush you just like I crushed Darkness." O turned and kicked the door of the house into pieces, "By the way, that alley fight was quite entertaining. I will congratulate you on your victory." She then stomped out of the house.

J sighed "To be honest, I was both hoping that she would come around, and at the same time, expecting her to be much worse." V was still somewhat amazed that J convinced O to help him carry out this plan. Although.... O did understand teamwork. She had been trying to recruit L at first, rather than kill her. By the sound of things, O's arms were only working because J was allowing them to work? He supposed that would be a good motivator to work together. "Well, either way. That worked out well enough." J looked at V, who was still gasping from the pain Darkness had caused. It was gone, but the after effects on his body would take a little bit of time to dissipate. "I trust you did not do something foolish like take his blessing two times in a row and disregard everything I told you?" V looked at him in confusion "If you thought I was that stupid, would you even have worked with me in the first place?" J shrugged, "As I said, there are many things I would rather not be doing. Like killing or causing death, but circumstances demand sacrifices." J looked out the nearest window for a few seconds. "It's dark out..." he furrowed his brow, as if concentrating. V took the few moments of silence to recover, and to pick Eika off the floor and lean her against the wall in a setting position. "So, what now? Do we go find the next letter?" J shook his head "It’s dangerous to do anything like that at night. There are other dangers in the city than darkness. For now, return to your other companion. Give her the I and the L. Tell her to use them. Oh, and be careful when giving them to her. They will have a... semi physical form while handing them over. They are.... uh... volatile." V nodded slowly "I suppose I can’t use them on her directly? I could with Eika." J shook his head "You can use them on non-Champions, but in order to stop anyone from getting around various rules or restrictions, it’s impossible to use a letter on another champion. Even if they have surrendered to you. I don't exactly know the details..." V thought about it, if it forcefully brought up a status window, like it did with Eika, perhaps you could quickly spam offer it to someone, distracting them with "pop ups" so to speak. That would be kind of lame and dangerous.

"Tomorrow morning, head to the noble quarter. In one of the alleys there you will find your second E." J looked at the mess of broken furniture and glass as she shook his head. V waited for more information, but J seemed content to ignore him. "Uh... is that it? Nothing like... battle tips or anything?" J looked back at him "Hum? Oh. No nothing like that. You and your companions will be able to deal with it easily. Just make sure you have some way to cleanse curses. Otherwise, it will be rough." V looked at him blankly "Oh right. Let me just use my "Blessing of finding ways to remove curses" real fast." J rolled his eyes. "I suppose I really do have to do everything around here." He tossed a small vial of clear liquid to V. "It will un-curse whoever drinks it. It’s a cure, not a preventative. So, you will want to drink it quite quickly after you slay your second E. Otherwise you will have some problems.

3