43.5 Interlude Three
61 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After J teleported away from the site of the battle between O and Darkness.

J gingerly laid down, his body had been wracked with pain during the encounter, he had to rest for a while. V should be capable of figuring out how to halt Violence on his own, or so J hoped. For now, all he wanted to do was rest his pained body. No one would dare attack him here, it was perhaps the safest place in the entire world... in theory. As he rested, a deep male voice echoed "That was somewhat impressive, even for you. You are getting better at using your blessing." J sighed, he did not want to deal with this man right now, his head hurt, his body hurt, and he was exhausted. "If I am going to bring about the ending to this game that I desire, I am going to need to be even better than I am currently. There is still no foreseeable way to even approach dealing with the Mad Champion. Trust me, I’ve looked." The voice responded; J could hear the smile in his words. "Yes, it is always like that isn't it? Everything going well, and then suddenly there is a seemingly insurmountable obstacle." J rubbed his forehead, his head hurt. "I must say, convincing The Champion of Evil to pay that assassin to kill that rabbit girl was a real long shot. He is difficult to control: that one." J nodded slightly in response, "I am somewhat sad he did not perish inside the Champion of Life's house, but he might still have his uses..." The man chuckled in response "Everything has a use, you just have to use it correctly...." after a brief silence, the male voice spoke again. "With the champion of Darkness taken care of, and The Mother Goddesses champion set on his path for the time being, who do you intend to deal with next?" J shook his head "No one locally, I am going to head south after this. I hear the Champion of Nature is doing some interesting things, I also must start acting against the Champion of Light, he is moving too quickly... Perhaps I could convince The Champion of Good to assist me....

Before Eika was first sold as a slave.

"Mommy look!" A small Rabbitkin ran up to her mother, a tall woman with auburn hair, her rabbit tail and ears where of a slightly darker hue. "A mushroom! Great job Eika!" Eika's mother took the mushroom from Eika and placed it in her basket. "Do you remember what papa told you about mushrooms?" Eika nodded enthusiastically "Don't chew the blue, it goes into the stew! Stay away from yellow, it’s a danjus fellow!" Her mother smiled, "The word is "dangerous" dear." Eika ran away into the trees chanting the word "danjus." as she looked for more mushrooms. Eika's mother harvested fruit from one of the nearby trees, this year had been good to their clan. Temperate weather, lots of forgeable food, only one or two incidences with the local townsfolk. The leaders of their clan would probably decide to move on next year however, it was unwise for any of the Rabbitkin clans to stay in one place for long. "Mommmmmmmmmmyyyyyy" a sorrowful Eika's voice came from the trees. As her mother followed the sound, she laughed. "How did you manage that dear one?" Eika was laying on the dirt, her arm stuck inside a burrow of some sort. "I saw a fluffy runner! I wanted to hold it but it ran inside its home and I was reaching for it but then I could not get my arm out." As Eika's mother helped her free her arm, she gently asked "What sort of animal where you chasing? Some of them can bite you, remember?" Eika shook her head "No! It was a fluffy runner! They don’t bite. I think..." As her mother dusted her off, she pursed her lips "Fluffy runner is not an animal. Was it a baby badger?" Eika shook her head "No it was running around, and was fluffy!" Eika's mother smiled. She was glad that her daughter could enjoy the forest at her age. When she was Eika's age, her father was teaching her how to hold a weapon, their clan was always under threat by nearby villages.

Eika's mother called into the forest "Eika, the sun is starting to go down, we need to head home!" after a few moments, she appeared out of the trees covered in dirt and some form of bur. "What in the world were you doing?" Eika proudly held up a large beetle. "I saw it in the trees and it tried to get away but I chased it and then I am... ambu... ambujed it!" Eika's mother smoothed her hair as Eika continued "I bet bro and his friends will be impressed! They never seen one this big I bet! It’s my pet now!" Sighing, her mother spoke sternly "If you want to keep it, you have to care for it. If you are not going to treat it well, let’s leave it in the forest." Eika shook her head, "Dad said I was getting more resp.... respnsbl. I can do it!" Eika jumped in place, excited. Her mother relented "Just be careful with it dear." After fixing Eika's hair, and straightening her clothes, Eika's mother guided her back toward the clan. It was getting late, and she would have to make dinner soon. The air was starting to get colder as well. Winter would not be long off...

As they walked, Eika played with a small stitched animal, her mother made it for her when she was just a small baby. It looked so much bigger to Eika back then, but now it could fit into one hand easily. As Eika carried the beetle in one hand, and held the doll in the other, her mother was constantly course correcting her. "Eika pay attention, you might trip." Eika nodded 'Yes mommy!" Eika put the stitched doll in her pocket and concentrated on the ground, making sure not to lose her footing. However, after a few moments of this, she walked directly into a tree. "Ehhhh?" Eika rubbed her head. "Don't just look at the ground dear, you have to pay attention to everything at once." Eika moaned "That's hardddddddd." Her mother smiled and rubbed her head "Lots of things are hard, but they get easier once you practice." Eika muttered "If you say so mommy..." she was clearly unconvinced. The trees eventually gave way to the clearing that the clan had been staying in. Semi-permanent buildings of leather and wood stood scattered around, children played between the houses as adults attended to the many tasks required to keep the clan in good health. As Eika's mother looked over the clearing however, she put her hand over Eika's chest, stopping her advance.

"Is that a umin?" Eika whispered. "A few of them are human yes." On one side of the clearing, a party of heavily armed townsfolk were speaking with the clan's elder. They were too far away for Eika's mother to hear their conversation, but their equipment and their number was enough to worry her. "Eika, let’s stay here for now. We don't want to interrupt them." Eika's mother held her close as she watched. The townsfolk, a mix of humans, dwarves, and one elf, spoke to the leader of their clan. Their gestures made Eika's mother believe they were angry, complaining about something? More likely blaming their tribe for some misfortune that had befallen the village. This was very bad, they would be forced to leave, driven out by the villagers just before winter. Migrating the entire tribe during winter was always difficult, especially for the children. Eika's mother held her even closer, wrapping her arm around Eika. As whatever conversation they were having dragged onward, something caught her mother’s eye, something in the trees on the far side of the clan. Eika's mother was certain she had spotted movement among the trees. A very bad feeling started to well up inside of her chest. "Let us go find your father, let's be quiet and move quickly." Eika saw the seriousness in her mother’s face, and simply nodded. However, as they started to move toward the encampment, the situation devolved quickly. Suddenly, and by the elder’s surprised expression, without warning the leader stabbed the elder through the chest, as his companion sounded a horn. From the trees on the far side of the grove, what Eika's mother could only describe as a war party erupted from the trees. "No no no!" She dropped the basket of food she was carrying and grabbed Eika. Their clan had few warriors, against the townsfolk they might have stood a chance, but the warriors from the trees looked like professionals, mercenaries hired by the townsfolk. 

Eika's mother hesitated for a moment, she wanted to find her husband, and her boy, but there was no time. She had to save Eika. Her husband was smart, and strong, she hoped he would be able to escape with Eika's brother. There was no time, she had to escape with Eika. Perhaps Eika's mother knew deep in her heart that going to help her husband and son was not going to accomplish anything. Anymore hesitation however, and it would mean ruin. She grabbed Eika, who had started screaming in terror by this point, and sprinted into the forest. Behind her she heard one of the women yell "One of em's getting away over there!" Anger welled inside Eika's mother, they wanted to kill every single one of them! Monsters, savages! As Eika's mother ran, she realized the best chance for Eika's survival. They had not seen her girl, they only saw "one" running away. "Mommy what about daddy? And my brother and my friends! We can’t leave them behind!" She searched for a place to stash Eika. Rubbing Eika's head she cooed "Shhh its ok, you need to be a good girl and listen to mommy." Eika nodded as she sobbed in fear and terror. "Mommy is going to hide you, you need to stay quiet and still. Don't come out for a long time." Eika nodded but cried "We can’t hide! We have to help daddy! The people are fighting them! We can’t leave them back there!" Her mother rubbed her head, "Please Eika, please be a good girl and listen to mommy. I will go back for Daddy and your brother; I promise we will not leave them behind." It hurt Eika's mother to lie to her, but she would do anything to save the life of her child from these monsters. All they wanted was to live in peace, but it always turned out like this. Chased off, murdered, enslaved... She rounded a large rotting tree, there was enough room to stash Eika inside, and cover the rest of it with the fallen leaves and detritus laying around. Moving quickly, she hid Eika, kissing her on the forehead one last time. She pulled a small wooden medallion from her clothing and handed it to Eika. "If you see other Rabbitkin, they will know our clan by this wooden coin. It has our crest on it. Keep it safe for mommy." Eika nodded, trying to stop her tears, trying to be a good girl like mommy asked of her. "I love you Eika, Daddy loves you, and your brother loves you too. We will always love you; we are so proud of you. Now be a good girl and stay quiet."  The last thing Eika heard of her mother, was a soft "Stay safe little one," as she finished covering up her hiding place.

"You bastards!" Eika's mother called out. She had moved away from her daughters hiding place and back toward the clan's encampment. She would draw them out and face them down. Her death would buy her daughter’s life. She apologized to her husband and son, she was the warrior of the family, she was supposed to protect them, but securing her daughter’s life was the best she could do. The mercenaries who had been sent after her when she started running appeared out of the trees. "Found a backbone, did you? Going to curse us with your filthy blood?" The warriors laughed at the mother, who had tears in her eyes. "Na, we know your kind ain't nothing special. Killed a few of your clans. Its good money really, villages all over the world will pay heaps for the removal of your kind. This time it was just a bad harvest. They thought having you on their lands cursed the soil." The leader spoke as they surrounded her. They enjoyed this, it was not just a job, they did not even attack them out of fear... the joy on their faces was apparent, they reveled in killing her kind! A deep burning hatred roiled up from within her. She would make them pay! Somehow.... some...how...

Shuffling through the forest, a few men searched the site of the massacre. Combing through the bodies and debris. "This is real bad man, look at the place. This wasn't no clan of warriors. Most of them tried to run." A man spoke to his boss, who was also combing through the aftermath. The man’s boss responded as he kicked a burnt cradle "They even killed most of the kids. I guess its lucky we found a few, make this whole damn trip worth it." The man nodded "Sure, we can make some money, but I don't know. I’ve been doing this a long time and this one is just... its real bad. Even though it had to have been a few days ago now, this place still feels cursed somehow..." His boss shrugged. "That's just how it is. Clan dies, kid's get sold off. I’ve seen this more times than you can count. It’s also easier on us than hunting down criminals or selling off magical monsters and slaves. If you can’t handle it, think about a career change." A women ran up to the two of them "Sir, we found something you might want to see. Its uh, it’s just weird is all." The boss shrugged and followed the women. A short trip into the forest later, the boss whistled, the man he was talking with stood there, his mouth hanging open. "Wh...what happened here? I.... what?" he marveled at the scene before him. A female Rabbitkin lay dead, six or seven weapons protruding from her body at every conceivable angle. Around her lay the bodies of eight mercenaries, two dwarves, three humans, and an elf. Their bodies had horrible, horrible gouge marks. One of the dwarfs neck had been snapped in such an extreme angle that the man felt ill just looking at it. Some of them had broken bones, one's eyes had been... Uh, well actually the man could not determine what happened to their eyes they just... were certainly not where they were supposed to be. "What the hell man?!" the man said, holding back his retching.

"I’ve seen something like this before, once. I’ve also heard stories and rumors of situations like this in the business. A rabbit clan slaughtered, an easy conquest, but then there is one scene like this. Mangled dead around a singular Rabbitkin." The boss looked at the bodies "Well, at-least the men have some equipment we can sell..." The man, still choking back bile stammered "What... what happened though? How can you be so calm?" The boss shrugged. "They are called the cursed race. Are you really so surprised to see something so awful around them? I would, personally, label this situation as "cursed." Wouldn't you? There is no sense in trying to figure out what happened here. Chalk it up to a curse and move on with your life. It’s not like we are in any danger anyw..." He was interrupted by the women who had led him here, "Sir I hear something over that way!" she pointed deeper into the forest. "I can't make out what it is." The boss nodded, drawing his short sword he headed toward the noise. The man behind him stammered "We… are going to investigate? What if it’s another one of those?!" he pointed at the dead Rabbitkin women. "I doubt that very much, more like it’s a wounded survivor, perhaps one of the mercenaries dragged himself away from the rabbit woman." As they cautiously moved through the forest, the boss heard a soft noise. "Mommy...." The women pointed to a rotting tree ahead of them. "There boss." The boss headed toward the tree as he spoke "I swear, you could hear a sparrow shit from a hundred yards away..."

The leaves that had been covering the place Eika's mother had stashed her had blown partially away over time. "Oh, a rabbit child." Eika's weakly shifted her head toward the man "Mommy? Eika is being a good girl..." The boss knelt down, examining her "She must have been here since the massacre. She is looking really bad; I wonder if she has had any water..." He pulled his flask out and tried to pour some water into her mouth. Coughing, Eika's head drooped. The boss stood up and turned to the women. "Take her back to camp, see if you can fix her up. She is not going to sell for much, but its better than nothing. Poor girl." The women picked Eika up, she made a weak struggling motion "Eika has to wait...Mommy said... quietly..." The women hastily moved off with the girl. The boss headed back to the dead Rabbitkin women. He knelt down, closing her eyes. "I wager she died for that kid over there. They say you should never mess with a wild animal's children. It looks like these guys learned that the hard way..." He pulled the weapons out of the Rabbitkin and turned her face upward toward the sky. "Why ya doin that boss?" The boss took a few moments to respond. "We can sell a few of these, they are not broken or dulled, she was not wearing any armor."

The night before the assault on the Champion of Life

L was laying on one of the lousy beds in T's hideout. Her experience inside V's "heart" so to speak, had exhausted her more then she wanted to admit. T had gone out for some reason, and V was asleep. It was against her better judgement to leave no one standing guard, but she would rather get some rest while T was away, than while he was here. However, her rest did not come easy, dreams haunted her.

"The Emperor wants to meet with me?!" It had been a year and a half since she had won the tournament in the capitol. After her victory she was recruited into the Imperial Guard. It was a great honor, L and her family where overjoyed, save perhaps her mother who bore a bitter sweet attitude to the news. A man of forty years nodded to her, as the head of the Imperial Guard, there were few people more important in the capitol than this man. "The Emperor not only witnessed your battle against his brother a year ago, but has since heard of your great deeds this past year. Your prowess with the blade, your dedication to duty, and your fervor in upholding both your, and your family’s honor. Even I am unsure as to the reason he has called for your presence in the imperial court tomorrow, but I must assume it is to reward you for your service." Her excitement was held back by both her nervousness, and her well trained spirit. "Of course I will answer his summons. I simply hope it is as you suggest, and that I have not erred in my duty to him and the imperial family." The man nodded. "You will of course need to actually wear your ceremonial garb." A pained look crossed L's face. "Yes, I am aware of your aversion to such things. None the less, do see that the tailors see to it before the end of the day, I would bet a vault's worth of gold that you have not once saw to maintaining it.

The next day, just as the first rays of sun crested over the mountain range that stood behind the Imperial palace, L stood in front of the Emperor and his wife. He was a smaller man, not powerfully built like his brother, but what his body lacked in power, his eyes made up for in presence. His gaze and bearing held the weight of a man suiting his position. Around her, it appeared as if the entire imperial court had been assembled! L knew some of the people here, she had met many important individuals as she served the Imperial Guard. Military leaders, economic advisors, royalty, nobility, envoys from neighboring rulers. However, she had not seen so many gathered in one place before. Although her expression did not show it, her mind was awash with concern. The only think she could think of that would draw this sort of crowd was an execution. Was she going to be accused of treason or something? She straightened her clothes, they were dark purple and deep blue, the tailors had totally redone her entire outfit. They added golden embroidery and added beautiful designs. A few of the Imperial Palaces handmaidens had helped her prepare. They worked on her hair, cleaned her, added makeup, during the whole event, L considered that if they showed the same dedication to battle or war that they showed to beauty, even the weak looking handmaidens would be great warriors... L was never sure why the courts, great houses, nobles, and even commoners, put so much value on appearance, but she went along with it, mostly because she had to.

Behind the Emperor and Empress, a massive window was letting in the first rays of morning. As they fell over L, draping her in light, she could hear the whispers and mutterings of the court around her. Were they making fun of her? Did she look silly in this sort of outfit? The din quieted down quickly as the Emperor stood up. "I have gathered the court here today on a most auspicious matter." The court held its breath, L could have sworn the anticipation of the court was thick enough in the air to bottle. After a few moments the emperor grabbed his wife's hand and had her stand next to him. "After a year of attempting to produce an heir, we are ready to announce that my wife is indeed with child!" The court erupted into whispers and instant gossip. L was happy for the emperor and empress, but she failed to see why she was here in front of the Emperor, while everyone else was safely watching from the sides of the room. The Emperor now cast his gaze toward L, as soon as he started speaking, the court shut its mouth. "As for our most beautiful Imperial Guard" The Empress raised her eyebrows slightly, L assumed the Emperor would be facing some sort of repercussions for that in the future. "My brother wishes to duel her once again. A year ago he was bested by this newcomer to the court, he wishes to see his title as "The Flashing Blade" restored! He felt as if he could no longer bare it while a young girl had defeated him." That was interesting. L had seen the Emperor's brother around a few times, he never seemed to have any grudge toward her. Perhaps he did not, perhaps he simply had to regain his honor by besting her in order to live with himself. L could understand that part. The court, once again, erupted into noise even louder than last time.

In the courtyard, L stood across from "The Flashing Blade." He taunted her "How the little girl has grown! A right proper lady now. Perhaps after I win, you can find a new job as a wife for one of the court's sons!" L was a little confused, he seemed so much more aggressive than he ever did before.  Whatever the case was, she had no intention of losing. She had learned from the last time she fought him. Back in her family’s home, strength and technique was more than enough to best all of the family guard. The first time she had encountered someone who relied on speed was last year, when she faced The Flashing Blade. She almost lost, and she had taken this to heart. The last year had seen her refine her abilities more than she ever could have, had she not participated in the tournament. The start of the duel was announced, yet she did not move. Her eyes followed the Emperor’s brother as he approached her. She gripped the hilt of her sword, having yet to draw it. The Flashing Blade was no fool, he watched her, appraising her stance. For a time, he circled her as a vulture would a dead body, but suddenly he struck out with both of his blades. A lesser warrior would have not even seen the strike before the blades struck them, but L did not need to see their movements. She felt the movements of the air, watched the man’s muscles contract before he began his strike, if she knew where the blades were going to be, seeing them with her eyes was not important. A ringing noise tore through the courtyard as one of the Emperor's brother's blades was torn out of his hand, and was sent flying. L had drawn her sword and lashed out, as quick, if not quicker, then The Flashing Blade himself.

Jumping backwards he laughed "I see you have not been simply setting around either girl. You are twice the fighter you used to be. His expression told L that he knew the same thing she did. He could not match her in the blade. "How about it then? You bested me without a weapon, using the tactics of the lowborn. Shall we finish it that way then?" he cast his other blade aside. L nodded, but sheathed her weapon. She believed that to cast a weapon in the dirt was to dishonor it, and her sword had served her well. Suddenly they were upon each other. Brawling like a pair of drunk peasants. The scandal! Not that L would care, but the court was all a tizzy with the idea of the Emperor's own brother and an Imperial Guard, a woman no less, brawling in the dirt. After what seemed like hours to the court, but to L seemed like only moments. She managed to unbalance The Flashing Blade and sweep his legs. He grabbed her, trying to bring her down with him, but she over powered him, slamming him into the dust alone. He held up his hand in a gesture of peace. "I yield! I can neither beat her in the blade, in speed, nor in strength. This woman is a Demon!" His face displayed a wide grin, tinged with pain from the trashing his body received. "Brother! I trust now that you have seen all you need to see?" The Emperor nodded "Let us return to the imperial court. Confused, L and the rest of the court returned to the throne.

Standing, once again, in front of the Emperor L waited. Although this time she was covered in dust and sweat, she hoped that would be forgiven, considering the circumstances. The Emperor spoke "First, I offer my apologies for this farce," If L thought the court was manic before, she had no idea what word could even be used to describe them after the Emperor offered his apology. "In honesty, your duel was little more than a test. You see, I have been searching for a warrior of great talent, and flawless character. My brother recommended "The girl he fought in the tournament," to use his words. He stated that the girl he had fought had great strength, and even greater potential. However, I was not searching for potential that was unrealized. Thus, my brother came to me, begged me to test you against my greatest warrior. He felt that it would be a mistake to allow you to go unnoticed." The court was, once again, holding its breath, and so was L for that matter. "He was, as he so often is, correct. I have scarcely seen speed and precision in the blade, and even when disarmed you overpowered my brother. Lest anyone contest my upcoming declaration, I would also point out that this woman did not cast aside her blade, but sheathed it. While the added weight surely made fighting harder, I have been told from her superior that she does this out of respect and honor for her weapon. Strength, speed, precision, honor" He cast a sidelong glance at his wife "Beauty, and grace. What more could anyone ask out of a warrior? So, I have decided to announce that from this point onward, this woman will be the guardian of my child, whether son or daughter and my wife, may her own beauty never fade. She will stand at our family’s right hand, as its guardian." If the court could have, it would have physically exploded. It had been ages since there was Lord Protector, or in this case Lady Protector. It was one of the highest positions in the entire land, no one but the Emperor himself could step over her commands. Even the Empress was expected to follow any orders given by the Lord/Lady Protector. They were the first and last defender of the royal family, they held massive political and military power in their hands. The position had been left empty for generations due to the tendency for it to be abused. More than one leader had been undone by a corrupt Lord/Lady Protector.

A week later, the court stood, awaiting the official ceremony. After being officially granted the title, the House Guard, and the Imperial Guard were to swear to uphold the Lady Protector's orders, and swear to serve the Emperor through her. Over the last few days, L had spent most of her time absorbing the situation. Why her? A country girl from a waning family. Why now? It had been ages since there even was a Lord/Lady Protector. Would she even be able to manage? Aside from her inner turmoil, there was yet another problem she had to deal with. The absolutely massive amount of marriage offers she had received from... well everyone. She assumed it was due to her soon to be position as Lady Protector, but the man who had been her mentor over the least year simply laughed. "Girl, I’m sure the position helps, but after seeing you in court with the sun falling over your shoulders, your head held high as your hair fell over your shoulders. The Emperor could have said that you were being made a pig farmer and you would still have gotten a legion of proposals. L nodded, she had no reason to disbelieve him, but she failed to see why. She lacked the refinement of her mother, the gentle touch, the caring eyes, everything that her mother had, L lacked, she failed to see the attraction the court apparently had acquired for her. Her mentor just laughed slightly to himself and shook his head "Guess you always did have weapons for brains."

After a rather lengthy ceremony where L was officially made Lady Protector, the Emperor gestured to a far side of the court. "I did not wish to distract you, so I have waited till now to inform you. Your family was brought here to witness the ceremony. We kept them out of view as to not complicate your feelings on the matter." L searched the court, and after a moment indeed saw her mother, her father, grandfather, and even her older brother. Many of her attendants from the house had also come. Suddenly a wave of emotions overtook L. She had faced this whole situation stoically, but seeing her family opened the floodgates. Relief, concern, worry, but most of all, pride. She promised her father she would return her family to an important place within the court, and even though it happened quite a bit faster than she expected, she was overcome with a sense of accomplishment. She was able to fulfill her father and grandfather's hopes for her, she was able to ease her brother's burden of having to inherit a flagging family. She suspected he himself would be receiving more than a few marriage proposals now. The Emperor spoke "Before you retire to speak with them privately, there is one more official matter." The Emperor clapped his hands, silencing the court once again. L's brother, father, and grandfather were brought forward, as well as a long item wrapped in cloth. "My brother had, apparently, planned on me accepting your appointment to the position of Lord Protector for a few months. He went to your family and provided them the resources to have a katana made for you, in the style traditional to your families line." At the Emperor's gesture, a servant unwrapped the cloth, revealing a beautiful katana. Her father's eyes were wet with emotion, her grandfather the grim face of respect of a warrior, and her brother held a soft expression, he always worried about his sister, but never had much time to spend with her as she grew up. After the sword was fully unwrapped the Emperor spoke again. "This sword was made with the resources of the court, the care of your family, the knowledge of your ancestors, and the metals of your homeland. As long as you wield this sword, all of those things will be with you. The hope and trust that the court places on you, the dreams your family has for you, the honor of your ancestors and the honor you have brought them in turn, and no matter how far you might travel from your home, this sword is made from the earth of your family’s home lands. With this sword you will bring honor to yourself, and to all of us. It is my gift to you, Lord Protector."

 

3