43. The Sword
63 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

V hesitated before leaving the house, the whole situation was strange. Up to this point, V had not had a moment to really think about what was happening. J's level of power, O working with him, J's apparent lack of desire to win the game, but obviously high desire to influence the game. Besides that, there was Eika's sudden ability to give any pause at all to the Champion of Darkness. Darkness had taken multiple direct blows from O, and had suffered little damage to the locations struck. However, Eika was able to stagger him simply by throwing herself toward him? Who's blessing activation preceded Eika's actions? V's thoughts swirled as he tried to categorize and sort through all of the recent information dumped on him. J could see the future and past, supposedly, but not immediately, otherwise he would not have had to ask V if he chose the right rewards from Darkness's death. He looked at J for a moment wondering if he could just surprise him, running him through the heart. Although, that was not enough damage to slay the Champion of Darkness immediately, and J's magical abilities would surely end V's life quickly if he even had a moment to react. Would J kill to defend himself? Would he incapacitate him and let some other Champion kill him? That seemed more likely... V continued to think as he waited for Eika to awake. He could not carry her, two sets of armor, and a wrapped sword at the same time after all. As he waited, he checked his new abilities.

——————
Ability: Forceful Use
Grant's the user the ability to wield any weapon regardless of requirements.
Bloodline, Racial, Divine, Magical, Class, or Other restrictions are waived.
——————

Huh. That was interesting, if again, not immediately useful. It at-the very least confirmed that weapons with those types of restrictions existed. V assumed any weapon that was restricted to a specific family or race or otherwise, would probably be some form of legendary artifact. He was more interested in the skill he had received, as skills by their very nature of being universally usable were more versatile.

——————
Skill: Weapon Lore Lv 5
Allows the user to view the expanded statuses of weapons.
——————

Ah, it must function similarly to Eika's "Beast Lore" ability. He wondered if the non-divine class version of Weapon Master gained this as an ability, not a skill... V's gaze drifted over to L's sword. Unwrapping it just enough to view the blade, he tried to bring up its status window.

——————
Name: Unknown
True Name: T
Class: Artifact
Class: Divine
Type: Infused Katana
Type: Possessed Katana
Description: A Sword from another world, it carries the weight of duty upon its blade.
A sword that has been infused with the divine energy necessary to traverse dimensional borders.
Originally belonged to a renowned mortal who was slain, then passed into ownership by a Divine Champion.
Belonged to the greatest female warrior of her age, is still in use after her reincarnation.
The sword has been infused with the remnants of a great warrior.
Due to the Sword's cross dimensional nature, an infusion of spirit energy has had unintended enhancements and changes to the blade.
Properties:

 

 

——————

V's mind reeled with information. First, parts of the item’s status were clearly being shown in a different type of text. He figured it was safe to assume that the visual distinction was between the "normal" information, and the information given to him by weapon lore. Secondly, it was clear that the "normal" status of the weapon was outright lying in some places. The blade was possessed apparently, it also held a single letter name like Divine Champions... The properties section was empty, if he had to guess V assumed that it required a higher level in the weapon lore skill to see, as even just the word "Properties" was presented in the alternate text style. Another interesting aspect was that the status claimed that to traverse dimensions, it required divine energy. He doubted this world was in the same universe as his original one, so that would mean that they all were infused with the same divine energy. Is that what made them divine champions? Can you cross the borders without turning into a Divine Champion? What would that mean if someone was brought to his world from this world? His world held no classes to be turned into a Divine version... His brain ticked away, a theory forming within his mind. V's face grew serious as the thoughts fell into place. J, for the first time since their conversation ended, glanced toward V.

Every divine champion was infused with divine energy in order to be brought to this world. This sword apparently received the same treatment. The only common factor between the sword and the champions visible at the moment was the single letter name. Darkness's class changed to "Demigod Weapon Master" after acquiring a handful of letters from other champions. He took Darkness's Class, but only received the "Divine" version, not the "Demigod" version. The realization came to V. Their names, or rather letters, were manifestations of divine power. The more you collect, the closer to a "God" you become. Was the end of this game the ascension to Godhood? Was that the reward for winning this game? Was that how new Gods were made, by collecting fragments of divine energy from different deities? J watched V carefully as his thoughts fell into place. That would also explain why a physical manifestation of one of the letters would be volatile, they are divine energy in a physical form...

"Eh?" Eika's eyes fluttered open "Did... did Eika win?" She muttered groggily as she struggled to her feet. Broken from his train of thought, V nodded "Ya, I guess you did win." He said as he rubbed her head. Eika jumped up and down, before falling over "Ehehe... Eika still is a little dizzy..." V helped her to her feet. "Do you think you can carry your armor if we walk slowly? We really need to be getting back to L" Eika nodded and firmly picked up her set of leather armor. V nodded to J as they left. J called out "I first, then L. Also, if I don't see you before Violence shows up, you need to use the E then the T, once you have them." V turned around "Where do we get the T? You never mentioned...." J had already disappeared with a small cracking noise.

Sighing, V walked next to Eika. "You really let Darkness have it. Thanks for the help. He probably would have stabbed me if you did not intervene." Eika nodded "Eika saw! He was going right for you! I had to do something. I just had to...." Eika's voice was full of emotion. Some anger, some sadness, a little pride. "I was surprised you managed to make him stumble!" V was hoping to investigate Eika's seeming ability to damage Darkness, without directly asking her. It seemed like a wiser course of action. Eika nodded "I was just so angry and upset! Eika launched toward him as hard as I could! Bam! Dokon! I was hoping that it would at-least distract him... I think I passed out though, I don't know what happened after I jumped. But it worked! Eika helped!" Eika made some form of strange movement that might have been intended to be hopping, but between her wooziness and the armor, turned out to be a strange jiggle. V had assumed he would not receive much helpful information from her, but even so, he was a little disappointed. With nothing else to do as they walked, V decided to check his final ability, the one gained from the Divine Champion class.

——————
Ability: One for All
Once used, this ability cannot be undone or reused.
Upon use, allows the user to target one class's attribute. The targeted attribute becomes the user's attribute rank, overwriting all other classes in the targeted attribute.
——————

That... That was absolutely wild. V could hardly believe that he had gotten such an amazing ability from his, for the most part, mediocre class. The ability to choose one of his classes attributes to become universal was huge. The first thought that came to his mind was his S rank in willpower, using the Divine Weapon Master class. However, he was unsure if that was a wise use of the ability. Having an S rank in every single class is a big deal, but willpower seemed.... conditionally useful. He could instead use it on one of his A stat abilities, like strength. Using his other ability, that would mean he could boost any classes strength to S. Alternatively, he could save this ability, waiting to acquire a class that held and S rank in one of the more universally useful attributes, like dexterity, strength or constitution. He would have to think on the matter for a while, it was not a decision to be made hastily.

"You go first!" Eika spoke as they reached the entrance to the hideout. "If you are worried about L, I would say it would be safer for you to go first. She is much less likely to attack you." Eika opened and closed her mouth a few times, trying to find words to use against V. He laughed "It's ok, I’ll go first. She should calm down after we reveal what happened! Uh... not the Champion of Fire stuff. Don't tell her about that part." Eika nodded, a serious look on her face. As they opened the passageway and started to descend the steps, right before the doorway closed V felt that familiar sense of being followed. He quickly turned, but all that greeted him was the closed doorway. "Eh? Are you ok?" Eika asked. V shrugged "I guess so..." as they moved forward, no angry L accosted them. "I hope everything is ok..." Eika whispered.

Luckily, L was still here. However, she seemed to be setting on one of the rickety beds, in a sort of meditative position. V looked at Eika who shrugged "She was over there when Eika stol-... uh... was here last," she said, pointing to another one of the beds. "She had her eyes closed though, a-lot like she does now." V called out "L?" At the sound of her name, her eyes snapped open and she quickly took a defense posture, before realizing it was simply V and Eika. "Oh. You are back. I trust by the packages you’re carrying that today went well?" V looked at Eika, who simply shrugged and shook her head. "Uh, yes, for the most part. Are you doing, ok?" L stood up and dusted herself off, for all the good that did in this dusty hideout. "Mostly, we need to have a discussion. It’s important." She looked at the injuries V sustained from the shadow clones. "Perhaps it would be wiser to talk about the matter after you rested? I would prefer you be clear headed before we speak." This time, Eika was looking at V, who shrugged and shook his head at her. "Well... Ya we can talk after I get a bit of rest, I guess? However, before that there is some important business to take care of." V was unsure of what was going on with L, but it appeared if she did not even notice her missing sword piece. He hoped that she was just having an off day or something, but the way she was acting seemed like something much more serious.

He set down the armor, and carried the wrapped blade over to L. "I wanted to thank you for sacrificing your blade when you saved my life, back when we first met. I also wanted to thank you for the help afterward as well. I know you did not technically have to keep working with me. You expressed your willingness to kill yourself, or me, or both, multiple times. I also know that you prefer your Katana over this world’s standard weaponry. I also appreciate your help when I lost control of myself, back in the merchant square. I hope this compensates you for at-least a little of the trouble we..." he glanced at Eika. "Mostly I, have put you through. Also, to be honest with you, since you like that sort of thing, I think you will be much more effective with your old blade than the one you use now." As he spoke V unveiled the blade from its wrapping. "I should mention, uh, it’s possible that the blade might be dangerous now. You see we used..." V trailed off as he watched L. When she realized what V was holding, her breath caught in her throat. V had never seen such a complex reaction to anything before. The expression L wore was one of excitement, but her eyes spoke of deep pain and confusion. Her right hand reached out for the weapons hilt, hovering over it, as if she was scared to grab it. Her left hand gripped the rickety wood of the bedpost she was next to, her knuckles white, the wood creaked under an enraged grip. She tried to speak, but no words came out of her dry mouth. V was, quite frankly, unsure as to what was happening, nor what he should be doing in this situation, so he simply held the partially unwrapped sword in silence.

After what seemed like an eternity of silence, Eika squeaked out "Eika can't take it anymore! The pressure is too much! I am sorry! I stole your sword hilt so we could fix it while you were sleep setting! Please don't be very angry! Eika only did it so we could make an awesome present for you!" Eika pulled her ears down over her eyes as she spoke. Eika's outburst seemed to provide L with some assistance in re-centering herself, giving her another thing to focus on. "I understand. You do not need to worry. However, sending a girl to steal things for you is a lousy show of character." L berated V, but her voice lacked the venom it usually carried. "Well, uh... anyway... Did you want this sword? or... should we just... put it up on the wall?" L scoffed, she reached out for the blade once more, again hesitating, but after a moment she gripped the hilt drew it the rest of the way from the cloth. Even in the dimly lit room, it sparkled and shone. "Pretty..." Eika muttered to herself. A brief silence followed in which a brief shadow of pain flickered over L's face. Suddenly, the shimmering cracks in the sword turned brilliant purple, the same color as L's eyes. Even V had to marvel at the sword’s aesthetics at this point, a shattered blade reforged, lines of brilliant purple running through a shimmering weapon. To V, it felt like this was the first real fantasy style weapon he had seen in this damn Game of the Gods.

 

3