60. The Aftermath
42 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

V tested himself, attempting to set upright. Pain lanced through most of his body, immediately shutting down his attempt. He also was still suffering from extreme dizziness and disorientation, presumably partially caused by blood loss. He was however, able to move his head around enough to get a better read on his surroundings. It was currently daytime, a large number of injured still lay in orderly rows around him. He saw Eika and Luna a little ways off, they were setting on a pile of boxes, eating some sort of sliced fruit. It was much quieter then the last time he had awoken, no crying and much less groaning and moaning. V tried to call out to Eika and Luna, he needed to know what was going on. It was at this point that he realized his mouth and throat were extremely dry, this also seemingly reminded his body that was quite hungry as well. Although virtually no sound escaped him, it appeared as if Luna had noticed his movements, and was frantically pointing to him. Eika jumped up and ran to V's side, very nearly tripping over one of the other nearby injured citizens. 

"You're up again! Eika is so happy! You look less confused this time too! The first few times you opened your eyes I thought you had damage your head! Alice said you didn't. At first I did not think she knew what she was talking about but then she did some good work with the other injured people so I figured I would listen to her, also Luna and me are ok, I had to rest for a while though I was in a lot of pain. Oh! Eika was told you should not move very much because of your wounds. Alice said that if you moved a lot you would hurt yourself. It's great that you are not falling asleep again. Did you hear-" V weakly attempted to halt Eika's torrent of words. "Eika, I think he wants some water, he looks sick. Did Alice leave some around?" Luna interrupted Eika, rescuing V from her verbal assault. "Oh... ya I think there is a big ol barrel of it over there!" Eika ran off, leaving V and Luna alone. Luna patted V's head as they waited for Eika to return. "You got the bad man! Everyone is less angry now. Thanks!" She said happily. V wished she would stop deftly slapping his brow, it hurt.

Eika came back carrying a clay pitcher filled with water. "Oh! That is a lot of water..." Luna looked between V and the pitcher a few times, clearly trying to figure out how to successfully combine the two. "I guess we could pour it on his face? Some water would get in that way I'm sure! I used to stand with my mouth open in the rain and get a drink like that. It should work the same way!" O please gods above no. V desperately hoped Eika had the good sense to not waterboard him.  "Luna, that is what the spoon is for..." Eika's voice carried a level of exasperation that caused V to assume that Eika had been dealing with Luna's... naivety for at-least a few days. Eika's face took on a deadly serious look as she filled a wooden spoon with water and with the steadiest hand V had ever witnessed her using, poured a small amount into his mouth. His cracked lips burned, but the water was cool and refreshing. The sudden return of moisture caused him to cough and spit most of it back out, and also caused a new wave of pain. "Is he choking?" Luna asked as she looked around. "Is he going to die? We should get help. I do not know how to stop choking people from choking." Eika shook her head, "No it's ok. I think. Alice told Eika that sometimes water makes people sick if they have not had it for a long time. But he needs it so I'll try again." Over the next hour Eika slowly helped V drink water out of her wooden spoon.

"Oh. He is awake?" A gentle but powerful feminine voice called from further away. Eika looked over "Ah Miss Alice! V is awake but he can hardly move and he cant seem to talk! Is he going to be ok?!" Luna add "Ya and he sort of chokes on water!" The large woman that V had glimpsed threatening J appeared behind the two girls. V tilted his head to attempt a better look at her. She was something like seven feet tall, although standing behind Eika and Luna made her appear to be obscenely huge. Her hair was pure blond, her eyes where a bright golden amber that V swore was brighter then normal, perhaps her eyes had a glow to them? Her facial features were perfect, her skin flawless. Whereas L's features were that of a model, this woman had more of an "angelic" feeling. Both were attractive, but with very different appearances. Her body structure reminded him of O's, very muscled and powerfully built. A thin band of silver crossed her forehead and disappeared underneath her hair. At her side hung a large mace and a tome of some type, and on her back a broadsword.

"You have done enough for now." The woman spoke kindly to Eika. "Let me examine him." Luna and Eika scrambled off to the side as the woman knelt down. "Can you understand me?" V nodded, he could do that much at-least. A small directed ball of light appeared of the woman's hand. The light shined in V's eyes as she examined him. "You do not seem to have suffered any brain damage from your hematoma. At-least nothing I can detect using what I have available. It was lucky I arrived moments after your collapse." She felt the bandages around his mid section. "I cannot stop the bleeding around your lower abdomen. The wounds are enchanted in some manner. Wrapping it tightly slows the blood loss, but the wound is not clotting. The rest of your wounds are healing normally." She unwrapped V's shoulder hole and examined it. "You are going to need to get someone who can magically restore this. I have cleaned and dressed it, but I do not think it is going to fully heal in a way that allows you to use your arm naturally." V managed to utter a cracked "Than..ks" as she explained his condition to him. "These girls told me that the woman, L, is your companion. I should tell you, I am not entirely sure what is wrong with her. I tended to her frostbite, and her external wounds, but the damage she received is something I cannot explain. Her body is not responding the way to treatment that one would expect. Where I come from, we did not have magic or non-feline humanoid races. I cannot help her anymore then I already have." She examined the back of V's head. "Anyway, I know this is not what you want to hear right now, but I really need you to recover sooner rather then later. There are five injured champions under my care including you and your companion. If you include me there are six champions in a relatively small location. The vultures are circling. The Champion of the Hearth will be unable to fight for weeks, and the other two are not much better. Eventually I will no longer be able to maintain the safety of this place alone. You are, in essence, only down one arm and a bunch of blood. You will recover far before the others."

After she checked a few of his other, considerably more minor wounds, she moved off to care for the other injured. As she walked away, she informed Eika that she should attempt to feed him, like she had with some of the other patients. Eika scampered off somewhere as Luna came back over. "Eika and I have been doing a lot of helpful stuff! There are only a couple of other people helping. Most people are trying to fix their lives and are too busy to help." Luna looked around "Eika's favorite part was searching for people in the rubble of buildings. She got so excited when she discovered someone trapped under piles of wood or ashes or something." V listened as she spoke. Although the information was not vital, it did help him get and idea on what had been happening since he had passed out. "Who... is the..." V steadied himself, trying to finish the sentence "Large.. woman?" Luna nodded. "Oh! She is great right? She really has been helping so many people recover from the bad old man's evil." He would have to ask Eika when she returned.

A few moments later, Eika ran over with a wooden bowl of something that looked like oatmeal. "I'm going to feed you now ok? Eika is a little concerned, this stuff does not taste good. Don't spit it out though, you need it!" She tried to speak in a stern manner, but could not quite manage it due to her concern for V, and her general excitement about him being awake again. Before she started trying to spoon the oatmeal substance into his mouth he spoke, "Alice...?" Eika nodded excitedly. "Ya! She is the Champion of Good! She does not hide her class and stuff, only her name... for some reason. I was able to see she is a Divine Templar, get this, level seventeen! Eika has no idea how she got so many levels." V's headache increased as he listened, level seventeen? She must be getting her levels naturally, at least in part. If she had killed sixteen champions there was no way she would not just be crushing everyone with tons of blessing and classes and who knows what other powers. Even so, level seventeen was the most impressive numbers he had seen so far for a Divine Class. Eika continued talking, as well as feeding him. "She said she knew there was going to be a great tragedy in the city, and headed here right away! She was sad she did not arrive in time to help during the night of terror, that is what people call it now by the way, but she was happy to have arrived nearly exactly the moment it ended, to help the aftermath. She has organized this...medical... place. Tri.. age? center I think is what she called it. Although I think she calls it a hospital now. She has people laid out all over the nearby streets. We wanted to use the houses and buildings of course, but most of them are damaged so we did not want to risk it."

Eika finished feeding V, and although it clearly took all of her willpower, took Luna away and let him rest. V closed his eyes in an effort to reduce the pounding in his head. L was doing poorly, he would have to check on her as soon as he was able to move around. The transformed sword that the Champion of Combat wielded had left wounds that were not healing propperly, and his shoulder needed magical tending as well. He wondered if the alchemist survived the troubles, he could really use her help. He considered sending Eika to the woman's shop, but decided against it. Not because he doubted Eika's ability to shop, but because the overall state of the city was unknown. Alice had also mentioned that their hospital was in danger. V figured it made sense, a bunch of easy kills. Champions unable to defend themselves, and five of them no less. It was a perfect target for other Champions, V wondered at the fact that they had not already been killed. The Champion of Good must be intimidating indeed if no one had at-least snuck in to kill one of them yet.

The coming days followed much of the same pattern, Eika feeding him, Alice checking his wounds. His recovery was slow. He figured that he must have basically been dead when the Champion of Good found him. His constitution had been set at A this whole time, for his recovery to be this slow, he could only imagine that he was in the embrace of death when Alice pulled him back. More concerning however, was the reports of L's condition. Even though she had the regeneration skill, she still had yet to awake. According to Alice, she appeared to be in a coma of some type, her breathing was extremely shallow and occasionally her pulse was weak enough to be undetectable. V did not know exactly what had happened to her in the battle. It was obvious that she tapped into the power of the demonic race, and likely whatever her other "half" was, but beyond that he had no idea what effect that might have had on her body. He found it curious that her body was damaged by her own powers. If she was a demon, why did tapping into those demonic power hurt her? He sighed, there was little he could determine laying on the ground. He took a deep breath, a painful one, and resolved that he had rested enough. He might not be able to do much, but he had to at-least get up. He braced himself and tried to rise, dizziness, nausea and pain, lots of pain, threatened to overtake him. However, he refused to give in to this weakness any longer, and pulled himself to his feet. He was leaning heavily on the wall of the inn next to him, but he had finally arisen.

3