62.5 Interlude Four
35 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

J speaks to the voice inside of his sanctum.

"Are you sure The Champion of Honor survived?" J's voice was filled with exasperation, his most recent series of plans had been greatly disrupted. A voice echoed "Well, unless you believe that someone made a new demon. There were two, then there was one for a few moments, and then there were two again." J cursed under his breath, "Too many strange things have been happening. I can only account for so much outside interference.  A few gods, a few eccentric champions, but it's like everyone in that city has their own guardian angel." The voice laughed, "Are you really one to be complaining about outside interference? Don't you find it hypocritical to be upset that there are other puppet masters who just happened to disrupt your own, puppetmastery type of plans?" J ignored the voice’s taunts, but he could not ignore the fact that there was apparently at-least one unknown party at work, maybe more. "Shouldn't you be upset as well? There are only so many ways to kill that demon, while assuring the survival of the Champion of Motherhood at the same time." The voice answered without hesitation, "I have waited for longer than you can imagine, I can wait a while more if necessary. Although yes, it is rather bothersome. I wonder if this was also part of The Daughter's schemes? Up until now, her interference has only assisted us. In-fact if I remember correctly, you counted on it once or twice."

J paced back and forth in frustration; the voice contemplated for a moment before speaking up. "It is possible we could use this to our advantage you know." J paused "Oh? If you are keeping something important from me, do speak up." J's voice was slathered with contempt. He was already in a bad mood, and the flippant attitude of the voice annoyed him even on good days. "Well, assuming she does not have some type of lasting brain damage, the Champion of Honor should, in theory, be able to now track down the last demon." J paused "That... would be extremely helpful. I thought the last demon was virtually impossible to find? Wasn't that the biggest hurdle in your goal?" The voice laughed again "No certainly not, but it was a significant one." J nodded as he spoke "Well, how do we know she is going to "track down" the last demon? It's not like there is a good reason to go looking for it." With a dark satisfaction the voice replied "Demons have a tendency to find one another, besides, I suspect her being a demon was not accidental." Normally J would have needed a more... concrete reason to accept such a suspicion, but he doubted the voice would have said that last part unless he was sure, besides the voice often did not care to justify himself to J. "If we get both demons in the same place, we could probably kill them at once. Although, the Champion of Motherhood would probably also be collateral." The voice contemplated for a few moments before responding. "If we take out both of the demons, the Champion of Motherhood's life becomes significantly less important. However, we should still make efforts to preserve him. As you yourself said, there is quite a lot of interference, we cannot be certain both demons will die. Should we fail, our only option is to continue to guide The Champion of Motherhood along our path."

Inside of a tent, at a rabbitkin camp.

"Your wife is fine, but there might be something wrong with your daughter. As soon as she was born, the Elder took her. He said he wishes you to come speak with him immediately." The male rabbitkin's expression flicked back and forth from worry, excitement, and relief. He wanted to see his wife; her pregnancy had been difficult on her. However, she was apparently healthy and both his newborn child and the Elder beckoned for him." Tell her I will be right back, and I will bring our daughter." The rabbitkin female nodded and departed. The male sped off to the Elders tent. Arriving he blew through the tent flap. "Where is she? What is wrong with my daughter?" He asked in a panicked voice, his emotions running rampant. The Elder, who was standing with a small rabbitkin child in his arms made a hushing motion. The child was sleeping silently. "No fear is called for, at-least not now. When your daughter was born I felt a great spirit move through the tent. At first I thought it was some evil trying to possesses the defenseless newborn, but I have examined her and now believe she is not cursed, but blessed."

The father wore a complicated expression, "Then that is good is it not? Why do you imply that this will trouble her later?" The Elder's eyes had a reflective property to them as he rocked the baby in his arms. "I believe your child has a great destiny... I will only speak of this because it is your daughter. There is knowledge that is passed from one clan leader to the next, passed down only upon the deathbed of the current Elder. I am sure you know the story of our past, the way we were cursed, and the churches false recounting of the story?" The father nodded "Of course, the story of our great Champion is told to every rabbitkin! It is why we are persecuted after all." The Elder nodded sadly. "Indeed, because the rabbitkin gifted the poor boy with a friend, a friend that was loyal till the end, we are cursed." The Elder closed the flap of the tent and secured it, handing the small rabbitkin child to her father. "However, I will reveal a part of the story that must never be repeated, even to your wife." The father's expressions of concern deepened, but for his daughter’s sake, he nodded his assent. "On the night of sacrifice, when we rescued the Champion from the demons, as you know most of the rabbitkin were lost. However, the greatest loss was the dear friend, the rabbitkin who stood alongside of our Champion though all of his trials. It is said that grief and anger overwhelmed the Champion, while true, that is not the end of that piece of the story. Seeing the body of his companion staked, eternally bleeding as a trophy tore at the champion’s mind. What came next however, was the true horror.

His companion was not, in-fact, dead. At-least not fully. The powers that the rabbitkin had gained fighting alongside of the Champion were significant. Through sheer will the rabbitkin had kept itself alive through unimaginable torture and physical trauma. They had one last message, they had to warn their friend. As the rabbitkin who had rescued the Champion removed the body from its position, it uttered the final message they had held onto for so long. The church had betrayed him, it was the church that allowed a portal to be opened in the most fortified city in the world, it was the church who made sure it occurred when everyone was least prepared." A pained expression set deeply on the Elder's face as he spoke of one of the darkest moments of their history. The father wore a confused expression, "Is that the great secret? Terrible surly, but we know the church betrayed him, this extra piece of the story only means their betrayal happened earlier then the story normally tells." The Elder nodded "Indeed, there would be no reason to keep this information from the clans. However... all of the Champion's sadness and sorrow turned to rage and hate. In that moment, as his companion closed his eyes for the last time, having delivered his message, the Champion swore vengeance against the church. Or more specifically, he swore that the rabbitkin, who had sacrificed everything to save him from the doomed city, would have their revenge."

The elder took a deep breath before he continued "In that moment, our race was changed, as it would be again later, when we were cursed. Every few hundred years or so, a rabbitkin is born that is unlike the others. Our race, as you well know, has spent most of its history as slaves, or worse. Only in the past three hundred years have any great number of us have existed in... freedom, if you want to call this freedom. Many of the clan Elders believe this was not just done as punishment, but so that the churches of the various gods could keep watch for these special rabbitkin. To my knowledge, only one was ever allowed to grow to adulthood, three hundred years ago or so. He slipped beneath the notice of the church, or perhaps after so many years they have simply forgotten to keep looking. However, this rabbitkin lead a revolt among a massive part of the enslaved rabbitkin population. Any of our kind that encountered him were compelled to follow him. However, all his revolt accomplished was freeing a portion of our people, those freed slaves escaped and scattered to the winds, becoming the first ancestors of the free clans."

The father looked down at his daughter, who's face seemed almost angelic as she slept. "But what does that all mean? Are you implying that my daughter is destined to die in an attempt to lead the rabbitkin and a rebellion against the church? Can I not just raise her as a normal child? I will not even teach her to fight! A risk to be sure, but if it keeps her away from grand ideas..." The Elder held up his hand, his eyes dull and grey. "I do not have all the answers, all I can tell you is that one day, your daughter will move past her life as a simple rabbitkin. If she survives, one day she will evolve and surpass all of us. A Rabbitkin Archon."

The mother and father of the small rabbitkin watched over their child as she slept. "One day she will be a great warrior, I will teach her everything I know. Perhaps she will even save someone cowering in the dirt from a wild boar and wed them." The mother smiled as she elbowed her husband. Normally he would laugh along with her as she poked fun at him, but today he had much on his mind. He had asked the Elder why this knowledge was kept from the clans, and his response was sensible. If the clans where always waiting for some great rabbitkin to lead them to war, it was only a matter of time till they found a war. And there was no way for them to win a crusade against the church, especially when you consider that most of civilization supported the church. The father gently caressed his daughter’s head as he spoke in a somber voice. "Does she have to be a warrior? There is so much more for her in life than that..." The wife looked at her husband oddly. "I find that I get quite a lot of out of life being a warrior. I protect the clan that is my family, and my loved ones. However, I also do much besides, gathering food, trying to sew clothes and failing, spending time with you." The father nodded; his wife did seem happy. He promised the Elder he would never reveal what he had been told, even to his wife. He struggled with his own commitments and emotions in silence for a while. "What bothers you so?" his wife asked in response to his grim expression. "I just wish for a simple life for our daughter. I do not want her to be filled with ideas of grand adventures, and rescuing men from wild animals. I wish for her to be happy, but what value is happiness if you are not safe? Is it a happy fate to die on the end of some villager’s spear?"

"We must not live our lives in fear of the outside world dear. What point is there in living if you are afraid of dying? If you spend your whole life avoiding death, you might not spend any of it actually living. Besides, our daughter is young. Perhaps she will hate conflict, or perhaps she will simply be inept! Then she would have to spend her life raising children, or planting vegetables." His wife's voice was still filled with levity, but her husband only muttered "Perhaps..."

 

3